REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #1476
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
After driving my dad's stock Highlander around on the factory all seasons in all kinds of snow conditions in the lower mainland I cannot imagine why any somewhat proper SUV needs snow tires locally.
Besides ride height, SUVs have no inherent advantages over a regular car in the snow. If anything the fact that they stop and turn worse makes them need winter tires more than a regular car.

I think winter tires in Vancouver is ultimately a preference and situation for people - we don't get a tonne of snow and we get a relatively low number of icy days. For me, it's worth the money to ensure I can travel where I need to when I need and to have that extra bit of safety - my wife certainly feels more comfortable driving with winters than all-seasons.

Situation wise, places like Coquitlam and some parts of Burnaby are not particularly drivable when it snows, same with parts of the North Shore. I've driven past many a car and SUV stuck in the snow after work on roads like Moscrop and even on Willingdon (rare).
Advertisement

Last edited by supafamous; 11-10-2019 at 09:21 AM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2019, 09:38 AM   #1477
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
Being stuck in snow with an SUV and all seasons is the cheapest part of inconvenience. Crashing your SUV because of lack of deceleration/lateral grip is the much more expensive part compared to just purchasing winters. When I was traveling on highway one and even highway 99 in snow dumps, rarely did I see passenger “cars” in the ditch or crashed. It was usually SUVs and trucks. There is quite a confidence that an SUV appears to give but they do not have any entitlement to physics. Our Sienna AWD handles great in deep snow with all seasons and I think it would be hard to get yourself stuck with a little bit of common sense. When I put Hakkapeliitta winters on the vehicle for the next year, snow handling changed dramatically.

There is a balance and for some people they can’t just go all out on every security expense. If we could, we’d all be driving G wagens and Range Rovers in the snow. But if you have winters on, it’s not like you’ve lost money long term. Since your non winter tires are stored and not being worn out while you winter tire.

I’ve had a handful of occasions where winter tires have made the difference of avoiding someone who has lost control or being slammed into them. While that’s probably a low percentage chance of it happening (using common sense) to you during any given snowfall drive, it’s up to your balance of peace of mind to yourself and others around you.
Old 11-10-2019, 10:18 AM   #1478
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
xice were terrible this morning with the fog

nothing like a 4000lb powerslide to wake you up

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #1479

Thanked 3,735 Times in 955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
xice were terrible this morning with the fog

nothing like a 4000lb powerslide to wake you up
To be fair, they never advertised Xice for fog. You need fog tires for fog. Not ice tires.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #1480
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Besides ride height, SUVs have no inherent advantages over a regular car in the snow. If anything the fact that they stop and turn worse makes them need winter tires more than a regular car.
They're also heavier and harder to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverT View Post
When I was traveling on highway one and even highway 99 in snow dumps, rarely did I see passenger “cars” in the ditch or crashed. It was usually SUVs and trucks. There is quite a confidence that an SUV appears to give but they do not have any entitlement to physics.
It's almost always a truck or newer SUV. If it is a car it's usually a Subaru. Trucks have more clearance and more weight so they tend to make it further from the road before stopping because they tried to drive out of it.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #1481
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Anyone have experience with Costco's road hazard warranty?

On a road trip right now and noticed a chunk missing out of our 3 year old Blizzak WS80s.

As the 90s are out now, would they replace with that? And would the warranty cover the second tire on the same axle as well (due to significant difference in tread depth with new)?

I'll call when back across the border but I know 320i lurks here...
Old 11-10-2019, 04:45 PM   #1482
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,420 Times in 5,101 Posts
I think the biggest problem with most SUV’s is they don’t even come with all seasons... they come with performance tires... so that’s a non-starter regardless of the vehicle’s capabilities.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #1483

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
To be fair, they never advertised Xice for fog. You need fog tires for fog. Not ice tires.
they are shit on ice too

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 11-11-2019, 05:32 PM   #1484
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,182 Times in 356 Posts
Quote:
they are shit on ice too
And the slush.

Great on dry roads tho, quieter than MXM4 imo!

Past:
- '09 Ducati Monster 696 "Ketchup"
- '20 Dodge Charger R/T 5.7
- '20 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
- '04 Acura TL 6MT
- 🛴 Lime Scooter 🛴
- '19 Toyota Camry LE
- '16 Golf 1.8T
- '09 MB E63 AMG
- '06 Honda Accord V6
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #1485

Quote:
they are shit on ice too
Thats what studz are for.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #1486
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
WTB: Fog tires

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-12-2019, 08:33 AM   #1487
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Hey Guys I'm looking for a new set of tires for my Audi S6. My tire size is 255/35/20

I'm leaning towards Continental DWS06 but I'll be running them all year. Would this tire be a good A/S tire to drive around in? My car came w/ performance tires and I need to replace them.

I also have a SUV at home that I was thinking of getting the same tires as strictly winter tires (will run stock tires on the drier months)
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:36 AM   #1488

Thanked 4,530 Times in 1,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
Hey Guys I'm looking for a new set of tires for my Audi S6. My tire size is 255/35/20

I'm leaning towards Continental DWS06 but I'll be running them all year. Would this tire be a good A/S tire to drive around in? My car came w/ performance tires and I need to replace them.

I also have a SUV at home that I was thinking of getting the same tires as strictly winter tires (will run stock tires on the drier months)
Well for starters, where do you live? Do you go to work in the morning before they plow?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
Well for starters, where do you live? Do you go to work in the morning before they plow?
Also:
- Do you need to be able to get somewhere regardless of weather conditions?
- What routes do you drive that are essential?
- Are there places you plan on going that are outside of your regular zone? Eg. Whistler or Westwood Plateau or the Malahat
Old 11-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #1490
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post

If ur gonna have stock tires for the drier months then y aren’t u buying dedicated winter tires for the SUV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #1491

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/c...ires-snow-ice/

Maybe not news to us but a pretty decent writeup about the different types of winter tires available that you can share with friends and family who are considering winter tires.

FWIW, I got the Continental WinterContact TS850 P that they mention in the article. In dry conditions I've been super impressed - great steering response and ride. None of the squishiness that comes with Blizzak or X-Ice tires.
Old 11-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #1492

You guys doing Nurburgring runs in Richmond working your apexes or something in the winter? Steering responses on snow tires...
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2019, 06:59 AM   #1493
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,172 Times in 2,405 Posts
Quote:
You guys doing Nurburgring runs in Richmond working your apexes or something in the winter? Steering responses on snow tires...
Hazelbridge Canadian Tire to Lansdowne togue stage.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM   #1494

Quote:
Southbound on Boundary onto Joyce man, how am I supposed to go sideways through there in the winter properly.

I like to have winter tires (not snows) that feel like I'm not driving a boat and I don't need the snow chomper grade tires anyways (Blizzaks, Nokians, Altimax Arctic)
Old 11-14-2019, 08:46 AM   #1495
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
I live in the Victoria/Marine area and its a lot of hills in the inside streets. They don't plow the inside streets and sometimes plow Victoria Drive. I work in Richmond so relatively safe (myself, not other people driving). I'd still prefer M+S because my original stock tires that were brand new was slipping and sliding when I tried driving in fresh snow (1cm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPEC View Post
If ur gonna have stock tires for the drier months then y aren’t u buying dedicated winter tires for the SUV?
I thought of getting dedicated winter tires for SUV but mostly when my mom drives it or when I take it up the ski hills. Are there better options? Due to previous experience I will be buying wheels + tires. Had tires / wheel damage when they change it back and forth.

Audi is my daily driver
SUV is the car my mom and I share (when I need it).
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #1496
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
If you want less floaty feeling snow tires get something like the Hankook i*Pike W419, they've got really stiff sidewalls.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 06:55 PM   #1497

got some conti wintercontact si+ from cambodian tire for $184 instead of $249

pretty good in the rain so far

Quote:

dapperfied yraisis

FastAnna i really cant
Old 11-24-2019, 07:01 PM   #1498
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
FWIW, I got the Continental WinterContact TS850 P that they mention in the article. In dry conditions I've been super impressed - great steering response and ride. None of the squishiness that comes with Blizzak or X-Ice tires.
Just put my new Blizzak WS90s on my Mazda 3 and even though I'm going from 18" summer tires --> 16" Blizzaks, the WS90s are leaps and bounds better than the WS70s I had which were squishy AF.

These tires ride great, I am a huge fan.

-Mark
Old 11-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #1499
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Thanked 1,393 Times in 191 Posts
Good to know about WS90s!! Just jacked up and mounted Hakkapeliitta winters on our Sienna AWD today so it’s good for winter beast mode!
Old 11-24-2019, 07:51 PM   #1500
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
Ws90’s are twice as heavy as the old ws80 and the sidewall is significantly stiffer. Hopefully they’ve also improved the tread life