REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Joe Rogan podcast moves to Spotify

Rumor has it he was paid 100 mill.
Advertisement
Old 05-19-2020, 04:46 PM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts

Good for him, this probably sets his kids up, along with his kids kids, and their kids as well.

I don't know if I'll follow, depends on if the app is easy to use for podcasts, and free. I use it for music but never for podcasts. The show has been getting really bad lately, with the coronavirus misinformation he spreads over and over.

I say that as someone who has been listening since about episode 100 or so; this is beyond the usual bullshit.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
^Totally agree, Skinny.

I listened to the podcast way way back in the Ice House days with Redban. Stopped listening to his podcast a few years back as he had gotten progressively worse.

I'll still throw it on if he has an interesting guest, but even then, it's usually a let down. I think it's a product of simply too many episodes, he's over saturated himself.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Funny, I literally signed up to Spotify today and cancelled my Google Play as it didn’t work on my garmin watch. Lol.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Meh, it is what it is I'll still listen. I listen to most his shows unless he has someone on discussing a topic I really have no interest in like for example last week Rhonda Patrick hard pass.

Yeah, he repeats himself a lot and you have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt, for me it's strictly entertainment not a news source.

The one thing I will say this Spotify thing sort of goes against everything he's been saying the last bunch of years about not selling out and doing it on his own. I know what he'd say to that, he's still in charge of content and creative direction so it's not a sell out. I mean I really don't care either way I think you'd be a moron to not take the money if you have one of the top podcasts in the world but don't say one thing and do another.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:50 AM   #6

i just listen to the short clips on youtube...much better
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2020, 10:58 AM   #7
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Rogan is basically men's version of Oprah
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,324 Times in 5,641 Posts
Even though he said he has the control and wants to put up the illusion of not selling out, feel like this is the beginning of the end for the show

During Covid obviously haven’t been going to the gym where I usually listen to his podcasts and recently have picked up way more audiobooks so I’m not sure if I will be going back to a full time listener
Old 05-20-2020, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Meh, it is what it is I'll still listen. I listen to most his shows unless he has someone on discussing a topic I really have no interest in like for example last week Rhonda Patrick hard pass.

Yeah, he repeats himself a lot and you have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt, for me it's strictly entertainment not a news source.

The one thing I will say this Spotify thing sort of goes against everything he's been saying the last bunch of years about not selling out and doing it on his own. I know what he'd say to that, he's still in charge of content and creative direction so it's not a sell out. I mean I really don't care either way I think you'd be a moron to not take the money if you have one of the top podcasts in the world but don't say one thing and do another.
Not the first time he's contradicted himself. He's a charlatan of sorts.

He plays himself as this uncompromising guy, who doesn't care about money, who doesn't sell out. He's sold out many times, yet his fans think he's infallible, it's a cult of personality type of following.

I agree with Honda, I do believe it's the beginning of the end, especially if he's taking his show off YouTube.
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #10

Welp, I guess its back to the Rush Limbaugh show I go.
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Further to money, looks like he has more than 100 million reasons to move to Spotify. That would be pretty hard to turn down.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/jo...184241683.html

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:25 PM   #12
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
I just listen to clips of his podcasts when he has debates. Some of them are hilarious.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts

He isn't so much selling out as being rewarded for all his work.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #14

While I don’t disagree, that Zuby guy is a fucking clown

I think the reason people call him a sellout is for the reasons listed above. He has always had this attitude that he’s not some corporate schil and wouldn’t plug things he doesn’t use himself etc. (Which, with some of the products he does do ads for I’d say is questionable)

Can’t fault him for taking 100 mill, anyone would.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:47 AM   #15

Zuby is a clown how?
Old 05-21-2020, 10:16 AM   #16

Likely cause of this:

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/lo...a-e1cb6a3574f3

I agree with Honda, the guy is a clown.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #17

On top of that it’s hard to take anyone who refers to them self in 3rd person seriously. Also wearing your own branded clothes and gear with your name on it, handing them out to seemingly anyone who MIGHT wear some stupid shirt, the shameless self promotion to a fault etc.

Honestly I’ve only heard him in like 3-4 different times and each time it’s been gross.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
Likely cause of this:

https://www.wqad.com/article/news/lo...a-e1cb6a3574f3

I agree with Honda, the guy is a clown.
Making a point in order to criticize the recent trend of the inclusion of biological males in female sports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
On top of that it’s hard to take anyone who refers to them self in 3rd person seriously. Also wearing your own branded clothes and gear with your name on it, handing them out to seemingly anyone who MIGHT wear some stupid shirt, the shameless self promotion to a fault etc.

Honestly I’ve only heard him in like 3-4 different times and each time it’s been gross.
A music artist with an ego and promoting his business and career at any opportunity? Inconceivable!

You both seem to have incredibly low standards for what constitutes clownish behaviour, even feeling the need to include your disapproval unnecessarily. Or are you so petty with someone you disagree with that you can't resist taking jabs. We know how sincere mikemhg is when calling others on here a clown, so I guess I expected more.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Long time listener, will switch because spotify seems like a good app anyways.

I think it all makes sense, especially in regards to having so many content issues on youtube. From what I understand it will still be free but I'm guessing you'll have to endure more ads if you don't have a paid spotify account.

Personally hated how he had to change the show for youtube bullshit, will be interesting to see how it changes things.

Rich
Vancouver240sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncing Bettys View Post
Making a point in order to criticize the recent trend of the inclusion of biological males in female sports.

A music artist with an ego and promoting his business and career at any opportunity? Inconceivable!

You both seem to have incredibly low standards for what constitutes clownish behaviour, even feeling the need to include your disapproval unnecessarily. Or are you so petty with someone you disagree with that you can't resist taking jabs. We know how sincere mikemhg is when calling others on here a clown, so I guess I expected more.
Honestly I actually commend him for the stupid gender identity BS, I think that’s great.

However just as I’ve said every time I’ve listened to him he’s exactly the type that rubs me the wrong way, don’t have a problem with ego etc. Moreso just the way he approaches conversation and how he seems to be incredibly “thirsty” for fame and attention.

Maybe if I listened to him more or cared enough to dig deeper I would appreciate him but as I said, the random times I’ve heard him talk he ain’t for me.
Old 05-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #21

I don't understand the "sellout" thing with the Spotify deal. If the show is exactly the same, just on a different platform, how is that selling out? He went from the biggest billion dollar platform, to another one.

If anything, his shows may be even less censored now. He has to tippy-toe around Youtube's algorithm based censorship so much, I think that had a lot to do with the decision to leave (of course that's on top of the drump truck full of money)
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 PM   #22

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
The people calling him a sellout are the same people who call him a UFC shill whenever he agrees with the companies decision. In the end they are just jealous he's making huge bank and they are most likely poor.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2020, 10:48 PM   #23

I never would have called him a UFC sellout until he started agreeing with their downright vile coronavirus shit. In fact it might have been what set him on his course towards virus denial - he went from totally accepting the facts, to trying to find some way to get around them, to flat out denial. And it started when he went from "I just want to see what the UFC does, Dana is "gangster"" to flat out going there to do a show.

People generally don't know how insane and and gross Dana is. Some day the stories might come out. He is really, really bad. Like not just a "Trump idiot" bad, but actually pretty evil.
Old 05-22-2020, 09:32 AM   #24

^This is exactly my issue with Joe.

Could care less his bank account or if he's moving to Spotify to get that bag, the man puts in the work for what he's achieved.

That doesn't mean I have to like or agree with the guy. I'd respect Joe more if he was honest about himself, it's the piousness that he pushes about himself in terms of his image that I find grating.

Even in his relationships with his friends, I remember how uncomfortable some of his older podcasts would get when he'd lay into his "friends" of lower stature, just being overall shitty, meanwhile not having that same energy to bigger name guests.

He promotes an image of himself that is antithetical to how he acts outside of the podcast, I've heard other comedians in interviews say the same thing.

That's my major issue, along with his recent COVID denial while peddling ONIT stuff, or "pretending" to be an impartial podcast, meanwhile having a new alt-right guy on the podcast every week.

If you think that's nitpicking, Bouncy, that's your opinion.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #25

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Spotify pays out $100m for Rogan, stock goes up almost 18%.
Spotify made $5b from that $100m investment in just 48 hours!
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote