REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 AM   #4426
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
Oh I was wondering if I would have to discuss Dr Raoult some time. He's been known about for years, so it's fun to see him in headlines lately.

I'll get around to doing a post later, maybe tomorrow. Need to have the most credible sources (some people care about that)

But aside from all that, it may or may not yet prove to be an effective treatment. But if he says it is, that's about the same as my cat saying it is. Wait for real science to say so.

I don't think the media is trying to make the treatment look bad. On the other hand, the bias we see from people who so desperately want it to pan out well, just so they can say "Trump was right", is kind of funny to me
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 10:53 AM   #4427
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Oh I was wondering if I would have to discuss Dr Raoult some time. He's been known about for years, so it's fun to see him in headlines lately.

I'll get around to doing a post later, maybe tomorrow. Need to have the most credible sources (some people care about that)

But aside from all that, it may or may not yet prove to be an effective treatment. But if he says it is, that's about the same as my cat saying it is. Wait for real science to say so.

I don't think the media is trying to make the treatment look bad. On the other hand, the bias we see from people who so desperately want it to pan out well, just so they can say "Trump was right", is kind of funny to me
I'm finding that so bizarre to witness as well. I've never seen a group of people become to obsessed with a particular drug before.

There are other trials of treatments along with antibody testing that is being conducted which also looks promising, but yet you don't hear these guys even mentioning that.

Their entire focus is on hydroxychloroquine, simply because Trump and their media has been pushing it so hard.

It's this odd desperation to cling to anything he says to prove him right, to abrogate him from any negative responsibility he carries to which he's handled this whole pandemic.

I've never seen the bar lowered to such degree for one man.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #4428
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I'm finding that so bizarre to witness as well. I've never seen a group of people become to obsessed with a particular drug before.

There are other trials of treatments along with antibody testing that is being conducted which also looks promising, but yet you don't hear these guys even mentioning that.

Their entire focus is on hydroxychloroquine, simply because Trump and their media has been pushing it so hard.

It's this odd desperation to cling to anything he says to prove him right, to abrogate him from any negative responsibility he carries to which he's handled this whole pandemic.

I've never seen the bar lowered to such degree for one man.
You mean the antibody testing i mentioned two pages ago? That Canada still hasn't approved?

Name one other treatment being tested on the same scale as hydroxychloroquine.
There are clinical trials taking place all across the globe. And it's not "because Trump is pushing it". It's because it's shown more promise than any other treatment so far.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #4429

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
You mean the antibody testing i mentioned two pages ago? That Canada still hasn't approved?

There are clinical trials taking place all across the globe. And it's not "because Trump is pushing it". It's because it's shown more promise than any other treatment so far.
That's great. Keep fighting the good fight for your man there.

I've told you before, I have zero interest in debating with you on an online forum any longer, I don't see you as carrying a legitimate opinion.

You are a troll right down to your username, any rebuttal one would make to you will not change your mind, this is your online character.

Maybe you can try the drug yourself and give us some direct feedback? Like Trump said, what do you have to lose?
Old 04-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #4430
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,403 Times in 3,475 Posts
Quote:

From Capital Daily: Island hospitals join global COVID-19 cure testing

Local patients will be asked to test a drug cocktail meant to treat the virus

COVID-19 patients at Royal Jubilee and Nanaimo Regional, Vancouver Island’s two pandemic response hubs, will be asked to participate in a two year voluntary study assessing drug treatments for the disease. Led by the World Health Organization, the study is spanning 90 countries and will gauge the effectiveness of three drugs; Kaletra, a drug used to treat HIV, Remdesivir, an antiviral and hydroxychloroquine, a malaria treatment that was controversially pushed as a possible cure by US President Donald Trump. There are currently only 5 COVID-positive hospitalized Islanders, which may limit the study significantly.

April 23/2020
Old 04-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #4431
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,843 Times in 1,486 Posts
The last sentence is the best part.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 01:31 PM   #4432
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,910 Posts
The reporter that was chasing the story in wuhan, and went missing, has reappeared two months later, says he was quarantined due to being in sensitive areas...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-52392762
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #4433

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
From Capital Daily: Island hospitals join global COVID-19 cure testing

Local patients will be asked to test a drug cocktail meant to treat the virus

COVID-19 patients at Royal Jubilee and Nanaimo Regional, Vancouver Island’s two pandemic response hubs, will be asked to participate in a two year voluntary study assessing drug treatments for the disease. Led by the World Health Organization, the study is spanning 90 countries and will gauge the effectiveness of three drugs; Kaletra, a drug used to treat HIV, Remdesivir, an antiviral and hydroxychloroquine, a malaria treatment that was controversially pushed as a possible cure by US President Donald Trump. There are currently only 5 COVID-positive hospitalized Islanders, which may limit the study significantly.

April 23/2020
Can you show me multiple testing and trials done, with positive results, of either of those two?
Or hundreds of physicians testimony in favor of them?

Quote:
That's great. Keep fighting the good fight for your man there.

I've told you before, I have zero interest in debating with you on an online forum any longer, I don't see you as carrying a legitimate opinion.

You are a troll right down to your username, any rebuttal one would make to you will not change your mind, this is your online character.

Maybe you can try the drug yourself and give us some direct feedback? Like Trump said, what do you have to lose?
Yet you still replied.
I really don't care that Trump keeps spouting about it. In fact, i kinda wish he wouldn't so the media might actually report honestly on it.
I care whether or not it works. And so far there have been a lot of positive results that have been discounted due to technicalities.
If it works, great. I think we should all be happy about that. Regardless of who's endorsing it.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #4434

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
More bad news from CNN about this nasty bug. Covid 19 can cause strokes in healthy people in their 30s and 40s:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/22/healt...lts/index.html

The new coronavirus appears to be causing sudden strokes in adults in their 30s and 40s who are not otherwise terribly ill, doctors reported Wednesday.

They said patients may be unwilling to call 911 because they have heard hospitals are overwhelmed by coronavirus cases.
There's growing evidence that Covid-19 infection can cause the blood to clot in unusual ways, and stroke would be an expected consequence of that.

Dr. Thomas Oxley, a neurosurgeon at Mount Sinai Health System in New York, and colleagues gave details of five people they treated. All were under the age of 50, and all had either mild symptoms of Covid-19 infection or no symptoms at all.

"The virus seems to be causing increased clotting in the large arteries, leading to severe stroke," Oxley told CNN.

"Our report shows a seven-fold increase in incidence of sudden stroke in young patients during the past two weeks. Most of these patients have no past medical history and were at home with either mild symptoms (or in two cases, no symptoms) of Covid," he added.
Doctors try to untangle why they're seeing 'unprecedented' blood clotting among Covid-19 patients

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the stuff that pisses me off in this forum, and in other threads/reddits I've been following.

Too many armchair idiots, Hondaracer I'm not trying to target your reply to this post, but you had indicated "Nah" after he Pastarocket made this post.

You claim it's bullshit because it's "CNN".

This is the fucking environment Trump and his lackeys have created with this whole "fake news" agenda. People question facts and reality, they question legitimate media, and I'm tired of it.

As I've said in previous posts, my spouse works in the actual COVID unit at VGH. Guess what? All of her patients are having issues with blood clotting.

There are 3 specific blood tests they have found abnormally elevated in almost all positive covid patients

Ferritin - This is a component of iron. It is thought to be elevated as a result of a cytokine storm response in the body. A cytokine storm occurs when our immune system goes into overdrive and releases too many antibodies which ends up harming our organs. It can lead to kidney damage, liver damage, and several other things.

C-reactive protein - This is released when there is inflammation in the body.

D-dimer - This is indicative of clots in the body. Their covid patients have extremely high D-dimer values which puts them at a higher risk of deep vein thrombosis (clots in the legs) and pulmonary embolism (clots in the lungs).

All of their covid patients are on an anticoagulant injection twice a day. Since these patients have new issues with their kidneys (see cytokine storm) they have needed dialysis. Dialysis techs have complained of their lines becoming plugged due to abnormally thick blood.

They watch these 3 bloodwork results in the hospital. If they trend down that is a sign a patient is recovering. If they trend up that puts the patient in a danger zone and they most likely end up in ICU.

This is the reason that one Canadian actor (whose name has escaped me) had to have his leg amputated after contracting COVID.

There are too many armchair quarterbacks both on this forum, and on the rest of the internet spewing their idiotic views without having any medical knowledge or background.

We are setting a very dangerous precedent if we continue in this "fake news" trend, where we live in a world where we doubt actual facts both from the scientific and medical community simply because some asshat decides that over half of the media is simply fake.

I've become extremely worried what type of future we will have if we continue in that mentality.

Once again I'm not targeting you Honda, but I'm tired of people pretending they know it all, when they have no clue at all.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #4435
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

FYI. Anyone living by 2 road and Blundell. The Shoppers there has Lysol wipes for sale. Max one per customer. This was bout half an hour ago. I saw maybe 2 dozen there. It’s not on the shelf’s. It’s behind where the cashiers work.
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 03:37 PM   #4436

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
mikemgh, I was just thinking the same about you.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:17 PM   #4437
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,403 Times in 5,675 Posts
CNN creates their own environment where you lean towards doubt before believing their reporting.

I’m not saying they are wrong or right but frankly all media are their own worst enemy and there are endless examples of this from all outlets. If CNN reports it I’m more likely to take the issue or subject matter seriously once additional outlets begin to report it or further studies arise. This isn’t some sort of trump fake news narrative. Virtually all news outlet report inaccurately and correct their reporting after the fact or attempt to adjust their reporting with follow ups. There’s never been a time before where the information being spewed out is more skewed by opinion and bias.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #4438
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportPsycho View Post
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/suspect-in-des...fied-1.4909788

VANCOUVER -- The suspect in an alleged assault on an elderly man at an East Vancouver convenience store has turned himself in to police, according to a man who identified himself as the suspect’s son.

CTV News has confirmed through multiple sources that the suspect recorded on store surveillance video on March 13 is named Jamie Bezanson.

Court records and public documents indicate Bezanson lives in East Vancouver and is a longshoreman.

The man identifying himself as the suspect’s son told CTV News his father had turned himself in to police, and was told there would be no charges.

Vancouver police late Thursday would only confirm they have not made any arrests but have identified a suspect.

A spokesperson for the BC Prosecution Service said they were not involved in the case.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 09:19 PM   #4439

Quote:
Can you show me multiple testing and trials done, with positive results, of either of those two?
Or hundreds of physicians testimony in favor of them?

Yet you still replied.
I really don't care that Trump keeps spouting about it. In fact, i kinda wish he wouldn't so the media might actually report honestly on it.
I care whether or not it works. And so far there have been a lot of positive results that have been discounted due to technicalities.
If it works, great. I think we should all be happy about that. Regardless of who's endorsing it.
You're right I said I wouldn't respond to you, but a final point to this must be made.

You asked to know a drug that is being used to treat COVID patients with successful results. This is right from the horse's mouth. On the COVID unit at VGH they are using Tocilizumab, an immunosuppressive drug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocilizumab

This is literally what they are using with success on for COVID patients at a world class hospital, right here where you call home.

They are not using hydroxychloroquine.

Get off the internet and out of your right-wing bubble for once and speak with actual people working within the actual field and on the front lines.

You are nothing but a keyboard warrior, and you bring nothing to the table.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 09:34 PM   #4440
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
How many idiots are going to end up in the hospital after injecting Lysol while standing in the sun in the next 72 hours?
Old 04-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #4441
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,845 Times in 8,207 Posts
If Trump wasn't real his story would be one of the funniest comedies in history

Instead it's a tragedy
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:43 PM   #4442
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

America officially passes 50k deaths and the wartime president has moved on from chloroquine to drinking lysol disinfectant. See you all at 75k deaths very soon.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #4443
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,948 Times in 3,887 Posts
Camera 2 of the cleaner/UV bit

https://i.imgur.com/03gBKqT.mp4
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2020, 11:50 PM   #4444
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,910 Posts
Jesus christ I know he wants to promote an image of the administration trying to find a solution, and are hard at work, but my fucking god, those aren't musings of a president they're of a madman

The doctors having a heart attack listening to that
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 01:29 AM   #4445
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
wreckless is an understatement
i feel sorry for Hillary for losing to the loose cannon
a superpower brought to its knees and the leader still in his former reality tv self
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:09 AM   #4446

Quote:
You're right I said I wouldn't respond to you, but a final point to this must be made.

You asked to know a drug that is being used to treat COVID patients with successful results. This is right from the horse's mouth. On the COVID unit at VGH they are using Tocilizumab, an immunosuppressive drug:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tocilizumab

This is literally what they are using with success on for COVID patients at a world class hospital, right here where you call home.

They are not using hydroxychloroquine.

Get off the internet and out of your right-wing bubble for once and speak with actual people working within the actual field and on the front lines.

You are nothing but a keyboard warrior, and you bring nothing to the table.
Hey that's terrific, Mike.
I sincerely hope it's successful.
-Norm Franz
Old 04-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #4447

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/c...nada-1.5542890

Quote:
Respondents were presented with six conspiracy theories and asked if they believe any of them. According to Marie-Eve Carignan, an associate professor at the University of Sherbrooke and one of the co-authors of the study, at least one in 10 respondents believed at least one of the six theories.

She cautioned that the findings of the study are preliminary, and that team will have the results of a survey of 1,500 Canadians two weeks from now. Eventually their work will expand to include six countries.

Carignan said the six theories were:

-My government is hiding important information about coronavirus.
-Coronavirus was intentionally made in a lab.
-Coronavirus was manufactured in a lab by mistake.
-The pharmaceutical industry is involved in the spread of the coronavirus.
-Coronavirus medication already exists.
-There's a link between 5G technology and the coronavirus.

One of the most popular conspiracy theories of the pandemic is that the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 was genetically engineered in a laboratory, possibly as a biological weapon. While just over half of those surveyed said they believe the virus occurred naturally, nearly a third said they believe it was created in a lab.
https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...avirus-chinese

Quote:
The first person known to have been infected by the Wuhan coronavirus had never visited the city’s seafood market – regarded as the epicentre of the outbreak – according to Chinese researchers, who also called for extra precautions against airborne transmission of the disease between humans.
The researchers, seven of whom work at Wuhan’s Jinyintan hospital, designated for patients with the illness, revealed on Friday in The Lancet medical journal that symptoms of the new disease were first reported on December 1 – much earlier than the Wuhan government’s initial announcement on December 31 of 27 cases of the pneumonia-like infection.
According to the report, the first patient had no exposure to the Huanan seafood market which was shut down on January 1 over fears – later confirmed – that the new virus was linked to its trade in wild animals. The researchers added that none of the patient’s family had developed fever or any respiratory symptoms. There was also no epidemiological link between the first patient and the later cases, they found.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 04-24-2020 at 08:46 AM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #4448
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Engineered bioweapon? That doesn't even make sense. If that was the intent, wouldn't you create something that kills more than just the weak and elderly? That just leaves the strong and pissed off as survivors.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:21 PM   #4449
Need to Seek Professional Help

Wait until you learn that disinfectants are commonly used in vaccines.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #4450

Quote:
Hey that's terrific, Mike.
I sincerely hope it's successful.
No you don't

This has always been only about politics for you.

If the world was run by people like you, we'd be drinking bleach by now.