REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-15-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
2021 BC Lions / CFL

Announced a day or so ago. League starts in August. It's so Canadian. Grey Cup (almost spelled it, Gray) has been around longer than the NFL championship (circa 1920). The Grey Cup was first awarded in 1909. Only Stanley Cup has been around longer (1893).

Anyway, I am a true BC Lions fanatic. They could lose every game in the season and I'd still be cheering them on.

I was so stoked when a family friend, Kato, got a job as water boy for the Leo's. Tragic that he passed away two years ago. 40 years with the team. Damn.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5199313/bc-lions-kato-dies/

https://www.bclions.com/2019/04/24/w...across-canada/

https://theprovince.com/sports/footb...er-kato-kasuya

I'm not sure who's going to be on the team this year. Doesn't matter, gotta love the CFL. Big hate on for Calgary Stampeders, lol.

punkwax, am I a fan or what?
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 06-15-2021 at 03:38 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2021, 03:18 AM   #2
MG1

August 6th can't come soon enough.

https://www.bclions.com/bc-lions-year-by-year-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/82nd_Grey_Cup

That was when the CFL expanded into the US.

My god, this is what happens when you let americans into the CFL.

Spoiler!

Last edited by MG1; 07-13-2021 at 03:33 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:44 AM   #3
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
^
I remember watching this live hahaha... and I was at the 1994 Final when we won... everyone ran on the field... I remember Tom Cochrane was the half-time show, he was super drunk and the acoustics are absolutely terrible at BC Place... some old dude on an oxygen tank behind us was hitting the chairs with his cane angrily the whole time he was singing and when he finished, the announcer was like "What did you guys think of THAT performance?" and the old man took his oxygen mask off and yelled as loud as he could "BLOODY AWFUL" hahahahaha

The Golden Knights should do an homage to this next time the Canucks are in town.

As an aside, I always thought that singer looked like the Lion from the original Wizard of Oz:

68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2021, 07:22 AM   #4
MG1

Passaglia's field goal to win the cup in '94 was epic. BC Place Stadium < Empire Stadium.

Old 07-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I was at that game as well, the thing I remember most is how terrible the halftime show was, Tom Cochrane and you couldn't even hear him because the acoustics were so terrible in BC place.

I used to be such a huge CFL fan, I've went to 6 Grey Cups in 3 different cities, when I was a kid we had season tickets for the Sask. Roughriders 3 rows behind the players. I can't remember the last time I watched a game, sadly it just doesn't peak my interest anymore. I guess if Sask was in the Grey Cup I might watch that but other than that I just can't get into it anymore. The younger generations even the ones who are interested in football and play it don't care about it all, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the league folds in my life time.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Lions tickets are completely out of the realm of reality in terms of pricing. If they don’t realize it this season this legitimately may be the end of the CFL as we know it.

Two years ago a friend and I went downtown anticipating buying tickets either at the gate or from scalpers, after seeing garbage seats were STARTiNG at $50 per ticket we looked for scalpers. Ended up buying two of the best seats in the house off a guy who wasn’t a scalper but just couldn’t go to the game. Face value on these were $120 a peice, we ground him down to $80 total for both

The on-field product was so bad we ended up leaving half way through the 3rd quarter without ever really paying attention to the game. I wouldn’t have paid $40 for those Seats if that had been face.

They have a huge problem with fans, you can now say they have effectively lost two generations of potential fans. I’m 35 and I don’t know a single person who cares about the lions. People my age now have kids who are early to mid-teens and you know they have absolutely no connection to the team. It’s going to be a tough, uphill battle for them to come back.

Imo I’m the type of Fan they need to try and at least get into the building, as I’ll buy 10 beers and spend $$$ but their marketing and price points are so out to lunch they are creating this incredibly isolated fan demographic
Old 07-14-2021, 09:19 AM   #7
Performance Moderator

^ I agree on many points, not all, I think the on-field product isn't as terrible as you make it sound... there's definitely a quality difference between the players in the CFL and NFL and there always will be, duh, if you're good enough you're probably in the NFL... even apractice squad player in the NFL makes 10x more than an average field position player in the CFL (not even exaggerating, minimum salary in the NFL is like $600-700k I think?) but it's enough of a spectacle to be fun if you go in with the right frame of mind. I think you're more of a Canucks fan person now, you're relatively well off and you will pay a lot but expect a full experience?... Lions always seemed more like something to bring people in from Surrey or Langley hahaha... much lower expectations than you

That said, the pricing, like you mentioned, is out of control............ I know there's been inflation, but when I was, shall we say, more "impressionable" you could go into Safeway and get endzone tickets for $9.99 or I think CFOX ones at 7-11 they were $9.93 or whatever a couple years there??? and for me and my friends that was a no-brainer... $10 and get someone's mom to drop us off or take the bus together, watch the game, run down to the railing every break to woo-boy at the cheerleaders, try to score beer off older people and eat fries and frosted malts... then run around town after if we could? Priceless. They should eat the ticket price and assume they'll make it up on food/bevs/merch instead and really go off on the in-game promotions. Might lose some in the short run but I think the crowds would come eventually.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2021, 09:22 AM   #8

In cities where they have nothing else is still remains fairly popular, I know Saskatchewan it's like all they have and everyone who lives there is a big fan. You get into cities where you have other choices like Vancouver, it's just not the same support.

I also agree with ticket prices, it's not popular enough to demand what they're asking which 100% results in a low amount of butts in seats which also hurts the product because when you have a lot of people the atmosphere is overall better and would IMO lead to more people coming back.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
This post thanked by:
Old 07-14-2021, 09:47 AM   #9
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
Sorry when I said on-field experience I should have really said just the in-house experience instead

Personally I don’t really care about football, CFL or NFL, I’d given it the college try to get into it snd just have never been able to. So with that said outside of going to a Canucks game where I’m legitimately invested in all aspects of the sport, I’m looking for the “event experience”

When I went to the aforementioned game, everything was so incredibly bla..like they have a guy in the aisle trying to start a chant unamplified, completely falling on deaf ears even though the on-field game/in house commentary is almost silent

They then had..break dancers..in the aisles as in-between play entertainment lol..it felt so incredibly bizarre..
Old 07-14-2021, 11:26 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,575 Times in 1,719 Posts
BC Lions are one of my clients.

Wonder if I should bring up those ticket price comments the next time I'm chatting with the staff

I doubt those prices will go down, the teams took a massive hit due to COVID in terms of lost revenue.
Get ready for an injury riddled season as well with all that time off.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 03:04 PM   #11
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I scored some Lions tickets a few times in the past... First time it really was so boring I just left. Second time was more competitive and fun, but still I wouldn't have wanted to pay full price for the ticket.

I think a big problem with the on-field product are the CFL rules. NFL has worked hard in the last 10-15 years to make the game more offense friendly and exciting, and their popularity has skyrocketed. It kind of screws defensive players in comparison, but the expectations are different for them (and they coach around it as much as they can).

CFL rules tend to tighten up the game. There's less room horizontally, only 3 downs... I do like allowing forward progress before snap.

They were in talks with Dwayne Johnson's XFL to work together to become an important farm system for the NFL, but they couldn't come to terms and XFL delayed their comeback another year.

I think pride may be keeping the CFL down if they are unwilling to adopt NFL rules.

I totally get it if you're an old school fan of CFL and like that it's "not the NFL", but if they don't adapt they will cease to exist.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 04:17 PM   #12
MG1

I give it two years, max.

If they bastardize the Canadian rules, might as well just pack it in.

The C in CFL would be gone. They can't be competitive in today's market. In a way, I'm glad Kato's not around to witness the death of the league.

I was at the Sheffield Express in Metrotown yesterday and saw this........ hilarious.

https://imgur.com/a/moMjulp

A good number of CFL players have made it to the NFL and have had success.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

i was at the 94 Grey cup game as well and also remember the half time show being garbage lol

my dad has had seasons tickets since 82 or something
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-15-2021, 06:05 AM   #14
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
CFL rules tend to tighten up the game. There's less room horizontally, only 3 downs... I do like allowing forward progress before snap.
Actually the NFL field has less room horizontally, CFL fields are way wider. CFL end zones are also practically twice the size of NFL ones… but CFL also has the field goal uprights at the front of the end zone on the goal line which interferes with end zone plays and, quite frankly (and just my opinion maybe), present a massive danger to players unintentionally running into them. Who puts a giant pole n the middle of a high speed game surface?

The quality of kickers in the CFL in recent years has also been just awful, punts regularly go for 20-30 yards…. Far cry from watching even bench dudes in the NFL air out 70+ yards lol
Old 07-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Actually the NFL field has less room horizontally, CFL fields are way wider. CFL end zones are also practically twice the size of NFL ones… but CFL also has the field goal uprights at the front of the end zone on the goal line which interferes with end zone plays and, quite frankly (and just my opinion maybe), present a massive danger to players unintentionally running into them. Who puts a giant pole n the middle of a high speed game surface?

The quality of kickers in the CFL in recent years has also been just awful, punts regularly go for 20-30 yards…. Far cry from watching even bench dudes in the NFL air out 70+ yards lol
My bad I got it mixed up

Either way, they are choosing to cater to old fans while not trying to bring in new ones. That's generally not how you stay alive in business.

And yes having the uprights there is stupid. But I guess with 3 downs there are a lot more field goals so this keeps scores going?
Old 08-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #16
MG1

CFL season starts tomorrow. The Lions' season opener against Saskatchewan is on Friday.

I usually only watch BC Lions games, but I miss the CFL so much, Im going to watch the Ti Cats vs Bombers game tomorrow.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #17
MG1

quasi, is your son no longer playing football? I think it was you who had a son playing football. I remember you posting a pic.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-04-2021, 09:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
quasi, is your son no longer playing football? I think it was you who had a son playing football. I remember you posting a pic.
Yes he is, playing high school ball now for Lord Tweedsmuir. He's junior varsity this year, he plays oytside linebacker, wide reciever and He's a backup Quarterback.

It's funny because he was always smaller and played quarterback and corner back but he grew about 7 inches this year and put on more size so now he's too slow to play corner but large enough where he can get in the trenches and hit now.

They are currently practicing twice a week that goes to 5 days a week soon.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #19
MG1

Nice.......... still a Roughrider fan?

Green is in your blood. Just watch the game on Friday.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Nice.......... still a Roughrider fan?

Green is in your blood. Just watch the game on Friday.
Yeah, I don't think we can stop being Roughrider fans I mean if we're going to cheer for a team in the CFL that's the one. We haven't watched a lot of CFL football the last few years but I will most likely watch tomorrow because I miss football in general but if I'm being honest I have no idea who's on the roster or what the team looks like.

This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2021, 01:56 PM   #21
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
Yeah, I don't think we can stop being Roughrider fans I mean if we're going to cheer for a team in the CFL that's the one. We haven't watched a lot of CFL football the last few years but I will most likely watch tomorrow because I miss football in general but if I'm being honest I have no idea who's on the roster or what the team looks like.
It’s Roughriders, so even if it were 25% capacity, Mosaic Stadium is going to be rockin’. That’s the one thing you can count on. Crazy die hard Roughrider fans. I’m green with envy.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #22
MG1

Adam Bighill............. damn.

I love Canadian Football. The field, the rules............ it's just too bad the calibre of players are not the best.

Flipping back and forth between the Jays and the football game.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:27 PM   #23

Watching the game now, what a crowd they have!
Old 08-05-2021, 05:41 PM   #24
MG1

That one ref is like bigger than most of the players, lol.

The CFL motto is now longer, wider, and faster............. The CFL is Canada and the other way around. It will be sad if it dies a slow miserable death. It's not all old farts in the stands. More than a few young people in the mix.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:54 PM   #25

Enjoying these scrambles by the Winnipeg QB