REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-27-2019, 03:20 PM   #51
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
A bit of a rant but I just think ultimately, our lifestyle and entitlement is the biggest problem.
Indeed the underlying issue is simply population growth and consumerism. Pointing the finger at any specific industry or group is futile, virtually all social/economic activity on the planet will affect the environment in a negative way.

My opinion on climate change is generally not aligned with the climate sensationalists or the deniers, there is absolutely a link between C02 levels and global temperatures, C02 levels are higher now than they have been in the last 800,000 years, global temperatures have increased by roughly 1 degree Celsius since the start of the industrial revolution, these are facts that cannot be denied.

However, the correlation between C02 levels and global temperatures is just that, a correlation. Though I do believe we are harming the environment with our polluting 'consumptuous' ways, I don't at all agree with the outrageous predictions of irreversible damage to the planet within the next xx years.

I think back to the expert predictions around acid rain and peak oil, we now know those "experts" were full of shit. The predictions of rising ocean levels offered by Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth (2006) suggested we would see an increase of 20ft "in the near future", in 2019 we now know the maximum increase we can expect to see between now and 2100 is more like 20 inches.

The majority of people I know that like to regurgitate the climate crisis sensationalism are hypocritical dullards that get their "information" from headlines and facebook posts. They celebrate the dramatic rants of a 16 year old girl raised by an opera singer and an actor/director, she's not a researcher performing groundbreaking work, she's a child that was elevated to the status of hero by her classmates for getting them out of school every other friday on the notion of a "climate strike".

If you've never taken the time to actually digest the data related to climate change then you shouldn't be entitled to an opinion on it. There is absolutely a political motivation by which the "end of the world" as a result of climate change is the instrument by which irresponsible or unfounded policies and spending is justified.

Note the long term trend of correlation between C02 and global temperatures.

C02 levels over the last 1000 years (Peaked out today around 400ppm, currently increasing at about 3ppm/decade)

And the standard global temperature deviation over the last 1500 years.

For sure we are fucking up the planet and we need to do better, but GTFO with the doomsday bullshit. People just need to start making a more conscious decision to do better in their personal lives, just like we learned to "reduce, reuse, and recycle" as kids we need to practice an overall reduction in consumerism to reduce our impact on the environment.

The government is full of shit, on one hand they are pushing unfounded climate crisis related policies and on the other they are pushing for increased population. These two issues are damn near as mutually exclusive as it gets.

AND YOU CAN TAKE MY GT3 RS AWAY WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
did you guys have fun biking in the torrential downpour just now?

main & king ed was flooding (the curb was disappearing)
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:56 PM   #53
HELP ME PLS!!!

Our temperature regulator still exists. For example, an ice bath will stay at 0C until you add enough heat to melt all the ice. Then the sensible heat can be measured as temperature, as it will rise. A measure of how much heat we're holding or absorbing is watching the ice caps shrink over the years. IMO.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:31 PM   #54
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Indeed the underlying issue is simply population growth and consumerism. Pointing the finger at any specific industry or group is futile, virtually all social/economic activity on the planet will affect the environment in a negative way.

My opinion on climate change is generally not aligned with the climate sensationalists or the deniers, there is absolutely a link between C02 levels and global temperatures, C02 levels are higher now than they have been in the last 800,000 years, global temperatures have increased by roughly 1 degree Celsius since the start of the industrial revolution, these are facts that cannot be denied.

However, the correlation between C02 levels and global temperatures is just that, a correlation. Though I do believe we are harming the environment with our polluting 'consumptuous' ways, I don't at all agree with the outrageous predictions of irreversible damage to the planet within the next xx years.

I think back to the expert predictions around acid rain and peak oil, we now know those "experts" were full of shit. The predictions of rising ocean levels offered by Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth (2006) suggested we would see an increase of 20ft "in the near future", in 2019 we now know the maximum increase we can expect to see between now and 2100 is more like 20 inches.

The majority of people I know that like to regurgitate the climate crisis sensationalism are hypocritical dullards that get their "information" from headlines and facebook posts. They celebrate the dramatic rants of a 16 year old girl raised by an opera singer and an actor/director, she's not a researcher performing groundbreaking work, she's a child that was elevated to the status of hero by her classmates for getting them out of school every other friday on the notion of a "climate strike".

If you've never taken the time to actually digest the data related to climate change then you shouldn't be entitled to an opinion on it. There is absolutely a political motivation by which the "end of the world" as a result of climate change is the instrument by which irresponsible or unfounded policies and spending is justified.

Note the long term trend of correlation between C02 and global temperatures.

C02 levels over the last 1000 years (Peaked out today around 400ppm, currently increasing at about 3ppm/decade)

And the standard global temperature deviation over the last 1500 years.

For sure we are fucking up the planet and we need to do better, but GTFO with the doomsday bullshit. People just need to start making a more conscious decision to do better in their personal lives, just like we learned to "reduce, reuse, and recycle" as kids we need to practice an overall reduction in consumerism to reduce our impact on the environment.

The government is full of shit, on one hand they are pushing unfounded climate crisis related policies and on the other they are pushing for increased population. These two issues are damn near as mutually exclusive as it gets.

AND YOU CAN TAKE MY GT3 RS AWAY WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD FINGERS!!
The sawtooth pattern of that first graph points out just how consistently the climate changes. it always has and always will.

much debate has centred around the accuracy of the methods used in that second graph. The "hockey stick".
and here's a more complete picture showing the huge variation immediately prior

If you look at the third graph you'll notice the very large "uncertainty" shaded area.

Like I said earlier on, I'm not saying one way or the other. Just that the science is fuzzy and far from conclusive.
The methods used to obtain long term temperature data, ie through tree rings or isotopes is not considered to be entirely accurate. Even the methods to obtain global average temperatures can be contentious.

Like many, i believe in airing on the side of caution. With the size of our population now and projected growth, just about anything we do is bound to have at least some effect.
I just feel like there's a real lack of objectivity. Science should always be scrutinized. And it's a shame the matter has become so politicized. It only serves to influence perceptions rather than determine the facts.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:32 PM   #55
My homepage has been set to RS

climate change for a real?
think again...
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:09 PM   #56
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Until the world most pollutant country change their ways. Nothing we do can really change anything.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:57 AM   #57
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Until the world most pollutant country change their ways. Nothing we do can really change anything.
Someone has to take the lead. You think Ford would be working on an electric truck if it wasn't for Tesla?
Old 10-02-2019, 06:37 PM   #58

So it looks like stating anything other than complete catastrophe, in regards to climate change, is controversial and just may be tantamount to hate speech

https://globalnews.ca/news/5968266/u...ial-billboard/

Quote:
The vice-president of university relations at the University of Alberta has stepped down from her position amidst backlash over a billboard promoting potential benefits of climate change.

Jacqui Tam issued a statement late Sunday announcing her departure from the position.

“The research highlighted by the ad does not promote climate change as a benefit; nor was that the meaning intended by the ad,” Tam wrote in the statement Sunday night.

The billboard, located on 178 Street in the west end, read “beefier barley,” with subheading saying, “Climate change will boost Alberta’s barley yield with less water, feeding more cattle.”

Students and staff with the University of Alberta have slammed the message saying it ignores the catastrophic damage climate change is having.
-Norm Franz
Old 10-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #59
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Greta Thunberg is in Vancouver. I wonder how many people are going to support climate change initiatives and who is going because she’s now a celebrity.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 01:57 PM   #60
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Someone has to take the lead. You think Ford would be working on an electric truck if it wasn't for Tesla?
There are many benefits to electric vehicles that warrant their development and use regardless of climate change.
Tesla took the first plunge and showed they can be viable, but I'm not sure I'd attribute them taking that plunge solely for reasons of climate change.

In the world of selling goods such as cars, there's a direct tangible monetary benefit if you can be the first out of the gate: Market Share.

Taking a lead on implementing measures against climate change doesn't offer that same tangible benefit. All you're doing is hoping that other countries follow suit rather than just swoop in and take over areas where you made yourself less competitive in the world arena.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 10-25-2019 at 02:09 PM.
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #61
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
yes, lets rely on the 3rd world to be the leaders in solving problems even we cannot.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #62
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
yes, lets rely on the 3rd world to be the leaders in solving problems even we cannot.
No, the one first and the one second world country which amount to nearly half of the whole world's emissions need to take the lead on this.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:56 PM   #63
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
There are many benefits to electric vehicles that warrant their development and use regardless of climate change.
Tesla took the first plunge and showed they can be viable, but I'm not sure I'd attribute them taking that plunge solely for reasons of climate change.

In the world of selling goods such as cars, there's a direct tangible monetary benefit if you can be the first out of the gate: Market Share.
great point; also read that in Simon Sinek's book. Look at iphone, they were 1st to market and dominated. Is it the best product, nope, but mass market adoption side of things.. Apple definitely did.

Tesla coming to the world showing it can be done, it can be a luxury vehicle and it sure can be the 300+ km was a really proof to tell the world / car manufacturer a big F U.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 03:20 PM   #64

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
No, the one first and the one second world country which amount to nearly half of the whole world's emissions need to take the lead on this.
Well, aren't most developing countries that are seriously polluting doing so because they are making widgets and clothing for those in the 1st world?
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2019, 04:04 PM   #65
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

When rolling out another climate tax I recall Justin Trudeau saying that Canadians don’t mind paying more for environmental initiatives. Later, I learned that climate-related taxes land in the general coffers. In this video we have the UN-IPCC quoted as saying that climate policy is not environmental policy. Unfortunately, that all fits together nicely. Our money isn’t fixing the problem.

We also have a system where citing findings not exactly inline with the current narrative is tantamount to hate speech, as ‘welfare’ points out, without further consideration of their veracity. That approach always seems to turn out badly. Even if the current narrative is exactly and completely true the optics are bad.

There’s no doubt climate change is real. The earth was formed, in part, by climate change. And climate has changed a lot since. It also seems reasonable that human activity would have a detrimental effect on the environment. The question seems to be the extent and consequence of that activity. And debate seems to be forbidden. And that’s wrong. And it’s conspicuously suspicious.
One month later:
Quote:
Originally Posted by z-33 View Post
THE GUY IN THE RED SHIRT throwing the newspaper stand into the window IS INDY BHANGU FROM SURREY.
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:44 PM   #66
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancini View Post
Greta Thunberg is in Vancouver. I wonder how many people are going to support climate change initiatives and who is going because she’s now a celebrity.
Greta Thunberg addresses thousands of climate marchers in Vancouver

Ugh what a fucking nightmare downtown was this morning. I was an hour late for work cuz Burrard, Smithe and W. Georgia was all blocked off.
Way to reduce carbon imprint with 200 idling cards stuck in the core of downtown for the afternoon!

Last edited by Obsideon; 10-25-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #67
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Well, aren't most developing countries that are seriously polluting doing so because they are making widgets and clothing for those in the 1st world?
Sometimes I feel like we moved manufacturing offshore so we can point our fingers and say that's the bad guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Greta Thunberg addresses thousands of climate marchers in Vancouver

Ugh what a fucking nightmare downtown was this morning. I was an hour late for work cuz Burrard, Smithe and W. Georgia was all blocked off.
Way to reduce carbon imprint with 200 idling cards stuck in the core of downtown for the afternoon!

I don't understand why they do stuff like this. Creating awareness is an excuse that went out with the 90's, I don't think there's anyone in major cities around the world that isn't aware of climate change. All I see is them complaining, pointing fingers and offering no real solutions. Just creating a disturbance for social media.

If they really wanted to make a difference, they should stay in school. Come up with new environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, materials to replace plastics, more efficient transportation, better farming practices, etc. Nobody listens when you're shouting and disrupting their way of life.
Old 10-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Sometimes I feel like we moved manufacturing offshore so we can point our fingers and say that's the bad guy.
Well, that and the fact that we can exploit the cheap/slave labour. Once the wages increase to a reasonable amount, then companies pick up and find the next country willing to be exploited. Or maybe the better way to phrase is the next country's leader(s) willing to line their pockets while selling out their citizens.
Old 10-25-2019, 07:46 PM   #69
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Quote:
All I see is them complaining, pointing fingers and offering no real solutions. Just creating a disturbance for social media.

If they really wanted to make a difference, they should stay in school. Come up with new environmentally friendly manufacturing processes, materials to replace plastics, more efficient transportation, better farming practices, etc. Nobody listens when you're shouting and disrupting their way of life.
^This.

Just to clarify. It was a Povince-wide Pro-D day. Nobody missed classes. I don’t mind raising awareness, but none of the people in the crowd had any real solutions to the problem. Also, does the girl not realize we all have been concerned about the issues? I don’t want my children and their children’s children to live in a dying planet. Nobody does. Is she leading by example? Is she working with scientists and policy makers? You say world leaders haven’t done enough. Come up with real solutions.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 10-25-2019 at 07:54 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2019, 07:55 PM   #70

^ What kind of carbon footprint is this little girl leaving by jetting to all these different international cities?
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #71

Quote:
I don't understand why they do stuff like this. Creating awareness is an excuse that went out with the 90's, I don't think there's anyone in major cities around the world that isn't aware of climate change. All I see is them complaining, pointing fingers and offering no real solutions. Just creating a disturbance for social media.

-what do we want!?

-CHANGE!

-when do we want it!?

-NOW!

-what are we going to sacrifice!?

-HUH?
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2019, 08:16 PM   #72
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
"1500 years for sure" I saw posted, yet this planet is millions of year old and that there is the goal posts of the sheeple. But hey, RS has all the smarts here like manic and turbo that truly believe if they type it often enough, it will be true. It has to be.

I'll just listen to these world experts for an hour (and I have read some of their papers to support their teachings), all from MIT, Harvard, and the top schools in the world. Funny how they also see that politics buys science.

Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:50 PM   #73
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
"1500 years for sure" I saw posted, yet this planet is millions of year old and that there is the goal posts of the sheeple. But hey, RS has all the smarts here like manic and turbo that truly believe if they type it often enough, it will be true. It has to be.

I'll just listen to these world experts for an hour (and I have read some of their papers to support their teachings), all from MIT, Harvard, and the top schools in the world. Funny how they also see that politics buys science.

https://youtu.be/oYhCQv5tNsQ
*looks at the youtube channel logo*

SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #74
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
We should leave these to the professionals... What I can do to help is to drive less and use transit or bike around
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #75
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
^ What kind of carbon footprint is this little girl leaving by jetting to all these different international cities?
She came by Sail boat from Europe and is riding in a Tesla that Arnold Schwarzenegger let her use. She is not jetting around the world.