REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #626
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,725 Times in 3,141 Posts
typical NIMBY bullshit. i hope VIMC sues them to oblivion.
Advertisement
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #627
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
I have followed the early arguments between GAIN (VIMC's owner) and the Cowichan City Hall. Based on what I've read from the news as well as from watching some of the public hearing, it was dubious that the initial zonings of some of the land parcels allowed for the construction of the current track. IMO, only some, but not all of the land parcels were zoned to allow for building the track, but City Hall approved the whole plot (which is made up from multiple differently zone land parcels) for track building.

The initial approval to build came from City Hall, and GAIN had lawyers verify that the approval was legit, so they went ahead and started building. From a legal stand point, GAIN is 100% in the right to build there cuz they had all the official approvals. And if certain level of the court determines that City Hall made a mistake in the first place, and that GAIN couldn't build the track there, GAIN had every right to sue and bankrupt the Cowichan City Hall for misleading them. And at one point, GAIN was threatening to do exactly just that.

I have stopped actively following the bickering between the neighbours (Sahtlam Neighbourhood Association), City Hall, and GAIN for some time now, but it seems to me that SNA is using every opportunity they can find to hinder further developments of the venue. Some of their accusations seem legit to me, while others are more bogus.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 03:00 PM   #628
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Tough owning a track for sure. Should be interesting to see how this pans out. I wonder if Area 27 has the same problems? (Probably?)

Le Circuit Mont Tremblant is situated in a resort town similar to Whistler and there are a row of residential homes that lead up to the entrance of the track. They are pretty strict about sound rules and had to cancel a few historic/vintage races because of the sound restrictions. Residents in and around the track want to have it shut down for good and I can't help but think why they moved there/built their homes there AFTER the track was built.

If any of you ever get a chance to drive Le Circuit, I highly recommend it. There are arrive and drive programs and that track is fantastic.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #629
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,926 Times in 3,878 Posts
Sounds like the same BS that shut down the track in Vernon. iirc it could've stayed open, but the owner got sick of fighting with people.

Area 27 is pretty far from anything residential as far as I can tell, so they should be safe for a while. It seems like the only way to be sure is to build a track a long ways from anything and buy up any even vaguely residential property that comes up nearby.

Personally if I had the money I'd love to buy a vacation property right next to a track. Then I'd actually be able to go to a track day from time to time.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #630
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,460 Times in 5,118 Posts
Fuck it's stuff like this makes me want to move to the UK... I plotted on googles maps various tracks and car racing places... if you lived a bit east of Coventry (for example) you're like 30 minutes driving to 6 different race tracks, including Silverstone lol

The amount of space we have here compared to them? The entire country is like the size of Vancouver Island. Shit's a joke.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 04:37 PM   #631
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

brought the dog on a hike at Minnekhada
epoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2022, 05:47 PM   #632
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,729 Times in 895 Posts
From what I've heard, min wage is shit though, and it seems like cost of living is pretty high..... And how would you support living in the country side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Fuck it's stuff like this makes me want to move to the UK... I plotted on googles maps various tracks and car racing places... if you lived a bit east of Coventry (for example) you're like 30 minutes driving to 6 different race tracks, including Silverstone lol

The amount of space we have here compared to them? The entire country is like the size of Vancouver Island. Shit's a joke.
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #633
Performance Moderator

Cuz I’m rich like everyone else on RS (except trollface)

Sell my 1 bedroom condo here and buy an estate in England… boom!
Old 07-06-2022, 05:52 PM   #634

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post

yeah but then you gotta deal wit this

Old 07-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #635
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
canada will never have the car-friendly culture that europe/usa enjoys

odds are almost always stacked against us here..im conflicted because i believe in walking/biking is just as important but the r/fuckcars diehards are damn scary!! i assume they grow/make everything in their backyard and wfh
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 08:34 PM   #636
SiRVs up, dude

Old 07-06-2022, 09:55 PM   #637
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,514 Times in 4,312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:06 PM   #638
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,309 Times in 2,515 Posts
IIRC, A27 is sitting on indigenous land, and the track was co-developed with the tribe / band that owns the land. And because of that, there is far less red tape involved.

Generally speaking, local businesses close to a race track know and appreciate the benefits that the track brings to the community, but residents tend to be less supportive. In that regard, it is pretty rare that Mission Raceway enjoys the public support that it does. (But I keep thinking their City Council still wants to replace the whole thing with "waterfront properties" even though they no longer say that in their official city plans.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Tough owning a track for sure. Should be interesting to see how this pans out. I wonder if Area 27 has the same problems? (Probably?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Area 27 is pretty far from anything residential as far as I can tell, so they should be safe for a while. It seems like the only way to be sure is to build a track a long ways from anything and buy up any even vaguely residential property that comes up nearby.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:25 PM   #639

sigh... looks like another week or so before she's done. Dropped by and saw this

im really glad i went with this wrap. its soo THICK. like insanely thick. i took some extras he discarded and compared it to some of 3m / avery crap they had and its at least twice as thick if not 3x. used the extra piece to try and wrap my work phone. did a piss job of it so far. will try again later.

Last edited by Badhobz; 07-07-2022 at 01:30 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2022, 01:33 PM   #640
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
Man you guys are brave for letting ppl take apart plastic cars to wrap and use razors.

That shit never goes back together as tight as before. I would be kinda pissed if my 100k car had pieces sitting on the floor and on random boxes and two oil drums.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:42 PM   #641

yeah but to a certain extent im sure sort of disassembly / repairs arent uncommon. I mean look at bodyshops, they do this fender bender type of crap all day long. Even if you take into the dealer to do warranty work / repairs, they will often take off the bumpers to access certain parts of the car.

I dont like it, but it beats the dude with razors knifing the grooves randomly.

Here's two that he just finished today
that GT4....
Old 07-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #642
Performance Moderator

That seems in some ways like a really chill job... slowly removing parts and wrapping them etc. I am sure there's a tonne of technique, but once you got it down I feel it would be a really therapeutic working experience with the right type of personality!

Plus he's making a killing price wise lol
Old 07-07-2022, 02:04 PM   #643
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,738 Times in 956 Posts
If you're billing per hr.

Removing plastic panels, clips, rivets on a modern car is anything but therapeutic lol. There is a 99% chance you're going to snap one of those OEM clips/rivets that you can't see, and a pretty good chance you'll never know either.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid from the exhaust leak in my car.

Last edited by trollface; 07-07-2022 at 02:15 PM.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #644

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
If you're billing per hr.

Removing plastic panels, clips, rivets on a modern car is anything but therapeutic lol. There is a 99% chance you're going to snap one of those OEM clips/rivets that you can't see, and a pretty good chance you'll never know either.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid from the exhaust leak in my car.
Why you say words that’ll hurt me trolly ?!?! now I’m not going to buy you a ice frap at timmys on the 15th
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2022, 02:17 PM   #645
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
If they can do it at the factory, they can do it at a shop. It all come down to if they are willing to pay attention to the details and you are willing to pay them to do so.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:21 PM   #646

^^ curious to know what the cost is, is $5000 enough? I've only tried to DIY wrap hood roof and trunk before when vinyl first came out and it was a bitch to do. I've even wanting to give it another go
Old 07-07-2022, 02:24 PM   #647

It’s almost 10k bro…. This is the most expensive guy I’ve found. My ES is worth less than this wrap job.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #648
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
I’ll quit my job and work for you badhobz
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:26 PM   #649

Damn how long will it last? I'll be pissed if it damages the OEM paint. More than I can afford maybe m&m design super car only imaginable is cheaper
Old 07-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #650

Shi fu guy said it’ll last 5-7 years with zero damage to the paint underneath due to the “low tack” nature of this wrap. Like I said this material is thick. I’ll bring some to the meet and show you guys. Pretty sure you can just order this wrap and have somebody else install it for much cheaper. Or just do it yourself.
This post thanked by: