REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
now who wants to do the brakes on my mgb
lol but also
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:54 AM   #27
RS Veteran

In a lot of cases, for something like a Civic, a dealer is not that much more expensive for an oil change so I would side with the guys who mentioned that in the thread.

Case in point, indy shops wanted $80 for parts and labour (or something like that) for our Sienna. Toyota dealerships were $70 plus they throw in a loaner vehicle if they have one. Shop around and get quotes.

Maybe I should let Skunkworks do maintenance on my cars.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #28
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

So I'm assuming that it's better to go to a honda dealership then if I drive a civic? Unless I get a cheaper deal at a toyota dealership for example?

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 03:55 PM   #29
RS Veteran

....wut?

This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2021, 04:28 PM   #30
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

So I'm assuming that it's better to go to a honda dealership then if I drive a civic? Unless I get a cheaper deal at a toyota dealership for example?
Honestly the prices are pretty much comparative whether private or dealership to do your so called oil change for your Civic. We aren't talking like hundreds of $$$ apart. I used to own a Civic for 8 years and I brought it to a smaller shop for the entire time I owed my Civic (mainly due to shop only charges me for things I absolutely need). E.g. Next time, might be a good idea to change your brakes because you only have X% of life left, like they will tell me "heads up", so I ain't blind sided with expenses. Dealership I personally found they like to recommend these huge service package intervals. Maybe it was just me, I always didn't like dealership unless it was for "warranty" work only where I had to go to them.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2021, 04:48 PM   #31
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro7r View Post
Honestly the prices are pretty much comparative whether private or dealership to do your so called oil change for your Civic. We aren't talking like hundreds of $$$ apart. I used to own a Civic for 8 years and I brought it to a smaller shop for the entire time I owed my Civic (mainly due to shop only charges me for things I absolutely need). E.g. Next time, might be a good idea to change your brakes because you only have X% of life left, like they will tell me "heads up", so I ain't blind sided with expenses. Dealership I personally found they like to recommend these huge service package intervals. Maybe it was just me, I always didn't like dealership unless it was for "warranty" work only where I had to go to them.
Interesting to hear a different perspective.

I guess whether dealership or shop theres good and bad just like what my signature says lol

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #32
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,171 Times in 961 Posts
Quote:
I think it comes down to the dealership. My family has been using Metrotown Mazda since the early 90's and have never felt pressured to do work on the car that wasn't necessary and they've also recommended that I skip things as well. I'm using Burrard Acura and they've been great so far - they screwed up once when they washed my car and damaged my ceramic coating and it was completely painless to get them to pay to fix it ($2k).

OTOH, Campus Acura in Victoria, while full of nice people always liked to recommend some extra work on my car whether it was dirty brake fluid (which had only been changed a year ago) or "fuel injector cleaner".
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2021, 06:13 PM   #33
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Also Honda brake pads have a lifetime warranty if installed by honda and the dealer does the manufacturer recommended services. Honda muffler, lifetime warranty with no maintenance requirements.

Maybe too late now, but loyal customers sometimes get goodwill out of warranty repairs. Say you get mad if traffic and smash your infotainment screen, or you spill your coffee on your seat heater switches. No way a private shop can take care of that.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-06-2021, 06:57 PM   #34
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZZ View Post
but loyal customers sometimes get goodwill out of warranty repairs. Say you get mad if traffic and smash your infotainment screen, or you spill your coffee on your seat heater switches. No way a private shop can take care of that.
*shrug*

Not all dealerships will provide goodwill either. And I've had my fair share of private shops going out of their way to help as well.

That said, I'm too OCD so prefer to work on my own stuff where I can. No one's going to take as good care of your car as yourself. Sadly no one on RS can vouch as my offers to assist with mechanical work on RS are 0/2
Old 06-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #35
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,162 Posts
With a Honda Civic, I would just go straight to the dealer, I believe it's only $100 for the oil change service.

If you had a Bimmer, oil change service ranges from $200 to $250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 12:12 PM   #36
Treasure Chest MOD

ok so this is the tally

shop 4
dealership 6
DIY 1

If I'm basing it off of votes alone it's dealership so far

Old 06-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #37
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,192 Times in 481 Posts
How much goodwill can he expect on a 9 year old car that he needs to first build up his database of being a loyal customer. So once the car is 15 years old he might get some goodwill?

In general, shop rates are higher at the dealership because they have more overhead and offer free swirls to your paint job. Materials cost just get passed onto the customer. So if you want OEM just tell the private shop that's what you want and they pass on any extra charge.

I'm out of touch with oil change prices. I think I've had a private shop do it once in the past 5 years and it was around $70 for parts and labour. Still $30 savings over the dealership.
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 02:46 PM   #38
RS Veteran

I vote for private modder

This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 03:04 PM   #39

Thanked 4,532 Times in 1,519 Posts
Iirc, your time is literally your money in your specific situation.

Rather than getting Skunkworks to do it for you, I think you spent more time, and thus money, thinking about it.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:04 PM   #40
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Iirc, your time is literally your money in your specific situation.

Rather than getting Skunkworks to do it for you, I think you spent more time, and thus money, thinking about it.

Lol I have the same issue deciding what to order at mcdonalds. The paradox of choice is real.

It will probably take me another week to consider all the options, do a cost analysis and then decide

This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 04:18 PM   #41
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I vote for private modder
but you suggested dealership a few posts back LOL feel like you’re messing with me here

This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #42

Quote:
It will probably take me another week to consider all the options, do a cost analysis and then decide
I can sympathize.. my 13 page choose a car thread LOL

This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Dealer. Usually oil change service is not only just the oil change. But also a top up of fluids, tire pressure check and adjusted, lights checked, and wash/vacuum.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 06:10 PM   #44
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
just keep it in vtec all day, then fill
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 07:30 PM   #45

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Quote:
Lol I have the same issue deciding what to order at mcdonalds. The paradox of choice is real.

If I were a girl, I'd walk out mid-way during our first date LOL. This ain't rocket science. The savings are minimal bro. You asked for cheap and good work (generally these don't really go in one sentence....)
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 07:32 PM   #46
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 4,003 Times in 1,908 Posts
Nominating this as the longest thread to one of the most simplest questions ... ever.

Summary - it's an oil change for a Civic.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 08:22 PM   #47
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
If I were a girl, I'd walk out mid-way during our first date LOL. This ain't rocket science. The savings are minimal bro. You asked for cheap and good work (generally these don't really go in one sentence....)
Lmao. I actually ended up getting my pops to do it. Found out he had some oil left in the bottle

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, will keep in mind for next time

Old 06-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #48

Did you at least hang out with pops and learn from him to do it yourself next time???????

Old 06-07-2021, 08:50 PM   #49
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Did you at least hang out with pops and learn from him to do it yourself next time???????

Yeah I actually did lol. Only reason is because I hear the ladies like a guy who can fix a car

This post thanked by:
Old 06-07-2021, 09:00 PM   #50
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Call a dealer this time around, maybe not everytime, but you might be pleasantly surprised if they have deals going on.

Edit: just saw its done.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote