REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-04-2016, 11:43 PM   #226
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
You'd be okay if you're doing city driving, but I tend to follow the general rule of thumb and hold out until temperatures rise to 10 degree and above.

Mid to late March is when I swap out to summer tires.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM   #227
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Im gonna wait till end of February. I need to cut a notch on a hockey puck to place on my jack so it can go on the pinch welds before I lift the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey Specter View Post
When are you guys planning to swap out the winters for summer tires? I'm getting new PSS and getting them installed next week but not sure if I should hold off or not.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:08 AM   #228
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
i never put winters on this season

OH,
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2016, 12:53 PM   #229
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
A bit off topic but finished ordering my tires from Open Road Audi and they actually matched Kal Tire's price and discounted a further $20. Pretty impressive.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #230
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
When are you guys planning to swap out the winters for summer tires? I'm getting new PSS and getting them installed next week but not sure if I should hold off or not.
Once it's consistently over 7 degrees during the entire day (including overnight) then that means it's pretty safe to return to normal all seasons. You might run into the rare risk of snow over spring break, which had happened a few times in the past. But no real way to predict that sort of thing.

Most UHP's are only safe above 7 degrees, so if that's what you switch between then that's a fairly good rule of thumb
Old 02-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #231
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,727 Times in 894 Posts
What about old kinda bald all seasons that came with the car vs a pss with more tread?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #232
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I'd run the PSS.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 02:33 PM   #233
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
The PSS compounds are not meant to be as pliable in cold weather, but they still are designed to do a good job of evacuating water. Someone who isn't into cars would have a difficult time picking out the difference between a PSS and a PS3

If it were a toyo r888 or an re-71r then the answer might be different. But for just some wet weather hovering around 9 degrees (current Richmond temperature) the healthy PSS is a much safer choice then older worn out tires
Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #234
ISF
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Quote:
I'm running winters on my ISF and planning to swap to my summers at the end of this month if the weather doesn't get any colder.
ISF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 10:10 AM   #235
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I'll probably do it next weekend after I figure out how to use my new jack in the factory pinch welds. I see people modding a piece of wood or hockey puck to do it.
matrixfwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:14 AM   #236
My homepage has been set to RS

Looking for some opinions from RS'ers.

Gonna take off my Nokian Hakka's in a week or so. The front's have approx 60% tread left, the rears 40%, but they are 8 years old now (manufactured in 2008 according to the sidewall). The snowflake is still visible within the tread grooves of all four tires. Worth it to run another winter season next year?

I've read that at about the 8 year mark, winter tires compounds have deteriorated to a point where they won't have the same ability to stop in icy conditions. Thoughts?
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #237
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Depending on the source, I've read to replace tires every 5-10 years. Basically the compound hardens, which is really bad for a winter tire as that's one of the main advantages over all-seasons; the compound stays soft and compliant in cold temperatures.

NOAA is predicting neutral cycle, possibly entering into La Niña cycle next winter. So average, possibly below average temperatures for us. The past 2 years, we've been in the El Niño cycle, which is warmer than average in our area.

Climate Prediction Center: ENSO Diagnostic Discussion
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:31 PM   #238
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

genuine question...

do you really need winter tires in vancouver if you only drive inside the city? (Assuming you have all-season and not summer tires)

I know the "general rule" is that at 7'C and below, winter tires is better.
But i always thought that means: if the temperature is 8'C, all season will actually do better than winter tire...and the difference is probably minimal between 4-10'C.

I also see some tires manufacturer suggest all-season/all-weather tires do better on 5'C wet asphalt than winter tires. (which is more like 95% of vancouver winter road condition)
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM   #239
My homepage has been set to RS

A lot of people seem to hate on All-Weather tires, but I had the WRG2's for several winters and they worked well for me. I remember I was plowing through the snow in the big snowstorm of 2008. They are not good for icy conditions though, so you run the risk when temperatures plunge below 0.

Vancouver is probably the most difficult place for picking out winter tires. People in Cali ride on their summers all year long, people in Toronto should have the best winter tires money can buy. But us here in Vancouver? My Hakka's were great when I went up to Whistler several times, but for the past month I have been driving in wet and warm temperatures between 7-12 degrees, not optimal. I was taking a cloverleaf onto the highway a few weeks back while it was raining and my back-end almost slid out because it lost grip.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:28 PM   #240
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Bringing this back up in time for winter season. Toyo has dropped their hat into the all-weather tire game with the Celsius, and I picked up a set for my LS400. Considering it will be some time before I mod it, I needed something to bridge the gap thanks to the narrow price differences in dedicated winters and the Celsius.With only Nokian offering something in my size, the choices were limited until I found out about Toyo.

Will install and report when the weather starts sucking more.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:20 PM   #241
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
For those of us rocking SUVs, or trucks, I want to report in that the Blizzard DM-V2s are a great choice for studless winter tires for larger vehicles. Remarkably quiet, smooth, with excellent traction.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2016, 10:54 PM   #242
RS controls my life!

What would be an equivalent to the Michelin Xice2 & 3 in terms of price and how it performs in winter conditions? Loved it on the IS300 but want to try something else on the new vehicle.
jtrinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:48 AM   #243
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Picked up a set of lightly-used Blizzaks and OEM BMW wheels for $400 during the summer. Will pick up a new summer set pretty soon and put them on the newer, nicer OEM wheels.

The WRG2s are pretty much toast at this point. 8 years old, 90k on them. Road noise is insane.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:15 AM   #244
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I am trying to decide on a set of snow tires for my car. I am planning to go to bigwhite this year and maybe a few whistler day trip. Otherwise I will use it mostly in town. Should i go with WRG3 or Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV? Any other brand recommendation?
dinfung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:54 PM   #245
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I used a set of Hakka R SUV for my Pathfinder a couple years ago. Managed to tackle everything I coukd throw at it up in the Interior. I imagine the R2's are even better.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:47 PM   #246
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrinh View Post
What would be an equivalent to the Michelin Xice2 & 3 in terms of price and how it performs in winter conditions? Loved it on the IS300 but want to try something else on the new vehicle.
Blizzak WS80, Nokian Hakkapeliita R2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinfung View Post
I am trying to decide on a set of tires for my car. I am planning to go to bigwhite this year and maybe a few whistler day trip. Otherwise I will use it mostly in town. Should i go with WRG3 or Hakkapeliitta R2 SUV? Any other brand recommendation?
R2 SUV. They were amazing tires on my Forester before I switched vehicles. Not the best in the dry but unbeatable in snow and ice. Very good control, even at the limit, and goat like grip for non-studded tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I used a set of Hakka R SUV for my Pathfinder a couple years ago. Managed to tackle everything I coukd throw at it up in the Interior. I imagine the R2's are even better.
I got to compare the R2 and the Hakka 7 studded and the R2 was pretty much as good without the road noise and vibration. They were on small CUVs but not the same vehicle unfortunately.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #247
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I use the Blizzaks DMV-1 for my RX and the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 for Mini.

The Blizzaks are great on ice and snow, but wear down faster on dry pavement. The Alpin PA2 I find don't wear down as fast, but on ice they're not comparable to the Blizzak DMV-1's.
bokch0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #248
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Fall is here, freebies! : http://www.revscene.net/forums/71043...ml#post8790199

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:51 PM   #249
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
It's almost that time.....how many have slapped on their winter tires for city driving?
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 03:06 PM   #250
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
Will be putting mine some time next week depending on how busy it is at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari