REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-09-2021, 01:43 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Need Electrical help (Soldering / Wiring)

Spoiler!

EDIT2:

Ok... apologies to anyone who spent time reading my post... I re-soldered (heated up, moved the pre-existing solder around a bit, applied a tiny bit of new additional solder) to my T switch, and now it works.... o___O so, conclusion is, something was indeed wrong with my solder joint, even though visually it looked fine, and a closed circuit SHOULD have been achieved regardless.... I'm still confused, and none of this makes sense to me personally. But I am glad it works now!

Thanks again!
Advertisement

Last edited by PuYang; 09-09-2021 at 03:44 PM.
PuYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 09:22 PM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
If the keys that aren't faulty can be bridged before the diode, and work, what are the diodes for?

Do you have a multimeter with a diode test function?

Is there anything that the faulty keys have in common (ie using the same row or column)?

Are you sure there isn't a short somewhere? That's a lot of exposed metal in close proximity.

Also I'd really suggest getting solder on all the connections. Alternatively use test leads with alligator clips so you're getting some pressure on there. Loosely twisted wires are a recipe for problems.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2021, 08:59 AM   #3

Hi, thanks for reading / replying. Apologies, as I sorta resolved the issues.

The diodes for each switch > Row is to guarantee you can press any number of keys and any combination of keys without issue (as you'd want to in a keyboard. I think they call it N-Key Rollover for keyboards). TECHNICALLY, you don't need a diode on EVERY single switch. But then, you'd have to figure out which combination of keys will require it... so it's much easier to just add a diode to each switch to guarantee all combos work. I don't know the details, but something about diodes makes the current flow only in one direction is supposed to resolve that issue?

There are no shorts! I put in a lot of time and effort to ensure all wires are bent and clearing eachother. Probably the most time spent in this entire build is designing and bending rigid the wires xD

I will be soldering the remaining connections tonight or tomorrow. But as of now, I have fixed the issues I was experiencing! I simply reheated the existing solder joints on the switches that weren't working and added a bit more fresh solder to the joints and now the keys all work properly.

My DEL key that I mentioned as somewhat inconsistent did turn out to be a faulty switch, as I soldered / re-soldered its joints a few times and it still acted funny. I then de-soldered it and removed it. Put in a new switch and it now works correctly!

Thanks to everyone who read through my long post. I apologize, as I made it in haste / frustration. Then solved the issues a few hours later. Probably could have saved you guys the trouble of reading it all xD
Old 09-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Derp, yeah preventing backfeeding makes sense. I was thinking resistors for some reason.

Glad you got it sorted!
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

Wasn't sure if I wanted to bump this, as this is resolved, but thought I would post the completed project for anyone curious:

https://imgur.com/a/CWTRpz6

Still working on my custom keycaps (Spiderman / Venom, etc). I have a Carnage, Gwenom, and Scream that are unpainted right now. They will be on the far left row (currently F1, F2, F3, F4)

I am quite happy overall with the result of the wiring. Everything is in the open and exposed, with the gold-toned brass wires looking quite blingy.

Thanks for reading!