REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Red Light Camera Speeding ticket: Ignore it? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/716827-red-light-camera-speeding-ticket-ignore.html)

bobbytomorow 03-17-2020 01:42 PM

Red Light Camera Speeding ticket: Ignore it?

I got a red light speeding ticket in the mail the other day for nearly $200...I was going down Kingsway around 7am to work...I didn't know these were brought back!

Anyway I heard 2 interesting things but I'm not sure about their validity:

1)
Quote:

"the ticket arriving in the mail is really an invitation to pay, not a legal obligation. If you ignore the ticket, it can only be convicted if you are successfully process served. If they don't/can't serve you, it will ultimately get cancelled"
Is this true?

2) That electronic evidence is not enough to convict in court, for speeding an officer must be also present to verify with his eyes essentially so the in court argument would be, "how do I know your device recorded my speed accurately?"

Anything worth pursuing in these or should I just pay the friggin ticket?

68style 03-17-2020 01:45 PM

I don't think these have been out long enough for anyone to have actually had to go to court yet... so I doubt there are many answers to your questions.

I do not think it will just go away though. And it will block you from renewing the insurance on this vehicle as long as it remains unresolved.

dvst8 03-17-2020 03:05 PM

How fast were you going?

jasonc97 03-17-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8978407)
I don't think these have been out long enough for anyone to have actually had to go to court yet... so I doubt there are many answers to your questions.

I do not think it will just go away though. And it will block you from renewing the insurance on this vehicle as long as it remains unresolved.

agreed with this comment, just wait a bit and see if you can do any kind of ICBC transaction. it will automatically flag you if you have an outstanding ticket. so just wait it out til you really have to pay lol

iambuRnz 03-17-2020 03:39 PM

just be thankful its just a red light camera intersection and not the one with the red light AND speed camera..

seeing how you didnt know these we're back, are you also aware that there are speed cameras in place?

SFU_wmc 03-17-2020 04:41 PM

just pay the friggin ticket

68style 03-17-2020 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iambuRnz (Post 8978429)
just be thankful its just a red light camera intersection and not the one with the red light AND speed camera..

seeing how you didnt know these we're back, are you also aware that there are speed cameras in place?

Read closer, he got a speeding ticket from the combo cameras

iambuRnz 03-17-2020 05:43 PM

It's just that from his post, he said RED LIGHT SPEEDING ticket.. i assumed he was going too fast that he didn't/couldnt stop. Anyway, either way, giving him a heads up wouldn't hurt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68style (Post 8978440)
Read closer, he got a speeding ticket from the combo cameras

bobbytomorow 03-17-2020 08:28 PM

I got this from a thread in another forum regarding this issue:

Quote:

There are basically 3 common outcomes from a mailed ticket:

1.The recipient pays it --> deemed guilty (convicted) upon payment.
2.The recipient disputes it --> a court date it set. If no appearance --> convicted.
3.The recipient does nothing (or doesn't receive it) --> the ticket will be sent for personal service. There are normally 3 attempts. If unsuccessful it might get sent out for another round of 3.

IF the ticket is served:

1.The recipient pays it --> deemed guilty upon payment.
2.The recipient disputes it --> a court date it set. If no appearance --> convicted.
3.After 30 days with no action it is deemed convicted.

So... what happens if service isn't successful? The ticket must ultimately be cancelled because there is no legal proof the owner was made aware of the ticket AND the clock is ticking (right to not have unreasonable delay). This is how our legal system works. If you doubt this, ask yourself: "why do we have process servers to serve red light and speeding tickets?"

Only when a ticket is convicted can ICBC use it to deny renewal.

There are a few other quite uncommon scenarios in this flow, but they're uncommon, so I've left them out to make this as simple as possible.
I think I'm going to ignore it as long as I can and see what happens

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvst8 (Post 8978424)
How fast were you going?

71km/h

lowside67 03-18-2020 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbytomorow (Post 8978406)
2) That electronic evidence is not enough to convict in court, for speeding an officer must be also present to verify with his eyes essentially so the in court argument would be, "how do I know your device recorded my speed accurately?"

That argument is silly. They will give you the device's calibration and tolerance which will demolish your point. That is why they don't give you tickets at 2km/h over, they give them to you at 20 over because there is no way that you can argue the tolerance is off by that amount.

Just pay the ticket. You were speeding, pay it. I got one, it sucked, and I paid it - because it's the right thing to do.

-Mark

Expresso 03-18-2020 09:40 AM

No one's going to have the answers you're looking for.

Ignore it and let us know how it goes.

Eff-1 03-18-2020 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbytomorow (Post 8978406)
the ticket arriving in the mail is really an invitation to pay, not a legal obligation

lol. If only...

bcrdukes 03-18-2020 10:45 AM

lol lets see how that goes when you are due to renew your insurance :fuckthatshit:

Hondaracer 03-18-2020 11:12 AM

I typed this out before but I guess it didn’t post

I got a red light camera ticket turning left onto nanaimo at Hastings last month, got it because my rear wheels were behind the line while my front wheels were across the line.. pretty hokey especially considering at that intersection MAYBE 2 vehicles get to turn even when it’s not very busy

bcrdukes 03-18-2020 11:48 AM

What did you do with the ticket? Pay it? Or rip it up and give them the finger? (Refer to my signature for reference)

twitchyzero 03-18-2020 02:14 PM

20+ over in 50 zone
man up and pay it

bcrdukes 03-18-2020 03:13 PM

C'mon guys. OP's position is that the letter that came in the mail is merely an invitation to pay, and not a legal obligation (he did say it, I'm not making it up.) Let's see in a few months time. :D

SSM_DC5 03-18-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hondaracer (Post 8978534)
I typed this out before but I guess it didn’t post

I got a red light camera ticket turning left onto nanaimo at Hastings last month, got it because my rear wheels were behind the line while my front wheels were across the line.. pretty hokey especially considering at that intersection MAYBE 2 vehicles get to turn even when it’s not very busy

Did you pay it or dispute it?

I asked a driving instructor once (the kind that teaches L and N drivers) how far I need to drive up to be considered in the intersection. Response was to get your whole body over the line (you the driver's body, not the car's body)

Koflach 03-18-2020 04:46 PM

You did the crime now pay the fine.

Hondaracer 03-18-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 8978537)
What did you do with the ticket? Pay it? Or rip it up and give them the finger? (Refer to my signature for reference)

I just paid it right away don’t have time to fuck around with a dispute etc. Learned my lesson and I was pro-camera at that intersection so nothing to be done about it

Gerbs 03-18-2020 06:28 PM

I think it's best that you don't pay and report back what happens. Since none of us has done that yet.

freakshow 03-19-2020 10:58 AM

Just got a speeding ticket from the only camera in Richmond.. FailFish

bcrdukes 03-19-2020 12:24 PM

Don't pay it. :troll:

freakshow 03-19-2020 02:00 PM

too late :(
if only OP got back to us about how not paying it went

bobbytomorow 03-19-2020 02:14 PM

Like I said above I don't plan on responding to this ticket until I have to or it goes away....someone needs to try this