REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-03-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,785 Times in 1,175 Posts
Compact Luxury SUVs :( Help with Choices

Hi Revscene! I'm looking to replace my now-totaled Accord Touring V6 with a compact luxury SUV (mostly for the SO) and I'm having a hard time making choices. Originally, started looking at the RAV4 (Prime PHEV, with the 302hp and 70KM electric range), CR-V Touring (boring, have had a lot of Honda products in the past and I like them but they're boring... and CVT, ew) and Mazda CX-5 (GT Turbo or Signature trim, very nice interior, very nice driving SUV, but a bit smaller than the two mentioned before).

But then.

BUT. THEN.

I started thinking.

For that price, I can get a new CR-V/RAV4/CX-5... or a used Porsche Macan base. Or a Q5. Or a used SQ5.

Or. A brand new Stelvio Ti Sport. From 2018. 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport

Tell me this is a terrible/good idea, Revscene.
Advertisement
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
When everyone I see someone cross-shopping Honda Civic and a used 335i. No one can help them because they don't really know what they want or have no idea what they're getting into.

No one can decide for you but you. You know which one of those options is the right one for you.

You're cross-shopping a Rav4 with an Alfa Reomeo. I would check the carbon monoxide levels in your house because I think it's affecting your frontal cortex.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Holy Smoke
Manufacturer's Discount -$18,880 on Alfa Romeo Stelvio
Poor Alfa
Nobody want their cars
Old 02-03-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,212 Times in 188 Posts
Like above said, you've expanded your options a huge amount and need to cut it down a bit more.

That being said, my girl has a cx-5 and it's a great car. Mazda's are looking really sharp these days i think and it's got some great features with the SkyActiv package. We took it on a road trip down to Yosemite last year and all the automated stuff was great for that (lane departure warning, auto braking when cruise control on, auto-off high beams with oncoming cars, etc.). Yes it's a bit on the smaller side but the seats fold down of course and pretty usable space then. Other options will most likely excel in some areas, however no complaints on the Mazda from us, we love it.
smaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:36 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,191 Times in 364 Posts
I've driven the CX5 Turbo, Stelvio Ti Sport, and new gen Q3 recently.

The Alfa felt really cheap on the inside but had a very light driving feel.

The CX-5 was a very impressive product but cramped as you've noticed.

I didn't like the Audi Q3 - the adaptive cruise failed to notice the bus in front of me, the interior was largely hard plastic, and the ride was incredibly bouncy.

The RAV4 Prime will be impossible to get - they've got something like 500 allocated for Canada for 2020 which is less than 1 per dealer.

From what I know from a Porsche Tech, the Macans suffer from transfer case failure.

A used Q5/SQ5 could be a good pick if you're not looking for adaptive cruise/sensor stuff, the 3.0 supercharged/8AT they had was incredibly reliable.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,315 Times in 2,518 Posts
I would not trust the reliability from Alfa Romeo for a minute. Cross that one off your list.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,825 Times in 3,905 Posts
Alfa and Fiat are likely pulling out of North America sooner rather than later
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 02:49 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,124 Times in 179 Posts
What about a Jaguar F-Pace?
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
When everyone I see someone cross-shopping Honda Civic and a used 335i. No one can help them because they don't really know what they want or have no idea what they're getting into.

No one can decide for you but you. You know which one of those options is the right one for you.

You're cross-shopping a Rav4 with an Alfa Reomeo. I would check the carbon monoxide levels in your house because I think it's affecting your frontal cortex.
Well, like I said, I'm not sure what I really want in terms of a compact SUV. The SO basically said "cute, red, not too large." She's not a picky driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smaggs View Post
Like above said, you've expanded your options a huge amount and need to cut it down a bit more.

That being said, my girl has a cx-5 and it's a great car. Mazda's are looking really sharp these days i think and it's got some great features with the SkyActiv package. We took it on a road trip down to Yosemite last year and all the automated stuff was great for that (lane departure warning, auto braking when cruise control on, auto-off high beams with oncoming cars, etc.). Yes it's a bit on the smaller side but the seats fold down of course and pretty usable space then. Other options will most likely excel in some areas, however no complaints on the Mazda from us, we love it.
The Mazda is a strong option, especially with the turbo/Signature trim package. We both like it a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
I've driven the CX5 Turbo, Stelvio Ti Sport, and new gen Q3 recently.

The Alfa felt really cheap on the inside but had a very light driving feel.

The CX-5 was a very impressive product but cramped as you've noticed.

I didn't like the Audi Q3 - the adaptive cruise failed to notice the bus in front of me, the interior was largely hard plastic, and the ride was incredibly bouncy.

The RAV4 Prime will be impossible to get - they've got something like 500 allocated for Canada for 2020 which is less than 1 per dealer.

From what I know from a Porsche Tech, the Macans suffer from transfer case failure.

A used Q5/SQ5 could be a good pick if you're not looking for adaptive cruise/sensor stuff, the 3.0 supercharged/8AT they had was incredibly reliable.
We are looking at SQ5/Q5s too, but we would like the 2018+ post-refresh model which narrows the field considerably.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I would not trust the reliability from Alfa Romeo for a minute. Cross that one off your list.
Yeah that's what has got me really uncertain about the Alfa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Alfa and Fiat are likely pulling out of North America sooner rather than later
This too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by immorality View Post
What about a Jaguar F-Pace?
Haven't really considered it but I heard it's the tightest in terms of space for all the cross-overs in the class? Would an I-Pace be more in line, as I think it's the same space as the CX-5/RAV4 etc?

EDIT: Also forgot about the Acura RDX... I think the A-SPEC model looks nice, especially in that blue.
fml

Last edited by roastpuff; 02-03-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #10
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,700 Times in 1,626 Posts
You also need to consider things like maintenance and such, as well as warranty - especially if you're looking into higher end cars.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
How compact do you want? Used Mercedes GLA-45 for mid 40k. Pretty sweet vehicle
Old 02-03-2020, 05:29 PM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
FWIW, the Jaguar F-Pace scores well below average for reliability in brakes, body integrity, and in-car electronics (below average overall) and scores below average in owner satisfaction according to Consumer Reports.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 05:33 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,920 Posts
Volvo XC40

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:53 PM   #14
I STILL don't get it

You may consider skipping the CR-V 1.5L Turbo from your cross shopping because of the oil dilution problem. Gasoline seeps into oil and results in rising high oil levels. This means less effective lubrication, gas fumes in the cabin, engine failure? Honda has released a TSB to address this, but who knows if the fix is permanent.
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,032 Times in 1,920 Posts
What about this bad boy? Listed at $32,800

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...060666883.html

Or something a bit more modern, $38,800. I'm going to sound like a broken record but do consider an AWD wagon, so much nicer to drive and if you need, you can actually put things on the roof. In most SUV, putting something on the roof (bike, skis, snowboard, thule box, etc.) is a PIA.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...062467903.html

One more to consider in your price range, $35K
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...056327302.html

Last edited by whitev70r; 02-03-2020 at 06:32 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
What about this bad boy? Listed at $32,800

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch...060666883.html
WAF very low lol. It's neither cute, nor red. Or "compact."
Quote:
Or something a bit more modern, $38,800. I'm going to sound like a broken record but do consider an AWD wagon, so much nicer to drive and if you need, you can actually put things on the roof. In most SUV, putting something on the roof (bike, skis, snowboard, thule box, etc.) is a PIA.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van...062467903.html
I did look at the C-wagon. And the rear seats were way too tight. The 3-series wagon had more space, and so does the Allroad. Which are also considerations. But the wagon premium is real...

Quote:
One more to consider in your price range, $35K
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds...056327302.html
I'm basically being warned away from Volvos due to the transfer case/transmissions having lots of issues... I wanted to look at the new V60 but apparently the twin-charged engine is a no-go outside of warranty.
fml
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,841 Times in 1,484 Posts
My wife has a CRV. Have had the oil issue fixed. It’s a beautiful car (should have gone for the touring, but basically got one option below, upgraded stereo, headlights would be worth it).

Love it but hate the transmission. Lol. I’d look into the XC40.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:08 AM   #18
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,297 Times in 1,975 Posts
Should get a Ram

Black

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:26 AM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,933 Times in 3,882 Posts
If you want something more luxurious than a Rav4/CR-V but not a money pit/time bomb like a Porsche or Alfa why not a Lexus?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #20
Banned By Establishment

X3M40i
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #21
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,527 Times in 4,316 Posts
If you enjoy feeling anxious and nervous every time you get into a car with that sinking feeling like something is going to break, will break, and is unreliable, and comes with costly and time consuming repairs, hands down, don't waste your time looking anywhere else. Alfa Romeo is the best choice. Everything else is a far cry from any of the above.

Having said that, I love Alfa Romeo. They are amazing...when they work.

I test drove the Lexus UX250h last weekend and really liked it. CVT didn't feel like a CVT (very refined) and had the pep it needed for the highway and in the city. Not going to be anything like a Macan, Q5, or any of the like. Might also be too small based on your list. Edit: The NX and RX are really nice too.

Edit #2: I missed the fact that this was for your SO. Is she looking for something that's not boring, or is that you? haha

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 02-04-2020 at 11:28 AM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2020, 12:20 PM   #22
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,034 Posts
How much space do you need? If the space is not a huge concern then the CX-5 Turbo is a great car. Keep in mind the front passenger seat becomes useless if you are an average height male, and you put a backwards facing seat behind it. There is a weird quirk with the CX-5 where the heated steering wheel is only heated at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

We shopped almost every SUV on the market and bought a X3. Anytime you go for a transverse layout the vehicle is going to be much more efficient with length. The GLC and X3 can't hide the fact they need to fit a large engine longitudinally in the front of the car.

I really liked the CR-V for it's handling, space efficiency and price, but my wife hated the power output and delivery. I feel it would be something that may be mitigated with the hybrid model coming out for 2020.

We also really liked the Rav4 Hybrid, but at $950 a month, an equally or better equipped luxury offering with Audi/BMW/MB was only about $100 more after negotiations. They won't budge on pricing with the hybrids because they can't make them fast enough.

Another thing to note is your use case. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, the luxury offerings is where it shines. The gas mileage is unbelievably good at speed, and it's a much more comfortable and quiet ride. We managed 10l/100km on our recent snowboard trip to Silverstar with the X3, and we weren't easy on the throttle.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
My wife has a CRV. Have had the oil issue fixed. It’s a beautiful car (should have gone for the touring, but basically got one option below, upgraded stereo, headlights would be worth it).

Love it but hate the transmission. Lol. I’d look into the XC40.
Parents have a Civic with the 1.5T - a bit rubber bandy with the CVT, but it's nice otherwise. I'll go look into the XC40 but worried about size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
Should get a Ram

Black

I miss my truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
If you want something more luxurious than a Rav4/CR-V but not a money pit/time bomb like a Porsche or Alfa why not a Lexus?
No Android Auto... and also boring Lexus drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by belka View Post
X3M40i
No Android Auto

Also ducking expensive, even used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
If you enjoy feeling anxious and nervous every time you get into a car with that sinking feeling like something is going to break, will break, and is unreliable, and comes with costly and time consuming repairs, hands down, don't waste your time looking anywhere else. Alfa Romeo is the best choice. Everything else is a far cry from any of the above.

Having said that, I love Alfa Romeo. They are amazing...when they work.

I test drove the Lexus UX250h last weekend and really liked it. CVT didn't feel like a CVT (very refined) and had the pep it needed for the highway and in the city. Not going to be anything like a Macan, Q5, or any of the like. Might also be too small based on your list. Edit: The NX and RX are really nice too.

Edit #2: I missed the fact that this was for your SO. Is she looking for something that's not boring, or is that you? haha
A bit of both - this might be our only car depending on what happens with her job in the next little bit, so I might not have the GTI any more. Also, if we're together I will drive 99% of the time so I want something with a little fun-to-drive in it...

I think the UX is a bit small. I will look at the NX and the RX but the RX might be approaching the "too big" end of the spectrum for her. But no Android Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
How much space do you need? If the space is not a huge concern then the CX-5 Turbo is a great car. Keep in mind the front passenger seat becomes useless if you are an average height male, and you put a backwards facing seat behind it. There is a weird quirk with the CX-5 where the heated steering wheel is only heated at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

We shopped almost every SUV on the market and bought a X3. Anytime you go for a transverse layout the vehicle is going to be much more efficient with length. The GLC and X3 can't hide the fact they need to fit a large engine longitudinally in the front of the car.

I really liked the CR-V for it's handling, space efficiency and price, but my wife hated the power output and delivery. I feel it would be something that may be mitigated with the hybrid model coming out for 2020.

We also really liked the Rav4 Hybrid, but at $950 a month, an equally or better equipped luxury offering with Audi/BMW/MB was only about $100 more after negotiations. They won't budge on pricing with the hybrids because they can't make them fast enough.

Another thing to note is your use case. If you are doing a lot of highway driving, the luxury offerings is where it shines. The gas mileage is unbelievably good at speed, and it's a much more comfortable and quiet ride. We managed 10l/100km on our recent snowboard trip to Silverstar with the X3, and we weren't easy on the throttle.
Space is a mild concern but it really just need to fits 4 people comfortably and 5 in a pinch. Good to note about the car seat spacing, and the weird heated wheel. I like the X3, but no Android Auto on the current model and the one based on the new platform is not out yet - also, I would hate myself for not getting the M40i but that is out of our current car budget. The wifey would be okay with the CR-V I think but I'm a bit over Honda products, and the lack of power/CVT compared to the other ones we are considering would be a negative in my books.

The RAV4 pricing is a bit nutty, as is with Toyotas in general. That's one negative with it - no bargaining room at all.

Good point on the highway capability of the German/luxury offerings. Will keep that in mind, as we do like to take road trips.
fml
Old 02-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #24
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
No one should ever buy an Alfa, even if you can get a short term lease for most of the lease period it'll just be at the shop.

The CX-5 isn't THAT small, it's smaller but everything about it is pretty damn nice minus the older infotainment.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,237 Times in 1,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post

Space is a mild concern but it really just need to fits 4 people comfortably and 5 in a pinch. Good to note about the car seat spacing, and the weird heated wheel. I like the X3, but no Android Auto on the current model and the one based on the new platform is not out yet - also, I would hate myself for not getting the M40i but that is out of our current car budget. The wifey would be okay with the CR-V I think but I'm a bit over Honda products, and the lack of power/CVT compared to the other ones we are considering would be a negative in my books.

The RAV4 pricing is a bit nutty, as is with Toyotas in general. That's one negative with it - no bargaining room at all.

Good point on the highway capability of the German/luxury offerings. Will keep that in mind, as we do like to take road trips.
When you say new platform do you mean the vehicle itself or iDrive? The X3 is already on the CLAR platform since 2018 so it is the "new" G series platform. I believe it was one of the first vehicles on it as it has the chassis code G01. The MY2020 is getting iDrive7, which is supposed to be able to support Android Auto in the future. I don't like driving it, but it drives a helluva lot better than the GLC. The GLC does however offer a hybrid model right now, and the eDrive X3 is coming. Not sure when, and it may be out of your date range.

If you go test drive the Rav4, take it on the highway. We found it unbearably loud.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: