REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   737 Boeing crashes in Iran (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716731-737-boeing-crashes-iran.html)

iwantaskyline 01-07-2020 09:19 PM

737 Boeing crashes in Iran

Technical difficulties is to blame according to state news but videos show the plane a fireball before crashing.

whitev70r 01-07-2020 10:06 PM

How can they be sure so quickly?

twitchyzero 01-07-2020 10:47 PM

boeing can't catch a break

snowball 01-08-2020 01:02 AM

63 Canadians on board, RIP.

HonestTea 01-08-2020 09:46 AM

Boeing again

threezero 01-08-2020 03:21 PM

something doesn't sound right here. the 737 is not the 737 max that we already knew with issues. Could it be the Iran is covering something up and pointing finger and an easy scrap goat?WutFace

westopher 01-08-2020 04:31 PM

I try to keep the tinfoil hat Alex jonesing to a minimum, but the timing of this, combined with the missile strike, combined with the refusal of releasing the black box by Iran, seems pretty possible that this wasn't engine failure.

Infiniti 01-08-2020 04:46 PM

JDął 01-08-2020 07:22 PM

I'm giving it a 99.8% chance it was shot down. ZERO chance it was an engine failure or technical problem. The other small possibility is a bomb but in my opinion it was shot down by accident. The available transponder info, no radio calls, flaming wreckage falling.... someone fucked up like Russia did with MH17.

RIP to all those onboard. However, who the fuck allows a commercial aircraft to take off from the capital after you just launched a ballistic missile attack on another country. Not to speak ill of the dead but really stupid to get on that flight as well, the attack was all over the local media and full blown war was on everyone's lips. Not a time to be in the local airspace.

ssjGoku69 01-08-2020 07:46 PM

Just found out that my coworker and her family were on that plane.

I really hope it wasn't some idiot firing a missile at a passenger plane.

Hondaracer 01-08-2020 08:15 PM

A three year old 737-800 could probably take off on 1 engine. A random hull loss incident is virtually unthinkable for such a new aircraft as well

donjalapeno 01-08-2020 08:43 PM

RIP to all those on board the flight. It's an absolute brutal way to go.

It was definitely a fuck up by the Iran government/military. Especially because they are refusing to release BlackBox footage.

As Hondaracer mentioned its unthinkable for a 3-year-old 737-800 to go down like that for no reason.

Ludepower 01-08-2020 08:50 PM

Trudeau should speak the fuck up and demand some answers.

twitchyzero 01-08-2020 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDął (Post 8970795)

RIP to all those onboard. However, who the fuck allows a commercial aircraft to take off from the capital after you just launched a ballistic missile attack on another country. Not to speak ill of the dead but really stupid to get on that flight as well, the attack was all over the local media and full blown war was on everyone's lips. Not a time to be in the local airspace.

the attack happened what, 500 miles away? are there reports they were launched from Tehran? and seems like missiles in those parts are not that uncommon

not to mention it was only a few hours before the flight when the passengers were likely at the terminal already...dozens of which were Canadians returning home from winter break

Badhobz 01-08-2020 09:05 PM

So the attack happened a few hours before this crash right ?! I don’t think it’s related then.

JDął 01-08-2020 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twitchyzero (Post 8970808)
the attack happened what, 500 miles away? are there reports they were launched from Tehran? and seems like missiles in those parts are not that uncommon.

Short range, unguided rockets fired at Israel's Iron Dome defense system are a far cry from ballistic missiles and the full force of the US military. Video is totally irrelevant.

not to mention it was only a few hours before the flight when the passengers were likely at the terminal already...dozens of which were Canadians returning home from winter break

I'm really not trying to victim blame but they should not have been in the air there. Ultimate 'legal' responsibility for this falls on the airline, its insurer, and the regulatory body that controls the commercial airspace. MH17 happened in the Ukraine FFS! You'd think they would know best not to have commercial airliners in potentially hostile airspace! You'll note that upon first reports of the Iranian strike the FAA banned all its commercial carriers from the entire area. They red boxed all of Iraq and Iran. No international carrier should have had flights departing in that region during or in the immediate hours after this attack. With that being said, do you think the news was not being broadcast in the terminal at the Tehran airport? That no one was talking about it? Iran was yelling about it from a mountain top.

500mi is nothing from a military standpoint. The USAF has launched aircraft and had them fly around the world for 24+ hours to strike targets. 500mi is a short hop away, especially when you can deploy weapons from fighter aircraft 60mi+ away now. The aircraft took off in the window a counter attack would have been taking place if there was one. Subsonic Tomahawk missiles could have been launched from the Gulf and been in Tehran in an hour, fighters inside 45 mins from the multitude of American forward operating locations in the region.

Ultimately YOU are responsible for your own safety and that of your loved ones. Everyone in the modern world knew about MH17. Even if this ends up not being a case of the aircraft being shot down all aircraft that were in the air, in that region, at that time, were at risk. This was Tehran, the capital of Iran that just openly committed a mass attack against American positions under already very heightened tensions. Tehran had/has targets whether the initial strikes were launched from there or not. If it had been me there's no way I'd have boarded that plane, and I hope if anyone here ever ends up in a similar scenario anywhere in the world they don't put themselves at that kind of risk. A couple thousand dollars, a couple days, missing work or school or whatever... it's not worth your life. It was extremely dangerous for civilians to be in the airspace, and I believe the loss of all these people unfortunately proves it.

StylinRed 01-08-2020 10:51 PM

Quote:

Under the rules of the International Civil Aviation Organisation, of which Iran, Ukraine and the US are all members, air crash investigations are led by the country where the accident occurred.

Iranian officials said they suspected a mechanical issue brought down the three-and-a-half-year-old Boeing 737-800, an assessment Ukrainian officials initially agreed with but later backed away from while the investigation is ongoing.

Justin Bronk, a research fellow at the Royal United Service Institute, said that he believed on balance the incident was “a tragic coincidence”.

He said it would require a fairly large surface-to-air missile to inflict such catastrophic damage on a civilian airliner, “but there was no evidence of a rocket plume” in the videos that have emerged so far. “It would also be very hard to conceal such a large rocket battery from the ground,” he added.
They're allowing Ukrainian officials, and the airlines reps to join in/observe the investigations
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...iner-to-boeing

hud 91gt 01-08-2020 10:58 PM

^ I don’t think that is quite fair.

For example, you have Canadians away home in a hostile area with missiles being hurled left and right. What is the better option, get out of the area on a commercial flight, or stick around to see how things unfold.

I can’t speak for this airline, but North American carriers assess hostile situations like this. They do indeed adjust scheduling and routings around the situations. Companies are at risk as well, just as the passengers. They also have chips in the game. To have a passenger rely on an airliners operations wouldn’t be out of context, especially if one is feeling unsafe in their current situation.

I agree, I wouldn’t have been on the plane, but I also wouldn’t have been in the area in the first place.

RIP to all those involved.

hud 91gt 01-08-2020 11:00 PM

I found it quite fishy how it was announced the black boxes would nott be released to the Americans. I then spoke to my 89 year old grandfather who stated “I wouldn’t either, as soon as you give it to them, the Americans will claim is was shot down.”

Different perspective.

teggy604 01-08-2020 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8970801)
A three year old 737-800 could probably take off on 1 engine. A random hull loss incident is virtually unthinkable for such a new aircraft as well

They can take off fly and land with one engine. Its a safety thing all commercial aircraft must meet if I remember correctly. From reading the news article, it definitely sounds sketchy. Especially with all the crazy stuff happening over there.

twitchyzero 01-09-2020 12:10 AM

good arguments but nevertheless made in hindsight

i dont know what it's like growing up in Iran/Iraq/Syria but maybe getting caught in the crossfire is accepted as fate for locals

as for the Canadians? if they dont have a military/aviation background, how the hell are they supposed to connect the dots from an incident in Eastern Europe 5 years ago with what's happening on TV? they're not gonna sit down immediately after watching the news and draw a radius from the Gulf to assess the risk of getting whacked by a Tomahawk...when they're checked in and ready to get out of this mess and get home soon

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDął (Post 8970814)
MH17 happened in the Ukraine FFS! You'd think they would know best not to have commercial airliners in potentially hostile airspace! With that being said, do you think the news was not being broadcast in the terminal at the Tehran airport? That no one was talking about it? Iran was yelling about it from a mountain top.

500mi is nothing from a military standpoint. The USAF has launched aircraft and had them fly around the world for 24+ hours to strike targets. 500mi is a short hop away, especially when you can deploy weapons from fighter aircraft 60mi+ away now. The aircraft took off in the window a counter attack would have been taking place if there was one. Subsonic Tomahawk missiles could have been launched from the Gulf and been in Tehran in an hour, fighters inside 45 mins from the multitude of American forward operating locations in the region.

Ultimately YOU are responsible for your own safety and that of your loved ones. Everyone in the modern world knew about MH17. Even if this ends up not being a case of the aircraft being shot down all aircraft that were in the air, in that region, at that time, were at risk. This was Tehran, the capital of Iran that just openly committed a mass attack against American positions under already very heightened tensions. Tehran had/has targets whether the initial strikes were launched from there or not. If it had been me there's no way I'd have boarded that plane, and I hope if anyone here ever ends up in a similar scenario anywhere in the world they don't put themselves at that kind of risk. A couple thousand dollars, a couple days, missing work or school or whatever... it's not worth your life. It was extremely dangerous for civilians to be in the airspace, and I believe the loss of all these people unfortunately proves it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hud 91gt (Post 8970818)
I found it quite fishy how it was announced the black boxes would nott be released to the Americans. I then spoke to my 89 year old grandfather who stated “I wouldn’t either, as soon as you give it to them, the Americans will claim is was shot down.”

Different perspective.

won't black box data/transmission with atc be made public in court? Even if Boeing is deep in Washington's coffers this doesn't seem like a scandal worth pulling off esp with the poor PR from last year

i can see Iran's stance though, why allow your current enemy #1 involved in investigations when tensions are this high

whitev70r 01-09-2020 06:10 AM

Apparently, radio went dead silent. No 'mayday' or whatever pilots actually say if they have mechanical failure.

Radio silence and a desperate turn: The final moments of Flight PS752
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/iran-f...line-1.5419572

Video broadcast by Iranian state TV shows what purports to be the final moments of the flight, with flames coming from an aircraft, then a blinding flash lighting up the pre-dawn darkness as the plane carrying nine crew and 167 passengers — 63 Canadians among them — slams into the ground.

Whatever occurred, it happened quickly: Hassan Rezaeifar, the chief crash investigator for Iran's Civil Aviation Organization, said the pilot never declared an emergency, and wasn't in communication with air traffic control during the final moments of the flight.

At a morning news conference at the Boryspil International Airport in Kyiv — Flight PS752's destination — executives from Ukraine International Airlines described the plane's crew as "excellent," "reliable," and highly trained. They said the aircraft underwent routine maintenance on Monday, and there were no reports of problems prior to takeoff.

westopher 01-09-2020 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8970805)
Trudeau should speak the fuck up and demand some answers.

I know he probably didn’t send you a letter detailing his intentions, but do you seriously think that it’s not already in the works?
https://apple.news/A9gAj07uHTailXZ1SAwkEHw

Ludepower 01-09-2020 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8970831)
I know he probably didn’t send you a letter detailing his intentions, but do you seriously think that it’s not already in the works?
https://apple.news/A9gAj07uHTailXZ1SAwkEHw

Ty government of canada spokesman. My post was half anger wanting our leader to be more vocal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDął (Post 8970814)

Your shitting on dead people after the fact. They should of done this. They shouldnt of done that. You come off as a insensitive know it all prick. People were probably trying to get home and get on the first flight out of there.

$_$ 01-09-2020 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ludepower (Post 8970834)
Ty government of canada spokesman. My post was half anger wanting our leader to be more vocal.

Your shitting on dead people after the fact. They should of done this. They shouldnt of done that. You come off as a insensitive know it all prick. People were probably trying to get home and get on the first flight out of there.

If there was a strike in Iran and Canadians got killed, you bet he's gonna be here saying those people should've gotten on the first plane back home, how stupid of them to be in Tehran in the first place. :heckno: