REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-21-2019, 09:00 AM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
and icbc is still operating 7-figures in the red
we have too many high end cars here, $120k+ vehicles should be insured privately so it doesnt affect Civic owners
Trust me, it's not the 120k cars screwing your premiums. It's the hundreds of thousands of claims on cars worth 20-30k, the body shops charging 3k for a scratch and the drivers suing for 50k in neck pain. It's easy to point finger at high dollar cars, but the reality is they make up a very small percentage of actual cars on the road. The sheer volume of claims on economy cars far outweighs the six-figure ones. For every 911 that crashes, 100+ civics are wrecked. Even if a 5% of those claimed injuries, the payout will far outweigh the 30k repair bill on the 911.

Most cars on the road are much less than 120k.

Bodyshops are getting rich and ppl are more likely to claim injuries and milk it as much as they can because they feel they've been bent over for so many years. Look at what body shop owners drive and i'll let you guess who is the one making money hand over fist, buying 10-20k road bikes every month.
Advertisement

Last edited by trollface; 08-21-2019 at 09:08 AM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #27
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
Look at what body shop owners drive and i'll let you guess who is the one making money hand over fist, buying 10-20k road bikes every month.
Lmao is this a dig at Fastrack?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,136 Times in 3,972 Posts
Crazy theory here, but there's no one single reason for everyone else getting screwed but everything adds up. There are more accidents involving cheaper cars but when the bill for the repairs on a single car are nearly $800k with some mega rich guy wanting another $200k because his fragile ego got bruised it counts towards the rest of us getting screwed just as much as by $1M worth of Civic accidents.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Lmao is this a dig at Fastrack?
No idea who that is.

Quote:
Crazy theory here, but there's no one single reason for everyone else getting screwed but everything adds up. There are more accidents involving cheaper cars but when the bill for the repairs on a single car are nearly $800k with some mega rich guy wanting another $200k because his fragile ego got bruised it counts towards the rest of us getting screwed just as much as by $1M worth of Civic accidents.
It all adds up, but these 800k claims are crazy outliers that will never happen again until I'm dead. It's just good news so everyone points fingers without really looking at the whole picture. $800k claim / avg $3,500 bumper is only 228 claims. We get that all day, every day and twice on Sundays.. It's a drop in the bucket.

Last edited by trollface; 08-21-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:22 AM   #30
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,406 Times in 5,469 Posts
^
I get your argument, but no idea where you're getting you numbers from... they're kind of wild exaggerations... I've seen plenty of ICBC claims for bumpers on Civics and they never exceed $800.00 + paint. Still too expensive, but not $3,000+ as you're saying. Also, ICBC has instituted the low velocity impact limitations program to counteract the $50k neck claims you're quoting.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Also, all of those Civics also pay more in total premiums on an annual basis than that an exotic driver(s) do.

The F40 was also on collector plates, so I wonder if he gets super low rates as well and pays the same as even 1 Civic

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:19 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakkaboy View Post
Also, all of those Civics also pay more in total premiums on an annual basis than that an exotic driver(s) do.

The F40 was also on collector plates, so I wonder if he gets super low rates as well and pays the same as even 1 Civic
That's not how collector's plates work. Collector's plates is not a free pass to ensure anything worth 5,000 to 5million for 600 bucks a year and have the value covered.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,842 Times in 3,911 Posts
Quote:
Trust me, it's not the 120k cars screwing your premiums. It's the hundreds of thousands of claims on cars worth 20-30k, the body shops charging 3k for a scratch and the drivers suing for 50k in neck pain. It's easy to point finger at high dollar cars, but the reality is they make up a very small percentage of actual cars on the road. The sheer volume of claims on economy cars far outweighs the six-figure ones. For every 911 that crashes, 100+ civics are wrecked. Even if a 5% of those claimed injuries, the payout will far outweigh the 30k repair bill on the 911.

Bodyshops are getting rich and ppl are more likely to claim injuries and milk it as much as they can because they feel they've been bent over for so many years. Look at what body shop owners drive and i'll let you guess who is the one making money hand over fist, buying 10-20k road bikes every month.
is icbc the only auto insurance monopoly in north america?
there's gotta be somewhere else that has a similar model and have much better finances...unless they have equally scammy motorists/body shops as you claim
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:26 PM   #34
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:

For someone who's never heard of Fastrack you sure make it sound like you know a lot about claims and bodyshops, so which means you either work for ICBC or you're talking out of your ass. You also clearly never worked in a shop dealing with newer model cars. Have you ever taken apart a Hyundai/Kia where it's 1 time use clips on everything or headlights on German cars that dealers charge $2500+? Where every customer coming in wants OEM parts but don't have Replacement Cost. Maybe every second car being painted is a Tricoat color. Worse yet, Manufacturers now have Quad-coat colors which requires the car to be painted twice to achieve proper color match (Yeah, I'm looking at you Nissan and Mazda). Look at Ford, their Ruby red color, Code "RR" is a tricoat red which requires red candy additive which costs $400 for 1/2 pint. Have you seen the amount of red Fords on the road?

The problem isn't body shops over charging, the problem is rising costs of OEM parts, which dealers mark up, people buying optioned out vehicles with enough gadgets and sensors to let them know when to wipe their own asses with then wanting every single thing down to clips being brand new. Then not to mention practically every new car paintjob is bordering custom paintwork. Not to mention seems like every second car on the road is a new car, german luxury or exotic. The only thing you got right is that there isn't 1 thing to blame, it's everything all rolled up and everyone has a share in the blame, from cars being more expensive to people getting new cars every few years, and rising parts prices to repairs getting more difficult. And now ICBC is paying out too much cause it's out of control so they raise premiums to cover their losses, then everyone complains and expects ICBC to cover costs for every single non accident related chip/dent/scratch cause "Hey, what am I paying insurance for???" It's a nasty cycle that won't end, but what the hell....lets just point the finger to bodyshops...
6thGear. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:54 AM   #35
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,073 Times in 2,092 Posts
^

Triggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:03 AM   #36

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/icbc-doubles-e...ling-1.4363233

"CTV News obtained an internal ICBC data extract that looked at one week's worth of these claims in 2017. Estimators turned down about $225,000 worth of extra parts, labour and other charges they said weren’t necessary. That was about 40 per cent of the time."

/shrug

Last edited by trollface; 08-22-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
is icbc the only auto insurance monopoly in north america?
there's gotta be somewhere else that has a similar model and have much better finances...unless they have equally scammy motorists/body shops as you claim
You can actually just buy basic from ICBC for a few hundo and insure 3rd party. But most ppl don't do it because it's a pain in the ass compared to your savings.
Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,842 Times in 3,911 Posts
that's what i do

what i meant is i doubt icbc's problems are unique

oem parts for modern cars going up in price? there are new cars in other jurisdictions that are also getting into collisions
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote