REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #4376
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 4,647
Thanked 508 Times in 229 Posts
So I took a look at the fake Sky kit. I put it on etc but haven't ridden in it yet

I have a feeling that this is probably something that ill wear on short rides and probably for commuting only.

The top fits okay. Because its made of a polyester jersey material there is no compression. The cut of the top is a bit off and is loose in the upper chest. Neck hole fits fine, arm holes fit fine. No gripper on the bottom so the jersey will ride up as u move.

The bibs... Multi panel, sublimated graphics. The leg grippers are TERRIBLE. The leg holes are a bit too tight and not forgiving (maybe my quads grew?). Did I mention the leg grippers are TERRIBLE? I foresee the grippers ripping through my skin on a long ride.

If ur gonna buy this you better lube up your legs, thighs and all the seam areas unless you have elephant skin.

It was $30 bucks so you can't really complain .... I expected this much.

I also foresee the material stinking very badly very soon. I felt pretty hot wearing it too so maybe this is more suited for the fall.

I don't mind taking pics. I'll post it tomorrow


Quote:
Originally Posted by kayceeee View Post
mind taking a pic of the actual kit if you get a chance?

kinda want to see the finish/quality on it.

thanks!
Advertisement
604CEFIRO is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 10:37 PM   #4377
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Work Truck
Posts: 1,680
Thanked 222 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Finished the triple crown today.

From Kits area it took about 5 hours

Hardest ride i've done so far. most meters in one day.

used 4 gels, 2 granola bars, 1 gaterade, and 1 coke mixed with water.

did a bit of gravel trails too near the dam which was nice.

Bike Ride Profile | Triple Crown w/ Jeff and Beau. Straight madness near Vancouver | Times and Records | Strava
Kudos to you, Beau and Jeff!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Spaceship_coupe is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 11:02 PM   #4378
i like gifs
 
Ch28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: imgur
Posts: 25,420
Thanked 6,099 Times in 2,041 Posts
Will Wong - Resident Triple Crowner AND Bib Short model
Ch28 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2013, 11:05 PM   #4379
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 4,647
Thanked 508 Times in 229 Posts
Hah I meant I'll take pics of the product LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #4380
RS controls my life!
 
PHATFLIP_14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 763
Thanked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Does anyone know any LBS that has good deals on energy gels? Preferably looking for some in multiple amounts. Want to get some for this week.
PHATFLIP_14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:14 AM   #4381
Better safe than Surrey
 
OTG-ZR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Main St.
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 911 Times in 235 Posts
604CEFIRO- you sir are a bad ass!
__________________
┐(`)┌
OTG-ZR2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #4382
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 4,647
Thanked 508 Times in 229 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys... but it's definitely something that all of us can achieve! I know mc.jolaika's first time out to seymour was when he did the triple crown, so i think that's even more badass lol

[edit]

i feel like death today... total jello

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 08-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
604CEFIRO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #4383
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,522
Thanked 6,347 Times in 2,497 Posts
For those of you looking for a new wheelset, Competitive Cyclist is selling the Mavic Ksyrium Elite right now for $559 (from $799.)

Mavic Ksyrium Elite Clincher Wheelset | Competitive Cyclist
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #4384
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: poco
Posts: 1,152
Thanked 251 Times in 82 Posts
arts cyclery has it as well

Mavic Ksyrium Elite S M11 Wheelset Black
__________________
2014 SWP Impreza 5dr Sport
2012 cannondale supersix w/sram red

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #4385
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Work Truck
Posts: 1,680
Thanked 222 Times in 71 Posts
Ooh. Thanks for the heads up bcrdukes. I just wonder if it'll work with my 9 speed setup.
Posted via RS Mobile
Spaceship_coupe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #4386
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,522
Thanked 6,347 Times in 2,497 Posts
It should. I believe it is Shimano/SRAM 8/9/10 speed compatible. Swap your cassette out and fine-tune your derailleurs, brakes and you're set to go.

If I recall correctly, you have a chain whip and lock nut tool. Should be a breeze for you!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #4387
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
dat_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 790 Times in 336 Posts
yay for mavics!

honestly i beat them up pretty bad...i act as a courier a lot at work and riding through gastown/chinatown over cobble and brick would un-true a lot of wheels but mine are still going strong. then again i'm pretty pinner..struggling to keep 145 and riding certainly doesn't help.

took a casual stroll around stanley park after work today and when i got home i got a new PR for prospect point...3:50..
this was me climbing while snacking on an Oh Henry too. boy, Garmin sure knows when to track me and when to go blank.
dat_steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #4388
I bringith the lowerballerith
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: poco
Posts: 1,152
Thanked 251 Times in 82 Posts
which means your PR must be like 2:50!

i wanted to get the mavics too but at 799 i couldnt justify getting it over the boyds. but im pretty happy with what i have. cant compare too much since i've only had the boyds and shimano rs10 lol
__________________
2014 SWP Impreza 5dr Sport
2012 cannondale supersix w/sram red

2005 G35 Coupe - sold
kayceeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:07 PM   #4389
Got MOD?
 
!MiKrofT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 7,901
Thanked 517 Times in 442 Posts
Anyone interested in grabbing my fakeddarlocks? They're good but they don't fit my head well.


__________________
[NS] Niteshadow.ca
My Image Gallery!
'95 Integra RS R.I.P.
My Feedback (50-0-0)


Last edited by !MiKrofT; 08-13-2013 at 09:16 PM.
!MiKrofT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:26 PM   #4390
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,522
Thanked 6,347 Times in 2,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
yay for mavics!

honestly i beat them up pretty bad...i act as a courier a lot at work and riding through gastown/chinatown over cobble and brick would un-true a lot of wheels but mine are still going strong. then again i'm pretty pinner..struggling to keep 145 and riding certainly doesn't help.
145lb is like..ideal cycling weight. When you are a big guy like myself weighing in at 200lbs, wheel strength, build quality and weight make a huge difference.

I'm no wheel expert but so far in my own personal experience, the quality of hubs and wheel's balance quality makes a huge difference. I'm sure spoke design, materials, and lacing play a huge role in the equation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
took a casual stroll around stanley park after work today and when i got home i got a new PR for prospect point...3:50..
this was me climbing while snacking on an Oh Henry too. boy, Garmin sure knows when to track me and when to go blank.
haha that time we went on the ride up Prospect Point with Wormiez, I'm more than positive your PR up the climb was 3:30, if not, much lower.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #4391
Banned By Establishment
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: ab
Posts: 226
Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
helping my friend selling his full 105 groupset 50/34 11-25 around 100km.
still in new condition. any idea how much should i list it
tipy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #4392
RS Veteran
 
bcrdukes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YYZ / YUL
Posts: 24,522
Thanked 6,347 Times in 2,497 Posts
$10 is my best offer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy
Fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
no one said being a hipster was cheap.
bcrdukes is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:51 PM   #4393
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: richmond
Posts: 4,647
Thanked 508 Times in 229 Posts
Alright so here's my review on the fake Team Sky kit off Aliexpress, or more specifically: Aliexpress.com : Buy FreeShipping 2013 Sky Team Cycling Jersey BIB Shorts Quick Dry Breathable Cycling Clothing (maillot ) Wholesale Bike Jersey from Reliable cycling jersey suppliers on iBike Cycling Jersey

Sizing:

I am 5 foot 7, 145 lbs. Chest 38 inch, thigh 22 inch. In Rapha (and all other brands) I wear a Medium Jersey. In Rapha Classic Bib Shorts, I currently wear size Medium, but they are a tad loose now (i used to weigh 155) and I know that I fit a size Small in the Classic perfectly. In the Rapha Pro Team, I am still a medium.

Aliexpress Size and Fitment:

I ordered Medium Jersey and Medium bib shorts. The size chart on the ad was confusing, so I spoke with the rep on live chat, and they recommended me to either order Medium or Large. I went with Medium size I'm on the smaller side.


The Jersey

The jersey kinda fits, kinda doesn't. It fits in the way that it doesn't look or feel silly, but it's baggy in annoying areas. I fit in the neck, shoulder and arm holes, but it's baggy in the chest. When I'm leaning over my bars, it looks baggy in the chest and flaps around in the wind. The length is okay, but the bottom of the jersey creeps up because there isn't a gripper on the inside. It also has to do with the elastic used. I think I could probably get away with a size Small

The Bibs
I know it's not fair to compare aliexpress bibs to actual Rapha bibs, but these aliexpress bibs are not comfortable. Not even compared to my $40.00 Funkier bibs from CRC.

The aliexpress bibs do not have flat lock seams. The bibs are multi panel, so there are large seams that run on the inside of your legs in areas that rub around quite a bit when riding. Keep in mind, i only rode around for 1 hour but my skin is pretty red and itchy right now. Even tho I lathered on huge layer of chamois cream.

The leg gripper is horrendous. It's raised rubber lines that dug into my leg. Very red and sore right now.

The chamois pad is thick in the wrong spots. They don't support my sit bones. It's very thin and I suspect will deform and not hold it's shape after a couple uses / washes.

I could have gone for a Larger size maybe?

Does it look real vs. the real Rapha Sky Kit?

Yes, from 5-10 feet away. The aliexpress bibs have sublimated graphics on lycra. The real Rapha bibs have a different lycra material and the graphics are screen printed on top of the material. When wearing the aliexpress bibs, you can notice the printed areas of the bibs have a different color black to the non-printed areas. Sublimated prints are done on white lycra, so when majority of the lycra has been dyed black, when you bend over the material on your ass turns white because the white lycra starts coming through. It also makes the seams look like they are coming undone because there's white coming through at the seams.

Would you buy them again?

The Jersey, sure. But not the bibs. I foresee the bibs doing more harm than good. They are not comfortable, at least for me. I'm not sure if going up a size would solve all of the problems, especially the raised seams. One of the most important thing for riding is a comfortable pair of shorts and these aren't it.

It's $35.00 for jersey and bibs so yea, you get what you pay for.


Pics of the seams, the rubber gripper and what it did to my skin after less than 1 hour





604CEFIRO is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #4394
Better safe than Surrey
 
OTG-ZR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Main St.
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 911 Times in 235 Posts
Did some SFU/BBY mountain hill climbs today. Experienced some brake fade for the first time ever. On the Burnaby mountain park decent. Stopped at the bottom and looked at my rotors....

__________________
┐(`)┌
OTG-ZR2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #4395
Better safe than Surrey
 
OTG-ZR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Main St.
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 911 Times in 235 Posts
How do you guys get the stink outa your helmets? I've tried Febreze but that doesn't do shit.
__________________
┐(`)┌
OTG-ZR2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #4396
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,813
Thanked 1,096 Times in 309 Posts
you spray fabreze on your helmet?

I use a stronger scented dish detergent to wash the grim off the helmet and regular strength laundry soap + hot water to wash and clean the straps and pads.
bcedhk is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2013, 03:32 PM   #4397
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
dat_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 790 Times in 336 Posts
yup same. i remove the pads, leave them in a bowl of detergent and hot water over night.

another caad on the market:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...997727447.html

54cm

I would offer $1500 for this simply because it comes with a good amount of upgrades (bars and fork)
dat_steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 02:39 AM   #4398
Better safe than Surrey
 
OTG-ZR2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Main St.
Posts: 1,503
Thanked 911 Times in 235 Posts
Going to soak them in some oxy clean over night... hopefully the stink goes away. If not, new helmet time.

I've had it for almost a year with pretty much daily use for the past 5 months, so i wouldn't be opposed to a new one either.
__________________
┐(`)┌
OTG-ZR2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #4399
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
hud 91gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,212
Thanked 1,652 Times in 648 Posts
Vinegar and water should work. You need something that will kill the bacteria. Take out the pads and soak em in some sort of mixture of vinegar, then rinse them out afterwards, unless you don't mind the smell of vinegar.
__________________
Crush - 1971 Datsun 240z
The Daily - A Boring Honda
hud 91gt is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #4400
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
hud 91gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,212
Thanked 1,652 Times in 648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Alright so here's my review on the fake Team Sky kit off Aliexpress, or more specifically: Aliexpress.com : Buy FreeShipping 2013 Sky Team Cycling Jersey BIB Shorts Quick Dry Breathable Cycling Clothing (maillot ) Wholesale Bike Jersey from Reliable cycling jersey suppliers on iBike Cycling Jersey

Sizing:

I am 5 foot 7, 145 lbs. Chest 38 inch, thigh 22 inch. In Rapha (and all other brands) I wear a Medium Jersey. In Rapha Classic Bib Shorts, I currently wear size Medium, but they are a tad loose now (i used to weigh 155) and I know that I fit a size Small in the Classic perfectly. In the Rapha Pro Team, I am still a medium.

Aliexpress Size and Fitment:

I ordered Medium Jersey and Medium bib shorts. The size chart on the ad was confusing, so I spoke with the rep on live chat, and they recommended me to either order Medium or Large. I went with Medium size I'm on the smaller side.


The Jersey

The jersey kinda fits, kinda doesn't. It fits in the way that it doesn't look or feel silly, but it's baggy in annoying areas. I fit in the neck, shoulder and arm holes, but it's baggy in the chest. When I'm leaning over my bars, it looks baggy in the chest and flaps around in the wind. The length is okay, but the bottom of the jersey creeps up because there isn't a gripper on the inside. It also has to do with the elastic used. I think I could probably get away with a size Small

The Bibs
I know it's not fair to compare aliexpress bibs to actual Rapha bibs, but these aliexpress bibs are not comfortable. Not even compared to my $40.00 Funkier bibs from CRC.

The aliexpress bibs do not have flat lock seams. The bibs are multi panel, so there are large seams that run on the inside of your legs in areas that rub around quite a bit when riding. Keep in mind, i only rode around for 1 hour but my skin is pretty red and itchy right now. Even tho I lathered on huge layer of chamois cream.

The leg gripper is horrendous. It's raised rubber lines that dug into my leg. Very red and sore right now.

The chamois pad is thick in the wrong spots. They don't support my sit bones. It's very thin and I suspect will deform and not hold it's shape after a couple uses / washes.

I could have gone for a Larger size maybe?

Does it look real vs. the real Rapha Sky Kit?

Yes, from 5-10 feet away. The aliexpress bibs have sublimated graphics on lycra. The real Rapha bibs have a different lycra material and the graphics are screen printed on top of the material. When wearing the aliexpress bibs, you can notice the printed areas of the bibs have a different color black to the non-printed areas. Sublimated prints are done on white lycra, so when majority of the lycra has been dyed black, when you bend over the material on your ass turns white because the white lycra starts coming through. It also makes the seams look like they are coming undone because there's white coming through at the seams.

Would you buy them again?

The Jersey, sure. But not the bibs. I foresee the bibs doing more harm than good. They are not comfortable, at least for me. I'm not sure if going up a size would solve all of the problems, especially the raised seams. One of the most important thing for riding is a comfortable pair of shorts and these aren't it.

It's $35.00 for jersey and bibs so yea, you get what you pay for.


Pics of the seams, the rubber gripper and what it did to my skin after less than 1 hour





As disastrous as this sounds, I think I may still order a Jamis kit. Thanks for the review. Man I make stupid purchases sometimes.
__________________
Crush - 1971 Datsun 240z
The Daily - A Boring Honda
hud 91gt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net