REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #24301
J.C
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
strykn can have it
i have school
Advertisement
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #24302
J.C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnoutBinLaden View Post
I've been meaning to get fit and lift. The good news is that my school (Douglas College, New Westminster campus) offers a free gym to all full time students. However it doesn't have a power rack. My program of choice will be Starting Strength (I started reading it today, taking detailed notes), so the way I see it, I have three options:

1. Do runs at New West (T/Th/Sa) and lift at David Lam (M/W/F), which has a rack. This is my preferred choice if at all possible. Also it's close to downtown Coquitlam so lots of shopping and entertainment options post workout. However if the gym at DLC is only available to students who register for courses at DLC then that option goes out the window.

2. Pick an exercise program that doesn't use barbell squats, or barbells at all. (Eg dumbbell only programs, or bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym). This is my next best choice until I scrounge up enough money for a gym membership.

3. A commercial gym (Fitness World, Goodlife, Fitness 2000, Gold's Gym). Hopefully a last resort.

What do you all think? I think the most important thing is that I pick a gym, pick a program, and make it routine. I can worry about the rest later.

When it comes to supplements...when I worked out at Eileen Daily pool (don't recommend), I wojld get a half litre of chocolate milk is (after lifts and runs). Assuming I have it 6x a week at $1.25 per, that's $7.50 a week or about $34 a month. Some inexpensive whey and casein would be nice. Other than buying from bb.com and shipping to Point Roberts, what can I do to supplement on a budget? Or can I just stick with protein rich meals and chocolate milk?

If I broke some kind of rule in this post, I'm sorry. I admit I didn't search the thread before I posted.
i say do strong lifts 5x5 for the first couple months and transition into starting strength after. they are both very similar, but i think the extra 2 sets of 5 reps will help in developing form at the beginning
as for supplements, i say lay off them for now since your just starting out
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #24303
I don't get it

Okay then, I won't do a lifting program with dumbbells.

I was leafing through SS and it is extremely dense with a lot of kinesiology jargon. And power cleans were difficult since I have skinny arms and soft hands (same reason pullups are so difficult for me). I don't know much about SL so I'll have to check it out.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #24304
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Okay then, I won't do a lifting program with dumbbells.

I was leafing through SS and it is extremely dense with a lot of kinesiology jargon. And power cleans were difficult since I have skinny arms and soft hands (same reason pullups are so difficult for me). I don't know much about SL so I'll have to check it out.
notsureifsrs
PK6o4* is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #24305
J.C

skinny arms and soft hands dont really have much to do with it
its just a matter of practice and dedication

most people don't just walk into any gym and learn how to do a clean easily
Old 02-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #24306
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
I've been meaning to get fit and lift. The good news is that my school (Douglas College, New Westminster campus) offers a free gym to all full time students. However it doesn't have a power rack. My program of choice will be Starting Strength (I started reading it today, taking detailed notes), so the way I see it, I have three options:

1. Do runs at New West (T/Th/Sa) and lift at David Lam (M/W/F), which has a rack. This is my preferred choice if at all possible. Also it's close to downtown Coquitlam so lots of shopping and entertainment options post workout. However if the gym at DLC is only available to students who register for courses at DLC then that option goes out the window.

2. Pick an exercise program that doesn't use barbell squats, or barbells at all. (Eg dumbbell only programs, or bodyweight programs like You Are Your Own Gym). This is my next best choice until I scrounge up enough money for a gym membership.

3. A commercial gym (Fitness World, Goodlife, Fitness 2000, Gold's Gym). Hopefully a last resort.

What do you all think? I think the most important thing is that I pick a gym, pick a program, and make it routine. I can worry about the rest later.

When it comes to supplements...when I worked out at Eileen Daily pool (don't recommend), I wojld get a half litre of chocolate milk is (after lifts and runs). Assuming I have it 6x a week at $1.25 per, that's $7.50 a week or about $34 a month. Some inexpensive whey and casein would be nice. Other than buying from bb.com and shipping to Point Roberts, what can I do to supplement on a budget? Or can I just stick with protein rich meals and chocolate milk?

If I broke some kind of rule in this post, I'm sorry. I admit I didn't search the thread before I posted.
I would stick to the gym that's provided to you and work with what you have there. You mentioned you are a student, so driving to coquitlam to me seems quite impractical, especially if you are trying to create a routine out of it.

Might not be the best decision from a lifter's standpoint, but definetly a smart one from a student's perspective. Once your term starts it will be very hard to drive longer distances for the gym and lift.

Depending on how heavy your dumbbells go, there are alot of exercises you can do that can help lay a foundation for programs like stronglifts and starting strength that have been mentioned. ie. goblet squats, hip bridges, dumbbell chest press, dumbbell rows, dumbbell deadlifts. Just make sure you don't become a curlbrah and do curls all day.

It's not absolutely necessary for you to get fit, but if you want to seriously build some strength/muscle mass it would be vital for you to get into the compounds. Dumbbells just won't be able to stimulate muscle growth/ testosterone release as having a barbell across your back.

I'm not sure where you live, but since you used to lift in ED (i still lift there sometimes), you probably live in burnaby, which is a fair distance to drive 3 days a week. Personally, I'd ditch all 3 options and just spend that money on some gym close by to where you live that DOES have a squat/bench rack.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 02-06-2013 at 10:57 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #24307
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I recently got bumped up to Moderator for the #1 thread and section of RS - sports/sports entertainment and fitness. I've been a frequent poster in this forum for a few years now, and so I'm very thankful for this opportunity! Hoping to continue to learn and contribute to this thread with the new opportunities set before me as a mod!

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #24308
J.C

congrats!
Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #24309
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

School me on creatine. My order from BB final came and I ordered whey protein ON which came with ON creatine. I've done research on BB.com and it says its good, then some buddies say its bad for your liver. Thoughts?
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 AM   #24310
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
It could possibly place more a higher workload on your liver in high doses, particularly during the loading phase. There's been literally hundreds of studies on creatine mono though, it's perfectly safe for most people. Drink lots of water.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:41 AM   #24311
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Vicious View Post
well #2 isnt really an option at all, theres a reason every athlete on the planet lifts barbells with weights

and yes you dont really need whey or casein, you can stick with meals and choco milk

To further support this statement with my own personal experience;

I used a smith machine for squats/bench for the first 3 months of my lifting experience. I switched to the oval afterwards, and pretty much had to spend the next 3 months re-learning everything because the barbell was so different. I've never looked back because i've made progress leaps and bounds with a barbell over a smith machine or free weights.

I know for most people, that lifting/training is based off of each individual's own tweaks and experiences in the gym (form, routine), but some things need to be done right the first time, or else you're just wasting a lot of time.
Neomop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #24312
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
School me on creatine. My order from BB final came and I ordered whey protein ON which came with ON creatine. I've done research on BB.com and it says its good, then some buddies say its bad for your liver. Thoughts?
Pretty simple
Creatine mono / never buy pills or the other stuff like with stuff in it that is a joke
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #24313
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
just drink a ton of water
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #24314
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
The loading phase isn't necessary. Just take the 5 grams a day to start, and your muscles will saturate. It might take a couple days longer than loading with 15 grams per day for the first 3 days, but I found it easier on the stomach. I've done both the loading recommendation, and 5 grams a day everyday, and had the same results. There has been studies as well.

Is creatine loading necessary? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

Bodybuilding.com - Creatine: Fact And Fiction!
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #24315
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

hey red_sir, after completing the base cycle did you take a complete week off squatting or did you have a session or two squatting close to your max before maxing out?
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #24316
I don't get it

instantneedles, I found you to be helpful and understanding. I don't like it when noob questions are met with a mix of elitism, hostility and /b/tardness like on other forums.

Keep up the good work.

Also, for the record, I have no classes on Mondays and Wednesdays, and only until 11:30 on Fridays. If in the summer I continue to take classes at Douglas then I will continue with this plan (time allowing), otherwise I will have to pick a new option. Besides, I'm usually at the NWC when I don't have school, and it's not a hassle to get to DLC (169 bus from Braid, then 97 to Pinetree and Town Center Blvd)

Last edited by BurnoutBinLaden; 02-07-2013 at 10:40 AM.
BurnoutBinLaden is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #24317
kwy

Thanked 1,715 Times in 595 Posts
Noob questions are met with hostility when they are questions that have been answered countless times and can be easily googled. We were all noobs at one point or another, but people need to learn initiative instead of expecting to be constantly spoon fed. This post isn't intended as a shot to anyone.
kwy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 11:41 AM   #24318
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc95 View Post
skinny arms and soft hands dont really have much to do with it
its just a matter of practice and dedication

most people don't just walk into any gym and learn how to do a clean easily
Seriously, what are soft hands? Grip harder, keep working at it. I have the least labour intensive job known to man, and my grip ain't all that bad. All due to constant effort to go to the gym at a fairly regular basis. Stop making excuses and just do it. The only thing in your way is yourself.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 11:57 AM   #24319
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Seriously, what are soft hands? Grip harder, keep working at it. I have the least labour intensive job known to man, and my grip ain't all that bad. All due to constant effort to go to the gym at a fairly regular basis. Stop making excuses and just do it. The only thing in your way is yourself.
is your post directly at jc95?
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:59 AM   #24320

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon604 View Post
is your post directly at jc95?
No, rather the poster he was quoting...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM   #24321
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
I recently got bumped up to Moderator for the #1 thread and section of RS - sports/sports entertainment and fitness. I've been a frequent poster in this forum for a few years now, and so I'm very thankful for this opportunity! Hoping to continue to learn and contribute to this thread with the new opportunities set before me as a mod!
Give me a special title
Posted via RS Mobile
LC21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #24322
I LOVE SQWAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0uie69 View Post
hey red_sir, after completing the base cycle did you take a complete week off squatting or did you have a session or two squatting close to your max before maxing out?
I took three days off completely and then maxed out. I felt good and was too impatient to wait a whole week lol.

If you want to take a whole week off, IMO it may be a good idea to squat once or twice (low volume) just so you don't lose your groove. That's what I may do this time around. How is your back? Did you manage to finish the base cycle?
red_sir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 12:54 PM   #24323
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,390 Times in 586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Congrats. Great choice by whoever dishes out the power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC21 View Post
Give me a special title
+1
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #24324
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_sir View Post
I took three days off completely and then maxed out. I felt good and was too impatient to wait a whole week lol.

If you want to take a whole week off, IMO it may be a good idea to squat once or twice (low volume) just so you don't lose your groove. That's what I may do this time around. How is your back? Did you manage to finish the base cycle?
Back is a lot better now i rolled around it with a lacrosse ball and it did wonders for it. I wanted to complete the cycle without using a belt but i had to use it for the last three workouts to be safe.

I pushed my workouts three days after the original. I finished my last workout today and managed to squat 365 x 2 after 10 sets with 340 which was the max i used for the program, probably could have hit a triple but i wanted to end on a high note and save some in the tank.

I m supposed to max out on monday, but i might do it on sunday depending on how my back feels then check out the PL meet at the oval after lol

Last edited by L0uie69; 02-07-2013 at 03:11 PM.
L0uie69 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #24325

Thanked 7,174 Times in 2,407 Posts
Beyonce, do u even lift?

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold