REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
Toyota Thread

Inspired by the BMW Thread, and 68style's (semi) serious post, this thread is to talk about how boring their Toyota cars are, and how nothing ever breaks, and there are little to no mods for them, with exception of the MR2, Celica, Supra, AE86, and GT86/FRS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Is someone going to start a Toyota thread? Oh wait... nothing ever goes wrong with Toyotas... how boring... nevermind

2017 Toyota Corolla iM

No mods available. No problems. Gets me from A to B and great for grocery runs. Far too reliable. Cooling system will not explode.

Maintenance - All oil changes and related filters. Cost = $0. Covered as part of vehicle purchase with Toyota.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,037 Times in 2,075 Posts
‘13 Sienna Limited AWD here.

Drains batteries quickly. Replaced two in the last 4 years. Known issue apparently. Can’t watch movies without the van running (found out the hard way in a ferry lineup after 20 mins with kids in the back). Any potential fixes out there? We’d like to hit a drive in theatre one night but that doesn’t really seem to be an option unless we brought a battery powered radio or something.

Other than that, no real issues but I’ve noticed a little whirring sound toward the rear recently so should get that checked out. If anyone has any ideas as to what that might be, please let me know

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
RS Veteran

I'm surprised anyone even replied to this thread!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,358 Times in 5,072 Posts
94 MR2 the turbo started leaking around 200,000kms and 20 years... replaced with another used Toyota turbo and good to go... currently at 260,000kms and no problems except I think a tie rod failed once? Can’t remember hahaha... has quite a few mods or did until I stripped some for collector plates.

Manual and automatic IS300’s no issues with either one in 1 and 4 years of ownership respectively. They’re at 145,000 and 205,000kms respectively.

Had a 2000 Toyota Celica back in the day for 3 years 120,000kms sold it with stock brakes still at 70%... took it in for warranty once with a squeaky clutch pedal that needed lube.

Dad has a 2003 Highlander with 230,000kms its never had a rebuild or any major work. Transmission gasket is weeping slightly though...

Problems? What problems? Lol

Note that all my Toyota’s have been Japan built... I anticipate a bunch of Toyota owners with models built in USA are going to come in and fuck up our gloating lol
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
RS Veteran

Such a boring thread

This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
Performance Moderator

I got some excitement... the finish on the centrecaps for my Sport Design specific wheels on the IS300 has gone to shit and replacements are $50 each and jsut went out of stock in the USA
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Wow, hearing that for a Toyota/Lexus is as bad as a VANOS failure on a BMW.

This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I got a 09 venza. Took it to dealership. They said my rear driverside differential is leaking. They quoted me 400

How important is this for me to fix?
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
I've never come across a Toyota I haven't wanted to pass.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 PM   #10
Performance Moderator

Were you ever able to pass them tho? Volkswagen Jettas are pretty slow
Old 07-08-2019, 05:48 PM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts

Just enjoying the Canada day long weekend.
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #12
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,642 Times in 3,104 Posts
ive had quite a few lexus and yotas and none of them have anything to really report.

my 02 sc430 ran like it was brand new till i got rid of it. My father in laws sc430 which i found for him 2 years ago still runs like the day it rolled off the assembly line.

the 2 ratrollas (06 and 16) ive had were all flawless (although the newer rolla seats were absolute dog shit and thin as hell)

wife's ES hit the 10-year mark and still runs flawlessly even though she treats it like crap every single day. We are talking instant cold start, and then foot hard on gas for 10+ years and still not a damn thing wrong.

my dads RX400h is almost 200k and not a peep. Although they replaced the brake actuator pump under recall cuz it sounded like he was murdering a duck every time he stomped on the brakes. He's still getting 10l/100km all day long. Even if the hybrid battery goes, that car has done more than its fair share of duties for the family. I took that thing down to california and it was the best highway cruiser ive ever driven.

Suffice to say, Toyota's got my loyalty.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

1J and 2J life is good. Glad I gave up on BMW. Wish I had done it sooner.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Yay Toyota!

I took my drivers road test in my moms 1986 Toyota Cressida. Rear shock failure made for poor mans hydraulics. It was pimp though. Fully loaded, decent 6 cylinder motor from what I can remember, Technics stereo with a crazy EQ, RWD FTW! Loved that car.

My very first car ever was a 1988 Toyota Celica GT coupe(trunk, not hatch). It was slow-a-matic but had a sunroof and I put a nice boom in it(boom, haha!). It served its purpose for flossin' at school trying to look hard. No issues whatsoever. Moved onto a Mazda B2200 when I got into minitruckin'.

A few years later I was blessed with a 1989 Tercel 2 door hatchback. A low point in my vehicular life but it definitely served its purpose being ultra reliable and good on fuel.

Moved onto a 1990 Supra Turbo. Dark blue, automatic, targa top. Threw a Dynomax muffler on it for that drone. Put a JL 12" in the back and it bumped. Robson cruising was strong at this point. Fastest I have ever driven on a public road was in this car. Fun times were had. It starting having cooling issues so I dumped it.

Moved onto a 1993 4Runner SR5 manual. Leather, sunroof yet a 5 speed trans. Moved stereo from Supra to the 4Runner. Bumped hard. A few trips to Sunpeaks in Kamloops, lots of trips to Triangle Beach. Went anywhere I took it. Got an offer I couldn't refuse so I decided to make money on it after only having it less than a year. It was a cherry though I regretted selling it later on.

Wife had a new 2012 Prius. Loved it although I was choked that it only came with lame-ass hubcaps while the Sport had the alloys even though ours had more options. Weird. It was a dream though. $50 fill, lasted over 2 weeks with commutes downtown from Richmond daily, lots of hatchback room, hybrid torque was nice, JBL stereo bumped hard, dealer paid for all servicing which was minimal over 4 years of ownership; easiest car to own. Ever. Sold it with just under 80,000kms and the brakes/tires were still 70%. Ridiculous. Sold it for an Odyssey when we had our second kid. For the record I wanted the Sienna but she liked the driving feel of the Odyssey.

Parents had a 2009 Highlander Hybrid Limited for a minute. Worked well, sold it pretty quick though.

Current status: 2019 4Runner TRD Pro. Everything I want in a daily driver. Comfort but low tech. Everything I need, nothing I don't. I'm still geeking out months later. It gets overlooked due to poor fuel consumption numbers and only a 5 speed trans but I like the tried test true motif. Less to break, worry-free driving and off roading.

This is my life now
Spoiler!

I'm excited for new Sequoia info as that will be the wifes upgrade when VW warranty runs out on her Atlas.

Even if you hate Toyota you can't argue cost and value of ownership. It's just too easy.

Low key dream car is a panda AE86. Goosebumps every time I see one.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #15
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Were you ever able to pass them tho? Volkswagen Jettas are pretty slow
All the time, 110 cubic inch Harley's are not.
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #16
Performance Moderator

I’m surprised you can still feel your hands to type messages after riding that thing around
Old 07-08-2019, 08:23 PM   #17
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,252 Times in 1,965 Posts
I like sleepers so naturally I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it

in Gran Turismo 1...

Could have bought one (Tourer V) 7 years ago when they were cheap but given my commute at the time, I couldn't bother with RHD. I also should have bought an old man Cressida before they became chopped up and abused for drifting.

I guess I could always source a Camry SE. The ones that could hit 60mph in under 6 seconds.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 08:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I like sleepers so naturally I fell in love with this car the first time I drove it

in Gran Turismo 1...

Could have bought one (Tourer V) 7 years ago when they were cheap but given my commute at the time, I couldn't bother with RHD. I also should have bought an old man Cressida before they became chopped up and abused for drifting.

I guess I could always source a Camry SE. The ones that could hit 60mph in under 6 seconds.
I started stock piling jzx110. its much more sleeper than a 100. Most people mistake it for a camry or corolla from the mid 2000s.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:12 PM   #19
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
I have had 92 Lexus SC400 and 94 Toyota Supra TT (JDM)
My parents and sister both have RX suvs (1 hybrid and 2 ice) plus a low mileage Toyota Echo 4 door that will likely run forever. They rarely have to spend money on maintenance. Just timing belt/water pump. Saves money but also time and stress.

Wife owned an 09 Matrix 1.8L and it was a lemon. Failed coil packs a few times while driving. Then a timing tension snapped and chain did damage. That was a big bill right before selling it.

After owning Nissan, Honda and Toyota I would certainly buy a Honda or Toyota again. I thought long and hard about a local LHD Supra TT 6spd. In the end it has older car problems (like discontinued parts) and needs paint while having far less luxury than 1M.

White rocket that 4runner is sweet.

68style those are pricey caps and sucks they are out of stock. 1M caps = $19, CAD ITR caps = $30 CAD

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818

Last edited by TouringTeg; 07-08-2019 at 09:20 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
can Cavalier, 86 and A90 Supra owners post in here?

i was lucky enough to try a TLC 70, now i just need to give the Defender a whirl

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 PM   #21
I'm invisible

My wife is still currently driving her 2013 Corolla. My kids call it the “la la car”. Even though it only has less than 40,000 kms, 99% of its life consist of short trips, taking the kids to from school and activities within Richmond. We take it to the stealership for service every 6 months. There’s been 0 issues with it since she bought it new in 2013.

I drive a 2018 Toyota 4Runner Limited. It’s primarily a garage queen. It’s stock except for a few protection items (undercoat, ceramic costing and expel ppf) and Weathertech floor liners. It’s not even broken in, so I can’t comment on the reliability. Based on reviews it’s bulletproof. I don’t take it offroad, it’s primarily a mall crawler.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:20 PM   #22
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Wow, hearing that for a Toyota/Lexus is as bad as a VANOS failure on a BMW.
Haven't heard or seen a complete failure at work, just rattle noise during startup but operationally the car runs fine. For the 2GR engine anyways.

Does a Subaru engined Toyota count?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #23
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I have a 2016 4Runner limited.
First mod I did is change those ugly yellow halogen lights for led running lights and hid for night time. Led fogs. All white. So far no issues but then again car only has like 37k km as of now.
One thing I will say. This cars windshield is like a rock magnet. I’ve owned many cars throughout the years and never even had a chip. With this car I’ve already had to have like 4-5 rock chips filled. One time I got 2 chips in 1 trip going from Richmond to pitt meadows and back. I was pretty pissed off that day. I’m not sure if it’s the quality of the glass or the angle but it is oem toyota glass so I’m not sure if they just cheaped out on the glass for these cars.
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 11:18 PM   #24
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i was lucky enough to try a TLC 70, now i just need to give the Defender a whirl

Spoiler!
Wow, so lucky!!! New/current 70-Series?

Been a little bit of a Land Cruiser nut almost my whole life, thanks to my dad.
Growing up, we had a blue '85 Pickup (Hilux) 2WD, '82 Land Cruiser BJ60 wagon, '87 LC HJ60 wagon, '87 LC BJ70 SWB hardtop, and '85 BJ70 SWB hardtop. And a '93 Previa, which was a total lemon.

The only new car my family ever bought is an '05 Matrix, still great. About 130,000km. Base model, manual transmission, power locks. My dad chose the black one, he says it makes it "look mysterious" but really it just blended in the unpainted door handles and side mirrors. I actually added factory cruise control, adjustable intermittent wipers, and fog lamps. So it almost makes it into an XR, minus the ABS. It was super easy. All I did was grab the associated switches/stalks/relay from an XRS in the junk yard and swapped them over. Toyota wanted $300 each fog assy, so i got Depo for $50 each. Having cruise in a manual is silly. I only used it once when we went down to the states and had a long stretch on the I5.

All the Land Cruisers had the typical 80s Toyota rust... and over the years, we've gotten rid of them, but still have the 1985 one remaining. It's my project. 307,000 km. Rust isn't the worst problem... main problem is that most of the engine parts are NLA/obsolete... And getting a RHD JDM cruiser isn't really what I desire... I hope I can still find a head gasket kit somewhere. Body parts are ok though. Through research and p/n cross referencing from newer models (70 series are still in production from Nov 1984 - current fyi for the peeps who don't know) it can still be done... but i'm not made of gold
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2019, 11:21 PM   #25

Aussie spec LC76. V8 twin turbo diesel 5mt with lockers. importable soon. only australia got this spec so rhd only.
This post thanked by: