REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #26
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
In the market at the end of the year / 2022 for a mid-sized sedan.

Questions for you

1. Would you buy this?
2. If yes, which package/trim would you pick, and options?
3. If you weren't to buy this, why?
4. Any recommendations / alternatives?
5. Is the interior the usual Acura interior in terms of materials?

I've always felt that Acura's interiors aren't the greatest when compared to say its Japanese counterparts, and definitely its European competitors, despite it being compared to them. I find that their interior materials don't age very well.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Are there Mugen and Spoon parts for it? but not troll
Interesting you don't like their interiors, cause I actually quite like them except for the stupid button shifter. Doesn't save any space(I feel it actually uses more space) and is not intuitive to a first time user (I feel the same way for BMW's bouncing stick too).
Advertisement
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 04:53 PM   #27
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
The 2.0t?
FWD or AWD?
How's the rear seat space?
How's the transmission? There were quirks in the RDX which I didn't like, specifically when you slowed down to a crawl, it stays in a higher gear and it took a longer split second than I would like to down shift and go.

The long hood thing is weird, it's a transverse layout right?
Yes 2.0t, only engine available at the moment
SH-AWD, in Canada you can't get FWD
rear seat is okay, tight about the same as Lexus IS or Infiniti Q50
depends on driving mode, in normal it seems to want to hold on to a higher gear but once you give it some throttle it downshifts and go. Not the fastest but not the slowest neither.

Quote:
In the market at the end of the year / 2022 for a mid-sized sedan.

Questions for you

1. Would you buy this?
2. If yes, which package/trim would you pick, and options?
3. If you weren't to buy this, why?
4. Any recommendations / alternatives?
5. Is the interior the usual Acura interior in terms of materials?

I've always felt that Acura's interiors aren't the greatest when compared to say its Japanese counterparts, and definitely its European competitors, despite it being compared to them. I find that their interior materials don't age very well.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Are there Mugen and Spoon parts for it? but not troll
1) hmmm if you were someone that likes how card drives you would want to look into this. Comparing this to Q50 and IS this is far better.
2) Looking at the specs I would get the Tech package. It gives you everything you need without the glitter the a-spec has.
3) The only reason why I would consider something else is if I want something a bit bigger. For example the Accord with the 2.0t is faster and roomier front, rear and trunk space but it's not as engaging to drive.
4)Infiniit Q50/Lexus IS for your Japanese rivals, G70/Stinger for Korean, Ct5 and Tesla model 3 for American, Mercedes C-Class, BMW 3-Series, Audi A4 for German rivals
5)hmmm the door cards can be better, the upper trim feels a bit cheaper wished it was leather.

Quote:
Interesting you don't like their interiors, cause I actually quite like them except for the stupid button shifter. Doesn't save any space(I feel it actually uses more space) and is not intuitive to a first time user (I feel the same way for BMW's bouncing stick too).
I get these cars for a week but even within the week the shifter is easy to get used to for owners it should be muscle memory in a few weeks.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #28
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,556 Times in 1,523 Posts
Curious to know if the 10spd auto is better than the last gen ZF9. I know a few people who really didn't like the last gen's ZF9 and was the ultimate reason they didn't purchase. I'm curious how the TLX Type S compares to the Q50 Red Sport 400. HP wise ofc no comparison, but apparently the Q50 Red Sport 400 doesn't even drive that nice.
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #29
Media Officer / MOD

Hard to say without driving them back to back but the 9-speed had its fair share of issues.

As for the type S, we'll have to wait.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #30
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,567 Times in 4,333 Posts
Quote:
Ergonomics aside, I've always felt that Acura interiors felt cheap compared to their rivals.

For example, I don't care for their seat fabrics or their plastics. Plastic toys from Fisher Price and Lego feel like a premium product in comparison. They tend not to age very well at all. unless this has changed, this has always been Acura's major downfall for me to consider them a top contender when car shopping. Only exception is NSX, but who are we kidding here.

The last time I went car shopping was back I think in 2011 or 2012 when I had considered a TSX. I walked on the purchase as it boiled down to the interior bothering me so much.

@Aznboi128 - Thanks for that. Was looking at the CT5-V online today. Seems neat. Interesting price point. Lexus (new) would only leave the ES as a feasible option; The new IS is worth considering but not on the list now. $90K for a GS opens up the door for other makes/models (Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio is an interesting choice) but I'm not part of the 1% Revscene Elite who owns a $2.5M house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:39 PM   #31
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,747 Times in 905 Posts
^^ buy a model 3 then save the gas maintenance money for the $2.5m house? As a dd it's really hard to justify buying a gas car now. Now that regular is pretty much back at $1.4 and no one will want this 5 years down the road when you want to get rid of it.
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #32

Quote:
Ergonomics aside, I've always felt that Acura interiors felt cheap compared to their rivals.

For example, I don't care for their seat fabrics or their plastics. Plastic toys from Fisher Price and Lego feel like a premium product in comparison. They tend not to age very well at all. unless this has changed, this has always been Acura's major downfall for me to consider them a top contender when car shopping. Only exception is NSX, but who are we kidding here.

The last time I went car shopping was back I think in 2011 or 2012 when I had considered a TSX. I walked on the purchase as it boiled down to the interior bothering me so much.

@Aznboi128 - Thanks for that. Was looking at the CT5-V online today. Seems neat. Interesting price point. Lexus (new) would only leave the ES as a feasible option; The new IS is worth considering but not on the list now. $90K for a GS opens up the door for other makes/models (Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio is an interesting choice) but I'm not part of the 1% Revscene Elite who owns a $2.5M house.
I drove a friend's beak TL from Vancouver to Penticton and it was nice. Again it was the transmission that bugged me but it's quite an old design nowadays so you can't compare it to the current industry standard in a ZF8. Plus I'm a manual guy so most automatics don't do it for me (I was unhappy with the DCT in my F56 Mini as well).

Acura always felt like a well put together Japanese car. You get in and you know right away it's Japanese and not a Euro. The latest Toyotas design all seem quite American in comparison where everything is chunky.

I like how the new IS looks, I don't like how it's a rehashed last gen car which is already 8 years old. Granted, we test drove the IS350 RWD F Sport when it came out in 2013 and it was easily the best drive out of Audi/BMW/MB. But that infotainment touchpad thing..... Why is the IS out of contention? The ES is quite far away from what the IS is, and much more grandpa feeling than the TLX.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Size wise, the IS would be smaller than the Corolla iM I'm coming from. The ES being grandpa feeling is for consideration because it's grandpa. I don't live in Vancouver anymore and the roads here in Toronto are atrocious. The Porsche will continue to serve its purpose as a fun car.

That being said, the Corolla can stick around for a while as I don't need to replace it. It's slow, reliable, somewhat fun, but slow. Did I mention that it's slow? Any how, a new car is just a want. There are time where a higher output car is sometimes required to get in and out of lane changes in Toronto because everyone makes a left turn like the Asian lady in Family Guy at 120km/h+
Quote:
Old 02-08-2021, 09:14 PM   #34

Quote:

For example, I don't care for their seat fabrics or their plastics. Plastic toys from Fisher Price and Lego feel like a premium product in comparison. They tend not to age very well at all. unless this has changed, this has always been Acura's major downfall for me to consider them a top contender when car shopping.
I still think my civic leather and interior quality is better than the comparable ILX of the same gen LOL.

Quote:
@Aznboi128 - Thanks for that. Was looking at the CT5-V online today. Seems neat. Interesting price point
All in CT5-V Blackwing is 110K.. but it beats the competition with the MANUAL TRANSMISSION. I would never consider an American car (tho I did consider CTS-V/ATS-V in my thread), but it comes in MANUAL. V8. SEDAN. 668HP. + GM/Cadillac SuperCruise
Old 02-09-2021, 05:32 AM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,184 Times in 967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Curious to know if the 10spd auto is better than the last gen ZF9. I know a few people who really didn't like the last gen's ZF9 and was the ultimate reason they didn't purchase. I'm curious how the TLX Type S compares to the Q50 Red Sport 400. HP wise ofc no comparison, but apparently the Q50 Red Sport 400 doesn't even drive that nice.
The 10 speed is a big improvement over the ZF9 - definitely crisper and faster shifts. In the RDX the tuning is so-so though but I found the TLX tuning to be much improved. It's not a DCT or a ZF8 but in the TLX (in my short drive) it was plenty good enough.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #36
Media Officer / MOD

Yea, the CT5-v is 50k exactly the same price as the a-spec that I have. The CT5-v has much more power, better suspension and a whole bunch more. Cadillac has one of the price per performance ratios but would you buy it? that's a whole other question.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:39 AM   #37
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Cadillac has one of the price per performance ratios but would you buy it? that's a whole other question.
I think we all know the answer.
Quote:
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 AM   #38
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Yea, the CT5-v is 50k exactly the same price as the a-spec that I have. The CT5-v has much more power, better suspension and a whole bunch more. Cadillac has one of the price per performance ratios but would you buy it? that's a whole other question.
Would be surprised if the Caddy makes it to 100k with no issues.
ijaz_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:00 AM   #39

Quote:
Size wise, the IS would be smaller than the Corolla iM I'm coming from. The ES being grandpa feeling is for consideration because it's grandpa. I don't live in Vancouver anymore and the roads here in Toronto are atrocious. The Porsche will continue to serve its purpose as a fun car.

That being said, the Corolla can stick around for a while as I don't need to replace it. It's slow, reliable, somewhat fun, but slow. Did I mention that it's slow? Any how, a new car is just a want. There are time where a higher output car is sometimes required to get in and out of lane changes in Toronto because everyone makes a left turn like the Asian lady in Family Guy at 120km/h+
Didn't know you were in Toronto.

This guy, who has a Porsche as a fun car, is ribbing people for 250k income

I hate to say it, but get a SUV. And I know the iM is slooooooow. I drove one in Australia on the Great Ocean Road. MIL also has one. It's slooooooow.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:32 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijaz_97 View Post
Would be surprised if the Caddy makes it to 100k with no issues.
I mean it gets the Z06/ZL1's 6.2L SC V8, LT4 motor, so I think those are relatively reliable.
Old 02-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #41
RS Veteran

Quote:
Didn't know you were in Toronto.

This guy, who has a Porsche as a fun car, is ribbing people for 250k income

I hate to say it, but get a SUV. And I know the iM is slooooooow. I drove one in Australia on the Great Ocean Road. MIL also has one. It's slooooooow.
Slow is okay in the city. 0 - 60 times don't matter when you're stuck on the Gardiner Expressway or on King Street during rush hour. I've since moved out of Toronto proper and the iM is still ok, except for highway driving where torque is really appreciated when getting on and off highways.

Porsche is nothing special; Just a Boxster S. Slow and cheap compared to Honda Civics in this day and age.
Quote:
Old 02-11-2021, 04:10 PM   #42
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
... said nobody ever.

RIP Burnt Orange Metallic. Along with "Phoenix Gold" on the E46 M3, and the similar C6Z orange color.

-Mark

real talk I love phoenix gold on m3's and austin yellow. Come at me bruh.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #43
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,826 Times in 3,906 Posts
i then present you imola orange pearl

twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:25 AM   #44
RS Veteran

Bump

Hoping to keep this thread alive and for more reviews from !Aznboi128 (no pressure!)

The TLX is still on my list of candidates. I'm drooling for the Type S but unsure of its release date. I may try to book an appointment with Lexus to see the IS and the ES this weekend and hoping to see the Alfa Romeo Giulia today. Size wise, I understand the TLX and Giulia should be more or less the same.

Depreciation wise, the Alfa is going to take a huge hit. I'm more comfortable with Acura and Lexus being able to hold their value better. A big "No" to the Genesis as they are worth nothing and poor resale.
Quote:
Old 04-05-2021, 03:04 PM   #45
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,203 Times in 372 Posts
Quote:
Size wise, I understand the TLX and Giulia should be more or less the same.

Depreciation wise, the Alfa is going to take a huge hit. I'm more comfortable with Acura and Lexus being able to hold their value better. A big "No" to the Genesis as they are worth nothing and poor resale.
That would be kind of sad. The Giulia I looked at had a puny trunk (smaller than IS) and back seat.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2021, 03:20 PM   #46
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
The new TLX is big outside but really small inside. It's bizarre IMO and takes away an advantage for Acura from before. 355hp for a Type-S is also underwhelming.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2021, 03:35 PM   #47
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
The new TLX is big outside but really small inside. It's bizarre IMO and takes away an advantage for Acura from before. 355hp for a Type-S is also underwhelming.
You nailed it on the head.

Went to see the TLX A-Spec and the Lexus IS300/350 and ES250/350. The TLX is just bizarre. It still tries to brand itself as premium but the materials and fit and finish don't compare to Lexus in any way. And yes, the TLX looks big on the outside, but inside...it was like WTF?

Also went to see the Giulia today. Size wise (interior) it looks and felt almost like an IS300/350. While it drove nicely, it wasn't that much better than the Lexus. The trunk on the Giulia was awful. Alfa Romeo is a no go for me. Being a self admitted Alfa Romeo fan boy (and having once owned one) the Alfa will have to wait another day.
Quote:

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-05-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #48
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
I went and put a deposit down on an IS500 today at JP Lexus. Barring any crazy pricing mismatches or options not being there that I really want (360 cam, ML Audio) I see that as my next car.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2021, 09:36 PM   #49
RS Veteran

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Quote:
Old 04-06-2021, 01:19 AM   #50
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
real talk I love phoenix gold on m3's and austin yellow. Come at me bruh.
I'm just not a fan of austin yellow. Might grow on me though
double0seven is offline   Reply With Quote