REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #1151
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Reviews online seem to be fairly good with their cycling kits. Albeit delivery times were a smidge slow
I've ordered some jerseys off that site before just to see. be warned that you are totally getting what you pay for - and that's a generic blank jersey that has logos printed on it made of generic dri-fit material. It will suffice for the casual ride here and there but after about 40k or so I started to feel uncomfortable ( due to the so-so fitting and design). They fit very very small - I wear a M and i'm a slim guy that normally wears smalls. But hey - at $25 a jersey its a great deal.

If you or someone here wants mine you're more than welcome to take them off my hands for the price of a McChicken meal lol they're just sitting at the bottom of my closet

edit: One is a Castelli in Black/White/a bit of red (M) and the other is a Craft Black/White (S)
Advertisement
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-07-2012, 06:22 PM   #1152
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Always nice to hear real feedback like that.

I'll stay clear of the jersey kits !
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #1153
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
^ Lol damn that's a big chunk of change!

Speaking of glasses, I don't own a proper pair of riding glasses.

However I do wanna purchase a pair of fake replica Oakley jawbones from cycling accessories - cycling sunglasses - OAKLEY Jawbone - MONTON Cycling Jersey,Cycling MONTON,Cycling Jersey,Tour of France

Reviews online seem to be fairly good with their cycling kits. Albeit delivery times were a smidge slow

I can't justify spending more than $100 on glasses. I wrecked my previous sunglasses so quickly... I couldn't imagine dropping a pair while riding.
Posted via RS Mobile
do you own any of these glasses? how are they (comfort, durability and fit)?
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #1154
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Some Rudy Project's on sale!

Rudy Project

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #1155
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I've been looking into the Smith Pivlock series for riding...3 interchangeable lenses and great reviews online. They are on sale at departmentofgoods.com for $83-$111 but have popped up before on steepandcheap.com for $57 (and I missed them ). The orange arms would not be my first choice, but if I can get them for under $60 there will be no complaints from me.

http://www.departmentofgoods.com/smi...max-sunglasses

Edit: just found the orange V2 max for $80 on amazon.com. Early Christmas present to myself?

Last edited by acrophobia; 11-08-2012 at 07:25 AM.
acrophobia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:53 PM   #1156
RS Veteran

My Spy Optic Screw is orange. At first, I didn't like them but I grew to like them since cycling is all about being flashy.

Jokes aside, I still see the Pivlock pop up from time to time on S&C.com once in a while. Keep your eyes peeled!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 11-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1157
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

I have sacalerts.com open on my comp almost all day scanning S&C, chainlove, and whiskey I (and my wife) hope I can snag them soon so I don't have to keep checking every 20 mins!
Old 11-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #1158
I subscribe to Revscene

i agree with bcrdukes - sometimes i love flashy stuff but only for riding. I had a yellow Mavic helmet ordered but it was too small so i had to sell it.

i wish my significant other rode haha such a good hobby to share. clock in date time while getting your km's in? hell yeah.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #1159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATFLIP_14 View Post
do you own any of these glasses? how are they (comfort, durability and fit)?
No I don't own a pair, but I will probably submit an order shortly.

$50 + $5 for polarized lense, + $10.00 EMS shipping which is around a week.

It's the jawbone glasses + 3 lenses + polarized lense + case + cloth.

not bad
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #1160

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i wish my significant other rode haha such a good hobby to share. clock in date time while getting your km's in? hell yeah.
It's a double edged sword having your gf / wife ride with you!

My gf and i ride together... I bought her her bike to begin with.

I've gotten better at it recently, but at first I was really bad with riding too fast, expecting her to keep up, etc.

But we do get to enjoy long rides together. We'll circle richmond, hit up Steveston and eat at Blue Canoe, then ride back home... We've brought our bikes on our mini getaways to Gibson BC and rode the coast.

Good times definitely to be had with the gf + bikes.

My friends are thinking of a trip for next year where the guys bike and the girls follow in the "team car"
This post thanked by:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #1161
I subscribe to Revscene

that's awesome lol i've wanted to get her a single speed but i'm pretty sure she won't ride it. instead of having them follow you, your team can draft behind the car i love doing that coming down stanley park but i chicken out after a bit because i don't want to get brake checked LOL

note on the montcon jawbones - when i was considering these before, i looked into whether or not real oakley lenses would fit in place of the stock ones and they unfortunately don't (as per bikeforums) would have been awesome if they could
Old 11-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #1162
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

if only i owned a bicycle
bugohoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #1163

Velodrome is happening again on Friday Nov 16th next friday
Old 11-09-2012, 11:21 AM   #1164
RS Veteran

I know I'm not supposed to post stuff here for sale but I will anyway since there's a litlte community here in itself.

Any of you guys looking for sunglasses, I'm going to have to sell my Spy Optic Screw (Matthew Busche edition.) 3 months old, clean and in excellent condition. No scratches and never dropped. Comes with original box, sticker, factory manual, one large and one small nose piece and SPY sticker. $100 obo takes it.

SPY Optic Screw - Official page and specificatoins

Last edited by bcrdukes; 11-09-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1165
I subscribe to Revscene

i'll ask my buddies i they're interested since i know they've been looking for that style...unimpared vision ftw!

are you getting something new?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #1166
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
i'll ask my buddies i they're interested since i know they've been looking for that style...unimpared vision ftw!

are you getting something new?
If you could ask around, please! I would appreciate it! I wouldn't mind giving you a finder's fee, neither!

Am I getting something new? Yes. As to what? I don't fully know yet. I went to the Oakley store at Metrotown today to try on a few frames. Half Jacket, Radarlock, Radar, M-Frame etc. One big problem - The frames don't fit my face very well unfortunately. They wrap around my face a tad snug, moreso noticeable than my Spy Optics (which I love.) The temple arms and nose pieces aren't adjustable neither so this is a bit of a bummer. Not to mention, They don't offer a warranty on their lenses and only 1 year on their frame. I'll have to go to a different store to give them a second chance.

But so far, it's looking like a pair of Rudy Projects. They have the industry's best warranty on both lens and frame and I like the fact that they offer the best adjustable options for my stupid head/face. I know they're expensive but sadly, I'll have to amortize them. They're up there in cost with prescription Oakley so both companies have me at gun point.

I looked into Zeal Optics. They were once known to be the best, up there with Rudy Project and Oakley but they've since been bought out by Maui Jim. Their production lab has relocated to Maui Jim's lab in Peoria, Illinois so lens quality isn't as good as they used to be.

For comparison sake, consider the following lens quality ratings. The higher the Abbe number, the better:

1. Oakley - 46. Proprietary lenses made in California by Oakley - all in-house.
2. Rudy Project - 45. Lenses supplied by Shamir Lens Co. based out of Israel. Final product made in Italy for European markets. For their US/Canada market, lenses are made in-house by Rudy Project in San Clemente, CA. Funny enough, they are 23 miles away from Oakley!
3. Zeal Optics/Maui Jim - 38. They are known for their polarized sunglasses and optical quality but has since been sacrificed and have not been keeping up with the two companies above.

I don't know where Spy Optic or Smith sits but Spy Optic is a relatively new company and new to the performance sunglasses arena. They strictly concentrated on lifestyle/active sunglasses and snow/ski goggles for the longest time. While the Screw is good, in the end, you get what you pay for. Their lens optical quality is nowhere near as good as Oakley, but they are after all, a much more well funded company. For the $100'ish I spent on these Spy Optic glasses, I've been very satisfied with them whereas an Oakley with these features would've easily cost double.

As you can see, I've done my homework.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 11-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #1167
RS controls my life!

Just picked up my first drop bar bicycle, and went on my first ride on a road today (16.5k). Lots of fun, and HOLY SHIT, was it cold.

Any recommendations for a decent iphone app, to track my routes and stats?

My Feedback
TurboTalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1168
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
As you can see, I've done my homework.
you've clearly put a bit of time into this LOL just bite the bullet!
that said, try looking into buying oakley's in the states..so much cheaper. i bought a pair of Holbrooks (not for riding) in Hawaii and it was about a 40% difference between what I would have paid up here - ridiculous!

@TurboTalon - nice digs! i think a few people here use strava with some success
Old 11-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #1169
Better safe than Surrey

I use Endomondo for tracking my routes. Works quite well.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #1170
I subscribe to Revscene

i forget what its like to ride without 30 layers on

at the gym today:
so i normally warm up on the bikes for a few minutes before i get my swoll on. i walk up to the bike, raise the seat and drop the bars down so it feels more like my bike and not a segway. So i'm just doing my thing, zoned out listening to music and going at a pretty high cadence when one of the trainers walks past me and gives me one of these: "ha! roadies...why don't you just ride in a comfortable position like normal people?" and walks away.

am i weird or does anyone else do this lol

Last edited by dat_steve; 11-11-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #1171
I LIKE JDM!!

Thanked 2,175 Times in 715 Posts
Delta watershed park all day everyday and the random trails here and there.

YouTube
Instagram
flickr
Twitter
Portfolio
european is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:08 AM   #1172
I STILL don't get it

nice spoon bike. the frame look unique

Quote:
Originally Posted by european View Post
Delta watershed park all day everyday and the random trails here and there.

benwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #1173
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

That bike is pretty clean! Now let's see the video you shot with the Go Pro camera.

Heads up if anyone's looking for SRAM Force (2010, 2011) components, looks like they've finally come down a little bit in price. There are brand new SRAM Force cranksets for around $140 on Ebay now!
If only I had more cash!!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:44 PM   #1174
I subscribe to Revscene

get on this!

Giant Canada
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #1175
RS controls my life!

Does anyone know if it is possible to change a 10 speed hub body to a 8/9 speed? I got a set of ~1600g wheels for cheap but I dont want to fit a 10 speed downtube friction shifting on my bike because then i'll have to buy new chains, new cassette and new crank...
thanks!
distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote