REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-20-2021, 11:41 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Vancouver is almost the super car capitol of the world, yet how many of them get tracked?

The f150 is the best selling vehicle ever. 95% of them will never see a trailer. Diesel trucks still exist for hauling, nothing is being lost by offering electric to the masses.

I did my hours walk at the oval in Ladner. Out of the countless trucks (all brands), only 5 had trailers. And remember Ladner is a mostly white area, near many farms, marina’s, near the landfill etc. Only 5 trailers out of the hundreds of trucks that passed. So maybe 1%?
Advertisement
Old 05-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #27
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,339 Times in 5,648 Posts
Yea like these 800+ Hp super/hyper cars being driven 30 feet between red lights on Broadway

But..but..your truck doesn’t have a trailer connected!!!

Lol
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 AM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
It’s no different than why it will be a generation or more before things like excavators, dump trucks etc. Will be EV if ever

The torque and power required is just too much. Big 300+ excavators are just screaming when you’re really into the mess digging hard pan, moving rocks etc. There’s no way in hell you could create a machine that made any sort of sense or had any long term efficacy. Time is money in the construction industry and you can’t be swapping batteries or taking down time to charge.

Same goes for these electric semis etc. The fuel savings are being negated by the downtime you lose in charging
For electric semis it depends on the location and route.

I have a family member who runs a large trucking company that hauls lumber from the Island to the mainland and an electric semi would be perfect.

One of my customers drives for a wholesaler that we use. His job is to pick up loads from the dock at night and take them to the warehouse. Perfect for an electric truck.

Rumor is Walmart has ordered 4 Tesla semis for the Island to test with. Driving from a warehouse to Walmart stores across the the Island again would be perfect for an electric truck.

Vancouver docks would also be another great place to use electric trucks.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:58 AM   #29

Thanked 8,923 Times in 3,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I know lots of people who keep their trailer or boat stored at a yard during the months they don't use it because they don't want it taking up space at their house, of they have nowhere to keep it at their townhouse etc.

Owning a truck doesn't necessarily mean using it as one year round.
Okay? So those guys won't buy a first gen electric F150 then. Shitloads of people do nothing but commute in their vehicles by themselves, this'll work just fine for them.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,765 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I think if this takes out the people who pavement pound trucks around town for image or the occasional dump run that's great.

But I think we're underestimating the number of those that have the use-case for actual long distance truck use, whether they truly need it, or just simply want that capability it on tap.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:29 PM   #31
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,187 Times in 360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
Can you elaborate on what's outdated about them? I understand testing takes time and by the time most vehicles are for sale for the first year, they are already outdated in terms the latest tech available.
A few of my old coworkers went to go work for Ford.... can't say my picture is complete but here's what I've gathered.

When I say obsolete, it's mostly relating to the batteries: layout, placement, structure, management, etc.

The MachE and Transit E are both on GE2.
Cells are purchased from LG and assembled in house.
The low production numbers for MachE (50k) is due to cell supply limitations.
Let's call this 1st gen battery architecture.

The F150 Lightning is on its own bespoke architecture with SK Cells.
SK is in legal hot water right now.

New EV Edge/Nautilus are going to be on another new architecture with cells from a diff supplier.

All three of these are on an old battery architecture already... new models after MY23 will have a new battery architecture (4th gen).

Ford's spent a TON of money to be able to iterate quickly and try to catch up (i.e. why Wall Street has been fairly dissatisfied with financial results, these long bets take a while to pan out).

Use of VW MEB and Rivian's architecture was mostly short term stuff to try to appease Wall Street while they were working on Mach E/F150 Lightning internally. Rivian will likely be an EV Navigator, MEB will likely be used for EU models.

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2021, 12:41 PM   #32

At the end of the day these are basically city trucks
Old 05-20-2021, 12:46 PM   #33
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
This vehicle has to be the winner for underutilized vehicle per dollar award. F150 is not even close.
G63 AMG Wagon at north of $250K. Lots of them in Richmond picking up kids from school.

whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:09 PM   #34

G wagon may take the winner for all time in fact lol
Old 05-20-2021, 01:34 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
I think Ford whos been making trucks longer than anyone else, knows their target demo

it’s seen rigorous testing:

this is not some tech company winging it, there will of course be limitations as with any gen 1 product and you gotta start somewhere (very impressive feature set for the price) but you’d be stupid not to cash in on the hype and demand spurred from the cyber truck
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2021, 01:41 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Municipalities better step up their charging infrastructure.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #37
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
^ Agree, the charging network is a huge dealbreaker. Thus why Tesla still wins
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 05:23 PM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
I laugh at electric truck haters. Not for you? Then don't buy it. The ridgeline came out and it's half a truck at best, no one's forcing you to buy that either, yet they still have sales.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #39
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
american rednecks running their diesel engines rich have left the chat

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 11:57 PM   #40
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,299 Times in 2,511 Posts
Interestingly, I had some sort of new-ish looking Ford truck rolling up right behind me while I was waiting at a traffic light, and the thought of it (the truck) not stopping and steamrolling over my itty bitty sub-2400 lbs shxtbox flash through my mind. The F150 Lightning is a freaking 6500 lbs beast. I better make sure I don't ever get into an accident with one of them. (Or for that matter, with any modern truck since I think a regular ICE F150 is still in the 5000 lbs range.)
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:55 AM   #41
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
would there be opportunities for canadians to buy from south of the border and importing it back if the markup in canada doesn't make sense?

will ford manufacture them in the US?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:16 AM   #42
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

How much shrinkage will it have in the cold? Speaking about the range of course.
toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 07:31 AM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Interestingly, I had some sort of new-ish looking Ford truck rolling up right behind me while I was waiting at a traffic light, and the thought of it (the truck) not stopping and steamrolling over my itty bitty sub-2400 lbs shxtbox flash through my mind. The F150 Lightning is a freaking 6500 lbs beast. I better make sure I don't ever get into an accident with one of them. (Or for that matter, with any modern truck since I think a regular ICE F150 is still in the 5000 lbs range.)
When I had my F150 I got rear ended at a light by a car. I felt it but wasn't that terrible no injuries for me, damage to my truck was the bumper, it got bent upward a little as the car went into and under. The car, complete write off, entire front end torqued, hood bend like a V higher than the roof of the car and fenders pushed into the doors. I couldn't believe the damage to this car compared to my truck.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 10:25 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
would there be opportunities for canadians to buy from south of the border and importing it back if the markup in canada doesn't make sense?

will ford manufacture them in the US?
Made in Michigan. All trucks sold in the US are made in the US because of the chicken tax.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax
Quote:
The Chicken Tax is a 25 percent tariff on light trucks (and originally on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy) imposed in 1964 by the United States under President Lyndon B. Johnson in response to tariffs placed by France and West Germany on importation of U.S. chicken.[1] The period from 1961–1964[2] of tensions and negotiations surrounding the issue was known as the "Chicken War", taking place at the height of Cold War politics.[3]

Eventually, the tariffs on potato starch, dextrin, and brandy were lifted,[4] but since 1964 this form of protectionism has remained in place to give US domestic automakers an advantage over competition (e.g., from Japan, Turkey, Australia, South Africa, Brazil, Argentina, China, and Thailand).[5] Though concern remains about its repeal,[6][7] a 2003 Cato Institute study called the tariff "a policy in search of a rationale."[4]

As an unintended consequence, several importers of light trucks have circumvented the tariff via loopholes, known as tariff engineering. For example, Ford, which was one of the main beneficiaries of the tax, also evaded it by manufacturing first-generation Transit Connect light trucks for the US market in Turkey; these Transits were fitted-out as passenger vehicles, which allowed Ford to evade the Chicken tax when the vehicles passed customs in the US. The Transits were stripped pre-sale of their rear seats and seatbelts, at a Ford warehouse near Baltimore.[1] Similarly, to import cargo vans built in Germany, Mercedes disassembled fully-completed vehicles and shipped the components to "a small kit assembly building" in South Carolina, where they were reassembled.[8] The resulting vehicles emerged as locally manufactured, free from the tariff.
made at this plant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_River_Rouge_Complex
Quote:
The Ford River Rouge Complex (commonly known as the Rouge Complex, River Rouge, or The Rouge) is a Ford Motor Company automobile factory complex located in Dearborn, Michigan, along the River Rouge, upstream from its confluence with the Detroit River at Zug Island. Construction began in 1917, and when it was completed in 1928, it was the largest integrated factory in the world, surpassing Buick City, built in 1904.

It inspired the Île Seguin Renault factory in 1920,[3] the GAZ factory built in the 1930s in the Soviet Union, as well as the later Hyundai factory complex in Ulsan, South Korea, which was developed beginning in the late 1960s. Designed by Albert Kahn, River Rouge was designated as a National Historic Landmark District in 1978 for its architecture and historical importance to the industry and economy of the United States.[4]
Old 05-22-2021, 12:40 PM   #45
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,814 Times in 2,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
How much shrinkage will it have in the cold? Speaking about the range of course.
no idea but...

Spoiler!

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:43 PM   #46

That 300 mile range is a EPA rating with 1000 pounds in the back and it was a plug for 240 volt.

Old 05-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #47
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
When I had my F150 I got rear ended at a light by a car. I felt it but wasn't that terrible no injuries for me, damage to my truck was the bumper, it got bent upward a little as the car went into and under. The car, complete write off, entire front end torqued, hood bend like a V higher than the roof of the car and fenders pushed into the doors. I couldn't believe the damage to this car compared to my truck.
It's called the crumple zone for a reason
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: