REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Climate Change - Another Perspective (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716473-climate-change-another-perspective.html)

Mancini 09-25-2019 08:37 PM

Climate Change - Another Perspective

welfare 09-25-2019 09:37 PM

So confusing.
Calm demeanour. Historic charts, graphs and data
Or...

MG1 09-26-2019 05:18 AM

Global warming is a "hot" topic. In my day, it was the ozone layer.............

Is man responsible for this shit? Maybe, but I'm not 100% convinced. We are definitely polluting the planet. This, I think, is more important. The cleanliness of the air we breathe, the cleanliness of the water, throwing junk all over the place, etc.

Students all over the world went on some protest/strike a week or so ago. This creepier than hell, girl goes on stage saying, "How Dare You!" Uh............ okay, all you kids out there. You have no fucking idea how hypocritical you are. I've volunteered working with youth for decades. As a PAC member, I got to travel with groups to many a schools. What did I see? Garbage all over the playing fields. Drink and water bottles in garbage cans, instead of recycling bins that are right next to the garbage can. Chip bags, chocolate and candy wrappers strewn all over the school property. Most can be seen inches away from the many garbage and recyclable bins that are available.

Instead of this, "How dare you," shit. How dare you kids ruin it for older people like me? I put all garbage into garbage bins. I recycle and reuse, all the time. I even pick up after everybody else......... mainly shit thrown out by young people. Instead of protesting and striking, why don't you spend the day cleaning up your backyards and schools?

I want to take a walk in the park without seeing garbage in the trees and shrubs. I want to go canoeing and not see waste floating in the rivers and lakes. I can go on and on.......

Stop being hypocrites. Instead of looking for your 15 minutes of fame, do something productive. Change your ways, because it's your world in the coming years.

The garbage and polluting of our planet is due to the change in the way we mass produce and package consumables. I don't think that can really change, but at least we can try to keep that shit from the landfills and oceans. Back at you, "HOW DARE YOU!!" /rant and sermon

SkinnyPupp 09-26-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 8960976)
Is man responsible for this shit? Maybe

Not maybe

RouRK 09-26-2019 08:41 AM

i don't understand......... even if we are not the root cause of the problem, what harm are we doing by not trying to change our ways.

welfare 09-26-2019 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8960990)
Not maybe

I've seen just as much evidence contradicting that claim as I have seen proving it.

welfare 09-26-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RouRK (Post 8960991)
i don't understand......... even if we are not the root cause of the problem, what harm are we doing by not trying to change our ways.

Changing our ways can mean destroying entire economies.
What happens when that isn't enough? When it doesn't make any difference whatsoever?
What will be the consensus then?
We need to do more? To what end?

Manic! 09-26-2019 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8960995)
Changing our ways can mean destroying entire economies.
What happens when that isn't enough? When it doesn't make any difference whatsoever?
What will be the consensus then?
We need to do more? To what end?

Till we fix the problem. You can't just send the earth to the crusher like some old beat-up car.

welfare 09-26-2019 11:35 AM

You're missing the point.
What if the "problem" isn't, or is only minimally, due to human activity?
How do you "fix" a naturally occurring change in climate?
The green new deal is estimated to cost between 50 and 100 trillion dollars. That's just one country.
That money could sure go a long way in dealing with the outcome rather than attempting (futilly) to change it.

I'm not saying one way or the other. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Evidence that I haven't seen

Hondaracer 09-26-2019 11:35 AM

Paying higher taxes on literally everything in the western world due to carbon emissions will most certainly teach the most extreme polluters of the world it’s wrong!

Manic! 09-26-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8961005)
The green new deal is estimated to cost between 50 and 100 trillion dollars. That's just one country.
That money could sure go a long way in dealing with the outcome rather than attempting (futilly) to change it.

I'm not saying one way or the other. But extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Evidence that I haven't seen

If we do something and in 50 years we find out environmentalists are wrong we end up with cleaner air, water and really fast self driving cars. If we don't do anything and in 50 years we find out they are right we are dead.

RouRK 09-26-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8961005)

i would rather swing and miss, rather then tell my grand kids we didn't take that swing. This is a global problem, maybe if the global economy came together and spent a little less on military or defense we would have no problem coming up with the money.
money in money out, if money is changing hands for the good, its good for the economy. Innovation is good for everyone. I hope one day mass pollution will be looked at as bad as slavery is now.

underscore 09-26-2019 12:33 PM

In the short term polluting less helps us locally, but long term unless China & India get on board what we do here will only help so much.

What I don't like is money getting dumped into anything supposedly green, as a good chunk are scams that don't actually do anything. That takes money any attention away from things that actually help.

pastarocket 09-26-2019 01:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I saw Greta give a stare down of Dotard, that picture showed the great divide between different generations of people in terms of their view of climate change.

Great68 09-26-2019 01:37 PM

Lessening our impact on the environment through things like reducing our dependence on non-renewables is a good thing. But I don't believe in kneecapping our economy to do it if the other biggest polluters don't change is helpful at all. All we'd be doing is putting our money in their pockets by artificially making our cost of living and doing business higher.

This video is interesting, because I don't buy into the hysteria that the climate change extremists are putting forward. We get an unexpected snowfall or something and all of a sudden it's like "THE WORLD IS ENDING!!!!"

welfare 09-26-2019 02:33 PM

^^
It rained in Winnipeg last week...
https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabeth...08814188716032

welfare 09-26-2019 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RouRK (Post 8961008)
i would rather swing and miss, rather then tell my grand kids we didn't take that swing. This is a global problem, maybe if the global economy came together and spent a little less on military or defense we would have no problem coming up with the money.
money in money out, if money is changing hands for the good, its good for the economy. Innovation is good for everyone. I hope one day mass pollution will be looked at as bad as slavery is now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8961017)
In the short term polluting less helps us locally, but long term unless China & India get on board what we do here will only help so much.

What I don't like is money getting dumped into anything supposedly green, as a good chunk are scams that don't actually do anything. That takes money any attention away from things that actually help.

Is co2 pollution?

!LittleDragon 09-26-2019 03:02 PM

Whether it's happening or not isn't a question anymore. Scientific consensus says yes. Did we cause it? More than likely. But the thing is, nobody is 100% sure what nature wants. What if it likes it warmer but we're making efforts to keep it cool...

I do my part to keep things clean but if things get warm, I'm not going to stress about it. We're just another species on the planet and since life began on this planet, it's done one of three things when faced with a changing environment or a new predator... Adapt, evolve or go extinct. There were times when most of the species were wiped out due to rapid climate change but the species that survived continued to adapt and evolve into what you see today. I'm not worried about the planet.

MarkyMark 09-26-2019 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8961036)
Whether it's happening or not isn't a question anymore. Scientific consensus says yes. Did we cause it? More than likely. But the thing is, nobody is 100% sure what nature wants. What if it likes it warmer but we're making efforts to keep it cool...

I do my part to keep things clean but if things get warm, I'm not going to stress about it. We're just another species on the planet and since life began on this planet, it's done one of three things when faced with a changing environment or a new predator... Adapt, evolve or go extinct. There were times when most of the species were wiped out due to rapid climate change but the species that survived continued to adapt and evolve into what you see today. I'm not worried about the planet.

Of course you're not worried about it, you can still live above ground without the sun melting your face off. If there's any chance we are causing it and can do something about it then it's worth the shot. It's not even about us it's about the generations to come.

Who the fuck wants to adapt to a world that looks like a Mad Max wasteland?

SkinnyPupp 09-26-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8960994)
I've seen just as much evidence contradicting that claim as I have seen proving it.

Why am I not surprised LUL

Great68 09-26-2019 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by welfare (Post 8961031)
^^
It rained in Winnipeg last week...
https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabeth...08814188716032

Fuck I can't stand that woman. The border of her riding is literally less than 2km from my house. Her candidate for my riding David Merner actually dropped by my house a few weekends ago "So do you think you'll be voting green", do you think the 3 trucks (my dad was visiting with his at the time), Mustang and turbo Mazda says I'll be voting green?

!LittleDragon 09-26-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark (Post 8961038)
Who the fuck wants to adapt to a world that looks like a Mad Max wasteland?

Nobody... but that was my point. We're only concerned because we only care about ourselves. We're doing it for us. The planet doesn't care, if it doesn't want us around anymore, we're gone. Let's say we slow down, stop or even reverse global warming.... what about the species that have already adapted to the warmer climate? Should they suffer or go extinct because we like it a little cooler?

MarkyMark 09-26-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !LittleDragon (Post 8961042)
Nobody... but that was my point. We're only concerned because we only care about ourselves. We're doing it for us. The planet doesn't care, if it doesn't want us around anymore, we're gone. Let's say we slow down, stop or even reverse global warming.... what about the species that have already adapted to the warmer climate? Should they suffer or go extinct because we like it a little cooler?

Ok what's the long list of species that would suffer if we stop the Earth from rising to scorching temperatures? I'm pretty sure the majority of living things on Earth are suited just fine for shit not getting hotter than it currently is.

StylinRed 09-26-2019 05:04 PM

Are there peer reviewed papers which show a direct causal link between humans and climate change? Last time I looked there wasn't, and all we had was correlation

Climate changes, it used to be a lot hotter than it is now (geologic temperature record)
we're in an interglacial period, it's supposed to warm

You wanna make changes that will make us cleaner and more responsible as a species? great!

Just don't kill my bank account because you've found a way to profit from hysteria

SkinnyPupp 09-26-2019 06:04 PM

People worrying about their bank accounts is literally going to ruin the future of the human (and many other) species. It blows my mind