REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
BBQ thread

Discuss all things bbq, better here than in Corona thread.

I'm currently looking for a natural gas Weber Genesis 2 ce-330 from Costco but they don't seem to have any in stock. Anyone have any other suggestions for ~$1k bbq with side burner?
Advertisement
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Is BBQ on a condo balcony worth it? I'm worried about the mess and clean up with grease. Do the neighbors get annoyed with the smoke?
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:25 AM   #3

Thanked 3,105 Times in 975 Posts
Anyone else here swear by charcoal bbq?
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-06-2020, 09:26 AM   #4
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Is BBQ on a condo balcony worth it? I'm worried about the mess and clean up with grease. Do the neighbors get annoyed with the smoke?
Might want to double check your strata bylaws first. Some draconian stratas do not allow BBQ on baloney.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
I'm looking into the Weber Spirit II E 250, it's just me and the wife so I don't think we'll need anything bigger than a 2 burner. Anyone have any other recommendations?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
You'll need to check with your strata by-laws. Some condos do not allow it and you can potentially get slapped with a fine by the strata with the possibility of making enemies with your neighbours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegra7 View Post
My folks swear by charcoal. We grew up using charcoal to BBQ and it was great. We switched over to propane when our family BBQs got bigger and bigger, so convenience was the trade off, but it's just nowhere near as good as charcoal. My parents still pull out the charcoal hibachi once in a while for smaller BBQs.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
For me, as I have a bigger balcony, it is worth it. Strata allows propane but not pellet or charcoal, sadly. If you keep your BBQ clean, it won't smoke that much if you get it nice and hot.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:54 AM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Is BBQ on a condo balcony worth it? I'm worried about the mess and clean up with grease. Do the neighbours get annoyed with the smoke?
It depends on a few different factors
  • How often will you really use it
  • How open is your balcony for airflow
  • Does your strata by-laws allow for it?

Most BBQs will have a grease pan that you can remove to empty out it out after use, so the grease shouldn't be that big of an issue.

Neighbours will only get annoyed if there's poor ventilation in the area and all the smoke gets blown into their condo. The more open your balcony is, the less issues you'll run into. You also have to consider that a poorly ventilated balcony means you'll also get that smell in your own condo.

I believe all stratas have banned charcoal BBQs for safety reason, so you'll only be able to use propane BBQs. If you do get one, I highly recommend getting a brand new propane tank from somewhere like Costco (theirs usually comes with a gauge so you know how much is left) because it's cheaper in the long run.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #9
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,054 Posts
As mentioned in the c19 thread, check out Johnstones in North Van or Surrey for all your BBQ needs.

Support a local family business that's basically an institution in NV. The sons run the shops now. Big box stores all sell BBQ's at cost or below to get you in to buy the accessories. The kid working at costco doesn't know sht about the products, and won't be able to help you find the right unit (if you have a choice at all).

https://www.johnstones.com/

For me, had to go propane at our condo. I would love to have had a gas hookup, but it's not too bad to keep a spare pig in the dry box on the deck. Personally, I don't mind my neighbours cooking this way at all. It's WAY better than walking into the hallway and smelling everybody's indoor cooking. Catching a waft of a steak cooking somewhere nearby when I'm having a beer on the deck is one of the great pleasures of summer.

Get the rotisserie! Nothing like a little roasting chicken crackling away in there. Butter, Beer, Baste
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:28 AM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,346 Times in 973 Posts
I've had the pleasure of buying during winter season; i just take the floor model, pre assembled. It's awesome.

Having used 4 BBQ propane over the years, it's a love hate with side burner. Less space to put shit versus having a side burner. Can't think of osmething I couldn't just put the pot on the bbq instead of side burner.

Lastly, realized I don't cook that big portions anymore (and esp. covid, i went with no side burner and just put a cast iron put / pan on the grill instead.

Hate clean up, so to have ot take out another side table to put shit on was meh
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Check your bylaws. From my experience most wooden buildings won’t allow bbq, concrete ones might. Absolutely no charcoal at any time only propane/natural gas.

And yes it’s worth it for fucks sake
Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Producer View Post
Support a local family business that's basically an institution in NV. The sons run the shops now. Big box stores all sell BBQ's at cost or below to get you in to buy the accessories. The kid working at costco doesn't know sht about the products, and won't be able to help you find the right unit (if you have a choice at all).

https://www.johnstones.com/
Johnstone's is awesome!

Got both our propane and charcoal BBQs from them. Customer service is stellar. Cannot recommend them enough.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:49 AM   #14
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
I got a used Genesis Silver 3 burner off CL, 5 years ago, spent a few hours sandblasting and painting some parts and about $250 on new burners, bars, grills and ignitor. For under $400 and a few hours, this thing is still like new and I can still get parts for it. I really like that it has a porcelain coated hood and composite counters cause I hate the look of stained stainless.

Anyways, you can find them on CL occasionally, for free or cheap and have yourself pretty much the last one you'll ever buy.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,346 Times in 5,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I'm looking into the Weber Spirit II E 250, it's just me and the wife so I don't think we'll need anything bigger than a 2 burner. Anyone have any other recommendations?
So this is the spirit I just bought from Costco, E330 is the top model of the spirit line. 3 burners plus the sear burner, side burner, stainless build with ceramic coated grills

This same bbq is between 100-200 more expensive at other retailers and you don’t get the peice of mind of the Costco return policy. It’s pretty much 4.5/5 on every review site etc.

If you’re looking at Theo other spirits in a similar price range I think it’s worth it to spend a little more on this one. A big complaint of the lower end spirits is that below the grill is completely open so animals etc. Can get at the Grease trap and burners where as this one is completely Enclosed with the enclosure also housing the tank.

In hindsight I probably would have tried to go with johnstones etc and bought more locally however this was already stretching my budget and imo a great balance between price and quality.

Cooked some sausages last night and man, was a dream compared to my Canadian tire special that was all rusted out lol
Old 05-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,767 Posts
Quote:
I have both, and love them both. They both fill different needs.

The gas grill is for mid-week cooking when you need to grill quickly. Fast warm up, cool down, less effort, no brainer. For me it's as important an appliance for my cooking as my oven. It also has the rotissierie which I use often and is awesome.

The charcoal kamodo is like the enjoyable Artisanal method of cooking. It's more effort, takes longer, but more rewarding. I actually get excited and look forward to using it on weekends. You can do the low/slow smoking cooks that you can't do with a gas grill (well, you may be able to but it's not the same). It's supposed to be nice weather this weekend, I think I'm going to smoke some ribs...

But if I HAD to choose one over the other, it would be the gas grill.

2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #17

I’m propane thru and thru but I love how much more social charcoal is. It’s slow to warm up, food cooks when it cooks. Just sit back with friends/family and have some brews and enjoy the long summer nights
Old 05-06-2020, 12:37 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
Having used 4 BBQ propane over the years, it's a love hate with side burner. Less space to put shit versus having a side burner. Can't think of osmething I couldn't just put the pot on the bbq instead of side burner.
My last cheap Home Depot BBQ had the traditional side burner. It was useless, not nearly enough heat output, waste of space that I never used. Considering my BBQ is like 5 steps away from my kitchen stove it was totally redundant.

The IR sear side burner however is totally a different story. I use it all the time. Cook a couple steaks (IE: in the winter when I don't use my charcoal) or a couple quick burgers without needing to heat up the entire BBQ and gives better flavour while it's at it.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:40 PM   #19
Old School RS

Thanked 3,960 Times in 1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
It's just my wife and I as well but I really recommend considering a 3 burner if you can fit it physically. The biggest benefit of a larger BBQ besides being able to put a large amount of food is the ability to create more distinct heat zones. I love being able to set my left burner at high, center at mid, and right at off and it really gives me a clear ability to shift food to hotter or cooler temps as I am cooking to equalize different types of food. I have the previous gen Weber Genesis 330 and love it.

-Mark
Old 05-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,171 Times in 1,552 Posts
Grill mats were a game-changer for me.

Meat cooks in it's own juices. Grill lines are still achieved. No grill to clean afterwards.

A simple 4oz cheeseburger comes out incredible. None of the cheese doesn't fall through the grill. It just crispifies on the edge of the patty.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:29 PM   #21
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Grill mats were a game-changer for me.

Meat cooks in it's own juices. Grill lines are still achieved. No grill to clean afterwards.

A simple 4oz cheeseburger comes out incredible. None of the cheese doesn't fall through the grill. It just crispifies on the edge of the patty.
Looks interesting, will def look into these.
I was looking at getting grillgrates but the cost...

https://www.grillgrate.com/
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #22

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
https://bid.ableauctions.ca/NAPOLEON...WITH_i36951627

Can bid for this at the police auction.

This bbq shoould be $1000+
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #23

I'm not sure about those grill mats. "Cooking in juices" doesn't make sense to me as moisture inhibits the maillard reaction (the delicious browning crust). The whole point of grilling is that you want those juices to sear up on the burner giving it that delicious smoke/char flavour. If you're going to do that you might as well use a frying pan or griddle.
And teflon starts to deteriorate at 500degF, which is pretty low for grilling.

Grillgrates seem like a bandaid for a poor quality grill.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 05-06-2020 at 02:26 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
https://bid.ableauctions.ca/NAPOLEON...WITH_i36951627

Can bid for this at the police auction.

This bbq shoould be $1000+
The LEX is Napoleon's former top of the "Made in China" models. (The Prestige lines are the true made in Canada ones with better quality materials)

They were discontinued, replaced by the Rogue XT I believe. Still solid if you can get it for that price, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 05-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #25
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,236 Times in 1,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
So this is the spirit I just bought from Costco, E330 is the top model of the spirit line. 3 burners plus the sear burner, side burner, stainless build with ceramic coated grills

This same bbq is between 100-200 more expensive at other retailers and you don’t get the peice of mind of the Costco return policy. It’s pretty much 4.5/5 on every review site etc.

If you’re looking at Theo other spirits in a similar price range I think it’s worth it to spend a little more on this one. A big complaint of the lower end spirits is that below the grill is completely open so animals etc. Can get at the Grease trap and burners where as this one is completely Enclosed with the enclosure also housing the tank.

In hindsight I probably would have tried to go with johnstones etc and bought more locally however this was already stretching my budget and imo a great balance between price and quality.

Cooked some sausages last night and man, was a dream compared to my Canadian tire special that was all rusted out lol
Yeah that definitely seems like a good deal compared to the other stores. How is the assembly, i know the lower spirit models sound like they take quite a bit of time to put together. Also do one or both tables on the side fold down?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote