REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #26
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

I’m sure you can find someone to repaint the exterior for 4K. You won’t get any urethane parts removed and exterior only no inners. Striping it to bare metal though. Your asking a lot. Not only the time but the materials to do so is going to cost a lot
Advertisement
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #27
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Plasti-dip is a form of liquid wrap. Liquid wrap is a general term for anything that is sprayed and wrapped. Liquid wrap used in this context is a higher end product that is applied with paint setups. It is higher quality, has more customization, and is more flexible than the comparable plasti-dip.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #28
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
I’m sure you can find someone to repaint the exterior for 4K. You won’t get any urethane parts removed and exterior only no inners. Striping it to bare metal though. Your asking a lot. Not only the time but the materials to do so is going to cost a lot
This.

Like I said, your budget is going to get you a scuff and shoot.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #29
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -vancityguy- View Post
I am guessing even Cheap Auto Body could do a better job if I were to pay more?
I really do not think so. I recall my friend telling me that doing a better job is not his mantra. His target clientele are people who have a limited budget and want a quick and dirty paint job to get the job done.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #30
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,385 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:

I don't know enough about wraps, I would really have to look into it and I'd prefer not to go the Maaco route(if possible)

Old 07-07-2019, 05:44 PM   #31
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
If you don't have prior experience with vinyl wrapping - doing a full vehicle yourself would be way too hard.
You can definitely give Plasti Dip a try with various DIY kits - it is definitely a lot easier to do and you don't need prior experience with painting as there are many videos online to guide you through the process.

Spoiler!

I have applied Plasti Dip and other liquid wrap coatings for years, both as a hobby and professionally. Generally the other stuff requires equipment similarly used for traditional painting such as HVLP guns, air compressors, etc. Plasti Dip is more cost effective and easier to do and you only need cheaper turbine setups. Do not expect the more professional liquid wraps to be a "cheap" way to respray a car - in some cases the material costs exceed that of a paint job. To be quite frank, I wouldn't bother with the more "higher end" liquid wraps as that money would be bettter off going into a professional paint job unless you have a supercar or something along those lines that should have its factory paint intact.

If your car is older, you should definitely consider doing a DIY-style paint job. You got nothing to lose.
If you have a budget for 3-4k I doubt anyone will be willing to bring a car down to bare metal unless you want to prep it yourself beforehand.

This Youtuber has some good information if you're looking to give it a shot yourself with aerosols:

I have actually sprayed a car with the information above and it turned out a lot better than I expected.
I'd honestly skip the Plasti Dip/vinyl wrap trend and give this DIY painting method a shot before considering anything else. If your car has old paint then why bother with having anything removable to being with?
If you are just wanting a decent job, definitely go the DIY route. I personally would not drop 3-4k for a look you can probably have done by yourself for a fraction of the cost

Last edited by ForeverYours; 07-07-2019 at 06:21 PM.
ForeverYours is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #32
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
the first thing that caught my eyes was not the wheels but the teal factory paint in the window jamb

killed it for me
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #33
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,267 Times in 291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the first thing that caught my eyes was not the wheels but the teal factory paint in the window jamb

killed it for me
Less noticeable when windows are up
Old 07-07-2019, 07:21 PM   #34
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,701 Times in 3,129 Posts
HOREY SHIT, 27 bucks to spraycan a car!?!? and it doesnt even look half bad. If i buy a XRS corolla thats the first thing im gonna do.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
HOREY SHIT, 27 bucks to spraycan a car!?!? and it doesnt even look half bad. If i buy a XRS corolla thats the first thing im gonna do.
I've done it. But 30 bucks gets you really shitty discount spray paint.

The materials are cheap, the labour involved in insane. It took me a month to paint the interior of a car, but it came out like it rolled out of a paint shop.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:29 AM   #36
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
There’s no reason a spray can job, with appropriate wet sanding won’t turn out like a professional job. It just won’t have the adhesion properties that a true epoxy paint will. It’s the same amount of labour either way. Probably more as your final finish will probably require more work over a proper spray setup.

Do you really want to put in all that effort for something that won’t last. Might as well pay $1000 extra for the proper products.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #37
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR6GTI View Post
That's the plan. I need to sort out my mechanical right now so paint wont be just yet.

I am probably going to pick up a DA polisher and see what kind of improvements I can make for time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I really do not think so. I recall my friend telling me that doing a better job is not his mantra. His target clientele are people who have a limited budget and want a quick and dirty paint job to get the job done.
I'll give the guy a call and see what he says, no harm.

Last edited by -vancityguy-; 07-08-2019 at 10:57 PM.
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #38
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
I've watched enough youtube rebuilds where the process might be simple enough:
If you can DIY steps 1-4, you might be able to cut down on a lot of the cost.

1) Sand existing paint so there isn't any chipped paint with 800 grit sand paper which could compromise the new layer.
2) body filler on the dents and sand smooth again with 800 grit?
3) prime the paint and sand again (higher grit sand paper?)
4) wipe down with "tack cloth" and degrease
5) ready for adhesion promotor
6) Spray color
7) sand imperfections
8) Spray clear coat
9) sand smooth and sand away orange peel
10) Buff & Polish
I really hope no one ever follows these steps or the grits listed. It's completely wrong

You sand old paint\primer 400-600 grit depending if it's solvent or water based paint.
Body filler is 180-220 grit. Featheredge\back sanding repair work with 320 grit.
You degrease before you wipe with a tackcloth.
There's no adhesion promoter that's what sanding is for
Spray primer sealer before paint application
Sanding imperfections require additional color coats.
Wait roughly 30 days for proper cured paint
Wetsand 1500-2000-3000 Polish course-medium-fine\swirl remover

Quote:
Looking to do a repaint on a older vehicle. I just want to strip off all old paint and respray.

Any recommendations on a shop or someone that paints on their own time outside of work type deal?

I know paint is super expensive but I don't need show quality or factory quality paint. I just want a decent, clean job.
OP. Your Vette is fiberglass body. The only way to properly strip the paint off is media blasting using walnut shells/plastic beads or the best is soda blasting using baking soda. OEM Vette body doesn't have gelcoats only resin finishes so the blaster is gonna need to be experienced. Like someone already stated your budget really is to sand and paint.
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #39
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6thGear. View Post
OP. Your Vette is fiberglass body. The only way to properly strip the paint off is media blasting using walnut shells/plastic beads or the best is soda blasting using baking soda. OEM Vette body doesn't have gelcoats only resin finishes so the blaster is gonna need to be experienced. Like someone already stated your budget really is to sand and paint.
Have you got any recommendations?
-vancityguy- is offline   Reply With Quote