REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-31-2021, 11:09 AM   #1
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
"Selfish" man turns down being a godparent

https://vancouversun.com/news/world/...he-fine-print/

Quote:
A man is being labeled “selfish” for refusing to become the godfather of his best friend’s newborn after being handed a legally binding contract filled with “ridiculous demands.”

The anonymous man said he and his wife met a couple almost nine years ago and formed a bond. So when he was asked to become the godfather, he said it made sense and he was “honored” to accept. That was until the friend surprised him with a legal contract stuffed in an envelope. While the man thought that was a “bit overboard,” he decided to give it a read.

The contract started out reasonably enough, said the man, with requests to visit “every” Catholic event for the child, from christening, confession and confirmation. Yet it also included that he should convert to Catholicism and gift the child, referred to as ‘Jane,’ $30,000 over 18 years.

In the post made on Reddit, the man said the couple had no family of their own and that he and his wife were reminded by the friend that he’s “the only family they got.” The friend’s wife and his are both from the Philippines and talked often. The man felt obligated to accept being godfather, at least for a little while.

As the man describes, the request soon caused a rift: “The husband asked me if I could be Jane’s godfather… I was honored. My friend was thrilled and the next day he dropped off an envelope with some papers in it.”

“After he left I looked and it was a legal contract that I needed to sign in order to be the godfather. Obviously I thought it was a bit overboard but gave it a read anyways. It has many things I MUST do as a godfather.Such as I must go to every catholic event in which Jane attends, such as christening, confession, confirmation…etc. Which I know are normal events for a Catholic child’s life.”

“Then we get into ridiculous things. I have to consider ‘becoming Catholic’. I must give a gift of at least $500 for each of these events. And on birthdays/Christmas, gifts must be cash only and over $250. I am expected to save at least $25,000 (over Jane’s 18 years) and set it aside for Jane’s future college tuition. Her parents will provide the rest. Seriously?!?

“The list goes on to include various things such as being willing to cancel any plans I have if they need me to watch Jane or if they go on vacation (apparently Jane can’t go?). Many of the other things on the list were silly or not a big deal (like spending time with her once a week).”

The man said he told his friend there was “no way” he would agree to those demands, which caused the friend to lash out.

The friend “essentially told me he thought I was a ‘good guy”’but it was apparent I was selfish. He has since blocked my number and my email. His wife has too. Mind you his wife and mine talked nearly every day,” he explained.

“Since he ended things, I shredded the papers he gave me and left them in a bag and put it in his mailbox for him … telling him it was a shame he ruined a friendship over ridiculous demands. I told him I forgive him regardless.”
Lucky for this guy that he was informed what the parents were expecting. Glad he got out of that clusterfuck.

Is this a Filipino-Catholic thing or does this happen with Catholics in general? I know they have some weird traditions.
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
a forum post about a news article written about a reddit post...

jesus the vancouver sun has gone to shit. i guess the merger with the province isnt helping the cause.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 11:29 AM   #3
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I wish I saved the email, I received an email years ago from my friends wife. They were in the process of doing their wills and at the time they had a 1 year old son. She didn't really have any family and they wanted my wife and I to be the guardians of their son should anything happen to them.

Like this guys contract it wasn't that simple. She was like, we don't want his life interrupted so you would move into our house so he could continue to go to school with as little interruption as possible. There was a ton of other conditions as well I can't even remember them but keep in mind my wife and I own our own house, we have our own child lol.

I was so blown away I'm like how do I say fuck off not interested without insulting them? Eventually I was just like sorry, we can't.

Didn't affect our relationship, he's still one of my best friends and honestly that was all his batshit cray cray wife not him 100%.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
It's extremely common with Filipinos. Often times there will be a dozen "god parents".

My friend got looped into that crap with her sister in law. I told her to say no, but she accepted to be one of the god parents. I don't think there was any contract or anything, but there is definitely an expectation to throw some $$$.

Fuck that
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:47 AM   #5

Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
https://vancouversun.com/news/world/...he-fine-print/

Is this a Filipino-Catholic thing or does this happen with Catholics in general? I know they have some weird traditions.
Definately not a general thing, really depends on the group and how devout they are.

I was raised Catholic (although not really practicing since I became an adult), I always thought of godparents as simply a ceremonial thing. My godmother is my mom's sister who I do actually see all the time because she lives on the island. My godfather was my dad's best friend who moved with his family to Edmonton when I was young and I've only ever seen him a handful of times.

For my kid we just made my sister his godmother and my wife's brother his godfather. Easy peasy. There was no "contracts" or "strings" beyond "Show up and stand next to him through the ceremony"

I do seem to notice that Catholics from third world/developing countries tend to be a LOT more devout and traditional and the expectations of what a godparent "does" might be much higher and so my experience is quite different. We only really did the baptism thing to please our parents, I really couldn't care less about sending him to sunday school and all that bullshit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions

Last edited by Great68; 05-31-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Remember back in the day when all the AzNs were "Godbrothers" and "Godsisters" to each other?

Anyways if I was the guy I'd just strike through all the stuff I didn't like and make initialed changes to everything else like "Parents will compensate godparents at an hourly rate equivalent to the $xxx/hrs indexed to inflation of course.

Fight back with the same level of insanity.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,333 Times in 5,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Remember back in the day when all the AzNs were "Godbrothers" and "Godsisters" to each other?

Anyways if I was the guy I'd just strike through all the stuff I didn't like and make initialed changes to everything else like "Parents will compensate godparents at an hourly rate equivalent to the $xxx/hrs indexed to inflation of course.

Fight back with the same level of insanity.
Guaranteed a bunch of those “god parents” don’t even have a relationship with those families/kids anymore
Old 05-31-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,069 Times in 1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Like this guys contract it wasn't that simple. She was like, we don't want his life interrupted so you would move into our house so he could continue to go to school with as little interruption as possible. .
A free house eh?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Yeah god parent contracts can get intense from what I've seen/heard

I'm more surprised by the sun writing articles about reddit posts though
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:18 PM   #10

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
A free house eh?
More like care taker for said house till kids of age, even if it was a free house hard pass.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 07:17 PM   #11
in the butt

Thanked 3,220 Times in 1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post

jesus the vancouver sun has gone to shit. i guess the merger with the province isnt helping the cause.
Hence why i avoid reading any "news articles"
Add in reddit, and its an instant "close window" most of those reddit guys write juicy garbage just so they can get more karma (male version of instagram)

Originally Posted by ilovebacon
Does anyone have a pair of 25 pounds one-inch hole for sale at a reasonable price?

Originally Posted by Badhobz
I saw some bimbo live streaming her coffee order while standing in line. I wanted to slap the phone out of her hand and throw her into the bean grinder
donk. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:59 PM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
When "to the best of your ability" isn't enough and they hand you a contract, time to peace out.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #13
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
Quote:
More like care taker for said house till kids of age, even if it was a free house hard pass.
of age eh?
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,751 Times in 700 Posts
Quote:
Wait a sec. If it were a free house and all you would have to do is take care of them until they're 18?

Hmm... I still probably wouldn't do it, but I feel like a lot of people would.

I know people who take in foster kids just so they get the monthly benefit from the government. I suppose they actually care for these children, but the monthly benefit is quite good. If I recall correctly, one family was getting about $4k monthly for taking care of one foster child.
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:25 PM   #15
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,278 Times in 1,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post

To be fair, that's typical of modern journalism. Very pseudo, subjective and lazy. My favourite articles are where half the body is just a large handful of embedded tweets from randumbs.

As for the OP, I stopped reading once I saw Catholicism. Like we really need more assurance how 'awesome' that religion is
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote