REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #8676
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
^^ You know the city is expensive when McDonald's meal cost $10 and even those cheap HK style cafe, BB tea place are all $10+ for a meal.
In Europe the same meal would be costing you almost $20 so still a bargain.
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #8677
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Where aren't those prices like that?

Mainland Europe is all more expensive than Canada

In Switzerland a big max meal was $27 CAD..
Old 10-26-2016, 01:48 PM   #8678
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
In Europe the same meal would be costing you almost $20 so still a bargain.
Europe is a big place - please be more specific with your sweeping, generalized statements . In no way are costs similar across countries. (i.e. Greece/Portugal/Hungary is nowhere near expensive as Norway/Denmark/Switzerland and are indeed cheaper than Canada)

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 10-26-2016 at 01:58 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #8679
Banished to Fail Club

brentwood still do not have a T&T supermarket (or Foody World or h-mart)!!

so its still not comparable to marine & cambie in terms of convenience. investors, buyers, young first timers and Renters they all look for this.

ppl living at marine gateway can just go downstairs and buy fresh made sushi, drinks, or hot pot ingredients and finish shopping. go upstairs and have hot pot in under 20 minutes.

station square can do this. Brentwood can't!!!
Gululu888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM   #8680
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
^^ and have absolutely zero concerns about the garbage transfer station just a block away~
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #8681
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu888 View Post
brentwood still do not have a T&T supermarket (or Foody World or h-mart)!!

so its still not comparable to marine & cambie in terms of convenience. investors, buyers, young first timers and Renters they all look for this.

ppl living at marine gateway can just go downstairs and buy fresh made sushi, drinks, or hot pot ingredients and finish shopping. go upstairs and have hot pot in under 20 minutes.

station square can do this. Brentwood can't!!!
I'm not going to lie. I've never purchased from T&T, and have never heard of the other two places you listed. I've also only ever gone for Hot pot in Korea. lol Maybe i'm the minority these days.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #8682
I don't get it

For starters europe isn't so fond of GMO's and non organic garbage you eat in north america. Which is why there are so many more fat asses this side of the pond.
North America has some of the lowest food standards compared to places like europe and even asia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

Digitalis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #8683
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
For starters europe isn't so fond of GMO's and non organic garbage you eat in north america. Which is why there are so many more fat asses this side of the pond.
North America has some of the lowest food standards compared to places like europe and even asia.
except they import their food from north america?

clearly you're an idiot
m4k4v4li is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:08 AM   #8684
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4k4v4li View Post
except they import their food from north america?

clearly you're an idiot
No they don't. A lot of the food in Europe is grown or produced in Europe.
Of course, there are times in the year where they need to import as does North America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 07:51 AM   #8685
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...for-a-big-mac/

you got ripped off
Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:25 AM   #8686
G
Banned (BBM)

I heard somewhere that Amazing Brentwood or somewhere in Brentwood would be getting a T&T no?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:51 AM   #8687
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,325 Times in 5,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ax2-Y View Post
Well, some random website is definitely more reliable than actually buying the Big Mac in two different Swiss cities.

Also it was a meal not just the sand which. But dis ain't RE related..
Old 10-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #8688
linguistic ninja

dafuq are you eating Big Macs in Switzerland anyways?

Anyways, back on topic...sorta - Are China FOBs really basing their RE purchases on proximity to Hot Pot supplies?

Let's solve this motherfucking housing crisis then and build T&Ts out in Hope or some other bunghole.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #8689
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Side note I don't know if you guys unintentionally stumbled upon to the use of the big mac as a means of comparing Purchasing power, and parity.

But the big mac index is actually used quite often when discussing economies and it's actually a really decent way of comparing different currencies and economic factors. It's really informal, but because mcdonalds operates in like 120 countries, and the big mac is served the same way in all of those countries, it becomes a really good means to compare the cost of labor, land, and ingredients.

Since I like this youtube channel, here's a good video:

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:25 AM   #8690
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Sorry for going off topic everyone, you may now continue grossly exaggerating the costs of goods and services in Europe to justify the outrageous current cost of living in Vancouver.
Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 09:35 AM   #8691

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
dafuq are you eating Big Macs in Switzerland anyways?

Anyways, back on topic...sorta - Are China FOBs really basing their RE purchases on proximity to Hot Pot supplies?

Let's solve this motherfucking housing crisis then and build T&Ts out in Hope or some other bunghole.
I would think so because why else would Mainland Chinese live at Metrotown? Or Coquitlam Centre?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:41 AM   #8692
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,799 Times in 1,763 Posts
Man, why does the T&T in Crystal Mall smell so bad?

I had to stay in the Metrotown hilton for a course, and the smell from that place would waft up to the Conference rooms and make me gag.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #8693
linguistic ninja

dead animal carcasses

This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #8694
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

I had to stay in the Metrotown hilton for a course, and the smell from that place would waft up to the Conference rooms and make me gag.
fuckin durian, man.
dat_steve is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #8695
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,296 Times in 2,510 Posts
Steering the conversation back some old school RE discussion -- is anyone familiar with the area around Rocky Point Park in Port Moody? Say, from around Moody Street up to Ioco? We're considering an apartment / townhouse in that area, and I'm wondering what the pricing trends and prospects are like. Would it be smarter to go into the market soon? or wait a few months / year?

Obviously, the Evergreen Line is gonna start up soon, and I suspect that will be both a plus and a minus.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:31 AM   #8696
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,763 Times in 905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post

There's a T&T at Crystal Mall now?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:38 AM   #8697
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
brought nothing a but a fucking salad for lunch while working through a report

browse RS, scroll mid page and the first thing i see is a fucking big mac

fuck my life.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #8698
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Brentwood was one of the first places to bring all this density in one spot to Burnaby. There isn't much other allure than the skytrain, shopping mall, and the hope that it'll be great.

Metrotown was almost at the same point, but they are abit more spread out, with TheMet towers on the East. The towers going up along Beresford (Central Blvd) on the South, and Station Square in the NorthWest.

If you guys start digging around, Concord (IIRC) wants to place 3-4 towers on TheBay & Sears outside parking lots on the North side of Metrotown. If that goes through, I'm not really going to a shopping mall period anymore.

Brentwoods traffic will be 100% fucked once that development is complete. As no expanded road infrastructure is planned, just more traffic lights.
Kingsway infront of Metrotown is already fucked, and will only get worse if that development by Concord happens.
Lougheed & North Rd are terrible already, and with that development, not much can be done for ways of expansion. Another mall to get fucked.

Yet I'd still rather live in New West/Burnaby than Vancouver.
They're planning more traffic lights along Lougheed/Willingdon? Are you fucking serious?! It's already atrocious how long the wait is between lights here on lougheed in this area already..Christ I need to leave Brentwood
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #8699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Steering the conversation back some old school RE discussion -- is anyone familiar with the area around Rocky Point Park in Port Moody? Say, from around Moody Street up to Ioco? We're considering an apartment / townhouse in that area, and I'm wondering what the pricing trends and prospects are like. Would it be smarter to go into the market soon? or wait a few months / year?

Obviously, the Evergreen Line is gonna start up soon, and I suspect that will be both a plus and a minus.
Port Moody has already seen quite a bit of price increases over the last year. Prices for condos are now very close to what you would pay at Brentwood.

While there are a few newer low-rise buildings along St. John's, most of the dense residential is by Ioco in the Suterbrook and Klahanie developments. Suterbrook was built by Onni, while Khahanie was a Polygon development. Suterbrook has more of an urban, Yaletown feel while Klahanie is less dense. 2-bedroom condos are now in the 550k range, but they are typically 1000 square feet or more. There are rowhomes in Klahanie that are now in the 700K range.

Newport Village is an older development that has a number of low rises and high rises. The prices are similar what you would pay in Suterbrook or Klahanie. Some buildings were built by Bosa.

If you're looking at townhouses, there are several east of Ioco in the Coronation Park area. That neighbourhood is set for rezoning, so buying a unit there may not be too bad from an investment perspective.

The old heritage homes south of St. John's are going to be all re-zoned for multi-family over the next decade. Some of them have been moved for new rowhomes. These rowhomes arent cheap - they're in the 750K range.

Port Moody city council has taken a much more cautious approach to rezoning around the Skytrain, but my sense is that once the line gets going, rezonings will only accelerate. Murray St, which is right by Rocky Point is designated as an industrial zone, but the city has asked for a change in designation to multi purpose which would allow restaurants, retail, and possible residential in he future.

If you're asking yourself why you would want to live in Port Moody when Coquitlam is 5-10% cheaper, here are some reasons:
- closer to Vancouver
- it's more affluent
- higher gentrification in the form of breweries, bakeries, and restaurants

My view is that New West and Port Moody are the cities where yuppies will go to if they outgrow Vancouver or want to upsize. For this reason, I am quite bullish on these 2 cities.

Last edited by Tapioca; 10-27-2016 at 11:59 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #8700

Here's another thing to consider for anyone looking to buy along the Evergreen Line: TransLink will only be running 2-car trains along the entire Millennium Line until at least 2018. Considering the crowds during rush hour since the readjustment of the Skytrain lines, my prediction is that once the Evergreen Line is open, it will be full from day one until more trains arrive.

If you're a downtown commuter from the Tri-Cities, you might want to keep paying that West Coast Express premium.
This post thanked by: