REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Shipping to Point Roberts (https://www.revscene.net/forums/543283-shipping-point-roberts.html)

willystyle 08-22-2008 11:22 PM

Shipping to Point Roberts

Hey guys, I want to purchase something from Amazon.com, but it only ships within the US, so I was wondering if I ship my package to The Letter Carrier.

How does The Letter Carrier work? Do I have to register with TLC? Do I enter their address? Do I need to change the address on my credit card?

If someone can write me a step-by-step guide that would be great.

Thanks!

suprasian 08-23-2008 12:50 AM

when i got my stuff shipped, the billing address didnt match the where i wanted it to be shipped. what you can do is call your cc company, and tell them you have another billing address. other then that, it may just take an extra day or 2 for the cc company to verify the purchase if you dont tell them.

ntan 08-23-2008 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprasian (Post 5998190)
when i got my stuff shipped, the billing address didnt match the where i wanted it to be shipped. what you can do is call your cc company, and tell them you have another billing address. other then that, it may just take an extra day or 2 for the cc company to verify the purchase if you dont tell them.

Some sellers require the shipping address to be the same as billing address. Interesting note about calling the CC company to add another billing address, I'll give that a try =P

syee 08-23-2008 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntan (Post 5998205)
Some sellers require the shipping address to be the same as billing address. Interesting note about calling the CC company to add another billing address, I'll give that a try =P

I don't think you can add another "billing address". It's actually an "alternate address" that you're adding for shipping purposes. The billing address is still the address your statements get sent to. If you try to set your billing address to the shipping address, it will more than likely fail the authorization check.

Some sites are starting to let you put a Canadian billing address now, but probably 80% of the sites out there still don't. (e.g. Newegg) I think Amazon is one of the few that let you put in a Canadian billing address and a US shipping address.

Also, don't forget if you order from Amazon, you're going to have to pay the 8.25% county sales tax since Amazon is based in Washington state.

bootymac 08-23-2008 09:42 AM

willystyle 08-23-2008 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bootymac (Post 5998440)
You could also use Point to Point Parcel or TSB Shipping

Have you used Point to Point Parcel before?
Cause it says on the website that I need to go there to register with them in person before they can receive USPS packages for me. That's pretty retarded.

and I can't use TSB, as they don't open on weekends.

What shipping carrier does Amazon use? upon confirming my order, it doesn't say the carrier they use and whether a tracking # will be provided. I choose the FREE SHIPPING option, by the way.

syee 08-23-2008 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 5998638)
Have you used Point to Point Parcel before?
Cause it says on the website that I need to go there to register with them in person before they can receive USPS packages for me. That's pretty retarded.

and I can't use TSB, as they don't open on weekends.

What shipping carrier does Amazon use? upon confirming my order, it doesn't say the carrier they use and whether a tracking # will be provided. I choose the FREE SHIPPING option, by the way.

It's almost always USPS if it's actually from Amazon. It's probably USPS Priority.

racerman88 08-24-2008 09:42 AM

no problems using the letter carrier. I always pay with paypal though and have their address as a second address on my account

hypediss 01-16-2009 10:25 AM

so if I have a canadian card with a canadian address what should I put on the billing address (assuming that it only lets you enter a US address) when I make my purchase..

syee 01-16-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gluzko (Post 6227814)
so if I have a canadian card with a canadian address what should I put on the billing address (assuming that it only lets you enter a US address) when I make my purchase..

That's where the biggest problem is. You can't put a Canadian address. Some sites are becoming a bit more Canadian friendly (like Amazon) where they allow a foreign billing address. You can try call them and see if you can place the order over the phone. Otherwise, you'll need to get a US billing address.

Durrann1984 06-24-2009 12:30 AM

i heard sometimes point roberts loses your stuff

has ne 1 shipped stuff to point roberts often?? whats your experience like?

slammer111 06-24-2009 04:55 AM

1. Call TLC, and give them your name and contact info.
2. Buy your item, and put YOUR name but TLC's address on the mailing address.

That's it.

Amazon doesn't care where you ship.

IMPORTANT: Bring a copy of your invoice when you go to pick things up, for Customs. I ran into trouble when my seller did NOT include a copy of the invoice with the package.

Also, do NOT try to fool Customs at Point Roberts. They know you're not there to sightsee when you go down there for 10 minutes.

InvisibleSoul 06-24-2009 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slammer111 (Post 6479892)
1. Call TLC, and give them your name and contact info.
2. Buy your item, and put YOUR name but TLC's address on the mailing address.

That's it.

You do NOT need to give The Letter Carrier notice that you'll be shipping a package there, so you can skip step #1.

Anyways, since this thread is old, I'll only address Durrann1984's question.

I've probably had at least 50 items shipped to The Letter Carrier over 7-8 years years, and I've never had any go missing.

The only bad experience was one Christmas season, they were so busy and had so many packages that they couldn't find all of my packages there, and I ended up having to go back another time to get the rest...

KaOsTiK 06-24-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann1984 (Post 6479724)
i heard sometimes point roberts loses your stuff

has ne 1 shipped stuff to point roberts often?? whats your experience like?

i've always shipped to tsb and i've never had any issues with packages going missing, etc. I've used them for about the past 4 years or so and i really like them :thumbsup:

Durrann1984 06-24-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 6480116)
You do NOT need to give The Letter Carrier notice that you'll be shipping a package there, so you can skip step #1.

Anyways, since this thread is old, I'll only address Durrann1984's question.

I've probably had at least 50 items shipped to The Letter Carrier over 7-8 years years, and I've never had any go missing.

The only bad experience was one Christmas season, they were so busy and had so many packages that they couldn't find all of my packages there, and I ended up having to go back another time to get the rest...

Thanks man

Gh0stRider 06-24-2009 10:54 AM

i added a 2nd address on my credit card for purchases shipped to the US.

Durrann1984 06-24-2009 10:57 AM

^^ is it necessary?

racerman88 06-24-2009 11:04 AM

I have never had a problem with the letter carrier. They have upgraded thier system now and can notify you by email when your package arrives.

Chairman Kaga 06-24-2009 11:07 AM

TLC and TSB are both good.

TLC has the advantage of being open on Saturdays whereas TSB is just Mon-Fri

Do yourself a favour and leave them yuor email address because they'll email you when a package arrives.

woob 06-24-2009 12:42 PM

I use Mail Boxes International in Blaine; I head down pretty often for other stuff so the extra distance isn't much of a hassle for me.

Oh I have a question though: Does it take longer to get something shipped to Pt Roberts instead of Blaine, seeing as there's a body of water between Pt. Roberts and the rest of Wa. (assuming Ground Shipping is your shipping method).

InvisibleSoul 06-24-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woob (Post 6480309)
I use Mail Boxes International in Blaine; I head down pretty often for other stuff so the extra distance isn't much of a hassle for me.

Oh I have a question though: Does it take longer to get something shipped to Pt Roberts instead of Blaine, seeing as there's a body of water between Pt. Roberts and the rest of Wa. (assuming Ground Shipping is your shipping method).

Nope, doesn't seem like it. I think it would get there the same day as it would to Blaine.

Not completely sure what they do, but I think they drive it from Blaine up to Canada and then back down to Point Roberts.

Chairman Kaga 06-24-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul (Post 6480377)
Nope, doesn't seem like it. I think it would get there the same day as it would to Blaine.

Not completely sure what they do, but I think they drive it from Blaine up to Canada and then back down to Point Roberts.

Thats exactly what they do.

TheKingdom2000 06-25-2009 01:55 AM

Dude,

1. Order your shit from Amazon.COM
2. Pay for your shit you bought.
3. Enter ;145 Tyee Drive Point Roberts, Washington 98281 as your shipping address
4. now you wait until they ship it.

That is it. If your package has tracking, then you will know when you package has arrived. And you can pick it up accordingly. If your package doesn't have tracking call/email TLC after 8 or 9 days and ask them if the package has arrived.
Phone: (360) 945-0515
Fax: (360) 945-0979
Email: tlc@dccnet.com

YOU DO NOT NEED TO REGISTER ANYTHING. it's $2.50 USD ($3 CDN I think) per package.

5. Declare what you bought - trust me, it's not worth not declaring it...pay the couple bucks in taxes to save you some heartache.
That is it.

edit; didn't realize this thread is old as eff..

syee 06-25-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann1984 (Post 6480198)
^^ is it necessary?

Yes it is. Most stores will check the ship to address and make sure it is on file to prevent fraud. It doesn't take long to do.

The other issue I've noticed is many US retailers online checkout system doesn't allow Canadian addresses to be entered. As a result, you can't really fill in the bill to section which may prevent you from buying anything. Amazon is one of the few retailers that will let you enter a Canadian address into the bill to section. Only downside of Amazon - you pay WA sales tax on your purchases that come from Amazon's WA warehouse.

Gh0stRider 06-25-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Durrann1984 (Post 6480198)
^^ is it necessary?

ya, the retailer would not ship it to that address unless it was linked to my credit card.

I use paypal, so it shows up as a confirmed address. some retailers wont sent to a unconfirmed address.