REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 01-30-2024, 04:08 PM   #1026
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,529 Times in 4,913 Posts
My question is.......... would a $30.00 rice cooker do justice to high end rice?

Is it the cooker or is it the rice? Can some people even tell the difference between a highly rated grain of rice? Do they even care?

Ask a Klingon if live Gagh is better than freeze dried ones or ones from a replicator.....

I never understood coffee aficionados, but I can relate when it comes to rice. I just can't afford the really, really good stuff. Like I mentioned previously in some unrelated thread, a family friend's mother who was a whiz at making rice (pot over fire). Can take the worse type of rice and make it gorgeous. Looks and tastes heavenly. I can't imagine what a really good rice would be like in the hands of a gifted cook.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 01-30-2024 at 04:37 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 05:21 PM   #1027
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,614 Times in 4,348 Posts
So I have a higher end Tiger rice cooker that makes decent rice and has a bunch of functions like steam food etc. But as a joke, we bought As Seen On TV's "Perfect Cooker" and it makes amazing rice. Dare I say better than the Tiger. $15 on sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:05 PM   #1028
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 8,861 Times in 3,197 Posts
yo how fucking asian do we have to be when we start debating rice cookers!? i dont see white people debating bread machines.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 08:22 PM   #1029
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,198 Times in 974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The Cuckoo from Costco that I picked up based on the suggestions from you guys here a few months back has been great. My wife said to thank you guys for convincing me to get a proper one and not another super cheap basic one lol.
Same - it's been great especially for $89 (or $99 I think). I would have liked a Zojirushi just so I could have a Zojirishi but I have lots of dumb shit I want to spend money on.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 09:44 PM   #1030
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,614 Times in 4,348 Posts
Quote:
yo how fucking asian do we have to be when we start debating rice cookers!? i dont see white people debating bread machines.
Wow, that's just racist.
Quote:
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 10:05 PM   #1031
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,792 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
You're just not on the right forums, there are 100% housewife debates on bread machines lol.
fml
roastpuff is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 11:01 PM   #1032
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,248 Times in 1,416 Posts
We have a discussion about rice cookers once every 6 months
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2024, 11:27 PM   #1033
RabidMod

Thanked 1,121 Times in 410 Posts
Quote:
You're probably only saying this because you've never had rice out of a cheap rice cooker.

I bought a $30 Black and Decker once. "What a bargain. What could be the difference?" I'll never forget that outcome. Mush on the outside, raw on the inside. Tasted like a melted duffel bag. Returned it right away for a Zojirushi.

I feel bad for the white people who buy these things and don't know any better. "I... I guess that's just what rice tastes like."
Old 01-31-2024, 12:45 AM   #1034
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,760 Times in 1,185 Posts
The way I see the main difference with normal and higher-end rice cooker is the ability to handle different type of grains to perfection.

My Zoji was the top of the line when I got it. And all I could remember was that when we are cooking brown rice, it no longer came out mushy with an earthy flavor. This made a special difference when my wife got diagnosed with gestational diabetes during her pregnancy and we switched to 100% brown rice (well, about 80%, with some "healthy" grains mixed into, but 0 white) instead of the 50/50 brown/white mix we used normally. I didn't think of it much as we were already running the Zoji for a while already back then. But F&F made comments on how good our brown rice was when they came over for dinner during that time and asked us what's our secret.

And the geek inside me had to try it out. I cooked the same thing with the Zoji and another with an old crappy one that we kept (it was smaller, a 6cup unit, so good to carry out if we went on longer road trips vs. the 10cup zoji). And my god... what a difference. The 0 white rice mix was all earthy like the way I remembered vs. the Zoji that one wouldn't be able to taste much difference to white rice if you are blindfolded.

Come to think of it... the Zoji is way over 10yrs old as my older son is over 10 and we were already using it for a year or two when wife was pregnant with him.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:51 AM   #1035

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
You're probably only saying this because you've never had rice out of a cheap rice cooker.

I bought a $30 Black and Decker once. "What a bargain. What could be the difference?" I'll never forget that outcome. Mush on the outside, raw on the inside. Tasted like a melted duffel bag. Returned it right away for a Zojirushi.

I feel bad for the white people who buy these things and don't know any better. "I... I guess that's just what rice tastes like."
Reminds me of a story.

So back in college I was dating this Scottish chick. She decided to cook me an authentic Chinese meal. She read some cooking book or watched yan can cook so can white people or some other bs.

I show up at her house excited as usually she makes some pretty decent grub. I’m not a huge critic of food and I find most things quite delicious as my pallet is about as sophisticated as spam and eggs.

She made sweet and sour pork with rice and …”egg rolls”

I was like awwww how sweet of her. Thats Chinese comfort food.

The poor girl bought uncle Ben’s rice. Cooked it in a metal pot and the inside was still raw while the outside was slightly burnt. She didn’t fry pork but instead just took cubes of pork shoulder, added salt and then dumped half a bottle of sweet and sour sauce on it while putting it in the oven.

The pork wasn’t that that horrible, although it did have this terrible porky smell due to the relatively cheap cut of pork.

When we sat down I was watching her eat it and she barely touched the rice or the pork. We both gobbled down those stupid American egg rolls (it’s spring rolls you dumb yanks !!’) and I complimented her on a successful meal. She was quite embarrassed and said we should go out for Chinese instead.

What a lovely girl, I miss her.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 05:18 AM   #1036
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,049 Times in 2,082 Posts
White guy checking in.

My current rice cooker sucks. I’m taking notes.

I do not own a bread machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:43 AM   #1037
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,359 Times in 977 Posts
Threw away rice cooker since we were family of 4 and mom stopped eating rice and dad wanted to cut carbs. Just not possible to cook 1 cup of rice to what used to be a rice cooker for 8 people. Started to use clay pots since 2007.

Now wife and I was both using clay pots ... 2 drawbacks 1) you have to stand by it for 15 minutes for it to boil so it won't stick 2) you're limited to rice to make based on the pot.

It does make a heck of an awesome Clay Pot Rice (煲仔飯) when you throw in the chinese sausage with crispy crust on the bottom.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 06:07 AM   #1038

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
White guy checking in.

My current rice cooker sucks. I’m taking notes.

I do not own a bread machine.
mr wax enjoys pho, has a rice cooker and not a bread machine!?
Hondaracer might need to have a conversation with you w/ tikki torches
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 06:38 AM   #1039
RabidMod

Thanked 1,121 Times in 410 Posts
Shieeet, Zojirushi makes bread machines!
https://shop.zojirushi.com/collections/breadmakers

It's like $400 though

And then there's a Frigidaire for 1/5 the price. Hmmmm...
Old 01-31-2024, 06:54 AM   #1040

that piece of shit better make Japanese egg bread, otherwise, it needs to die in a fire.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:21 AM   #1041
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,472 Times in 997 Posts
im asian and i cook rice out of an instant pot.

i use the same recipe for all kinds of rice, 1:1 rice to water, 7m on high, natural release. i never use the rice button on it, turns out like crap.

works fine in my opinion, don't need a $500 rice cooker.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:48 AM   #1042
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,590 Times in 4,304 Posts
Quote:
I'm the gwailou questioning you crazy asains about your $500.00 rice cookers when a $30.00 one cooks rice just the same. yes expensive ones can hold 15 cups, have all of these different options (no one uses) but it does the same job as the cheap ones. I honestly think its the name brand thing like having to have the newest iPhone or Samsung that comes out.
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:50 AM   #1043
In RS I Trust

Quote:
Reminds me of a story.

So back in college I was dating this Scottish chick. She decided to cook me an authentic Chinese meal. She read some cooking book or watched yan can cook so can white people or some other bs.

I show up at her house excited as usually she makes some pretty decent grub. I’m not a huge critic of food and I find most things quite delicious as my pallet is about as sophisticated as spam and eggs.

She made sweet and sour pork with rice and …”egg rolls”

I was like awwww how sweet of her. Thats Chinese comfort food.

The poor girl bought uncle Ben’s rice. Cooked it in a metal pot and the inside was still raw while the outside was slightly burnt. She didn’t fry pork but instead just took cubes of pork shoulder, added salt and then dumped half a bottle of sweet and sour sauce on it while putting it in the oven.

The pork wasn’t that that horrible, although it did have this terrible porky smell due to the relatively cheap cut of pork.

When we sat down I was watching her eat it and she barely touched the rice or the pork. We both gobbled down those stupid American egg rolls (it’s spring rolls you dumb yanks !!’) and I complimented her on a successful meal. She was quite embarrassed and said we should go out for Chinese instead.

What a lovely girl, I miss her.
that right here is how all scottish food is and why it's some of the worst food on the planet (only behind Icelandic food lol)
Old 01-31-2024, 07:52 AM   #1044

I don’t get it either. I have a Costco rice cooker called cuckoo or kookoo or some stupid ass name. It works.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:55 AM   #1045
In RS I Trust

exactly, I actually bought an ex a $200.00 rice cooker a number of years ago. I'm all down for the fancy expensive kitchen gadgets so was pretty excited getting her a top quality one. Like I said it was way too big since our white asses didn't need 10 cups of rice and it came out the same as cheap ones.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:55 AM   #1046
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,426 Times in 5,686 Posts
It’s probably 50% of people can tell the difference, 50% of people buy X rice cooker to save face for when friends or relatives come over. Your house is filled with garbage but at least ya got the good rice cooker!
Old 01-31-2024, 07:56 AM   #1047
In RS I Trust

Quote:
We don't debate bread machines we are all about debating BBQ's and what is better charcoal or propane. Now smokers that is a whole different ball game and we will throw down if it gets too heated.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:57 AM   #1048

This girl at work has a hello kitty edition zoji rice cooker. I’m like bitch you don’t even know how to scramble eggs. Why you buy that overpriced garbage ?

She’s like in case her mom comes over…
This post thanked by:
Old 01-31-2024, 07:58 AM   #1049
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,426 Times in 5,686 Posts
Bread is diminishing returns, especially if you have a decent bakery close by. I’ll gladly pay $8 for a nice sour dough VS making bread
Old 01-31-2024, 07:59 AM   #1050

Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
We don't debate bread machines we are all about debating BBQ's and what is better charcoal or propane. Now smokers that is a whole different ball game and we will throw down if it gets too heated.
Hey man you guys do you. Your bbqs are legit. I’ll take a 12h wood smoked brisket over Chinese food any day. Or that whole hog pit fired bbq I had in South Carolina. Omg…. I’ll wear a pointy hat and join rallies for that shit
This post thanked by: