REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Island Automotive Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/island-automotive-chat_13/)
-   -   The Progression of the mspeedP5 Turbo (https://www.revscene.net/forums/322779-progression-mspeedp5-turbo.html)

mspeedP5 08-29-2005 04:17 PM

Progression of mspeedP5 Turbo Install

I am contemplating taking the plunge and going forced induction. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Mental Addiction Motorsports Street Sleeper Kit at a fairly decent price. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with their products and has any feedback. The details of the sale are as follows:

Unfortunately, it's time for me to throw in the towel. Long story short: I've decided that I no longer have the passion and the commitment to continue modifying my car extensively. There is nothing wrong with the kit. It is a fantastic kit and is 100% complete. I'm just not 100% there.
This kit retailed for $4395 USD. I'm selling it for $3500 CDN + shipping if applicable.

Included is the following:
GT28RS
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Greddy Type S BOV
FMIC
MPI Tuner + Turbo Module
Plumbing + Miscellaneous parts

I ran this kit for 4 months and put on less than 8,000 KM. Beau (the manufacturer) from Mental Addiction Motorsports has amazing customer service and will continue to honour his warranty on the kit.

I'd prefer to sell and see this kit run in Vancouver as it hasn't really had it's chance to shine. However, I'll be posting an ad on the Toronto and US boards within the next couple weeks to increase exposure.

Let me know if you have any questions. This is a large investment (at a huge discount) and I don't want a buyer to walk into this blind. I'm local (to Vancouver), so we can meet up and discuss any concerns you might have.

More details on the kit are here:
Mental Addiction Motorsports

Any opinions/feedback etc appreciated.

MajorBludd 08-29-2005 05:08 PM

i would say its a good deal for the parts as every thing is made for a direct bolt on i would asume. my only concern is seeing the parts in person to see the true condtion of them, but 3500 cnd not a bad price. considering the gt28rs with out coatings runs around the 1000 US mark new.

Zeus 08-29-2005 06:12 PM

yeah gt28rs goes for 1100 us on kinetics site... so definately a good deal...

I cant say ive heard of "mpi tuner + turbo module before" but seeings how there is no fmu (very very good thing) this looks to be your fuel controll... id research that and see how well you like it...

but the rest of the kit looks pretty damn nice... that mani provided its not cheaply made should be really good... looks like a "full race" manifold and they make some of the best in the business

my final thoughts is this looks like it would be a great kit for your car... perfect turbo size and a complete kit that has allready been installed on the same car plsu getting it used means you get it at a discount...

not sure how skookum the stock bottom end is though

bigwoofer 08-29-2005 06:20 PM

Good deal, the MPI is a bit of a quirky thing to get tuned properly. But other than that, a really good deal.

Of course, our engine's are shit for high boost, so unless you go forged, don't plan on running higher than 7-8psi. Thankfully I have forged internals and am running around 10-12psi right now. Mucho fun... but once you start boosing, hard to go back

Just do it

jeffraider 08-29-2005 06:26 PM

I'm thinking of going turbo too, so I have to encourage you not to do this so I never have to be in the same class as you racing. :)

mspeedP5 08-29-2005 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeffraider
I'm thinking of going turbo too, so I have to encourage you not to do this so I never have to be in the same class as you racing. :)
:lol

4g914d 08-29-2005 09:35 PM

$3500 seems a little much to me. But if it' basicly a brand new kit then go for it. I'm sure you could piece a kit together for cheaper though. If you're only going to be able to keep boost @ 6-8 psi then there's really no need for that turbo, buy a used mitsu turbo like a t25, or better yet a 14b, heck you can pic up a new evoIII 16g for about $600 and It'll be more than you'll ever need if you plan on keeping the internals stock. Spend the extra money you save on a better fuel system and management than what is offered in the kit and you'll be able to make more boost(and power of course) in the long run, or an safc and larger diameter downpipe and exhaust etc. etc. The kit has wicked parts but I think you could get the same performance or better for afew hundred less. Just my opinion, not that it even counts...

dragon_perf 08-30-2005 03:17 PM

Do it Mark!!! Just make sure that there is no play in the turbine and that it spins smoothly, past that Id say snatch it up ASAP.

Lemon 08-30-2005 04:22 PM

boost is good

bigwoofer 08-31-2005 07:45 PM

Psssst, get a good kit. I started out saying I was only going to stay in the 6-8psi range. Now im up in the 10-12psi and next year should be closer to 16-18psi. Boost is evil

bigwoofer 08-31-2005 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by GT-Four

I cant say ive heard of "mpi tuner + turbo module before"

the MPI turbo module is a voltage clamp, which under boost interrupts the factory ECU to prevent it from pulling fuel under boost.

Big Zee 09-01-2005 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon
boost is good
fuck you assclown, you said you were stayin NA....

:cry: why couldn't you stay turbo'd :(

DO IT MARK!!!! you'll be happy with the results
and Matt turbo your teg!!

NashMan 09-05-2005 06:09 PM

really depends on what you wana do with your car in the end

you cna build trubo kit for very cheep big turbo cost money that pretty much the most exp of the hole thign

Talonted 09-05-2005 09:58 PM

I am selling my ported with a 10deg clip Big 16 g.
$500.00 takes it.

:D

mspeedP5 09-16-2005 05:23 AM

Here's some pictures of the actual kit in it's current condition. Any sharp-eyed comments for a relatively inexperienced turbo person would be much appreciated...:)

1st Gen. Street Sleeper Kit

bigwoofer 09-16-2005 06:46 AM

what, you haven't bought this thing yet????

Worse case scenario, spend $300 and have the turbo rebuilt, then it's like you are getting a brand new kit.

mspeedP5 09-17-2005 05:34 PM

I've now got boost... :cool:
Umm, I mean it's in a box in my trunk. :D

RZZ 09-17-2005 09:36 PM

holy shit, you really pick it up! :D

In 2006, it will be Mech tune FF vs Turbo tune FF on the autox in SM lol :D

btw, are you planning to get LSD after the turbo?

Quote:

Originally posted by mspeedP5
I've now got boost... :cool:
Umm, I mean it's in a box in my trunk. :D

Korpse 09-18-2005 03:08 AM

You just had to keep up with me didn't ya! haha

mspeedP5 09-18-2005 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by RZZ
btw, are you planning to get LSD after the turbo?
:agree:

mspeedP5 09-18-2005 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Korpse
You just had to keep up with me didn't ya! haha
;)

mspeedP5 10-10-2005 06:47 PM

Hmmm, wonder why this is in my living room... :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p_0049copy.jpg

Lemon 10-10-2005 09:23 PM

INSTALL PICS!!!!

Action ( talon) 10-11-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigwoofer

Worse case scenario, spend $300 and have the turbo rebuilt, then it's like you are getting a brand new kit.

Um, its like 300 in parts to get the gaskets and such to rebuild a turbo..... you are looking at about 500 taxes in to rebuild a turbo unless you want to risk doing it yourself and blowing it up cause it wasn't aligned properly ;)

mspeedP5 10-16-2005 03:28 PM

Hmmm, something looks different...

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...p_0083copy.jpg