REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #4401
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,875 Times in 8,230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Almost all of the new cases are from Foreign workers living in cramped dormitories. Singapore didn't really even "lockdown" until April.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...ories-12660968
One day Singapore will be used as an example, but we don't even know of what that example will be yet. I remember in early March people were saying they basically had the virus defeated. But it seems they got too complacent, missed out on one key step in controlling the virus (wearing masks), and community spreading started to take hold. The other key thing may be that they gave out masks and sanitizer to local residents, but not foreigners. The virus doesn't give a shit whether you're visiting a country or were born there, but the government does, so they got fucked. It eventually got to the dorms, where people literally can't socially isolate.. and boom

So few people outside SG know about the horrible living conditions of their low income foreigner work force. They seem to be practically slaves. Those who did know warned about the conditions, but their voices were stifled.

Unfortunately that's behind a paywall; I think it would be a good read.

There are so many news sources that offer good content, but each one costs money to go to. I already sub to so many things, so I feel like I am missing out
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:06 PM   #4402
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Man who called covid-19 lockdown bullshit dies from virus

https://au.news.yahoo.com/man-said-c...105610080.html
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:29 PM   #4403
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,262 Times in 580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
great quote... singapore learned it the hard way. They thought OH, they are world leader in this covid19 on containing.. opened for a bit and bam 300+ new cases. Shut down again.

I can't wait to see how US will see a sudden spike on wave 2 or 3.

I personally have shopped at small business for groceries even though I live in richmond. I don't go to TNT or price smart. I find TNT has really jacked up items beyond what's normal. Now save on foods, I do need my milk and butter which I cna't get from chinese groceries stores.

Even when I had a job, because I've been blessed being a good home cook, but growing up, mom and dad never had any income to order in or take out.
But man I see so many take out deliveries to our neighbors, I don't know how people can eat that much deliveries.
Cause you live in Richmond, plenty of international students that have a lot of disposable income and are shitty cooks.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2020, 04:46 PM   #4404
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,708 Times in 5,218 Posts
Fuck I live in Richmond and my buildings front lobby is literally a circus of Fantuan delivery drivers every night
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #4405

Thanked 4,864 Times in 1,788 Posts
So apparently a new autopsy found 2 Californians died of COVID 3 weeks before the first officially reported death of COVID in the US. Even more important is that they had no significant travel history meaning this was community spread to them, which means this was spreading in the USA (and probably Canada) FAR longer than originally thought.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/us/ca...-us/index.html
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #4406
I STILL don't get it

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coro...-april-22-2020

71 new cases. Likely from the warm long weekend weather. Would not be surprised to see an uptrend with the warm weather all of last week and seeing crowds around the city.
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:09 PM   #4407
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ayor-1.5541869

"Mayor Kennedy Stewart says borrowing money from province would saddle city with massive deficit."

"Vancouver's mayor says the financial help being offered by the B.C. government is a "poison chalice" because of the terms it would impose on the city."

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #4408
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,439 Times in 5,692 Posts
Duck when you thought moonbeam was bad along came Stewart.

Even though I will be effected I think Vancouver needs a huge fucking overhaul in terms of where our money goes. You walk along false creek sea wall and shit is in shambles compared to 10 years ago. We can’t maintain basic parks and cleanlisness shit, homelessness has never been addressed, how he’s crying about this shit?

Ffs..
Old 04-22-2020, 05:26 PM   #4409
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
This occurred on March 13th, at the height of confusion/panic. Not excusing his behaviour, but I find it odd why it took over a month to have the story come out.
It takes a few weeks for VPD to gather evidence, conduct interviews and then make sure everything is confirmed with the Communication team before releasing it to the press. They probably wanted to just find the person internally first before reaching out to the public for help.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-22-2020, 05:28 PM   #4410

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/coro...-april-22-2020

71 new cases. Likely from the warm long weekend weather. Would not be surprised to see an uptrend with the warm weather all of last week and seeing crowds around the city.
Today’s cases included the chicken farm workers that were on the news yesterday.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:00 PM   #4411
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,522 Times in 1,710 Posts
coronavirus discussion

More bad news from CNN about this nasty bug. Covid 19 can cause strokes in healthy people in their 30s and 40s:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/healt...lts/index.html

The new coronavirus appears to be causing sudden strokes in adults in their 30s and 40s who are not otherwise terribly ill, doctors reported Wednesday.

They said patients may be unwilling to call 911 because they have heard hospitals are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases.
There's growing evidence that Covid-19 infection can cause the blood to clot in unusual ways, and stroke would be an expected consequence of that.

Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of Covid-19 infection or no symptoms at all.

"The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN.

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks. Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of Covid," he added.
Doctors try to untangle why they're seeing 'unprecedented' blood clotting among Covid-19 patients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by pastarocket; 04-22-2020 at 06:07 PM.
pastarocket is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #4412

Nah
Old 04-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #4413
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,777 Times in 3,871 Posts
I feel that Americans and their diet/average BMI are begging for strokes. I’ll wait until it starts happening in other countries
Old 04-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #4414

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I feel that Americans and their diet/average BMI are begging for strokes. I’ll wait until it starts happening in other countries
The article says no past history, and also even unhealthy fat people don't usually get strokes in their 30's and 40's unless it's from other causes.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:41 PM   #4415

It’s CNN.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #4416
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,980 Times in 3,905 Posts
What's the accuracy of the testing that's currently available and being used for things like these autopsies or the homeless in Boston?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #4417

Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,483 Posts

Old 04-22-2020, 09:33 PM   #4418
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,406 Times in 555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Goddamn, money over lives. 100% this woman.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:46 PM   #4419

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Man the media is really working overtime to disprove hydroxychloroquine. To the point of bombarding the airwaves with severely flawed studies as if they were fact.
It's almost as if they're hoping it fails as a treatment
https://globalnews.ca/news/6847709/h...irus-research/
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 09:53 PM   #4420

Thanked 7,420 Times in 3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Man the media is really working overtime to disprove hydroxychloroquine. To the point of bombarding the airwaves with severely flawed studies as if they were fact.
How many days does trump have to return the 30 million doses he bought?
Is the return policy simular to Costco?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...c-options.html

Quote:
Information for Clinicians on Investigational Therapeutics for Patients with COVID-19

Updated April 13, 2020

There are no drugs or other therapeutics approved by the US Food and Drug Administration to prevent or treat COVID-19. Current clinical management includes infection prevention and control measures and supportive care, including supplemental oxygen and mechanical ventilatory support when indicated. Interim guidelines for the medical management of COVID-19 will be provided soon by the Department of Health and Human Services COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel.
Old 04-22-2020, 09:55 PM   #4421
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Is that CNN now? Haven't had American news channels for years. Anderson just kept trying to put words in her mouth.
Old 04-22-2020, 10:09 PM   #4422

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Early research on these drugs showed very little promise from the start. There was one in-vitro study by a whackjob researcher in France that showed positive results. Everything else I've seen that is science-based said it's not what we hoped it would be. We've yet to do a large enough study to really conclude either way however.

Also reporting on facts does NOT mean you want it to happen.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:05 AM   #4423

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Early research on these drugs showed very little promise from the start. There was one in-vitro study by a whackjob researcher in France that showed positive results. Everything else I've seen that is science-based said it's not what we hoped it would be. We've yet to do a large enough study to really conclude either way however.
That "whackjob" conducted the biggest clinical trial on the planet, using over 2600 patients in a controlled test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Also reporting on facts does NOT mean you want it to happen.
Let's look at these "facts" from the study that all the media seemed so conclusive about yesterday.

1) this "study" was by no means a random and controlled test. These were charts that were dug up and reviewed after the fact.

2) patients had essentially been given the drug as a last ditch effort long after they'd shown symptoms.
Antiviral medication is meant to reduce the spread in the body, NOT reverse damage that's already been done.
It's meant to be administered at the earliest possible stage. But they keep giving it to people on their death bed and saying "i guess it doesn't work".

3) all charts reviewed were male. Double the rate of death from females. Again, NOT random testing.

4) the majority of charts reviewed were African American. Which we already know suffer a much higher rate of death. And yes, again, NOT random testing.

5) it's stated that "those who were at a higher risk of death were given hydroxychloroquine". Well yea, no shit that's gonna skew the results.

This "study" was complete and utter garbage with absolutely no value other than fake sensational headlines meant to influence those who lack the capacity to read past them.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-23-2020 at 01:25 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:18 AM   #4424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
How many days does trump have to return the 30 million doses he bought?
Is the return policy simular to Costco?
So how much exactly did he pay?
You've mentioned it multiple times. I'm sure you can answer that question.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #4425
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,060 Times in 1,932 Posts
Whether you think it is wacked or not, testing is a lot closer to home!

Controversial malaria drug hydroxychloroquine tested at B.C. seniors’ home

https://globalnews.ca/news/6744766/h...e-coronavirus/
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote