REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:59 AM   #1101
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
dat_steve - Are you commuting in the rain on your bike?
thought about it but i'd be a soggy mess by the time i rolled into the office. no showers
i'll probably try it once on a friday or something haha
Advertisement
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #1102
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,386 Times in 4,259 Posts
My friend ordered the MEC Secteur rain jacket in Large but didn't fit him (too big) but worked for me! $39!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #1103
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Nice score! That's a great deal!

Today turned out to be another amazing day for a ride.

Went out with the ol' boss again for a 70km loop from richmond Stanley park ubc and back. Roads were a lil wet but the sun came out at about 930!

I registered my first embarrassing fall! Turning into 7/11 at low speeds, my front tire chattered off the lip of the wet driveway and cause me to lay down on my right side. Pedal got jacked up but that's about it
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #1104
F30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post

I registered my first embarrassing fall! Turning into 7/11 at low speeds, my front tire chattered off the lip of the wet driveway and cause me to lay down on my right side. Pedal got jacked up but that's about it
Posted via RS Mobile
We've all been there. That is how I tore my shoe cover and now there is some duct tape on that spot to make it waterproof again
'04 Acura MDX Touring Black (sold)
'98 Honda Civic SI coupe Silver (sold)
F30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #1105
I subscribe to Revscene

the secret is to not look around to see if people saw you. just gotta pick yourself up like its no big deal no matter how hurt your ego is :P
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #1106
RS Veteran

Damn. Talk about lack of discipline. I went in to La Bicicletta and somehow managed to walk out of there $90 poorer and with a set of Sugoi arm and leg warmers.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #1107
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Duuuude... shoulda waited for the Sugoi factory sale.

Last year, arm warmers were 3 for $10 or something ridiculous like that (MidZero warmers).

It's every November. Word on the street is it's gonna be the weekend of the 23rd this year.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #1108
RS Veteran

I didn't need to know that.

Edit: I got the Sub Zero's but it didn't make me feel any better. I need some new shorts though. Sugoi seems to fit me pretty well. These MEC shorts are...pretty crappy.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #1109
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Duuuude... shoulda waited for the Sugoi factory sale.

Last year, arm warmers were 3 for $10 or something ridiculous like that (MidZero warmers).

It's every November. Word on the street is it's gonna be the weekend of the 23rd this year.
Just to confirm...this sale is going to be in La Bicicletta? Thanks in advance.
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #1110
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATFLIP_14 View Post
Just to confirm...this sale is going to be in La Bicicletta? Thanks in advance.
No. The Sugoi factory sale takes place at their factory in Burnaby. La Bicicletta has no part in the sale.

woob - Have you ever been to the sale? I'd hate to go, only to end up finding all the popular colours/sizes gone and nothing but loungey hipster scum taking up valuable space.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #1111

Quote:
I need some new shorts though. Sugoi seems to fit me pretty well. These MEC shorts are...pretty crappy.
you using shorts or bib shorts?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #1112
RS controls my life!

Quote:
No. The Sugoi factory sale takes place at their factory in Burnaby. La Bicicletta has no part in the sale.

woob - Have you ever been to the sale? I'd hate to go, only to end up finding all the popular colours/sizes gone and nothing but loungey hipster scum taking up valuable space.
I googled their factory sale, but nothing came up in terms of their exact location in Burnaby . Anyone know where its at? Thanks.
PHATFLIP_14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #1113

Quote:
As is the case with all warehouse sales, get there early. It pays off. I was ~20 in line last year.

The sale was pretty good in terms of sizes. Shorts and bibs went the fastest, so hit that up first, but people seemed to ignore the "Sugoi Custom" rack that had the cheapest gear ($15 bibs... holla!) and I was able to find my size late in the sale (by late, I mean like after an hour of looking at other stuff).

Fitting room was a shitshow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATFLIP_14 View Post
I googled their factory sale, but nothing came up in terms of their exact location in Burnaby . Anyone know where its at? Thanks.
Last year it was at 4084 McConnell Court, Burnaby. I'm sure the online flyer will get posted some time in the next couple of weeks.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #1114
RS Veteran

Quote:
you using shorts or bib shorts?
Shorts. But want to get bib shorts next.

I got a pair of the MEC Raddoneur shorts but after the summer, I am now down a size (XL to L) but their overall quality is questionable. Good for a few rides but after that, it does down the shitter. They never fit that well to begin with so yeah.

Castelli was my next bet for shorts but people always complain about their logos being washed off. Their stuff fits me well and so does Craft, but Capo hasn't worked out that well for me in terms of sizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
As is the case with all warehouse sales, get there early. It pays off. I was ~20 in line last year.
How early did you end up going? I'm normally not a huge fan of warehouse sales, especially if you have to line up overnight but if this is as good as people make it out to be, I'd be down for this.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-28-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #1115
RS controls my life!

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some opinions on how to set up this semi classic road bike. Picked this frame up on CL hoping to build decent road/commuting bike. Its a late 80s bike with 130mm rear spacing. I have a Shimano 600 groupie with 8 speed adjustable friction/index down tube shifters. I have all the cables, wiring, tires coming so I need some advices on wheelset to perform on weekend rides and seat/bar tape. I was aiming for a brown tan seat with matching bar tape.

Thanks in advance!

distanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #1116
RS Veteran

Brown tan seat - Get a Brooks seat. They come in leather only I believe.
Bar tape shouldn't be a problem. I believe Brooks makes a matching tape.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-29-2012, 08:22 PM   #1117

Nice project! and great CL score

I'm dieing to know how older vintage frames feel when riding them... whether or not they feel loose and noodley due to age
Old 10-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #1118
RS Veteran

Quote:

I'm dieing to know how older vintage frames feel when riding them... whether or not they feel loose and noodley due to age
Most older/vintage frames are steel. And if you've ever ridden a steel frame bike - The ride quality is pretty sweet. It absorbs all the bumps in the road like no tomorrow. There are different grades and manufacturers of steel (Columbus, Tange etc.) so some old frames can and will ride as good as new!

Sadly however, the world moved on from steel. Aluminum, titanium and carbon fiber technologies came along so companies were able to replicate all of what steel could do (or close enough) all while being able to cut down on manufacturing costs and whatnot.

If you ever go to La Bicicletta again (LOL ) ask to test ride a Marinoni steel bike and see how you like Campy.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #1119
RS controls my life!

Quote:

I did not have the luxury of riding a modern frame but only heard great things of the BB30. The only other bike I've ridden was a 26 year old steel lugged road bike which I fell in love with. I'm sure the steel frames will not stack up even to modern low end road bikes in long marathon ride but in short distances it should still be competitive.

The bike I'm trying to put together was really out of impulse triggered by a reckless purchase of the frame on CL ($300). With the groupie, essential consumables like tires and brake pads, plus some parts lent to me by my friends I manage to remain under $750. Which is reasonable because I still get a respectable bike and components (at least to my eyes).

Does RS have a bike group for the spring/summer?
Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #1120
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by distanc3 View Post
Does RS have a bike group for the spring/summer?
Officially, no.

We should definitely get together next season for casual at-your-pace rides (cuz people like dat_steve and Alphamale are freakin' beasts!)

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #1121

Quote:
How early did you end up going? I'm normally not a huge fan of warehouse sales, especially if you have to line up overnight but if this is as good as people make it out to be, I'd be down for this.
I don't remember how early I got there. I'd say ~2 hours before the sale started? Even if I had waited longer, I would say it was worth it. I had a pretty big haul.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #1122
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Officially, no.

We should definitely get together next season for casual at-your-pace rides (cuz people like dat_steve and Alphamale are freakin' beasts!)
Definitely. I'll watch all of you lose me while I try to change gears on the down tube
Old 10-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #1123
I subscribe to Revscene

sick pinarello!! i've always loved the shaping of those. dat fork
i find the key to making vintage-y bikes look nice is keeping them era correct ie. no sw8 carb0n aero seat tube etc. lol

i miss warm weather riding so much *tear
Old 10-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #1124

Get some rain gear and some Crud mk2 fenders and get out there!!!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 PM   #1125
RS controls my life!

Thoughts on rims? Think of finding a chrome/silver set with - small 20mm lip?!?
Posted via RS Mobile