REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   coronavirus discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716747-coronavirus-discussion.html)

Mr.HappySilp 01-21-2020 07:58 PM

coronavirus discussion

Seems like no one really posted this up I though I would. Is Canadian gov doing enough to prevent people with the coronavirus from entering Canada? I feel like any passenger coming from China needs to have their temperature check at the very least before entering Canada. Since there isn't a direct flight from Wuhan to Canada there is no telling who might be from Wuhan or have visited Wuhan before coming to Canada. Also with Chinese new year coming up a lot of Chinese tourist will be visiting Canada.

Wife and I are going back to China Beijing in March she seems a bit worry but I feel like as long as you are a healthy person, wash your hands, stay away from hospital basically common sense it should be fine.

It is Chinese new year soon so millions and millions of Chinese will be traveling though trains and air plane so it could spread to other cities in China very quickly.

punkwax 01-21-2020 08:00 PM

First confirmed case in the USA: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/death...uhan-1.5434256

twitchyzero 01-21-2020 08:13 PM

i had no idea SARS in 03 killed 40+ canadians

SkinnyPupp 01-21-2020 08:21 PM

Good thing there's no more tourism in Hong Kong :fuckthatshit:

Mikoyan 01-21-2020 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp (Post 8971907)
Seems like no one really posted this up I though I would. Is Canadian gov doing enough to prevent people with the coronavirus from entering Canada? I feel like any passenger coming from China needs to have their temperature check at the very least before entering Canada. Since there isn't a direct flight from Wuhan to Canada there is no telling who might be from Wuhan or have visited Wuhan before coming to Canada. Also with Chinese new year coming up a lot of Chinese tourist will be visiting Canada.

Wife and I are going back to China Beijing in March she seems a bit worry but I feel like as long as you are a healthy person, wash your hands, stay away from hospital basically common sense it should be fine.

It is Chinese new year soon so millions and millions of Chinese will be traveling though trains and air plane so it could spread to other cities in China very quickly.

CBC interviews with doctors with Public Health Agency of Canada said that the temp checks at the airports didn't end up catching any cases during SARS, and the costs to do so would be better spent at the local hospitals. They're checking temps as needed based on the initial CBSA screening.

Makes sense to me. Screening everyone and checking body temps may look good , but wastes resources and may be ineffective. Airport screening would only catch anyone who's currently ill. Case in point, the US case. Traveller was asymptomatic when he came through the airport Wed. Felt ill Sunday, and contacted medical help.

CharlesInCharge 01-21-2020 09:18 PM

danned 01-21-2020 09:35 PM

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/2087747328...h1n1-flu-virus

320icar 01-21-2020 10:27 PM

I’m actually extremely worried. Both my wife and I work in Richmond (I think you all know where), and she is 5 months pregnant.

I think we are some of the highest risk people in all of Canada.

Spectre_Cdn 01-21-2020 10:44 PM

^not to mention the Air China tour groups that go to the Richmond Costco. Plus the regular crowd :notlikethis:

yray 01-21-2020 10:50 PM

300 cases according to the chinese government... times that number by 10 is probably the amount of cases in chinar

threezero 01-21-2020 10:54 PM

For those with relative in China. People are hoarding N95 mask for resell. These mask have a five year self life, a lot of the mask being sold for $$$$ on taboo are expired or not even real N95 mask.

Resellers are starting to hoard up mask here as well. Might be worthwhile to hoard some yourself to send back to relatives.

major minus point for the Chinese government. They learn nothing from SARS. This was known in early December and instead of trying to prevent it from spreading they focus their resources on the cover up once again.

negative social credit for you CCP!!!!

Mr.Money 01-22-2020 12:02 AM

we hear the name for it,but is there any cure for it?

i was reading a 30 year old guy died from it

ilovebacon 01-22-2020 12:04 AM

ilovebacon 01-22-2020 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Money (Post 8971929)
we hear the name for it,but is there any cure for it?

i was reading a 30 year old guy died from it

Your answer at 4:33 mark

shabusen 01-22-2020 05:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Mr.HappySilp 01-22-2020 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8971923)
I’m actually extremely worried. Both my wife and I work in Richmond (I think you all know where), and she is 5 months pregnant.

I think we are some of the highest risk people in all of Canada.

I think it will be ok. Maybe have your wife avoid places with crowd if possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectre_Cdn (Post 8971924)
^not to mention the Air China tour groups that go to the Richmond Costco. Plus the regular crowd :notlikethis:

Actually air China is offering refund on to tickets purchase before Jan 2020. Co Worker is going back Wuhan in March but might change her plan. Her mom is there and according to her there is a lot of information blackout happening. Lots of hospital are actually full currently, and they have police at the hospital anyone who isn't a paitent, visiting a patient, works there the police are forcing you to leave or arrest you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8971926)
For those with relative in China. People are hoarding N95 mask for resell. These mask have a five year self life, a lot of the mask being sold for $$$$ on taboo are expired or not even real N95 mask.

Resellers are starting to hoard up mask here as well. Might be worthwhile to hoard some yourself to send back to relatives.

major minus point for the Chinese government. They learn nothing from SARS. This was known in early December and instead of trying to prevent it from spreading they focus their resources on the cover up once again.

Not sure how effective the mask is. After my infections I ask the doctors about mask. He just said most mask aren't effective and those that are people wore them wrong so is pretty useless.

Vansterdam 01-22-2020 06:20 AM

shits gonna skyrocket this weekend when lunar new year hits

hud 91gt 01-22-2020 06:59 AM

Pneumonia is not pretty. I’ve had it twice. (You are more susceptible after your first go). It kills people all the time, but generally those with weak immunity. 320 if you or your wife start to get run down, take it easy and don’t let it get the better of you. Wash your hands often and do your own due diligence, you will be fine. With the little one on the way, certainly take your precautions but honestly until this comes over and becomes a real issue, you don’t have much to worry about. I don’t think there have been any travel advisories yet.

Euro7r 01-22-2020 07:35 AM

Maybe I'm OCD with any kind of bacteria, I normally use some hand sanitizer right when I get into the office everyday and wash my hands right when I get home.

asian_XL 01-22-2020 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:fuckyea:

SSM_DC5 01-22-2020 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 8971926)

N95 masks need to be properly fitted through testing for it to work as intended. There are more than 1 kind of N95.
There's also been research that regular masks with added tissue paper can filter up to 90%

Mr.HappySilp 01-22-2020 08:49 AM

^^ seems like a lot of places in Van is out of N95 mask, superstore, london drugs, shoppers, T and T etc etc
people must be buying them and shipping to China and see for profit.

Hehe 01-22-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSM_DC5 (Post 8971947)
N95 masks need to be properly fitted through testing for it to work as intended. There are more than 1 kind of N95.
There's also been research that regular masks with added tissue paper can filter up to 90%

It's all about fitting it properly.

N95 standard is to test how a mask can filter when it comes to particles of 0.3μm or bigger, the 95 stands for 95%, N99 for 99 and N100 for 99.7%.

Source: my cousin who's an MD and worked during the SARS period.

During SARS, where N95 supply ran low (both in qty and logistical difficulties), my cousin would substitute their usual surgical N95 mask to whatever available at the time. As long as the fitting is right, it would do the same job. "Surgical" ones were reserved for surgical rooms as they have some extras in material and design for a sterile environment like surgical room, hence the designation "surgical".

Thus, for anyone who will be traveling or work in places with a high possibility of pathogen contact (airport), just grab a box of N95 for sanding and shit from HD or your fav hardware store. Only thing... learn to FIT IT PROPERLY!

Hondaracer 01-22-2020 09:25 AM

17 deaths world wide = panic panic panic!!

How many people in the same time frame died from regular flu? hundreds? Thousands?

:/

Badhobz 01-22-2020 09:36 AM

^so true hahaha. Even better if those non vax parents are now interacting with chinese kids. the fearmongering will be insane.