REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-06-2022, 06:33 AM   #51
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,440 Times in 4,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
So honestly, are any of these kind of high powered cars even fun to drive outside of the track?

I've never driven anything close to the power of cars like these, but I've always imagined they would be too fast for the streets to enjoy. So you either buy them for track or for status...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
^ uh... yes
I don't think it's a simple yes or no answer, but if we really need to simplify, the answer is yes in the context of being in the city only.

When I had my E36 M3, it was a civilized performance vehicle that was fun to drive on the street in the city and a lot of fun on the highway and on back country roads. But when I got my 996, it kind of sucked because you were stuck in stop-and-go traffic and you'd be doing 60km/h in the city while trying to avoid getting busted by VPD etc.

After taking my Boxster out to the track, I still wonder why I even bother driving it in the city because 1. same reasons as 996 but obviously lower power and 2. I learned to appreciate the Boxster's capabilities on the track because at that point,, it's more the driver than the car and I haven't learned to take it to the limit and that's where the fun comes in.

On the flip side, when I take my Ducati Monster out for a ride, I'm riding around in 2nd gear all day and wondering why I even have this thing because I can't go beyond the speed limit without attracting too much attention while trying to survive.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:51 AM   #52
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 8,505 Times in 3,051 Posts
thats why convertibles are entertaining. when youre puttering around the city, you still feel immersed in your environment. Almost motorcycle like (i miss my chopppaaahhh)
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #53
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
I'd rather to stuck in traffic in a 911 than a Camry, let's put it that way.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:02 AM   #54

not me, i love cheapy cars in the city. you dont have to worry about them, i dont care if it gets dinged, and i usually just want to drive the piss out of them for ha ha's.

a expensive car in the city im always trying to dodge potholes, parking, cops, etc

camry/ratrolla are the best in the city.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2022, 07:11 AM   #55
RS Veteran

Quote:
A modern 911, yes. An aircooled 911? No. Camry would win. Especially the newer ones. I welcome you to join me to be stuck in rush hour traffic here in Toronto since you're a glutton for punishment.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-06-2022, 07:39 AM   #56
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,725 Times in 950 Posts
Where are you guys driving that a modern car would get wrecked by potholes?

This is Vancouver we're talking bout right?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #57

wow i just looked at lexus.ca and it seems like the rates have gone up even more. Jesus im so glad i bought in before the 10% luxury tax

2500 bucks a month now vs 2400 last few months
Old 10-06-2022, 07:43 AM   #58
RS Veteran

Yes, Lexus' rate shot up quite a bit. Brutal.

Old 10-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #59
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
It's a bit of a loaded question, and as Badhobz as alluded to, there is a sense of liberation when you are driving a beater because you don't really care if little things happen to it, and you can beat on the car all day.

On the other hand, high powered cars are a ton of fun to drive when the opportunity presents itself. Stuck behind an idiot doing 40 when everyone else is going at 60+? (or doing 80 when everyone else is doing 100+?) You see an opening? You just squeeze the throttle and you're out of the detention cell -- assuming there isn't a cop nearby. An 18 wheeler doesn't see you when it is changing / merging lanes? A high powered car can get you out of trouble in the blink of an eye. It opens up more options for your driving.

And then there is the generalization that these high powered cars generally have far better chassis than your regular cars, and offer much higher grip levels. (Unless you're in a hemi-powered Chrysler of some sort LOL~) That solid granite block feeling is so much better than driving the pile of wet noodles that I daily in. On ramps are fun in a good handling, high grip car. You can make any car stick better by throwing a set of high performance summer tires on it, but the feeling just isn't the same.

And then you give yourself excuses to drive the S2S / Duffy Loop, Hwy 3, or get yourself out to the track so that you can enjoy the car's best traits in a more suitable environment LOL~
Quote:
So honestly, are any of these kind of high powered cars even fun to drive outside of the track?

I've never driven anything close to the power of cars like these, but I've always imagined they would be too fast for the streets to enjoy. So you either buy them for track or for status...?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2022, 08:30 AM   #60

Quote:
Where are you guys driving that a modern car would get wrecked by potholes?

This is Vancouver we're talking bout right?
Venables from Clarke to downtown is a land mine infested shit hole.
Victoria from Broadway to 1st avenue wrecks my fillings.
West Georgia in general anywhere past Seymour down to the viaduct.
Bute st.
Clarke/knight on the inside lane where semis drive.
Granville on the inside / middle lane. Sucks both southbound and northbound.
Marine drive on the outer lane from Arthur Lang to Cambie going east.
Marine drive in general from Vic to Arthur Lang.

Vancouver roads are absolutely dog shit compared to Richmond roads.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #61
Need to Seek Professional Help

Other day I saw a Ferrari and Lambo driving in gas town. They literally were holding up traffic, going snail pace around man holes and loose bricks. But I bet they were thinking "This is so fun, we should loop around and do it again!" Lol.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:44 AM   #62
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:

I wonder the same about a lot of the newer stuff. I got to drive a 488 GTB and a Huracan for a few laps around Pacific Raceway in Seattle and going slowly around the first corner to let another car get ahead was still at 50mph and it felt like I was in a school zone. When I was actually pushing it a bit (probably a fraction of what the car is really capable of) and it felt exciting you were way beyond the speed you'd be able to take the car on the street. Unless you're on a road with really good visibility around corners you can only go so fast because if it's a bit blind and there's another car or an animal or a rock or whatever hiding around that corner you're going to crash into it if you're actually pushing the car at all. And if a cop sees you you're getting impounded.

Granted the cars were in the safest street mode and I only got to drive them for a couple laps each. But I can't imagine actually having much fun with them on the street. Then of course if it's only really for the track neither of those cars are a good choice. I'd rather buy something like that crazy thing lowside67 has
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:

Last edited by underscore; 10-06-2022 at 08:50 AM.
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
I'd argue that there are very few cars slow enough now to have fun on the street - even a GTI is wicked fast compared to something 15 years ago and a ND Miata is pretty fast too. The fastest cars I've driven are a 992S and a 781 Boxster GTS and it's impossible to stretch them out on public roads properly but they are still so brilliantly engaging at any speed b/c of how well made they are. It's not as fun as a ND Miata on public roads in the purest sense but it was still fun in it's own way.

Unlike exotics though, I didn't feel I needed to baby either Porsche, they weren't so fancy that I was tip toeing around pot holes, speed bumps and curbs. I would imagine exotics are PITAs to drive around locally because of that.
Old 10-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #64
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
not me, i love cheapy cars in the city. you dont have to worry about them, i dont care if it gets dinged, and i usually just want to drive the piss out of them for ha ha's.

a expensive car in the city im always trying to dodge potholes, parking, cops, etc

camry/ratrolla are the best in the city.
Agreed, Fit is my DD, enough creature comforts to get by and sips gas. Cost me $60 to fillup even with $2.34L and gets me 450km. GT4 is my weekender, and the only time you can actually enjoy it is at 5am S2S on a Sunday.

Half the time I'm angling in and out of parking lots, bottoming out, dodging potholes, rock debris from construction. I know I know, first world problems
G0rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 12:02 PM   #65
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Old 10-06-2022, 12:54 PM   #66
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
I just enjoy knowing the fact that I have 400hp+ when I need it. If I really want to get around that Yaris I can. Not nearly as easy in the family SUV.

Objectively speaking, you don't need more than 200hp around town. Subjectively, 350hp is where I would like to be.
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 10:39 AM   #67
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts

c5 and c6 still iconic
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 10:43 AM   #68
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post
I just enjoy knowing the fact that I have 400hp+ when I need it. If I really want to get around that Yaris I can. Not nearly as easy in the family SUV.

Objectively speaking, you don't need more than 200hp around town. Subjectively, 350hp is where I would like to be.
C'mon, you and I both know that it's always a Lexus ES or RX that's in the way.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 12:05 PM   #69
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
C'mon, you and I both know that it's always a Lexus ES or RX that's in the way.
Or some ratrolla
EvoFire is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-07-2022, 04:21 PM   #70
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
The nature of my question wasn't comparing a Camry with a 911. But more like a Golf R or CTR, etc. vs a Huracan or some other supercar.

Doing quick pulls here and there when the traffic opens up is fun in a 300hp car. But when it's a 600hp car, is it maybe too excessive that it actually becomes kind of dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFire View Post

lol, even 200hp is more than enough. I tend to drive quite briskly in general. When the traffic is low in the evening, I'm easily passing everyone in a 155hp Mazda3. It's the driver, not the car. I find people just drive really slow in general.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #71
RS Veteran

What is slow? Legal speed limits?

Old 10-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #72
Need to Seek Professional Help

^^ hwy 1 slow lane going 90km/h and still getting passed by people in the slow lane.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:35 PM   #73
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Quote:
Doing quick pulls here and there when the traffic opens up is fun in a 300hp car. But when it's a 600hp car, is it maybe too excessive that it actually becomes kind of dangerous?
600hp+ is definitely excessive. One time when I had the opportunity to instruct in a C7 Z06 (650hp / 650 tq) at Mission, I was just maintaining pace / carrying speed thru T8, and very gradually rolled on the throttle when T9 opened up. Holy mother of god!!! The car just catapulted us to 150 km/h+ effortlessly in the blink of an eye. And while I was accelerating with the tiniest amount of steering input -- ie. my steering wheel wasn't completely straight yet -- I felt the backend of the car having a twitch. It was a little unnerving, and instinct of course just kicked in -- I eased up on the steering and the car settled back down, and we continued our merry way down the front straight.

My first conherent thought after getting over the initial WHOA was -- the car was unnecessarily fast / powerful. And if I were thinking that, then I can't imagine how a person with minimal high performance driver training can possibly tame and control a high powered beast like the C7 Z06.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 10:02 PM   #74
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
What is slow? Legal speed limits?
lol, I did say I drive briskly.

For starters, just lack of situational awareness, slow reaction to lights or traffic changes, unncessarily slow acceleration, slowing down a lot just to take a slight bend on the road, or to make a right turn, etc.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote