REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Cheapest and reliable way to fix my 08 g35x? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716629-cheapest-reliable-way-fix-my-08-g35x.html)

geeknerd 11-13-2019 07:56 PM

Cheapest and reliable way to fix my 08 g35x?

infinti g35x 2008

Dealer said I need a whole new brake set for my passenger rear wheel
(caliper, rotor, pads) because its seized/stuck. I've paid to un-seize it many months ago but I was told its only a temporary fix.
IIRC I got quoted $1200 for parts and labor.

Seems like the parts can be had for 200-300 online but I have 0 knowledge on what brand is reliable and worth the value.

If I were to buy all the parts and take it to the shop, what would I need to buy? Is it literally just caliper, rotor and brakes? Would I need to buy matching set for the other wheel just because?

Edit: oh and another new problem i have is that my radiator fan is prtty much running on max even though engine temp is normal. I was quoted 150$ to diagnose the problem and who knows how much more.

Hondaracer 11-13-2019 08:21 PM

Brake pads, maybe caliber, rotors.

If you’re worried about the cost find a friend or Somone who is mechanically inclined, it shouldn’t be too hard to DIY

Even watching YouTube videos you could probably figure it out

ssjGoku69 11-13-2019 08:29 PM

ChrisFix on youtube has videos that are straight forward to understand what the process would be like if you want to DIY and save hundreds of dollars on labour.

If you're not confident though, definitely pay a shop to fix it. Brakes are the most important thing in your car to stop your 3000+ lbs of moving metal from hurting anyone else. Safety #1

fliptuner 11-13-2019 08:31 PM

What's seized on the caliper? Parking brake? Pins? Piston?

Pads and rotors should definitely be done in pairs. I'd do both calipers as well. Guide pins are also cheap. Then add the cost of fluid and shop supplies. Rough and dirty, $400-500 in parts..

geeknerd 11-13-2019 09:04 PM

Im not schooled on brakes but im pretty handy so if a youtube video is detailrd enough i could diy but the extra tools will probably cost me more than its worth.

The dealer showed me in the shop that the brake pads are constantly touching the rotors so its pretty much at 0mm right now. Its not going back to the non-brake position. Pins and pistons i have no idea.

Im still looking for reliable brand names for the parts, if anyone could recommend. Is pins and pistons something i should also buy or would they come with a caliper purchase?

ilovebacon 11-13-2019 09:47 PM

underscore 11-13-2019 10:17 PM

If you need parts, check RockAuto.com and picking something in the daily driver option is usually a safe bet.

fliptuner 11-13-2019 10:24 PM

^^^ his are rear not front.

The pistons are part of the caliper assembly. Slider pins may or may not be. Either way, an extra 20-25 bucks, well spent.

Brand wise? I think Powerstop sells a full rear kit or get some Centric reman calipers, Raybestos EHT pads and Raybestos coated rotors.

Does yours have the Brembo/sport brakes or just standard issue?

For your rad fan, when you say it's always on, have you tried checking it with the AC off(and not on defrost)?

bcrdukes 11-14-2019 07:47 AM

You are asking difficult questions that he likely cannot answer, let alone, know what brands are even worth considering. At this rate, OP should just give you the car and start taking public transit, but even that might too hard for him. :lol

fliptuner 11-14-2019 07:51 AM

I'll give you 8 bucks. Rear brakes are fucked. :troll:

trollface 11-14-2019 08:17 AM

Where are you located? If you buy the parts I can help/guide you, but I'm not going to do it for you.

Do you have any tools? Jack/Stands/Tq wrench, socket sets, clamps, etc?

The truth is, if you want to do it yourself and learn, great, but it's going to cost you as much as taking it to a shop if you have zero tools and knowledge. You'll prob spend X4 as much time doing it and fuck it up, but you will learn and own the tools. If you have no desire to learn or own tools/have room to owns tools/work on the car, just take it to an independent shop. It's not for everyone.

fliptuner 11-14-2019 08:41 AM

Show him how to change the oil while you're at it. :lol

trollface 11-14-2019 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8966370)
Show him how to change the oil while you're at it. :lol

He'll have to pick me up.

Hondaracer 11-14-2019 09:49 AM

The car is 10+ years old. I wouldn’t worry too much about replacing the brembo calipers like for like, just go to Lordco etc and get the OEM replacements

hud 91gt 11-14-2019 10:08 AM

Buy the parts, buy the tools. Get dirty. Feel proud. Analyze if you even enjoyed doing it.

A) Sell Tools and bring to a shop next time
B) Buy more tools for next time as your silly and somehow in your mind it makes more sense to do yourself.

I went full B.

underscore 11-14-2019 12:22 PM

Just get rebuild kits for the calipers as long as they aren't totally FUBAR.

I went full B as well, because myself and my family have had so many shitty shop experiences. Half the stuff I don't even like doing but if something is going to get screwed up I'd prefer that I screwed it up for free and know what I did, vs paying a shop to screw it up and having no clue what the idiots did.

Dragon-88 11-14-2019 01:55 PM

First time I did my brakes I had to do all 4 rotor and pads as Mission road track ate up m OEM brakes, and I was warned it would do this.

It was a hot summer day and it took me about 5-6 hours for all 4 corners, I was double checking my work, getting a buddy who was working on his car to double check my work and slowly and surely made sure I did everything right, I was upgrading pads and rotors for my next track day so I wanted to make sure everything was 100%. The amount of minor problems/issues I faced. I felt, I didn't have enough experience and kept saying to myself "I should've just paid someone to do this". But with the help of my friend that kept pushing me along and I finally completed the job.

Move forward to a few months down the road when my GF gets a new used car that needs to replace the front brakes. I said to my self "I Got this" :fuckyea: Bought a set of pads and rotors for about $250, and had at her. This job took me 1.5 hours, did it right after work and was fighting the light, again it was only the 2nd time ever doing brakes, but I had more confidence this time and finished with time to spare.

fliptuner 11-14-2019 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8966379)
The car is 10+ years old. I wouldn’t worry too much about replacing the brembo calipers like for like, just go to Lordco etc and get the OEM replacements

I only asked about brembos cause I was looking up parts for him

geeknerd 11-14-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollface (Post 8966366)
Where are you located? If you buy the parts I can help/guide you, but I'm not going to do it for you.

Do you have any tools? Jack/Stands/Tq wrench, socket sets, clamps, etc?

The truth is, if you want to do it yourself and learn, great, but it's going to cost you as much as taking it to a shop if you have zero tools and knowledge. You'll prob spend X4 as much time doing it and fuck it up, but you will learn and own the tools. If you have no desire to learn or own tools/have room to owns tools/work on the car, just take it to an independent shop. It's not for everyone.

Thanks for the offer.
Its not the knowledge part I am worried about, its the tools as you mentioned. I would have to use the spare tire jack and wrench, TQ wrench? just make it tight as I can right? lol jk. Id also have to find a leveled workspace cuz i live in a condo etc.

I only ask because i was quoted 1200 but looking online such as autopartsway.ca World brake rear right caliper is only $68 , brake pads are 30-60 a set, rotor is 40-300(sports drilled) and a few other miscellaneous such as 'disc brake caliper bracket mounting bolt', 'brake caliper guide pin', which i dont know if i am supposed to buy.

On the quote, it even says 'using aftermarket caliper' because oem is backordered 3-6weeks.

what do? seems like I can get the parts for $300ish but I dont know if the brands on autopartsway are reliable name brands or not.

(my car model is not sport so it is just standard brake. i think sport model came with akebonos or was it brembo)

fliptuner 11-14-2019 05:31 PM

Did you bother checking rockauto, like underscore suggested?

https://i.imgur.com/2h6OqvF_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

coneZONE 11-14-2019 05:55 PM

I've used WBR pads and they're just fine. I don't have experience with WBR calipers but i would expect them to be just fine.
But if you have to pay a core deposit, and seeing the depiction in the photo, it leads me to think that it is a reman caliper, which would be OEM anyway. And that's what you get usually (but i've seen mis-packaged new aftermarket calipers before) from the local parts store.

And since youre getting replacement calipers, you won't need the guide pins; new/reman always come with new moving components and boots. And new sealing washers, make sure to replace them.
You'll be reusing the caliper bracket mounting bolts (iirc the 19mm head)
So all you need are the pads, rotors, and calipers. And brake fluid.

One caution is to make sure the banjo bolt threads into the caliper correctly (preferably before you start taking the car apart), because a lot of times when they refinish the caliper when they remanufacture them, the threads get slightly tight so it can be easy to cross thread.

geeknerd 11-14-2019 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8966444)
Did you bother checking rockauto, like underscore suggested?

https://i.imgur.com/2h6OqvF_d.jpg?ma...idelity=medium

I must've read it on my phone and forgot to go back and check.
So I guess "power stop" is a reliable/known brand? as well as WBR. Not sure how I feel about 'Core' charges, shipping is $90~ so I wont return it anyways but if the parts I buy are remanufactured :S

is it acceptable practice to bring my own parts to a dealership shop? I'll have to call them tomorrow to see if they are willing to do it and how much labor would be.

Thanks for the input, ill update soon

twitchyzero 11-14-2019 07:50 PM

power stop is fine

never used torque wrench on brakes jobs, if it takes 2 blows with the hammer coming out i secure it again with two blows...haven't had problems on street cars and came out just fine on on a subsequent replacement

fliptuner 11-14-2019 08:37 PM

I always try to buy new parts from RA but it looks like everything is reman'd. Check how much (if anything) it costs to send cores back.

ilovebacon 11-14-2019 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trollface (Post 8966371)
He'll have to pick me up.

Scoop me up too please, I would love to learn how to replace brakes :)