REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #1051
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
+1
+2

Btw nice new bike bcrdukes. I'm mad jelly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Spaceship_coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #1052
Need to Seek Professional Help

Can anyone offer advise for the Ride to Conquer Cancer?

I'll be doing it for the first time in June 2013. My cycling background isn't as extensive as some of you guys here... I've been riding for 6-8 weeks this past summer. I live on the foot of Cambie and usually ride to UBC (about 30km roundtrip), or Steveston, or if I'm lazy, then just Iona Beach. In a typical weekend, I'd ride both days (taking different routes each time), for a total of 75-100kms.

Anyone done the Ride? What tips can you offer to a semi-noob like myself?

PS - I have a 2008 Norco CRD 1 http://www.norco.com/2008bikes/templ...&view=&deets=2

Last edited by marc0lishuz; 10-17-2012 at 05:36 PM.
marc0lishuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #1053
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,509 Times in 4,311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prelude_2_NV View Post
+2

Btw nice new bike bcrdukes. I'm mad jelly.
Posted via RS Mobile
Thanks! I like yours too! And thanks to dat_steve for the input and the extra push to get a CAAD10.

Sooo...I just went out for a short 15km ride and got home just now. Man, this bike is just that much better than my Diamondback. The ride quality is extremely smooth and the steering response is superb. Handling is just miles ahead from what I had before. And the SRAM DoubleTap system - I love it. So clean. So crisp.

For those of you interested in keeping track of your fitness (running/cycling etc.) Sports Tracker now has an iPhone compatible heart rate monitor for you Apple users. I use this on my Nokia N9.
Sports Tracker for iPhone!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-17-2012 at 05:59 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #1054
I subscribe to Revscene

glad you're enjoying it! totally jelly of you caad owners.

going to try this out next time i head out. I spend 90% of my time in the small ring in the mid/small cogs too. i do my best not to cross-chain too much but i never thought of doing the 50/50 type of set up the video mentions.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:08 AM   #1055
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

That's a big reason why I went with the standard 53/39 chainring setup instead of the 50/34 compact. I know I'm not strong enough to push a 50 on the flats with a reasonable gear in the back, and with a 34 the gearing would be too short. With a 39 I stay in the small ring for probably 70-80% of my riding and I'll generally run through gears 1-7 on it. I'll only get into the 53 for downhill sections and usually use 6-10.

Look at your actual chainline to see what sort of gearing you can tolerate with your current setup. 50/50 is pretty extreme IMO, the drivetrain can probably tolerate an extra 2 gears without any adverse wear.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #1056
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,699 Times in 446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0lishuz View Post
Can anyone offer advise for the Ride to Conquer Cancer?
I rode it this year. Are you planning on riding with anyone else? It makes a huge difference to have even a single riding partner. Learn to put in the big miles (~80+ km) for training and the ride itself (120km/day) won't be too difficult. Team OvCare does a few R2CC training rides leading up to the event that are open to the public. They do a 100km ride a couple weeks before the event.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #1057
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Lock up your bikes people!!

They arrested Gordon Blackwell, of Bike Rescue infamy...again. This time with 20G's worth of high end mountain bikes.

Bike 'rescuer' arrested again
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #1058
Better safe than Surrey

Had to take advantage of the good weather, Tuesdays ride...

Old 10-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #1059
RS Veteran

Ok. I just got home from a ride.

It is pretty damn cold. Managed to cheat the cold with a cold weather riding jacket but my legs - Tried on some arm and leg warmers - I need to pick up a set!

How are you guys fairing in this weather?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 10-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1060
Mr.Spahkle, So BLING it hurts!

Merino base layer long sleeve, sport wool short sleeve jersey on top, bib shorts, knee warmers, and a rain/wind shell on top. I have oversocks on as well.

Rode richmond to white rock and back today. Crispy weather and a redicalous headwind that's for sure!
Posted via RS Mobile
604CEFIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #1061
F30
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azncreationz View Post
Lock up your bikes people!!

They arrested Gordon Blackwell, of Bike Rescue infamy...again. This time with 20G's worth of high end mountain bikes.

Bike 'rescuer' arrested again
So we should expect court to give him a slap on the hands again?
'04 Acura MDX Touring Black (sold)
'98 Honda Civic SI coupe Silver (sold)
F30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #1062
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Costco is selling 100% merino wool tops for $20. They are cut looser than your normal base layers, but hard to pass up at that price.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #1063
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
Merino base layer long sleeve, sport wool short sleeve jersey on top, bib shorts, knee warmers, and a rain/wind shell on top. I have oversocks on as well.

Rode richmond to white rock and back today. Crispy weather and a redicalous headwind that's for sure!
Posted via RS Mobile
Care to share your route? I'm never sure how to get through that tunnel.

And wow. You went full out on this.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #1064

Here's the runkeeper tracking of the route my boss took me on today: Cycling Activity 86.31 km | RunKeeper

We started in richmond, east on Westminster out to Hamilton area, over the Alex Fraser bridge, north delta, south on king Ed towards white rock. When we came back we followed the bike route next to the highway. We mistimed the free shuttle from Ladner thru the Massey tunnel, so the gf came and picked us up and brought us thru LOL
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #1065
RS Veteran

Wow. I have to tip my hat to you for getting so "in" to this without much hesitation, especially with all the gear you got!

Was that route mostly "flat?" If so, I think I'll stick to East Van, Marine Drive, UBC, Kits and back home.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM   #1066

Actually it was surprisingly hilly after the Alex Fraser thru the residential bike routes. Also the sections into white rock on crescent road

It was our first time doing that route so we had to whip out the map to navigate here and there lol

And Yea I've acquired a bit of gear in the last while lol. Online shopping and the LBS can be dangerous :S

I do commute full time by bike so I can justify my spending habits to the gf heheh
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 10-20-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:42 PM   #1067
RS Veteran

What are you going to do with the Jake The Snake?

Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 AM   #1068

The JtS I use to commute everyday. It's got a rack and 2 waterproof panniers. I never enjoyed riding a bike with a backpack.. I get too sweaty too quickly

I use the focus bike only for rides outside of work.

Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by 604CEFIRO; 10-21-2012 at 08:18 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1069

Went to la Bicicletta to do a follow up to my bikefit.

Ended up walking out with a rapha brevet longsleeve jersey (includes a hivis gilet vest)

Lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 10-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #1070
RS Veteran

This is why I stopped going there.

Rapha gear -

This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #1071

DOOD I KNEW WHAT YOU MEAN ^^ LOL

the addiction is deep... hahaha.

For those who haven't seen this yet, an Australian tv station did a 45 min special on the lance armstrong situation, its pretty good check it out: Armstrong Doping Case Is Explained on Australian Television - NYTimes.com
Old 10-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #1072
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604CEFIRO View Post
DOOD I KNEW WHAT YOU MEAN ^^ LOL

the addiction is deep... hahaha.
Despite the addiction, the benefits are tenfold, mainly health. Can't say the same for the bank account, however.

Just got home from my third ride on the CAAD10 today. Cables are slowly stretching. I really need to get some knee/leg and arm warmers. These Schwalbe Lugano tires aren't bad for an entry level stock tire. Much better than the Continantal Ultra Sport tires. They were a living nightmare!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12100069.jpg (130.8 KB, 0 views)

Old 10-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #1073
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Despite the addiction, the benefits are tenfold, mainly health. Can't say the same for the bank account, however.

Just got home from my third ride on the CAAD10 today. Cables are slowly stretching. I really need to get some knee/leg and arm warmers. These Schwalbe Lugano tires aren't bad for an entry level stock tire. Much better than the Continantal Ultra Sport tires. They were a living nightmare!
Interested to hear what you have to say about the tires? I don't notice much of a difference between tires unless it's wet out.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #1074
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Interested to hear what you have to say about the tires? I don't notice much of a difference between tires unless it's wet out.
I'm a bigger and heavier guy so I can feel a lot more of the tire's characteristics whereas a lighter/leaner rider won't. Having said that, I've noticed the rolling resistance on the Continental Ultra Sport isn't all that great. It requires a lot more torque to get the wheels rolling and I find that the tire's compound is much too soft for my liking. I also find that they puncture too easily. I had these tires on 3 of my bikes (the Diamondback, Kona and the Scott) and man, I would always get flats and would have to change a tube or pull glass/rocks out of the tire only to patch them up the next day or find a slow leak somewhere. They were a royal pain in the ass and a major inconvenience to other riders when I went on small group rides. I pump my tires to 120psi for what it's worth.

Best tire I've ridden on so far - Michelin Pro Race 3.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 10-21-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #1075
I subscribe to Revscene

i wear these riding leggings (yeah leggings, what?!) from MEC that have have super comfy and warm lining inside. Keeps the wind out perfectly on cold rides, but they do not repel water very well. i think they were pretty cheap too so can't go wrong!
for my outer shell i have a pearl izumi jacket that fits super nice for a shell. flaps a bit in the wind but nothing crazy, and it folds up to about the size of a bottle so it can be tucked away in the jersey.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote