REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #24201
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
still crazy
hook grip hurts my thumbs
Advertisement
J.C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #24202
My homepage has been set to RS
 
The_Situation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,079
Thanked 1,544 Times in 502 Posts
is that bird coop?
__________________
"I grip the bar with no gloves because it gives me the feeling of gripping a nice hard cock"
The_Situation is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #24203
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
broken_arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 814
Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
still crazy
hook grip hurts my thumbs
The more you do it, the more you get used to it though. I feel weird when I use an over/under grip for some reason.
broken_arrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #24204
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
broken_arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 814
Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
is that bird coop?
Yup! Aren't you at UBC too? You should come out!
broken_arrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #24205
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 2,330 Times in 555 Posts
lets say i do it consistently on all my warmup sets (1x5 135, 1x3 225, 1x1 275) twice a week

approx how long would it take to get used it?
about a month or so?
J.C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #24206
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
broken_arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 814
Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
lets say i do it consistently on all my warmup sets (1x5 135, 1x3 225, 1x1 275) twice a week

approx how long would it take to get used it?
about a month or so?
I'd say so. I also did heavy barbell shrugs using hook grip. That helped quite a bit as well. You'll get a lot of burst capillaries on your thumbs, but thats normal.
broken_arrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2013, 10:33 PM   #24207
My homepage has been set to RS
 
The_Situation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,079
Thanked 1,544 Times in 502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Yup! Aren't you at UBC too? You should come out!
yeah i am. Don't really like working out there. crowded and small.
__________________
"I grip the bar with no gloves because it gives me the feeling of gripping a nice hard cock"
The_Situation is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #24208
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,584
Thanked 5,838 Times in 1,517 Posts
Hello fellow lifter brahs

Do any of you Brahs go to anytime fitness on king edward/knight street?

Looks like its a 24 hour cardlock facility, I wanna try it out as its a little nicer than SC and still pretty close to my house.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:50 PM   #24209
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 591
Thanked 169 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Hello fellow lifter brahs

Do any of you Brahs go to anytime fitness on king edward/knight street?

Looks like its a 24 hour cardlock facility, I wanna try it out as its a little nicer than SC and still pretty close to my house.
yeah i go. its empty now but slowly starting to get more packed thats for sure. nice gym, friendly people (no juicers or anything) its mainly newbies..... u gotta sign up for 1 or 2 years though thats the bummer part
jack3d is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #24210
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Fcukedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 1,984 Times in 657 Posts
Here's my input on it. I had a free 14-day pass that you can sign up for on their website.

No benches designated for flat/incline/decline bench press -you'll be resorting to two power racks. Plus, you won't be able to properly position the incline bench as there's two corners on the power rack that block its way.

Small, and has the exact same feel as a community centre but with a bit more machines.

You won't like the transition from SC to Anytime Fitness, IMO
Fcukedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #24211
Treasure Chest MOD
 
instantneedles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,795
Thanked 1,486 Times in 647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
yeah i am. Don't really like working out there. crowded and small.
Yeah I agree, I'm only going there because it's convenient and easy for me to transition between classes..

The gym attendants there can get quite anal about putting on collars... (i was benching 25 lbs on each side for a warmup, and they told me to put the collars on so the plates don't fall off ) It's not like I'm going to argue with them about it or anything though because it's their gym rules that they have to reinforce. I just find it kind of ridiculously stupid sometimes though

Also, no deadlifting on their floors... Only on the platforms, which are usually taken up by someone with a huge ass lineup of ppl begging on their knees for a set or a work-in

Other then that though, the equipment they have is pretty legit... bumper plates, two squat racks, adjustable benches, 4 bench racks, numerous hammer strength machines. I find that I never really have to wait too long for a bench which is awesome
__________________
Buyer/Seller Feedback

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 01:30 AM   #24212
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,584
Thanked 5,838 Times in 1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Here's my input on it. I had a free 14-day pass that you can sign up for on their website.

No benches designated for flat/incline/decline bench press -you'll be resorting to two power racks. Plus, you won't be able to properly position the incline bench as there's two corners on the power rack that block its way.

Small, and has the exact same feel as a community centre but with a bit more machines.

You won't like the transition from SC to Anytime Fitness, IMO
thank you, that's the response I was looking for.

I like SC because 4 racks + cross fit area for doing most of your compounds, and tons of benches. Looks like i'll stay.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #24213
My homepage has been set to RS
 
The_Situation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,079
Thanked 1,544 Times in 502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
thank you, that's the response I was looking for.

I like SC because 4 racks + cross fit area for doing most of your compounds, and tons of benches. Looks like i'll stay.
where's this 4th mystical rack that you speak of?
__________________
"I grip the bar with no gloves because it gives me the feeling of gripping a nice hard cock"
The_Situation is online now  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 AM   #24214
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
GFitTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 121
Thanked 172 Times in 39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
where's this 4th mystical rack that you speak of?
I was wondering the same thing.
GFitTrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:03 AM   #24215
The Brown Reason
 
BrRsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Whalley
Posts: 4,584
Thanked 5,838 Times in 1,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
where's this 4th mystical rack that you speak of?
3? I can't count
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes
fuck this shit, i'm out
BrRsn is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 10:55 AM   #24216
My homepage has been set to RS
 
The_Situation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,079
Thanked 1,544 Times in 502 Posts
fucking lulz I had a dream that I couldn't find any benches at sport central. A nightmare rather
__________________
"I grip the bar with no gloves because it gives me the feeling of gripping a nice hard cock"
The_Situation is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #24217
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,226
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
fucking lulz I had a dream that I couldn't find any benches at sport central. A nightmare rather
A dream, or do you mean every Monday at 6pm?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #24218
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Fcukedd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home
Posts: 2,920
Thanked 1,984 Times in 657 Posts
Any of you SC brahs going around 2? It would be cool to meet some of you.

About to start 2nd month of 5/3/1 with 2 hours of sleep. Tired as fuck, and really going to focus on glute activation. Scared for my back.

Last edited by Fcukedd; 02-04-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Fcukedd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM   #24219
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Richmond
Posts: 678
Thanked 236 Times in 90 Posts
Huh I've never had any of those problems at the bird coop (well other than it being busy). I don't think I used collars all month and probably deadlift on the floor 1 in 3 times I'm there. Sounds like the night staff are a lot more relaxed about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Yeah I agree, I'm only going there because it's convenient and easy for me to transition between classes..

The gym attendants there can get quite anal about putting on collars... (i was benching 25 lbs on each side for a warmup, and they told me to put the collars on so the plates don't fall off ) It's not like I'm going to argue with them about it or anything though because it's their gym rules that they have to reinforce. I just find it kind of ridiculously stupid sometimes though

Also, no deadlifting on their floors... Only on the platforms, which are usually taken up by someone with a huge ass lineup of ppl begging on their knees for a set or a work-in

Other then that though, the equipment they have is pretty legit... bumper plates, two squat racks, adjustable benches, 4 bench racks, numerous hammer strength machines. I find that I never really have to wait too long for a bench which is awesome
Posted via RS Mobile
kcl38 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #24220
I LOVE SQWAT
 
red_sir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,257
Thanked 660 Times in 219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Any of you SC brahs going around 2? It would be cool to meet some of you.

About to start 2nd month of 5/3/1 with 2 hours of sleep. Tired as fuck, and really going to focus on glute activation. Scared for my back.
Skip the gym, go take a nap!
red_sir is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 02:19 PM   #24221
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,226
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,526 Posts
Stanford researchers' cooling glove 'better than steroids'

Quote:
But the glove's effects on athletic performance didn't become apparent until the researchers began using the glove to cool a member of the lab – the confessed "gym rat" and frequent coauthor Vinh Cao – between sets of pull-ups. The glove seemed to nearly erase his muscle fatigue; after multiple rounds, cooling allowed him to do just as many pull-ups as he did the first time around. So the researchers started cooling him after every other set of pull-ups.

"Then in the next six weeks he went from doing 180 pull-ups total to over 620," said Heller. "That was a rate of physical performance improvement that was just unprecedented."

The researchers applied the cooling method to other types of exercise – bench press, running, cycling. In every case, rates of gain in recovery were dramatic, without any evidence of the body being damaged by overwork – hence the "better than steroids" claim. Versions of the glove have since been adopted by the Stanford football and track and field teams, as well as other college athletics programs, the San Francisco 49ers, the Oakland Raiders and Manchester United soccer club.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #24222
McFogg The Dawg is my homeboy
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,006
Thanked 1,130 Times in 286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
Hello fellow lifter brahs

Do any of you Brahs go to anytime fitness on king edward/knight street?

Looks like its a 24 hour cardlock facility, I wanna try it out as its a little nicer than SC and still pretty close to my house.
do you even lift?


anymore?

Last edited by kevin7352; 02-04-2013 at 03:55 PM.
kevin7352 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #24223
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: n zone
Posts: 2,602
Thanked 1,801 Times in 572 Posts
damn that gym is hella nice broken_arrow. really jelly of your platform. nice lift man, looks like you had a coupla more lbs in you
Sid Vicious is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 03:21 PM   #24224
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
broken_arrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 814
Thanked 1,360 Times in 315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
damn that gym is hella nice broken_arrow. really jelly of your platform. nice lift man, looks like you had a coupla more lbs in you
Thanks man. I tried to go for 515, but failed. I'll go for another PR in 3 weeks or so after Smolov. I personally like Bird Coop. It is small and busy, but I am still hoping that people will abandon their NY resolutions in the next couple of weeks...

Last edited by broken_arrow; 02-04-2013 at 05:10 PM.
broken_arrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #24225
RS Operative (G)
 
hal0g0dv2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: GYM
Posts: 12,723
Thanked 4,359 Times in 1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
Thanks man. I tried to go for 515, but failed. I'll go for another PR in 3 weeks or so after Smolov. I personally like Bird Coop. It is small and busy, but I am still hoping that people will abandon their NY resolutions in the new couple of weeks...
My gym is still fucking crazy busy
People have not got the hint yet grrrrrr
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net