REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:10 AM   #51
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,514 Times in 4,905 Posts
Wow, that didn't take long....... was hoping this thread would be a positive one. Par for the course, I guess.

I'm referring to how the whole thread has evolved, not any one reply.

Maybe, "What I fucking hate about this fucked up poor excuse for a useless shithole of a country we live in," might be more like it.

Butt, the thread continues..................

I'll just sit back and read the posts/replies while having some Jack Links (I don't like popcorn). Will always be a proud Canadian.
Advertisement
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 09-16-2021 at 10:17 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #52
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Hard to forge a unique identity in today's globalized world especially when we are next to the cultural behemoth of the US. Geography plays a part but it is not our destiny. History matters. Politics matters.

Just remember the most right leaning CPC member would probably be considered a pinko-commie in most parts of the states. And the most left leaning Democrats in the states still have to kowtow to the gun lobby and display cringe inducing amounts of Patriotism for Canadian standards.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
I work with a lot of Americans, many just across the border in WA as well as Canadians from the East it's clear there is a definite cultural difference when dealing with Americans. Other than our commonality with superficial environmental factors there's a difference between the way they talk, cultural markers, history. This is reflected in the way they approach life and their expectations and entitlements. When talking to someone from Toronto we come from a common base which is the Canadian experience - superficial stuff like Hockey and Politics but also we understand the Multicultural Mosaic, the Canadian immigrant experience, the need for consensus, Peace, Order, and Good Government.

Dude, everything that is "Canadian" here is basically Torontoized. BMO, Shoppers, Tim Hortons etc. You just think we like Trader Joes more of course because it's a freaking specialty store and you want to compare it to a run of the mill grocery like Sobeys? LOL. Guaranteed that corporate offices in Toronto have a way more effect on your life than you realize.

Seriously Alipay and Uncle Tetsu makes us Asia? They have that shit in Toronto too maybe even more so. Just because we have a ton of Chinese here doesn't make us "Asia". We are Canadian to the core with Asian flavour that is it.
i work in kits around lots of those who grew up in Ontario, and not just pleasantries i have to spend an hour every 3-6months with each of them

did we watch the sameeshows growing up sure, but i dont relate any less to those from elsewhere..most of those virtues you listed are of many progressive societies not limited to canada. That's the thing with globalization and especially someone well-travelled like yourself to not have to feel boxed into a classification of canadian just because it's on your passport

i suppose im not a good example as a vancouverite as i can only really think of my banking/insurance that's tied to rest of the country..most if it is local or us-based

sorry not familiar with stores similar to trader joes from eastern canada if they have presence here..T&T is homegrown with the taiwan model

i was just at the ten-don place in brentwood and they have even the emergency exit sign straight out of like singapore, if it wasn't for the server speaking english i'd be fooled to say i was in canada
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #54
linguistic ninja

Emergency Exits? You mean the green man signs? They're International Standard signs that Canada is just now catching up with. So old buildings still have the "American Style" Red EXIT signs but new ones should be using the Green Iconographic ones. And guess what Province spearheaded it? Ontario:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...sign-1.3134911

Old 09-17-2021, 09:39 AM   #55
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i work in kits around lots of those who grew up in Ontario, and not just pleasantries i have to spend an hour every 3-6months with each of them

did we watch the sameeshows growing up sure, but i dont relate any less to those from elsewhere..most of those virtues you listed are of many progressive societies not limited to canada. That's the thing with globalization and especially someone well-travelled like yourself to not have to feel boxed into a classification of canadian just because it's on your passport

i suppose im not a good example as a vancouverite as i can only really think of my banking/insurance that's tied to rest of the country..most if it is local or us-based

sorry not familiar with stores similar to trader joes from eastern canada if they have presence here..T&T is homegrown with the taiwan model

i was just at the ten-don place in brentwood and they have even the emergency exit sign straight out of like singapore, if it wasn't for the server speaking english i'd be fooled to say i was in canada
Walk around in that whole food court and you wouldn't know you're in Canada
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #56
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
Emergency Exits? You mean the green man signs? They're International Standard signs that Canada is just now catching up with. So old buildings still have the "American Style" Red EXIT signs but new ones should be using the Green Iconographic ones. And guess what Province spearheaded it? Ontario:

416 checking in again
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:55 AM   #57
linguistic ninja

^dude back me up here

Old 09-17-2021, 12:24 PM   #58
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:

Those green signs will be closer to the floor than the ceiling eventually as well. Smoke rises and their function is to help people escape fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #59
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Quote:
^dude back me up here
hahaha I'm not really sure what to say here or rather, unsure if I can add any real value here.

I've done a lot of traveling across Canada throughout my career to have been through all the provinces, except for the territories. There's always the superficial cultural denominators like hockey, CBC, and Tim Horton's, but since moving to Toronto a number of years ago, I came to accept that a lot of decisions (be it good or bad - not up to me to decide) happens in Toronto.

Banking/Finance, technology, health care, food supply chain - the big decisions are here. I can't even move back to Vancouver w/o leaving my employer because the decisions are still being made in Toronto regardless so I feel stuck here (and for a long time to come)

I miss Vancouver but accept that it's not a perfect city; Vancouver has its ups and downs/pros and cons, but I still feel like an outsider having lived in Toronto for a while. It took me about 2 - 3 years to really "adapt" and accept the way of life in Toronto and I still resist the "culture" if you will. I still identify as a Vancouverite to this day.

They have "Farm Boy" out there but its nowhere as good as Trader Joe's, and I miss that a lot. ABGs too. Moving here helped me accelerate my career which would NOT have been possible in Vancouver, so it still boggles my mind how Revscene ballers here have $250K+ minimum household incomes. One thing's for sure - you either are baller as fuck or you're a drug dealer (so here's my jab at you assholes) hah!

As the saying goes, the universe revolves around Toronto.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-17-2021, 02:34 PM   #60
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
running man exits has been a code change for several years now. those that don't have it are grandfathered, any reno (baring a few minor ones) generally will require them updated.

yes smoke rises, few years back one of the managers i works with originally from the UK would tell me some designs where in the event of a fire, the floor lit up like an airport landing strip with arrows directing you where to go out on main egress routes, makes sense...sounds expensive though

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 03:26 PM   #61
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
With less than a week to go, Oktoberfest in KW is coming up... In all those years when I was living in 519, somehow I've never actually participated in the main festivities -- the beer drinking alone doesn't count.

Did you know that the KW Oktoberfest is the biggest one in the world outside of Munchen? It was cancelled last year, but I think they are still set to go for this year for now.

Sigh...

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 02:42 PM   #62
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,821 Times in 3,902 Posts
https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._vancouver_to/

not the end all be all but a similar discussion of where of vancouver fits in cascadia vs canada

going camping next week and the lake is physically connected to north cascades national park

the pacing and vibe here is completely different than toronto and undeniably closer to that of portland (think hipster culture and breweries..the breweries in halifax are another beast altogether)

Last edited by twitchyzero; 10-03-2021 at 02:50 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote