REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   I fucked up but is it 100% my fault? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/717063-i-fucked-up-but-100%25-my-fault.html)

geeknerd 09-22-2020 08:38 PM

I fucked up but is it 100% my fault?

So I was trying to parallel park but I didn't realize the truck had a rear step bumper so I ended up 45degree reversing too early and drove a little bit into the edge of the step bar or whatever its called. I feel like its such a shit design that it should be illegal and it does look like its an after-market modification.

Unless I saw it and completely understood the design while approaching the parked truck, there is no way I can actually see that thing while im parking/reversing.

any insight?
https://imgur.com/ScGl9j4
https://imgur.com/wql6k2B

stewie 09-22-2020 08:48 PM

I'm going to guess that they'll say you're 100% at fault for hitting a parked car.
You must've really carved the turn early to do that.

Wish I could say something reaffirming but I don't think anything would help.

geeknerd 09-22-2020 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 9000255)
I'm going to guess that they'll say you're 100% at fault for hitting a parked car.
You must've really carved the turn early to do that.

Wish I could say something reaffirming but I don't think anything would help.

It was a really tight spot so I put my car was right beside the truck and I turned it just like icbc book teaches, when the center of my car is at the end of the other car but turns out it wasnt the actual end....

yeah i realize hitting a parked car is like hitting a building but that design is wtf and the fact taht its clearly an addon welded on, i can only wonder if there are some laws/regulations for that kind of stuff. on my way home i checked out all the trucks to see if there was something similar... nada.

6793026 09-22-2020 09:24 PM

step bar / handicap tail gate lift / bike rack... whatever it is... it did NOTHING wrong. It was stationary.

Just bad luck & lack of experience.

geeknerd 09-22-2020 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6793026 (Post 9000259)
step bar / handicap tail gate lift / bike rack... whatever it is... it did NOTHING wrong. It was stationary.

Just bad luck & lack of experience.

ok. was just wondering if there were any regulations against it kind of like rules against carrying lumber loads that stick out. Yeah lesson learned when parking behind truck/trailers. my first at-fault collision in my total 14 years of driving and its against a parked car...ffs.

twitchyzero 09-22-2020 11:25 PM

if you started turning half way the gouge wouldn't be near the rear tire

dont think any of the blame can be pinned on the box truck; remember even if someone was parked illegally and you hit them, they take 0% of the responsibility

anyways we all make parking mistakes, it just happens to be one you want to fix or rust could start

Ulic Qel-Droma 09-23-2020 12:04 AM

the only way it aint your fault is if you drove off and didnt report it as your fault.

if youre looking for compensation or to somehow fix for free without penalty, i don't think that will happen.

320icar 09-23-2020 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stewie (Post 9000255)

https://i.imgflip.com/snz9u.jpg

underscore 09-23-2020 07:01 AM

I would imagine you'd be told you had opportunity to see it when you drove past the spot before you started to back in.

SkunkWorks 09-23-2020 07:24 AM

Lol you came on RS for sympathy for an at fault crash...?

bcrdukes 09-23-2020 07:40 AM

GoFundMe.com/geeknerd

MG1 09-23-2020 08:00 AM

I feel for you, man.......... I really do.

Now that RS has given you all that touchy feely warm support. Find out how much it's going to cost you in the long run to fix it - going through ICBC or not.

If it's not that important to you, leave it. You know, battle scar. Gives the car some character. Trailer trash car, lol. OK, that wasn't nice. Dr. Bonnie Henry would not be happy with me. Be Kind, be kind, be.............. nuff said.

jackmeister 09-23-2020 08:15 AM

The step/tailgate/bumpers etc on trucks are pretty standard so I wouldn't think those are 'illegal modifications'. You usually buy a brand new truck off a lot with those installed.

If it had a louder tailpipe though... that would an instant VI lol

minoru_tanaka 09-23-2020 08:20 AM

Where do you get off thinking it's not 100% your fault? lol

Only stationary object you can hit and be compensated for is an open car door

geeknerd 09-23-2020 08:27 AM

yeah, you guys are right. i think i was just angry and embarrassed at myself for hitting a stationary object... damage looks deadly to my wallet since it bent the rear quarter panel right where the creases for the doors are...

Great68 09-23-2020 08:30 AM

The only thing that would make that illegal is if it was projecting beyond the sides of the truck body. It doesn't look like that's the case so, sorry, 100% your fault.

murd0c 09-23-2020 10:05 AM

What's the point of this post? You hit a parked vehicle its pretty obvious its 100% your fault LOL

Teriyaki 09-23-2020 10:12 AM

Yea, going to also add in that since you hit a stationary object you are 100% at fault regardless. Say a tank was parked there and you hit the tank. Even though it's not road legal, I'm pretty sure you'd still be at fault to the insurer.

TOS'd 09-23-2020 10:30 AM

Another 10/10 thread by Geeknerd, just like his last one: Is it fraud if i 'forge' documents that existed at one time and are true?

mikemhg 09-23-2020 11:54 AM

:lol

quasi 09-23-2020 12:16 PM

So I drove into my neighbours house (long story) but it was the illegal addition on the side of their house that I hit. My question is since they didn't get the proper permits is it their fault and would they be responsible for my injuries because my neck and back are sore AF?

MG1 09-23-2020 05:02 PM

This thread has the makings of another one of my favourite threads on RS. The cold pancake at iHop one, gulolol. Or the, "What is a breast pump,? one.

geeknerd 09-23-2020 10:21 PM

From MVA

"A bumper must not have a sharp or ragged edge and must not protrude beyond the side of the vehicle."

https://imgur.com/a/prf5QBW

I purposely took this picture at the time, aligned with the side of the vehicle for this exact reason that such a regulation/law might exist.

if you guys look at the damage, that few mm actually mattered in this case imo.

MG1 09-23-2020 10:55 PM

Well, it sounds like you have a reason to take that evidence to ICBC. The protruding beyond the side of the vehicle is iffy, but the sharp or ragged edge of the bumper angle (no pun intended) might work.

The piece of rubber should have gone around the, "bumper."

Anyway, good luck.

BTW, is that in Chinatown? It looks like the kind of street in Chinatown.

geeknerd 09-23-2020 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG1 (Post 9000464)
Well, it sounds like you have a reason to take that evidence to ICBC. The protruding beyond the side of the vehicle is iffy, but the sharp or ragged edge of the bumper angle (no pun intended) might work.

The piece of rubber should have gone around the, "bumper."

Anyway, good luck.

BTW, is that in Chinatown? It looks like the kind of street in Chinatown.

good eye, yeah it is in chinatown, on pender before gore.