REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-05-2014, 06:02 PM   #76
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,740 Times in 359 Posts
I'm close to getting into an E55 and the massive torque makes it a weapon on the street. This is a great thread and i've had thoughts similar to this driving around in a stock 2008 5-speed civic.
Advertisement
richardmozis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:04 PM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
I do agree with Jason's opinion about not being able to utilize the capabilities of his gt3 on the street. When I had my 996 gt3 the car was magical on the track (the car is 10x better than my driving abilities). However, I still enjoyed puttering around town in it. The car is a toy, that's it, nothing I would ever run an errand in. The car is loud, rough, noisy, and squeaks like crazy, but that's why I loved it. It made my e60 m5 feel like a 4x4. I have never driven a car with a more robust chassis and steering feel as my 996 gt3. It is 3rd car at best
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:25 PM   #78
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Actually this thread also explains why I always opt for driving a shitty taxi or some sedan in gta 5 rather than supercar (i'm so playing that tonight)
zentorno is best bro.

this thread has me yearning for a corvette even more. it truly does fit all the criteria i need from a car. its comfy, you can drive it around town and it doesn't drive you nuts. really need to experience one with magnetic ride though, the 2012/13 grand sport 3lt is what i want.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #79
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
That's more something I'd expect to see up here in Kamloops or Kelowna, not down on the coast. Well, not Vancouver or Richmond anyway...

So many 16 year olds have dads who want to be the child's friend and not the father
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #80
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
zentorno is best bro.

this thread has me yearning for a corvette even more. it truly does fit all the criteria i need from a car. its comfy, you can drive it around town and it doesn't drive you nuts. really need to experience one with magnetic ride though, the 2012/13 grand sport 3lt is what i want.

I drove my old roommate's C5 around a lot. The interior is worse than a 1988 Cavalier.

First gear went to 90ish KPH.

corvette c5 upgraded c6 rims

Fix exhaust, interior, tail lights and add gears... great car!
Old 10-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #81

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
I just recently rented a C6 Vette while visiting (Aka terrorizing) Napa Valley CA, the car was brutally disappointing in so many ways.

If only I would have ponied up the extra 250$/day for the F10 M5

Re: GTA5, I just hit 2000 player kills online, that might just be the single greatest achievement of my life to date.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #82

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
I drove my old roommate's C5 around a lot. The interior is worse than a 1988 Cavalier.

First gear went to 90ish KPH.

corvette c5 upgraded c6 rims

Fix exhaust, interior, tail lights and add gears... great car!
C5 interior is quite crappy. C6 's interior isn't the greatest, but it is decent. Considering the amount of performance you get from the car out of the box along with the looks, the "decent" interior kind of ends up being a moot point.

I could swing the cost of that car, but how much other work is it going to require? Not sure if it's worth it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I just recently rented a C6 Vette while visiting (Aka terrorizing) Napa Valley CA, the car was brutally disappointing in so many ways.
If only I would have ponied up the extra 250$/day for the F10 M5
lol.. i also rented a corvette while i was in califorina during the summer. the one that hertz has is the base 1lt with the automagic, so ya it kind of is shitty.. i actually didnt have any problems with the car though, i took it for long spirited drives and found it quite enjoyable. even drove 5hours from LA to Sacramento in it and was actually quite comfortable. now, my dd is an f150 and the nicest car i've ever owned was an a-spec tl, so i dont quite have the experience with cars as you do. oh and obviously the corvette is going to be disappointing when you've got a gt3 sitting at home...

Last edited by Gucci Mane; 10-05-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #83
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
I could live with a brutal interior for the kind of performance a Corvette has LOL.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #84
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight_KB View Post
I could swing the cost of that car, but how much other work is it going to require? Not sure if it's worth it..

Engine and tranny are probably solid for another 100k+

Get it inspected and read Corvette forums for problem areas to watch out for!
Old 10-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #85
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,280 Times in 1,968 Posts
Fuck you guys and this thread. My car ownership A.D.D. kicked in and now I want something else.

I'm buying a Grand National.

Spoiler!
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #86
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,925 Times in 3,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
I really think it depends on the person.

I autox/track regularly and I've spent enough time on track to drive like a granny on the street regardless of what I'm driving. I just have no interest in being stupid on the road, even at low speeds.

That said, slow cars on the race track don't do it for me anymore. I've driven past cars around tracks at 10/10s and literally felt totally comfortable ready to crack open a novel or start playing candy crush because the car just was not challenging to drive fast. My race car is at the point where it does things so much faster than I am used to in previous cars and gets MUCH higher speeds in places that where straight or kinks now require BALLS to stay flat. I could never go back from that.

A GT3 around ANY track, (even Mission) would do it for me. I would suffer daily driving it for the odd track day.

Now, SPEC racing with a group of IDENTICAL slower cars can INCREDIBLY entertaining for totally different reasons, however I would not be enjoying myself if I was the only car in my class - there has to be comparable competition.
Your situation is hardly standard though, most people (and most Porsche owners) will rarely if ever hit the track, and very few people will hit the track enough to get the skills and the balls to properly utilize a GT3. You need to already be a skilled driver to make use of a high end car on a track, or you won't stand a chance of learning enough to be able to push a supercar.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #87
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
I just recently rented a C6 Vette while visiting
ZR-1

C6 is child plays compared to ZR-1

If you want to go off the board check this out:

Spoiler!
Shark Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 07:03 AM   #88
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
This is pretty much the reason I sold my 2013 Audi S4 after 3 months. While nowhere near the Porsche capabilities it was still stupid fast for any streets around here. You could go from 0 - getting your car towed in like 5 seconds flat and it was hard to drive the speed limit without constantly looking at the speedo since going 100 felt like 60. I never had a ticket in my 14 years of driving and within a month of having this car I got my first. After that the honeymoon was pretty much over and I started looking at new vehicles. It just felt pointless driving a car that fast and not being able to use the power it came with.

Beyond that I hated parking it anywhere that didn't have like 3 feet of space on both sides, was super paranoid about it getting dinged and whatnot.

I drive a truck now and honestly haven't missed the car one bit. I cruise close to the speed limit everywhere I go now since going the limit or a little above feels fast enough.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Tank View Post
ZR-1

C6 is child plays compared to ZR-1

If you want to go off the board check this out:

Spoiler!
C6 is the chassis, the ZR-1 is also a C6 car, just with better go-fast bits.

Oh Shark Tank...

The issue with my rental Vette wasn't the lack of performance, it's how that performance was delivered and how the chassis communicates... and how terrible the overall fit and finish of the car is etc. I honestly can't beleive there are people who run the Vette as a track car, it must take some serious suspension tweaking to make that car feel planted and balanced.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 07:30 AM   #90

Jason, follow up on your question about e90/92/93 M3. Imo, they are the best value performance vehicle when you take performance, resale value, fit and finish, reliability, and styling into account. I have had my E93 Dinan S3R for 6 months now and love the thing for what it is....a four seat sports sedan that I can take my family out for drives in relative comfort. To me, the E92 M3 is best at doing everything well, but nothing really awesome. If you want a stylish peformance car that you can drive everyday (and in winter) with minimal hassles, the M3 is where it is at. However, from a pure driving experience standpoint, it is not even in the league of the GT3. Nothing is as raw as a GT3.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 08:39 AM   #91

^ Except a GT3 RS.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 08:59 AM   #92
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

What Z3guy said is bang on. E9x M3s are a great all around car--works well if you want one car to do everything relatively well. Many people switch back and forth between M and Porsches. I know many folks see Porsches as more sport, followed by luxury, while M cars are more luxury, followed by sport, and I generally agree with this assessment.

I have a stock E92 M3 and I enjoy driving the car. The shifter is typical BMW meh feeling, and you notice the weight of the car. My other car is an S2000, so there's enough of a contrast when I switch between the two--I enjoy driving each car for their respective strengths and weaknesses. Having said that, I would like a Cayman or 911 as my next car. And yes, on the street, when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic, I do sometimes think about how a non M car would be just as fun and cost less to maintain.

I've driven a C7 Vette on a track and Caymans and 911s (thanks Vegas!) and back to back, you do notice how much more balanced and communicative the Porsches are, regarding chassis, overall feel, etc. The Vette is a good car and the Porsches just feel that much better, IMO.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 11:33 AM   #93
Banned (ABWS)

Starting to read like a whole bunch of wanking going on here
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-06-2014, 11:37 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Starting to read like a whole bunch of wanking going on here
You would know.

#subjectmatterexpert #showmethegenetalia
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolepsis View Post
What Z3guy said is bang on. E9x M3s are a great all around car--works well if you want one car to do everything relatively well. Many people switch back and forth between M and Porsches. I know many folks see Porsches as more sport, followed by luxury, while M cars are more luxury, followed by sport, and I generally agree with this assessment.

I have a stock E92 M3 and I enjoy driving the car. The shifter is typical BMW meh feeling, and you notice the weight of the car. My other car is an S2000, so there's enough of a contrast when I switch between the two--I enjoy driving each car for their respective strengths and weaknesses. Having said that, I would like a Cayman or 911 as my next car. And yes, on the street, when I'm sitting in rush hour traffic, I do sometimes think about how a non M car would be just as fun and cost less to maintain.

I've driven a C7 Vette on a track and Caymans and 911s (thanks Vegas!) and back to back, you do notice how much more balanced and communicative the Porsches are, regarding chassis, overall feel, etc. The Vette is a good car and the Porsches just feel that much better, IMO.
There is a reason the previous gen Cayman R are going up in value. I think this is a far more refined and superior car to the 1M. From a pure driving experience (not speed), the cayman R is almost perfect for the professional and novice enthusiast.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #96
I Wanna Go Fast!

Thanked 2,393 Times in 587 Posts
OP I'm not sure where to start with this so I'm just going to let my mind flow:

First of all, having owned some of the vehicles you have in the past which are of relatively high performance for street application - you're an IDIOT for buying the GT3 (though you have excellent taste) in the first place if all you intended to do with it is cruise around the Lower Mainland. You could not own a worse vehicle in a worse location in Canada barring Toronto.

With a vehicle like that it's all about time and place, and with the laws in BC now even then you can't help but feel extremely nervous when getting on the gas. Not because it's genuinely unsafe for you or anyone else but because the police in BC have nothing better to do than tax road users. I know because I used to ride a 200hp motorcycle that can do 315km/h on the same streets. I had a lot of fun but eventually took it to and kept it on the track. A 100k Porsche is a pretty pricey track day-only toy so that option is out for you of course. However you do have The Ridge at your disposal, make use of it!

What you need to do is get that car out on the open road where you can enjoy it and that is not in Canada. Take a roadtrip down the coast from Washington to California. Go over the pass into Idaho then shoot south and carve up the mountains past Boise and down into Utah and Nevada. THEN see how much more you enjoy the ownership of a high-end Porsche. Pack light and plan only to stop when you're tired. The people you'll meet and places you'll see will make your face hurt from smiling. I've done those routes, and they are memories my friends and I still talk about to this day despite some of them being more than 10 years ago.

Don't sell your dream car until you've lived the dream first.
JDął is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 12:09 PM   #97
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
I do agree with Jason's opinion about not being able to utilize the capabilities of his gt3 on the street. When I had my 996 gt3 the car was magical on the track (the car is 10x better than my driving abilities). However, I still enjoyed puttering around town in it. The car is a toy, that's it, nothing I would ever run an errand in. The car is loud, rough, noisy, and squeaks like crazy, but that's why I loved it. It made my e60 m5 feel like a 4x4. I have never driven a car with a more robust chassis and steering feel as my 996 gt3. It is 3rd car at best
Serious questions. What do you mean by that exactly? Do you mean that you were not able to push the car to its limits because a)too physically demanding? b) You did not want to push the car to the edge?
I've never driven on a track before so I don't really know how it is to drive. Just wondering what it means when people say that their cars are better than their driving. I know some of it is physical(literally tough to steer and follow the racing line) and some of it is mental(scared to push it).
dhari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #98
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post

First of all, having owned some of the vehicles you have in the past which are of relatively high performance for street application - you're an IDIOT for buying the GT3 (though you have excellent taste) in the first place if all you intended to do with it is cruise around the Lower Mainland. You could not own a worse vehicle in a worse location in Canada barring Toronto.
Jason has the car in Edmonton, and this statement is genuinely ridiculous. There are so many amazing roads to drive around Vancouver, and I'd say its one of the best places if not the best place in Canada to own a nice car. Weather is nice enough to drive it 10 months a year. The ridge, pacific raceways, and ORP are all doable in 2 day road trips. Sea to sky is fun even at reasonable speeds, Duffy lake loop, Cypress, seymour, and I could go on. Not to mention the roads aren't beat to shit.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDął View Post

With a vehicle like that it's all about time and place, and with the laws in BC now even then you can't help but feel extremely nervous when getting on the gas. Not because it's genuinely unsafe for you or anyone else but because the police in BC have nothing better to do than tax road users. I know because I used to ride a 200hp motorcycle that can do 315km/h on the same streets. I had a lot of fun but eventually took it to and kept it on the track. A 100k Porsche is a pretty pricey track day-only toy so that option is out for you of course. However you do have The Ridge at your disposal, make use of it!

What you need to do is get that car out on the open road where you can enjoy it and that is not in Canada. Take a roadtrip down the coast from Washington to California. Go over the pass into Idaho then shoot south and carve up the mountains past Boise and down into Utah and Nevada. THEN see how much more you enjoy the ownership of a high-end Porsche. Pack light and plan only to stop when you're tired. The people you'll meet and places you'll see will make your face hurt from smiling. I've done those routes, and they are memories my friends and I still talk about to this day despite some of them being more than 10 years ago.

Don't sell your dream car until you've lived the dream first.

Couple things; He lives in Alberta with the GT3, not the lower mainland.

Other thing, if i'm picking up what you're putting down (driving "spiritedly" through the US is better than Canada) Avoid Washington state. From personal experience, they will arrest you at the slightest sniff of enjoying some of their beautiful roads.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
Old 10-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #100
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
dhari, what he means is that the limits of the car is well beyond what he's capable of.

that's likely the same for all of us on RS save a few..
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: