REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:22 AM   #3576
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
There's also a picture of a fish and the words 'a new drug for treating fish disease'. Last I checked, we are currently not fish. Anyone who would consume from that bottle, I will personally mail a Darwin award to.

What do you expect? they voted for trump. trump supporters are not the brightest.

The idiot bought 29 million doses. Just because it's FDA approved does not mean it's safe.
Advertisement

Last edited by Manic!; 04-06-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:25 AM   #3577
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishCak3s View Post
Taiwan CDC/FDA demonstrate using a rice cooker to disinfect used face masks.

The original Mandarin version also talked about using UV rays (220-280nm wavelength in dish dryer's disinfection function) to disinfect used face masks. The UV rays would be useful for the top and bottom sides of the face mask; however, surgical face masks are 3 layers (6 sides in total) so the CDC/FDA can't be certain it would be effective for the rest of the 4 sides.

https://youtu.be/ogCTP3xCWkM
I was worried that this would people leading to think they need to add water to steam the masks (which may work with N95 but probably not surgical masks as they would melt)

There was a huge controversy here early on when a politician told people to steam their masks to reuse them... As soon as people started doing that, there were pictures of melted masks floating all over social media

Turns out she was right in a way, just not the correct method.

It seems kind of risky compared to buying enough masks to be able to dispose after a use, which as we've seen here, is not impossible to do for many people. If you can afford it, that seems to be the safer route to take...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:49 AM   #3578
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Thought this was quite useful.

Fake Face-Masks ... have a look https://9gag.com/gag/aPR5oWG?ref=android
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 03:31 AM   #3579

Spain about to implement universal basic income, and plan to keep it after the virus is dealt with
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #3580
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Holy hell how is the stock market up. Do they know something that we dont.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 07:02 AM   #3581
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovebacon View Post
Thought this was quite useful.

Fake Face-Masks ... have a look https://9gag.com/gag/aPR5oWG?ref=android
I saw this too. Not surprising that China would put out fakes at a time like this. There was also that knockoff KN95 someone posted earlier too.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:07 AM   #3582
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

https://vancouversun.com/investing/s...-436dde71936e/
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:32 AM   #3583

Stock market is retarded, overreact to every bit of news good and bad. Should just talk about it in that thread since it has little to do with reality...
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #3584
Need my Daily Fix of RS

or people actually believing Trump that hydroxychloroquine will be the cure and the US will bounce back to normal.

Last edited by cafe22; 04-06-2020 at 11:02 AM.
cafe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 08:46 AM   #3585
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Many people are looking for the bottom. It's a huge buying opportunity if you can hold for like 2 years lol

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:36 AM   #3586

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
New York now using hydroxychloroquine, under the guidelines of the American Thoracic Society, based on international case studies, for severely affected patients.
https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/medica...irus-patients/

Quote:
Medical group endorses anti-malarial drug treatment for coronavirus patients
By Carl CampanileApril 6, 2020 | 12:56pm | Updated
Medical group endorses anti-malarial drug treatment for coronavirus patients

America’s major medical society specializing in the treatment of respiratory diseases has endorsed using hydroxychloroquine for seriously ill hospitalized coronavirus patients.

The American Thoracic Society issued guidelines Monday that suggest COVID-19 patients with pneumonia get doses of the anti-malaria drug.

“To prescribe hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) to hospitalized patients with COVID-19 pneumonia if all of the following apply: a) shared decision-making is possible, b) data can be collected for interim comparisons of patients who received hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) versus those who did not, c) the illness is sufficiently severe to warrant investigational therapy, and d) the drug is not in short supply,” the Thoracic Society said.

The use of hydroxychloroquine has been hotly debated.

President Trump has promoted its use on an experimental basis and Gov. Andrew Cuomo has agreed to provide it to thousands of seriously ill patients in New York hospitals in combination with Zithromax.

Critics have criticized the promotion of using the drug based on limited or anecdotal evidence.

The Thoracic Society said its guidelines are based on input from an international task force comprised of doctors from medical centers that are currently treating COVID-19 patients.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #3587
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Spain about to implement universal basic income, and plan to keep it after the virus is dealt with
They're going to get absolutely slammed once this is all over the borders remain open. They're part of the EU and they're going to get so many people flocking there to enjoy their UBI.

It'll be like how all the other provinces ship their homeless junkies over to Vancouver.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:03 AM   #3588
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
no point going costco anymore (before opening non-senior daywillingdon + lougheed)

very short line-up at superstore off united by 9...by 11 even rbc/london drugs joyce had a long line
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #3589
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Was an hour and a half lineup at still creek Costco at 1030..

Went to the other one off gaglardi and was in in 20 minutes
Old 04-06-2020, 11:39 AM   #3590
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
They're going to get absolutely slammed once this is all over the borders remain open. They're part of the EU and they're going to get so many people flocking there to enjoy their UBI.

It'll be like how all the other provinces ship their homeless junkies over to Vancouver.
I believe they would have to be citizen's of Spain.

Boris Johnson is now in intensive care.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...oxychloroquine
Old 04-06-2020, 11:43 AM   #3591
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,170 Times in 2,403 Posts
Boris Johnson in intensive care https://www.theguardian.com/world/li...oxychloroquine
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #3592
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
I waited about 20mins or so to get into Richmond Superstore at 8am on Sunday. Not terrible minus the complete lack of spam.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #3593
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
Anyone run into racist stuff here?? Some guy on my FB has claimed THREE separate incidents now where someone said racist comments to him in public... the latest being claiming that a young boy said "Eww Chinese" to him in a store.

Like 1 or 2 incidents here and there but for 1 guy to say it's the 3rd time it's happened to him? I don't want to be *that guy* but I honestly don't even believe him... super skeptical a little kid be able to even tell someone's ethnicity or think to say that. Really gotta wonder if people are just making shit up to get attention nowadays.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 PM   #3594
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,398 Times in 5,090 Posts
Quote:
I think that's more weather/climate based tho? I don't see the correlation in that comparison...
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:04 PM   #3595
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Anyone run into racist stuff here?? Some guy on my FB has claimed THREE separate incidents now where someone said racist comments to him in public... the latest being claiming that a young boy said "Eww Chinese" to him in a store.

Like 1 or 2 incidents here and there but for 1 guy to say it's the 3rd time it's happened to him? I don't want to be *that guy* but I honestly don't even believe him... super skeptical a little kid be able to even tell someone's ethnicity or think to say that. Really gotta wonder if people are just making shit up to get attention nowadays.
Probably not a huge issue in Canada, and even less so in Vancouver. If anything it's dumb kids and the homeless/mentally ill that would be prone to saying racist garbage most people would have a sense to keep to themselves.

In the US however, it's bad enough that there's a hotline now to report hate crimes in NY State:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ronavirus-hate

spoiler alert: most of the violent crimes have been commited by blacks and latinos

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #3596

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
spoiler alert: most of the violent crimes have been commited by blacks and latinos
You mean the racist violent crimes.
Oh darn, i forgot. Black and brown people can't be racist.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 02:14 PM   #3597
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,707 Times in 1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
no point going costco anymore (before opening non-senior daywillingdon + lougheed)

very short line-up at superstore off united by 9...by 11 even rbc/london drugs joyce had a long line
you can get everything you need from small local stores, with the added benefit of keeping small business moving.

walmart, superstore, costco. I can hardly think of any reason I had to go there before all this, now - I'll never shop in there again.
The Producer is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:26 PM   #3598
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You mean the racist violent crimes.
Oh darn, i forgot. Black and brown people can't be racist.
Literally no one has said this. Piss off with your alt-right talking points.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #3599

Quote:

Maybe that's a good thing then, because unlike receiving welfare, these people can actually keep working while getting the income.

For a lot of people it's not worth getting off welfare and going to work a shit job to make an extra $100 a month. Now if they want they can work that shit job and double their income...
Old 04-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #3600
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,897 Posts
For those who still think the young are invincible ... I wonder why he didn't go to Emerge?

COVID-19: Man in his 40s dies at home ...
https://theprovince.com/news/local-n...2-cb095636747e

Henry said the deceased was a man in his 40s who died at home, and health authorities knew that he had COVID-19. His was the second community death and brings the death toll to 39.

“Unfortunately, this person did pass away at home and was a known positive case. That’s doubly tragic for us. That was a man in his 40s, so we are, of course, concerned about the effects this virus can have even on young people. We know that there’s been some young people in other parts of the country, including someone in their 20s who unfortunately died in Alberta over the last few days,” Henry said.

“Young people are not immune to this. Most of the people who have, unfortunately, died here in B.C., are people from the long-term care homes… in their 70s or older.”
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote