REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Toyota Thread (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716260-toyota-thread.html)

bcrdukes 07-08-2019 03:36 PM

Toyota Thread

Inspired by the BMW Thread, and 68style's (semi) serious post, this thread is to talk about how boring their Toyota cars are, and how nothing ever breaks, and there are little to no mods for them, with exception of the MR2, Celica, Supra, AE86, and GT86/FRS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8953026)
Is someone going to start a Toyota thread? Oh wait... nothing ever goes wrong with Toyotas... how boring... nevermind

:troll:

2017 Toyota Corolla iM

No mods available. No problems. Gets me from A to B and great for grocery runs. Far too reliable. Cooling system will not explode. :alone:

Maintenance - All oil changes and related filters. Cost = $0. Covered as part of vehicle purchase with Toyota. :cry:

punkwax 07-08-2019 03:44 PM

‘13 Sienna Limited AWD here. :cool:

Drains batteries quickly. Replaced two in the last 4 years. Known issue apparently. Can’t watch movies without the van running (found out the hard way in a ferry lineup after 20 mins with kids in the back). Any potential fixes out there? We’d like to hit a drive in theatre one night but that doesn’t really seem to be an option unless we brought a battery powered radio or something.

Other than that, no real issues but I’ve noticed a little whirring sound toward the rear recently so should get that checked out. If anyone has any ideas as to what that might be, please let me know :D

bcrdukes 07-08-2019 03:47 PM

I'm surprised anyone even replied to this thread!

68style 07-08-2019 04:07 PM

94 MR2 the turbo started leaking around 200,000kms and 20 years... replaced with another used Toyota turbo and good to go... currently at 260,000kms and no problems except I think a tie rod failed once? Can’t remember hahaha... has quite a few mods or did until I stripped some for collector plates.

Manual and automatic IS300’s no issues with either one in 1 and 4 years of ownership respectively. They’re at 145,000 and 205,000kms respectively.

Had a 2000 Toyota Celica back in the day for 3 years 120,000kms sold it with stock brakes still at 70%... took it in for warranty once with a squeaky clutch pedal that needed lube.

Dad has a 2003 Highlander with 230,000kms its never had a rebuild or any major work. Transmission gasket is weeping slightly though...

Problems? What problems? Lol

Note that all my Toyota’s have been Japan built... I anticipate a bunch of Toyota owners with models built in USA are going to come in and fuck up our gloating lol

bcrdukes 07-08-2019 04:23 PM

Such a boring thread :sweetjesus:

68style 07-08-2019 04:35 PM

I got some excitement... the finish on the centrecaps for my Sport Design specific wheels on the IS300 has gone to shit and replacements are $50 each and jsut went out of stock in the USA :(

bcrdukes 07-08-2019 04:39 PM

Wow, hearing that for a Toyota/Lexus is as bad as a VANOS failure on a BMW. :okay:

DavidNguyen 07-08-2019 05:17 PM

I got a 09 venza. Took it to dealership. They said my rear driverside differential is leaking. They quoted me 400

How important is this for me to fix?

Zedbra 07-08-2019 05:20 PM

I've never come across a Toyota I haven't wanted to pass.

68style 07-08-2019 05:47 PM

Were you ever able to pass them tho? Volkswagen Jettas are pretty slow

Fafine 07-08-2019 05:48 PM

http://i64.tinypic.com/2evw23d.jpg
Just enjoying the Canada day long weekend.

Badhobz 07-08-2019 06:25 PM

ive had quite a few lexus and yotas and none of them have anything to really report.

my 02 sc430 ran like it was brand new till i got rid of it. My father in laws sc430 which i found for him 2 years ago still runs like the day it rolled off the assembly line.

the 2 ratrollas (06 and 16) ive had were all flawless (although the newer rolla seats were absolute dog shit and thin as hell)

wife's ES hit the 10-year mark and still runs flawlessly even though she treats it like crap every single day. We are talking instant cold start, and then foot hard on gas for 10+ years and still not a damn thing wrong.

my dads RX400h is almost 200k and not a peep. Although they replaced the brake actuator pump under recall cuz it sounded like he was murdering a duck every time he stomped on the brakes. He's still getting 10l/100km all day long. Even if the hybrid battery goes, that car has done more than its fair share of duties for the family. I took that thing down to california and it was the best highway cruiser ive ever driven.

Suffice to say, Toyota's got my loyalty.

toyota86 07-08-2019 06:46 PM

1J and 2J life is good. Glad I gave up on BMW. Wish I had done it sooner.

white rocket 07-08-2019 06:57 PM

Yay Toyota!

I took my drivers road test in my moms 1986 Toyota Cressida. Rear shock failure made for poor mans hydraulics. It was pimp though. Fully loaded, decent 6 cylinder motor from what I can remember, Technics stereo with a crazy EQ, RWD FTW! Loved that car.

My very first car ever was a 1988 Toyota Celica GT coupe(trunk, not hatch). It was slow-a-matic but had a sunroof and I put a nice boom in it(boom, haha!). It served its purpose for flossin' at school trying to look hard. No issues whatsoever. Moved onto a Mazda B2200 when I got into minitruckin'.

A few years later I was blessed with a 1989 Tercel 2 door hatchback. A low point in my vehicular life but it definitely served its purpose being ultra reliable and good on fuel.

Moved onto a 1990 Supra Turbo. Dark blue, automatic, targa top. Threw a Dynomax muffler on it for that drone. Put a JL 12" in the back and it bumped. Robson cruising was strong at this point. Fastest I have ever driven on a public road was in this car. Fun times were had. It starting having cooling issues so I dumped it.

Moved onto a 1993 4Runner SR5 manual. Leather, sunroof yet a 5 speed trans. Moved stereo from Supra to the 4Runner. Bumped hard. A few trips to Sunpeaks in Kamloops, lots of trips to Triangle Beach. Went anywhere I took it. Got an offer I couldn't refuse so I decided to make money on it after only having it less than a year. It was a cherry though I regretted selling it later on.

Wife had a new 2012 Prius. Loved it although I was choked that it only came with lame-ass hubcaps while the Sport had the alloys even though ours had more options. Weird. It was a dream though. $50 fill, lasted over 2 weeks with commutes downtown from Richmond daily, lots of hatchback room, hybrid torque was nice, JBL stereo bumped hard, dealer paid for all servicing which was minimal over 4 years of ownership; easiest car to own. Ever. Sold it with just under 80,000kms and the brakes/tires were still 70%. Ridiculous. Sold it for an Odyssey when we had our second kid. For the record I wanted the Sienna but she liked the driving feel of the Odyssey.

Parents had a 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited for a minute. Worked well, sold it pretty quick though.

Current status: 2019 4Runner TRD Pro. Everything I want in a daily driver. Comfort but low tech. Everything I need, nothing I don't. I'm still geeking out months later. It gets overlooked due to poor fuel consumption numbers and only a 5 speed trans but I like the tried test true motif. Less to break, worry-free driving and off roading.

This is my life now

I'm excited for new Sequoia info as that will be the wifes upgrade when VW warranty runs out on her Atlas.

Even if you hate Toyota you can't argue cost and value of ownership. It's just too easy.

Low key dream car is a panda AE86. Goosebumps every time I see one.

Zedbra 07-08-2019 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8953049)
Were you ever able to pass them tho? Volkswagen Jettas are pretty slow

All the time, 110 cubic inch Harley's are not.

68style 07-08-2019 08:22 PM

I’m surprised you can still feel your hands to type messages after riding that thing around :lol

GS8 07-08-2019 08:23 PM

I like sleepers so naturally I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it

https://i.wheelsage.org/pictures/t/t..._tourer_v.jpeg

in Gran Turismo 1...

Could have bought one (Tourer V) 7 years ago when they were cheap but given my commute at the time, I couldn't bother with RHD. I also should have bought an old man Cressida before they became chopped up and abused for drifting.

I guess I could always source a Camry SE. The ones that could hit 60mph in under 6 seconds.

toyota86 07-08-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8953064)
I like sleepers so naturally I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it

https://i.wheelsage.org/pictures/t/t..._tourer_v.jpeg

in Gran Turismo 1...

Could have bought one (Tourer V) 7 years ago when they were cheap but given my commute at the time, I couldn't bother with RHD. I also should have bought an old man Cressida before they became chopped up and abused for drifting.

I guess I could always source a Camry SE. The ones that could hit 60mph in under 6 seconds.

I started stock piling jzx110. its much more sleeper than a 100. Most people mistake it for a camry or corolla from the mid 2000s.

TouringTeg 07-08-2019 09:12 PM

I have had 92 Lexus SC400 and 94 Toyota Supra TT (JDM)
My parents and sister both have RX suvs (1 hybrid and 2 ice) plus a low mileage Toyota Echo 4 door that will likely run forever. They rarely have to spend money on maintenance. Just timing belt/water pump. Saves money but also time and stress.

Wife owned an 09 Matrix 1.8L and it was a lemon. Failed coil packs a few times while driving. Then a timing tension snapped and chain did damage. That was a big bill right before selling it.

After owning Nissan, Honda and Toyota I would certainly buy a Honda or Toyota again. I thought long and hard about a local LHD Supra TT 6spd. In the end it has older car problems (like discontinued parts) and needs paint while having far less luxury than 1M.

White rocket that 4runner is sweet.

68style those are pricey caps and sucks they are out of stock. 1M caps = $19, CAD ITR caps = $30 CAD

twitchyzero 07-08-2019 09:13 PM

can Cavalier, 86 and A90 Supra owners post in here? :troll:

i was lucky enough to try a TLC 70, now i just need to give the Defender a whirl

https://www.wallpaperup.com/uploads/...d1629a-700.jpg

Edison_Chen 07-08-2019 10:12 PM

My wife is still currently driving her 2013 Corolla. My kids call it the “la la car”. Even though it only has less than 40,000 kms, 99% of its life consist of short trips, taking the kids to from school and activities within Richmond. We take it to the stealership for service every 6 months. There’s been 0 issues with it since she bought it new in 2013.

I drive a 2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited. It’s primarily a garage queen. It’s stock except for a few protection items (undercoat, ceramic costing and expel ppf) and Weathertech floor liners. It’s not even broken in, so I can’t comment on the reliability. Based on reviews it’s bulletproof. I don’t take it offroad, it’s primarily a mall crawler.

mb_ 07-08-2019 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8953042)
Wow, hearing that for a Toyota/Lexus is as bad as a VANOS failure on a BMW. :okay:

Haven't heard or seen a complete failure at work, just rattle noise during startup but operationally the car runs fine. For the 2GR engine anyways.

Does a Subaru engined Toyota count?! :troll:

asma123 07-08-2019 10:28 PM

I have a 2016 4Runner limited.
First mod I did is change those ugly yellow halogen lights for led running lights and hid for night time. Led fogs. All white. So far no issues but then again car only has like 37k km as of now.
One thing I will say. This cars windshield is like a rock magnet. I’ve owned many cars throughout the years and never even had a chip. With this car I’ve already had to have like 4-5 rock chips filled. One time I got 2 chips in 1 trip going from Richmond to pitt meadows and back. I was pretty pissed off that day. I’m not sure if it’s the quality of the glass or the angle but it is oem toyota glass so I’m not sure if they just cheaped out on the glass for these cars.

coneZONE 07-08-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8953075)
i was lucky enough to try a TLC 70, now i just need to give the Defender a whirl

Wow, so lucky!!! New/current 70-Series?

Been a little bit of a Land Cruiser nut almost my whole life, thanks to my dad.
Growing up, we had a blue '85 Pickup (Hilux) 2WD, '82 Land Cruiser BJ60 wagon, '87 LC HJ60 wagon, '87 LC BJ70 SWB hardtop, and '85 BJ70 SWB hardtop. And a '93 Previa, which was a total lemon.

The only new car my family ever bought is an '05 Matrix, still great. About 130,000km. Base model, manual transmission, power locks. My dad chose the black one, he says it makes it "look mysterious" but really it just blended in the unpainted door handles and side mirrors. I actually added factory cruise control, adjustable intermittent wipers, and fog lamps. So it almost makes it into an XR, minus the ABS. It was super easy. All I did was grab the associated switches/stalks/relay from an XRS in the junk yard and swapped them over. Toyota wanted $300 each fog assy, so i got Depo for $50 each. Having cruise in a manual is silly. I only used it once when we went down to the states and had a long stretch on the I5.

All the Land Cruisers had the typical 80s Toyota rust... and over the years, we've gotten rid of them, but still have the 1985 one remaining. It's my project. 307,000 km. Rust isn't the worst problem... main problem is that most of the engine parts are NLA/obsolete... And getting a RHD JDM cruiser isn't really what I desire... I hope I can still find a head gasket kit somewhere. Body parts are ok though. Through research and p/n cross referencing from newer models (70 series are still in production from Nov 1984 - current fyi for the peeps who don't know) it can still be done... but i'm not made of gold

toyota86 07-08-2019 11:21 PM

Aussie spec LC76. V8 twin turbo diesel 5mt with lockers. importable soon. only australia got this spec so rhd only.