REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Honda / Acura Tech Resources

Honda / Acura Tech Resources All honda & Acura Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 01-21-2020, 01:32 PM   #1
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Best K swap for a DD

Holy shit this forum is dead. What happened to all the fanboi's?

So I've been accumulating parts for a future project that I have in mind - either a Fit or EP3, K swap. Essentially, a modern day B/H, EG. I have the K24A2 and K20Z3 drivetrains, wiring, accessories.

I want to keep it clean, reliable and as OEM as possible. 99% street driven.

I'm thinking K24A2 (TSX) and 6spd LSD (FG2, Civic Si), with a tune. Improved low/mid RPM power, that can still pull to 8k, occasionally.

I have a K20A2 head, intake, oil pump, wp housing and oil pan, to build a Frankenstein but I don't foresee myself winding it out often enough to reap the benefits of top end HP.

Opinions?

Which engine harness should I use? The K24 doesn't have connectors at the engine bay. Should I use the one off the K20Z3? A2?

Which intake manifold? I'm guessing PRC for the 24, RBC if I swap heads?

Danke
Advertisement

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
Instead of fapping on pr0n and blowing $$$ on cars, chicks, and drinks (hopefully in that order?), I think most of the fanbois have traded in their tuner rides for minivans or biga$$ family haulers. Or they've gone from $8/hr baller to $80+/hr baller, so they are rocking legit German machinery now instead of hopping up ghetto Civics and Silvias.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
うに

Thanked 1,008 Times in 402 Posts
You always want to use the K20a2 (02-04 RSX-S) Engine Harness
almost all kits on the market today run off that set up

Don't forget your engine management.
Hondata Kpro
Or K-Tunner

GD3 Fit is very expensive for a Kswap because of the first generation Canbus system requires custom wiring if you want all your HVAC ect to work.
newer fits are great for a K24swap

Your K20z3 transmission might be a great choice on paper.
but like the engine harness, most swap kits (motor mounts and shifter boxes) are made for the K20a2 (02-04 RSX-S)
IIRC the shifter mechanism for k20z3 trans moves in the opposite oriantation as the RSX's shifter box
plus the K20z3 transmission different mounting points - and most kits are based off the K20a2 transmission

Last edited by PK-EK; 01-21-2020 at 02:55 PM.
PK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:50 PM   #4
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK-EK View Post
but like the engine harness, most swap kits (motor mounts and shifter boxes) are made for the K20a2 (02-04 RSX-S)
IIRC the shifter mechanism for k20z3 trans moves in the opposite oriantation as the RSX's shifter box
plus the K20z3 transmission different mounting points - and most kits are based off the K20a2 transmission
I have a z3 trans mated to my K20/24. I ended up using the shifter from a regular a2 trans. 3 of the 4 holes worked. We just JB welded the other corner.
You will need to get a yellow box to get the speedo to work as the z3 runs a different speedo ring gear or something along those lines.

Been too long, memory is foggy.

I should still have the parts to frankenstein a proper shifter for the z3 trans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #5
うに

I did not know 3/4 bolts lined up

Just an FYI

you can't buy those Shifter Mechanism's new from Acura/Honda
so if you're going to go that route, you'll have to find a used one

Last edited by PK-EK; 01-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #6
うに

EP3 will be the easiest and cost effective way.

No wiring, no axles, no mounts
all plug and play

you can even put all your K20z3 transmission guts into the EP3 transmission case

Last edited by PK-EK; 01-22-2020 at 01:03 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Instead of fapping on pr0n and blowing $$$ on cars, chicks, and drinks (hopefully in that order?), I think most of the fanbois have traded in their tuner rides for minivans or biga$$ family haulers. Or they've gone from $8/hr baller to $80+/hr baller, so they are rocking legit German machinery now instead of hopping up ghetto Civics and Silvias.
You forgot to mention paying for kids and $1M mortgages. Plus, if we didn't have cars to play with, we'd have to be inside, talking to our wives.

Quote:
You always want to use the K20a2 (02-04 RSX-S) Engine Harness
almost all kits on the market today run off that set up

Don't forget your engine management.
Hondata Kpro
Or Tunner

GD3 Fit is very expensive for a Kswap because of the first generation Canbus system requires custom wiring if you want all your HVAC ect to work.
newer fits are great for a K24swap

Thanks, so Type S harness makes perfect sense and I take it, shift linkage, cables and box as well.

From my understanding, the (early) Type S shift arms can be made to fit the Z3 tranny with minor modification to 1 mount hole. Also, aftermarket VSS.

https://www.k20a.org/threads/diy-a-0...harness.46429/

I have to check but I think I read that late, Type S tranny's use the same shift pattern as the Z3. If so, as hard as it might be to source one, maybe I could use the shift arms/cables/box out of that?

fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol

RSUV #7
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 06:15 AM   #8
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
I would love to see/drive a k-swapped honda fit.... sooooooooo if you make one we can make a video
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 09:42 AM   #9
うに

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post

I have to check but I think I read that late, Type S tranny's use the same shift pattern as the Z3. If so, as hard as it might be to source one, maybe I could use the shift arms/cables/box out of that?
I do not think the the 05-06 RSX-S and K20z3 transmissions are exactly the same
they might be very similar because of the VSS system
but as far as i know, the 02-04 and 05-06 have interchangeable shifter boxes and cables, making me think the shift pattern is not the same as a Z3

excuse my ignorance, i'm a hardcore RSX guy, so if its not really related to RSX K series stuff, i'm not always in the loop
Old 01-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,490 Times in 4,302 Posts
Fuck your Hondas they suck

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:25 AM   #11
RS Veteran

How is that for resurrecting this forum?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 01-22-2020, 11:03 AM   #12
うに

go drink coffee on your moped somewhere else
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 11:15 AM   #13
うに

Quote:

I have a K20A2 head, intake, oil pump, wp housing and oil pan, to build a Frankenstein but I don't foresee myself winding it out often enough to reap the benefits of top end HP.

Danke
I'm bored at work, so here goes:

The TSX head you have is practically the same as the K20a2 head you (In terms of power and airflow)
so no need to use the K20a2 head
you will want to use the oil pump from the K20a2 as it is far superior in output and doesn't use a power robbing balancing shaft, also helps it rev out higher, 9000rpm is no problem for that pump (stock)

as for intake manifold, it depends on your chassis
RBC is the best and is a classic choice for a reason, i would stick to that personally as you won't have to modify (cut off) the water port using the TSX head.
but you might run into fitment problems with either Fit, EP3 should just be able to squeeze one in.

the oil pan you have is all in what chassis you're running, you might want to run a steel pan if you have low ground clearance, it's weaker, so if you hit something, it only wrecks the pan and not the bottom of the block; where an aluminum pan is stronger and might damage your block upon impact
spec a couple bucks and get a drop in baffle or have someone weld in a baffle while you have it out,
it'll be something you wish you did but didn't if you don't do it while you're building the motor.

Last edited by PK-EK; 01-22-2020 at 11:38 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #14
RS Veteran

interference engines

Old 01-22-2020, 12:29 PM   #15
うに

PK-EK's Dream N/A OEM plus K series build

K24a2 (from a 06 TSX) engine
K20a2 Type S oil pump
RBC intake manifold
Fresh Seals and Fresh timing chain with New OEM tensioner
Maybe oversized stock K24a2 pistons if i was rebuilding the bottom end

5.06 Final drive from FD2R (quick acceleration)
TSX CL9 6th gear (long 6th gear, perfect for highway cruising)
OEM honda LSD (all DC5/FD2/EP3 type Rs use the same one from a 8th gen Civic Si)

installed in an EG CX for that classic Honda Old school look
perfect Sunday cruiser car.

or installed in a DC2/EK chassis if i wanted it to be more comfortable with power options if it was driven every day to work and such.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:49 PM   #16
RS Veteran

wtf is an rbc intake manifold? sponsorship from Royal bank? jesus wtf

This post FAILED by:
Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 PM   #17
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I've been contemplating all these things for my Element. Sourcing a K24A2 for a reasonable price has been a challenge. Part of me just wants to turbo my stock motor and be done but the other part wants a better base platform with the A2. Shitty thing is, my motor wont allow me to do a Frank build (conflicting reports of piston clearance) so I would have to get a different K24 long block and swap an A2 head on it. (let me know if you're selling that head and stuff.

Berz out.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:25 PM   #18
うに

Might be able to get away with using your stock block and a A2 head if you played with head gaskets with different thicknesses. That's what I read online.
Or get some used TSX positions/rods on the cheap and do a mild botten end refresh.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #19

I pretty much have all the parts you listed, since I parted out all 3 cars lol. K24A2/tranny, K20Z3/tranny, K20A2 head, intake/TB, water pump/t-stat housing, front cover, oil pan/baffle/pump.

@Berz, what's a fair price for a K24A2?

I only want to do this in a Fit or EP3 cause I want to keep the drivetrains in the same gen. My EG has a B20Z VTEC/B16 tranny for that reason.

If space or time become issues and I can't get this started, all this shit is going to be up for sale.

RSUV #7
Old 01-23-2020, 08:51 AM   #20
Ricer Mod

Quote:
@Berz, what's a fair price for a K24A2?

Honestly I'm not even sure but anywhere close to 1k would be nice if I could find one.

Berz out.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:52 AM   #21
Ricer Mod

Quote:
Might be able to get away with using your stock block and a A2 head if you played with head gaskets with different thicknesses. That's what I read online.
Or get some used TSX positions/rods on the cheap and do a mild botten end refresh.
Some people say it works, other say there's slap so I don't know. I thicker headgasket seems like a bandaid and not the best way to go about things.

Berz out.
Old 01-23-2020, 09:27 AM   #22
うに

car-parts.com

K24a2 from TSXs start at $500 CAD
from Canadian junk yards...
This post thanked by:
Old 01-23-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
car-parts.com

that's pretty cheap. Good to know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:44 PM   #24
Ricer Mod

Quote:
car-parts.com

Are all TSX A2?

Berz out.

Last edited by Berzerker; 01-23-2020 at 01:49 PM.
Berzerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #25
うに

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
How do you use that search function to limit to type S motors?

Berz out.
TSX's never came with a Type S option

they all came with the K24a2 engine

Look for an automatic one, less likely it's been bagged on
and the 2006+ ones have the better cam shafts in them