REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #4751
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
A lot of doctors have argued that locking down may not have been a very effective strategy, as shielding yourself from the bacteria and germs that are out in the public can actually weaken the immune system. So you essentially may get a whole lot of people re-entering society with lowered immune systems at once.

I know doctors have been saying for years that our society is overly hygienic and that it was causing higher rates of allergy and immune system issues.
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #4752
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Maybe they can borrow one of the 300 cops they have on the lowered car task force.
Gotta protect the public from sport mode exhaust notes, though.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 11:30 PM   #4753
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,402 Times in 3,475 Posts
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 AM   #4754
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
are you making the case against the effectiveness of social distancing? i mean, how is it exactly that you think any of the countries that are having declining new cases managed to do that otherwise?
I'm making the case against city-wide stay at home lockdowns. There is no evidence it is effective. Handwashing and other basic precautions is the only evidence-based practices we have.

On one hand, you lockdown, but you don't know how many or if you save any additional lives. What you know for sure is that you'll fuck up the economy and put millions out of jobs.

Alternatively, you can do basic social distancing and precautions, which may or may not be worse than lockdown, but you don't fuck up your economy.

How many hospitals and previously uncovered medical treatments could we have funded with the trillions of stimulus money wasted? You couldve probably funded enough ICU beds for the next 20 years with that money. How many lives would be saved there?

https://www.ft.com/content/a2b4c18c-...7-ade4a82a548d

I think this is a good read regardless of your views. It is some insight into why sweden is doing what sweden is doing.

Last edited by twdm; 05-11-2020 at 03:31 AM.
twdm is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 10:38 AM   #4755

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
https://globalnews.ca/news/6927418/c...symptoms-test/

Quote:
Despite having any symptoms for COVID-19 after resigning from CHSLD Herron in Dorval, nurse Kristy-Lyn Kemp insisted she be tested for the virus before starting a new job at another seniors residence.

“So I called (the COVID-19 hotline). … I told them I had been working at Herron, it was a COVID hot zone, I was around the sick, I was around people who were passing away but I was asymptomatic and they told me flat out, ‘nope you don’t need a test’,” said Kemp.

She said she called back a second time speaking French, out of fear they would recognize her voice from earlier, and pretended to be ill.

“I made up symptoms. I said I had a fever, I have a cough.”

The next day she had an appointment at the Beaconsfield testing centre — 24 hours later she learned she tested positive.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #4756
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Didn't they change the date to may 25th?
I believe they're also restricting class sizes. Schools reopening is also dependent on whether the rates improve.
Looks like Quebec schools are open today but schools in Montreal area (hardest hit) are delayed till May 25th

It's back-to-school day for thousands of students across Quebec

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...y-11-1.5563692

Teachers and staff at schools across Quebec have spent the last two weeks moving desks, rearranging schedules and putting down tape in hallways to mark the two-metre distance their students will have to observe when they return to school on Monday.

The province is the first in Canada to widely reopen its schools after closing in March. Schools in the Montreal area, however, where the number of COVID-19 cases is far higher than the rest of the province, will remain closed until May 25.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 01:21 PM   #4757

Thanked 7,402 Times in 3,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Looks like Quebec schools are open today but schools in Montreal area (hardest hit) are delayed till May 25th

It's back-to-school day for thousands of students across Quebec

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...y-11-1.5563692

Teachers and staff at schools across Quebec have spent the last two weeks moving desks, rearranging schedules and putting down tape in hallways to mark the two-metre distance their students will have to observe when they return to school on Monday.

The province is the first in Canada to widely reopen its schools after closing in March. Schools in the Montreal area, however, where the number of COVID-19 cases is far higher than the rest of the province, will remain closed until May 25.

Anyone really think kids will be able to stay 2 meters apart when adults can't do it?
Old 05-11-2020, 01:31 PM   #4758

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
Now that most people (save some libertarians) know that this shit is serious and are taking preventative measures, I don't see the reason of continuing the lockdown.
Things must be better down there because here everyone still seems clueless. Picking up groceries on Saturday nobody was staying 6ft apart in the line outside, only 1 person had a mask, loads of people were in unnecessary groups and 3 people came out with nothing but flowers. 20+ parents and kids from 6+ households playing together in the street outside my place.

I know the people putting in more effort are less visible because they're at home as much as possible but fucking come on.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 05-11-2020 at 02:19 PM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:39 PM   #4759
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,608 Times in 5,172 Posts
Yah everything I saw in a couple of very brief outings I had on the weekend showed me that people in general have said “fuck it” and don’t care anymore. I’d have gone hoarse just trying to instruct people if I had bothered on one grocery shopping trip and 1 picnic lunch in a park with my s.o.

Cant wait for the restoration of draconian measures again when there’s a giant surge of cases sometime next week.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 01:45 PM   #4760

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Things must be better down there because here everyone still seems clueless. Picking up groceries on Saturday nobody was staying 6ft apart in the line outside, only 1 person had a mask, loads of people were in unnecessary groups and 3 people came out with nothing but flowers. 20+ parents and kids from 6+ households playing together.

I know the people putting in more effort are less visible because they're at home as much as possible but fucking come on.
I mean, there'd be instances where things aren't what they supposed to be. However, the idea is still the same, at least people know that this virus is highly contagious and can be deadly.

Wherever I go, say Costco, or any essential needs stores, I see most of people using masks and rigorously clean up the cart when wipes are provided. So, awareness is definitely there.

And such awareness is what we need to push the "new normal". So, people would be used to maintaining distance in malls/stores/any public spaces really and maintain high level of hygienic practices as well as really know what to do in situations like possible exposure, getting sick, etc. Plus things like minimize gathering, avoid non-essential travels... etc.

I don't know how things are up in the Okanagan... but it'd be hard to believe that people are still clueless and complete ignore prevention protocols.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:07 PM   #4761
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Beaverton: Quebec suddenly fine with people covering their faces
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #4762
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,775 Times in 3,871 Posts
Old 05-11-2020, 03:21 PM   #4763
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
The second wave of COVID-19 is going to fucking destroy us given how everyone just didn't give a shit this weekend because HoT SuMmEr WeAtHeR #nolockdown #freedom
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:25 PM   #4764
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,047 Times in 2,080 Posts
Braved Walmart for the first time in 8 weeks yesterday (needed a one stop shop to keep on schedule for Mother’s Day) and pretty much everyone were ignoring the arrows on the floor. At one point I had 4-5 people heading straight toward me and said “you guys realize you’re not supposed to going this way, right?” and every single one of them all must have lost their ability to understand or communicate in English because I was completely ignored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #4765
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,254 Times in 1,228 Posts
One thing that annoys me about the arrows is you get the assholes window shopping the most popular areas of the store. Grab a carton of eggs and move on bud you're not the only person in the store.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 05:03 PM   #4766
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
No one has followed the rules since the beginning.

I stayed in consistently and only work and home and essential groceries for about 3-4 weeks before I basically started going where I want, when I want to get non-essential groceries, vanity items, etc. Also eating out at work 75%+ of the time at varying restys and take out places.

No one wears masks. Like maybe when you go to a crowded superstore etc there are more but on average I’d say under 10% total wear masks. People do not wear masks in multi-family dwellings like high rises, low rises etc as far as I’ve seen. I have not once seen cleaning of exterior or interior points of contact by people who manage these buildings.

I occasionally will see people wipe down interac key pads or give you hand sanitizer at the door etc. However, these people are not doing it every time, nor do they seem to understand the How transmission or cross contamination works.

People have been getting together in groups of more than people you live with since the beginning because either A) they are too dumb to understand the gravity of the situation or B) they simply don’t care.

With that said I really don’t see how you can really say how effective the overall strategy is. Public transit is obviously a big transmission point, as would large gatherings like Canucks games etc. However, people have been ignoring the guidelines from the beginning. It’s not just this past weekend at the beach. Imo if community transmission was as big of an issue as it’s said to be, we would be wayyyy worse off.

Even at work for me, a giant company does not understand nor provide adequate information and teaching as to properly remove PPE. As I said before I used to run asbestos abatements with my former company. The procedure to remove PPE for particles which are essentially visible to the naked eye takes 7-10 minutes. Companies thinking its adequate to wear a surgical mask and wipe down your phone while going into high rises of 600+ People are out of their fucking minds. If the virus was present on a surface you touched, you’ve got it if it’s as contagious as led to believe.

So if we go a couple weeks and see no spike in cases, or everything continues to level off and decline, I think you seriously have to look at other factors such as quality of living, accessibility, density, and overall general health of the lower mainland population as oppose to “strict” controls which achieved this current state.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:29 PM   #4767
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,775 Times in 3,871 Posts
Where do you live? When I go to Costco/superStore I it’s 80%+ wearing masks
Old 05-11-2020, 05:33 PM   #4768
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
comes down to where you frequent

t&t majority of shoppers are masked and they check temps at the entrance
costco's got the wiping/distancing down to a science

for some reason even though we acted relatively late and have relatively low mask usage, vancouver and BC has managed weather it decently outside of semi-isolated outbreaks at institutions, are we on average just that much healthier with stronger immunity than most of north america?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 05:43 PM   #4769
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Where do you live? When I go to Costco/superStore I it’s 80%+ wearing masks
I’d say Costco Willingdon is under 30% when I’ve got and Costco gaglardi or whatever is less than that.

Donald’s market is my closest Grocer which is probably under 30% and then Nesters where my parents live in a fairly affluent neighborhood is literally zero. You’re the oddball if you’re wearing one.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #4770
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
t&t majority of shoppers are masked and they check temps at the entrance
costco's got the wiping/distancing down to a science
Wife went to Willingdon Costco over the weekend and said it's a giant shit show inside. A majority of the people don't follow the physical distancing rules and the only thing that Costco has done was hand you wipes.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #4771
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,717 Times in 1,056 Posts
haven't been in any box stores in 6? weeks now? no need whatsoever.

shop online - grocery and meal delivery, then hit up the local green grocer for some fresh veg and maybe a fresh loaf of bread. We do 1 take out night a week.

Why would anybody willingly go into a costco right now? I'm not trying to be mean, I just can't think of anything dumber than to intentionally expose yourself to hundreds of people - masks or no masks.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2020, 06:10 PM   #4772
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Today I was walking down the street alone for medical checkup and a lady (mid 50's) comes out of no where from the alley and walks onto the sidewalk. She gets OCD and walks off onto the grass and stands there waiting for me to pass as she saw me walking towards her. Then I walk past her and she goes "could have at least walked off to the side". Stay the fuck home if you are so scared of being out. Not gonna indicate what ethnicity as it's irrelevant but if it bothers them so much, either don't go out at all or run away to opposite street then. My rant of the afternoon.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:12 PM   #4773

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
I'm curious what ethnicity she was if it seemed to strike a chord with you. I agree with you though on the sentiment, if you can't handle being on the same street as someone, you are going to need to stay home on your own accord.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 05-11-2020 at 07:50 PM.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:05 PM   #4774

Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
haven't been in any box stores in 6? weeks now? no need whatsoever.

shop online - grocery and meal delivery, then hit up the local green grocer for some fresh veg and maybe a fresh loaf of bread. We do 1 take out night a week.

Why would anybody willingly go into a costco right now? I'm not trying to be mean, I just can't think of anything dumber than to intentionally expose yourself to hundreds of people - masks or no masks.
Costco has good pricing on lots of products and they have been one of few retailers that has a strong supply chain - certainly better than the Weston chains or Sobeys. Plus, people are bored and with the malls closed, they carry a lot of household goods such as electronics, sporting goods, clothing, and gardening supplies.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #4775

Thanked 31,198 Times in 7,171 Posts
I haven't seen a single issue with the supply chain in any locally owned grocery store I have been to, but to be fair, I am probably more willing to adapt if certain foods aren't there. Never had an issue with shit tickets and the like though. If people are bored there's a few hundred better ideas than Costco. That's exactly the issue here. If people are just going to go meander around the grocery stores and Costco because they are bored, why even bother with closing restaurants, parks and the like. It's like they are treating Costco like it's the Roxy without the puke soaked carpet and $7.25 bottles of Canadian.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: