REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #6176
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Mr.C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,269
Thanked 1,566 Times in 393 Posts
There are quite a few Brazilians investing real estate here too, and this just got published in a very pro-business site there:

Uma verdadeira bolha imobiliária se formou | Criando Riqueza

tl;dr Vancouver is horribly overvalued, if you have property there you should probably divest.
Advertisement
__________________
Have an E38? Check out E38Registry.org!

http://www.e38registry.org/
Mr.C is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:50 PM   #6177
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
josayeee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Downtown
Posts: 1,630
Thanked 74 Times in 28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
I doubt there's a significant difference between public/private schools in terms of quality of education. However, assuming the student attending either schools has average or above average social skills, I absolutely expect them to be better connected in the future in a private school environment.

Unfortunately, not everything in life is about how smart you are. If you sell widgets for a living and have billionaire buddies vs a bunch of scrubs who are scraping by. I fully expect you to do better in life, money wise.

Private schools consistently top the Fraser Institute's rankings for BC Secondary Schools. I don't know why that is or much about the Fraser Institute just thought I'd put it out there.

It's been over a decade since I graduated from high school and most everyone I know from high school ended up with similar careers/earnings to that of their parents. In my office, three of the worst employees we've ever had were UBC grads. One of which was fired after 3 months because he just couldn't get it.

Shit happens in life and the school you attend doesn't determine how successful you will be in life. But....if I could afford it, I would want to put my kids in the best school possible.

Last edited by josayeee; 05-11-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: grammar
josayeee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #6178
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 799
Thanked 40 Times in 11 Posts
What do u guys think about "pre-sale" on condos and apts? Do I need them to get in say a condo in Bby or Burquitlam?
imp>dom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #6179
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie
 
bcedhk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: 604
Posts: 3,813
Thanked 1,096 Times in 309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp>dom View Post
What do u guys think about "pre-sale" on condos and apts? Do I need them to get in say a condo in Bby or Burquitlam?
as in financially, or what?

lots of factors, but really is case dependent. for instance, here are some things that would come to mind for pre-sale

1. quality of the build.
2. any potential redevelopment that may happen around the pre-sale site that would affect the view, livability of the area? a lot of developments now are in phases so make sure you ask what the plans are like.
3. No clue who my neighbour is.
4. Potential delay of build.
5. that amazing rendering and model you see at the pre-sale site might not be what you expect in real life.
6. Have the commercial sites at the bottom been confirmed? I had a friend who bought a lower floor condo and the business that was on the ground turned out to be a pizza shop, so his flat smells like pizza during the summer when he opens his windows.
bcedhk is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:17 AM   #6180
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: not vancouver
Posts: 2,647
Thanked 1,936 Times in 764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josayeee View Post
I don't know why that is or much about the Fraser Institute just thought I'd put it out there.
Fraser Institute is a conservative (right wing) think tank.

all their reports are right leaning, so should be taken with a grain of salt (as should all reports / think tanks, etc.)
4444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #6181
SFICC-03*
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: richmond
Posts: 6,952
Thanked 1,469 Times in 577 Posts
bcedhk,

do you really get the chance to know who your neighbor is when you buy a developed condo either?
unit is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #6182
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,313
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Pre-sales has its pros and cons.
Pro's, buy now and only need to come up with a small down payment (15-20%) and the rest will only come into play once it is near completion.
No need to get into bidding wars.
Con's, there is a gamble you may not be approved for financing, if you only have the minimum downpayment.
Have to wait to move in.
No idea what the final build will be like. How your view will be and if you will get any sun light. You get a rough idea of the floor plan but until you see it first hand, it is hard for some people to visualize.
In times of boom, like it is now, expect work to be a little shotty as they are trying to pump out units as fast as they can so they can move onto the next building.

Things to consider.
Initial strata fees are only suggested numbers by the developer. After a year or 2 when the strata council gets going, they may find that operating cost may be higher and may ask to raise strata fees at the AGM.
Low contingency funds. Not that big of a deal since it is new, but a concern.
No idea how well the strata council will run the place in the beginning so it is in your best interest to take part of all strata meetings to get a better idea of what is going on.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #6183
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY
 
sonick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Revscene
Posts: 7,226
Thanked 4,878 Times in 1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
bcedhk,

do you really get the chance to know who your neighbor is when you buy a developed condo either?
You can get a good idea of the people living in the building by looking at things like the cars in the parking garage, condition of the garbage room, condition and cleanliness of the public areas, and reading the strata documents.

When I rented, my building had the following:
  • Ferraris, GTRs, Porsches
  • Bags of garbage left beside the bins even though dumpster wasn't full, large items left in the garbage room when they should've been hauled to the dump,
  • Paint (and other animal-related) stained carpets, scuffed walls and knicked wall edges

The building I bought in has the following (approx same build year as the one I rented):
  • Audi is probably the nicest car, otherwise new Toyotas, Nissans, and Mazdas
  • Clean garbage room with hose to wash things out
  • Well maintained public areas, recently re-painted/patched walls

Guess which type of people lived in the first building?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyxx View Post
Sonick is a genius. I won't go into detail what's so great about his post. But it's damn good!
1999 Mazda Miata - Weekend Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Current
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #6184
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
dat_steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,798
Thanked 790 Times in 336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
Guess which type of people lived in the first building?
Messy. Messy people.

dat_steve is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:17 AM   #6185
this is the hardest n***a of all time
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,492
Thanked 4,444 Times in 1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dat_steve View Post
Messy. Messy people.

__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/611711-glow-1-0-0-a.html

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #6186
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rich City / Van
Posts: 3,490
Thanked 4,837 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
You can get a good idea of the people living in the building by looking at things like the cars in the parking garage, condition of the garbage room, condition and cleanliness of the public areas, and reading the strata documents.

When I rented, my building had the following:
  • Ferraris, GTRs, Porsches
  • Bags of garbage left beside the bins even though dumpster wasn't full, large items left in the garbage room when they should've been hauled to the dump,
  • Paint (and other animal-related) stained carpets, scuffed walls and knicked wall edges

The building I bought in has the following (approx same build year as the one I rented):
  • Audi is probably the nicest car, otherwise new Toyotas, Nissans, and Mazdas
  • Clean garbage room with hose to wash things out
  • Well maintained public areas, recently re-painted/patched walls

Guess which type of people lived in the first building?


Rich cacausian people in the first, middle class asians in the second. toyotas, nissan, mazda , all japanese cars for the asians
__________________
Quote:
Hey guys,

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:43 AM   #6187
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Dragon-88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Van/Bur
Posts: 4,580
Thanked 1,142 Times in 353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Pre-sales has its pros and cons.
Pro's, buy now and only need to come up with a small down payment (15-20%) and the rest will only come into play once it is near completion.
No need to get into bidding wars.
Con's, there is a gamble you may not be approved for financing, if you only have the minimum downpayment.
Have to wait to move in.
No idea what the final build will be like. How your view will be and if you will get any sun light. You get a rough idea of the floor plan but until you see it first hand, it is hard for some people to visualize.
In times of boom, like it is now, expect work to be a little shotty as they are trying to pump out units as fast as they can so they can move onto the next building.

Things to consider.
Initial strata fees are only suggested numbers by the developer. After a year or 2 when the strata council gets going, they may find that operating cost may be higher and may ask to raise strata fees at the AGM.
Low contingency funds. Not that big of a deal since it is new, but a concern.
No idea how well the strata council will run the place in the beginning so it is in your best interest to take part of all strata meetings to get a better idea of what is going on.
Most pre-sales only allow you to purchase 1 parking space.. Need to save up anywhere from $10-20K for a second spot after move in date and no guarantees. For some this isnt a big deal, but for those who are looking to buy a place with their SO, parking is a big deal. Tip: When purchasing a pre-sale, have an addendum in the sale to state a price for a 2nd spot, also request it to be a large spot as there are different size spots. When we purchased our 2nd spot they wanted $15K, but luckly we had a addendum stating we get to purchase our 2nd (large) sport for $10K.



Within the first month of moving into my Condo, strata was raised by $20/month.
__________________
Cash Rules Everything Around Me!!!
My Buy/Sell Feedback Ratings

Current
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (DD)

Past:
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #6188
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,313
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
When we purchased our 2nd spot they wanted $15K, but luckly we had a addendum stating we get to purchase our 2nd (large) sport for $10K.
Had this talk with a co-worker and we ran the numbers.
In the long run, it may be cheaper to rent the spot than the buy it.
YMMV so it is something you'll have to research.

Same goes for storage lockers.
Renting it may be cheaper than buying one unless you have that much stuff and the unit lacks storage.
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #6189
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Traum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise, BC
Posts: 2,426
Thanked 1,765 Times in 777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Had this talk with a co-worker and we ran the numbers.
In the long run, it may be cheaper to rent the spot than the buy it.
YMMV so it is something you'll have to research.
How long of a "long run" are you talking about here?

I've been kicked out of my rental spot recently, and I can't believe how fxxking dusty / filthy the car gets from just parking overnight outside of my apartment complex. Makes me wonder if I am living next to a fxxking dust storm.

Traum is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:07 PM   #6190
this is the hardest n***a of all time
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,492
Thanked 4,444 Times in 1,780 Posts
same, it was cheaper in my friend's case to buy iirc
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #6191
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!
 
Hondaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Off-Topic
Posts: 26,831
Thanked 6,604 Times in 2,295 Posts
Dem old buildings wit dem $25 a month spots

Oh yeaaaaaaa
__________________
Canucks - ftw!
Hondaracer is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #6192
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 36
Thanked 21 Times in 8 Posts
+1 about the parking. The condo I live in now (vancouver) only came with 1 parking spot. It was 10k to buy the additional stall next to mine...I opted not to buy the second parking spot just because I don't plan on staying here too long..

So far no one has bought/rented that second stall! Fingers crossed it stays that way..!! I've had to double park on some late nights/early mornings haha -.-

A place I was looking at in coal harbour wanted something in the neighborhood of 25-30k for parking stall...crazy...
Porsche957 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:46 PM   #6193
Proud to be called a RS Regular!
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 136
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
Fraser Institute is a conservative (right wing) think tank.

all their reports are right leaning, so should be taken with a grain of salt (as should all reports / think tanks, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josayeee View Post
Private schools consistently top the Fraser Institute's rankings for BC Secondary Schools. I don't know why that is or much about the Fraser Institute just thought I'd put it out there.
Private schools also filter out the low academic kids (entrance testing / interviews) and special needs kids.

I would assume this greatly helps their test results as they are based on averages.
Scotsman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:47 PM   #6194
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.
 
SumAznGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Hongcouver
Posts: 7,313
Thanked 1,796 Times in 949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
How long of a "long run" are you talking about here?

I've been kicked out of my rental spot recently, and I can't believe how fxxking dusty / filthy the car gets from just parking overnight outside of my apartment complex. Makes me wonder if I am living next to a fxxking dust storm.

Need me to sub lease one of my parking spots to you?
__________________
Originally posted by Iceman_19 you should have tried to touch his penis. that really throws them off.
Originally posted by The7even SumAznGuy > Billboa
Originally posted by 1990TSI SumAznGuy> Internet > tinytrix
(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #6195
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 237
Thanked 191 Times in 55 Posts
Be careful with what they tell you at the pre sale. My building was supposed to have a level of parking for visitors and extra spots for sale, the developer kept them all and rented them out to nearby businesses.
Adorkami is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #6196
I STILL don't get it
 
superdennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 497
Thanked 160 Times in 23 Posts
Renting Parking makes more sense if you're buying pre sales now...
Marine & cambie, spots are selling from $50k and up
False creek close to $70k
Burnaby projects are selling in $20k plus range
Really expensive now, not worth
__________________
Feedback
superdennis is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #6197
RS controls my life!
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: vancouver
Posts: 799
Thanked 40 Times in 11 Posts
Sorry if I didn't make the question clear... I meant for the groups of realtors that represent you when you buy new condos/apts. They claim that they can get you in before the public and be helpful in a market like today. What I want to know is do I really need them? Should I negotiate by myself without their help and try to get a few dollars off?

Appreciate you guys' inputs though!
imp>dom is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #6198
hoppity HOP HOP
 
Spectre_Cdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 1,640
Thanked 1,238 Times in 380 Posts
You likely won't be able to get any discount on your own, especially in today's market.

You would use them to gain earlier access to the sales (more units to choose from) before they open to the general public.

The developer may offer a small discount if you work with them through a realtor because of their relationship with the realtor/brokerage.
Spectre_Cdn is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 09:36 PM   #6199
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
Bonka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,743
Thanked 630 Times in 272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by imp>dom View Post
Sorry if I didn't make the question clear... I meant for the groups of realtors that represent you when you buy new condos/apts. They claim that they can get you in before the public and be helpful in a market like today. What I want to know is do I really need them? Should I negotiate by myself without their help and try to get a few dollars off?

Appreciate you guys' inputs though!
Worthwhile to bring a realtor in if i'm buying a new condo?

If your only intention to use an agent on a pre-sale is to save some bucks, that is the only way, either through a commission rebate or through limited number realtor to client incentives (decorating allowance, % off, why).
__________________
SHIFT_

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline  
Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #6200
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,099
Thanked 1,586 Times in 721 Posts
The problem with renting a spot is availability. Most new buildings do not have spots that are owned by the strata corporation to be rented out by residents.

The going rate for a spot in our building is about 80/month. However, you'll be hard-pressed to find a spot to rent given the limited amount of street parking available. Depending on the cost of another spot, you may pay less on a monthly basis if you take on the spot as an upgrade and blend it with your mortgage.

Something else to consider is how the spots are assigned. Are they part of the strata lot itself? Are they under a separate lease that is assignable by the owner? Or do they form part of the common property?
Tapioca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net