REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #2251
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
At this point, try Stetcher out on the wing. He'll fly out there with Horvat.
Advertisement
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:15 AM   #2252
(╯°□°)╯聽不到 ╮(°□°╮)

Thanked 11,196 Times in 2,276 Posts
could be...

since Connor McJesus is the next big thing, tsn posted a chapter from Bob McKenzie's book from a few years back chronicling the story of Connor McDavid.. doesn't mention draft, but the kid was making bank before he even played an NHL game.. its a very very big read..

Growing Up Exceptional: Connor McDavid and the Chosen Few Navigate the Great Canadian Torture Test - Article - TSN

TLR? Connor McJesus is a humble kid. Very supportive parents, and basically followed the foot steps of Tavares and Ekblad to the OHL.. who were heavily tested on a maturity level to be granted exceptional status as a 15 year old
Tim Budong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #2253
My homepage has been set to RS

stecher most likely odd man out tonight....still don't know why Larsen is still in the line up! JB trying to not look like an idiot with Larsen so WD keeping him in for pp but guy is useless out there.
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #2254
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Larsen is this year's tank commander.

Sbisa-Larsen is the ultimate tank combo. I know the sample size is pretty small but they're easily the worst NHL pairing by miles.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM   #2255

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaz View Post
i dont understand why people start bitching about this. until sbisa hits that gp mark, biega has to be up on the team as an extra
Because Biega is taking up a roster spot. No one is gonna claim him on waivers if he gets sent down. If he does, meh.

I've thought about it and really how hard is it to find a dman that'd fit this requirement.

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Ex-Tank Commander Bartkowski is an FA and will be more than happy to sign league min to be exposed.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 08:36 AM   #2256
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Problem is that when Vegas doesn't take him, we'll be stuck with Tank Commander Bartkowski next year, too.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #2257
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
LOL.
Ex-Canuck Mason Raymond is on waivers from Anaheim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #2258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Problem is that when Vegas doesn't take him, we'll be stuck with Tank Commander Bartkowski next year, too.
That's fine...barring any miracles, the tank's not going anywhere so we could use a commander or two, or three.

i would actually put money down on the Canucks finishing worst than Vegas in its first year haha
Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 AM   #2259
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabatron View Post

Didn't pick up RFAs in pujjarvi and mcillrath both younger then biega and Larsen and can control their rights.

Doesn't pick up pulkinen twice when he was put on waivers.

I mean if you look at it people say other teams waivers dumps there's a reason why they are getting waived. But seriously all those guys aren't equal or better then what Canucks have right now and on the farm?
I think I hear what you're saying. Its preferable to have club control of RFA's, but only if they are actually worth anything. What team would trade even a 7th rd draft pick for one of these RFAs when they could have had them (or a comparable replacement) for free via waivers. The odds of these waiver wire fodder breaking out and all of a sudden transforming into NHL regulars is pretty damn slim... The fact all those guys cleared waivers tells me we did the right thing not taking a flyer on any of them. If you'll end up releasing them anyways after the end of the contract, and there's no upgrade to your team, honestly why bother with picking these guys up.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #2260

But have you seen the Utica roster?

Imo wouldn't have hurt to add Pulkkinen to that line-up. I don't know about you but I would pick a couple of those waiver wire guys over Burrows at the moment.

You can't say there's no upgrade to the team because you haven't seen them play with the team. I'm not sure if you've been watching the games lately but the roster could use a kick in the pants. Fact is, waiver wire is the cheapest way to do it, and when you have young players available, it never hurts to try them out for size. When the team is this shitty, what have you got to lose?

Hell, we can waive Baertschi and I'd bet anyone a six pack that no one will pick him up.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:54 AM   #2261

^would just pick them as depth help for Utica and its not exactly like they are shit players and what not. You cant say that those guys aren't better then what the canucks have right now. I see pulkinen, mcillrath, pujjarvi as upgrades over guys like dorsset, burrows, biega. Also can control their rights and wouldn't cost the team and arm and a leg.
Old 11-02-2016, 09:57 AM   #2262

also I think bartkowski is playing for bostons minor league team I could be wrong tho
Old 11-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #2263
UFO

Pretty bold statements, especially about Baertschi when you were so convinced that Pedan would 100% be claimed earlier in the season.

Utica's quality of roster is irrelevant IMO. Bringing fringe guys in for the sake of making Utica better takes away from developmental time and opportunity for our shallow pool of prospects as is, the same prospects that people are complaining about poor development in the farm. Bring a guy in to replace Burrows as you say, what do you do with Burrows then? They've made it clear Burrows is sticking this year for veteran presence and mentorship...

Sure there's the odd chance that one of these waiver guys may be able to make some sort of impact short term, but slim. I may not trust our scouting dept, but you figure when all 29 teams pass on the pickup, not all teams scouting dept are incompetent; so yeah I can pretty safely say that none of those guys represent a worthwhile upgrade to the team.

And by not picking up the fodder for a slim chance, we maintain a better waiver position should a team actually need to waive somebody decent for whatever reason down the road.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 10:22 AM   #2264

so you in on the six pack bet?

Pedan was an overvaluation on my part. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty convinced there'd be at least one team who' gamble on him

I'd argue that Utica's quality of roster ties in directly to prospect development. If you have a shitty team in the NHL, you should at least have a competent team in the AHL to put the prospects in a winning environment. You and dbaz keep bringing up this taking up developmental spot argument but I'm not buying it. There are guys in the AHL team that could be sent to ECHL. There are plenty of open developmental spots available because the prospect pool is so shallow.

Again, 29 teams passing on a waiver guy doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the player. That's 29 other teams with 29 dynamic situations and more than 29 factors that play into their rosters. Scouting is an element of it but it doesn't say the whole story.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:24 AM   #2265

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
Because Biega is taking up a roster spot. No one is gonna claim him on waivers if he gets sent down. If he does, meh.

I've thought about it and really how hard is it to find a dman that'd fit this requirement.

i) One defenseman who is a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Ex-Tank Commander Bartkowski is an FA and will be more than happy to sign league min to be exposed.

yea it would be easy to sign bartowski but the aquilinis dont want to add extra salary to the team for any purpose other than to make the playoffs. its the same reason why our ahl team is shit and we arent claiming people to impove the comets. thus you have to hold onto biega until sbisa makes the gps
Old 11-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #2266
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,121 Times in 531 Posts
Wait...when a player goes on waivers, how do you send him down to your farm team without putting him on waivers again?

Unless that player has a opening on the NHL team, why would you waste a roster spot for him?

You guys make it sound like you can claim the player and put them in Utica...
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #2267

all this circles back to having a shitty owner who knows and cares shit all about building a hockey team and only cares about profits.

Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 AM   #2268
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Stetcher back to Utica.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #2269

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Wait...when a player goes on waivers, how do you send him down to your farm team without putting him on waivers again?

Unless that player has a opening on the NHL team, why would you waste a roster spot for him?

You guys make it sound like you can claim the player and put them in Utica...

because most people on here think if he goes unclaimed once that if the canucks acquired and waived he'd automatically clear without the previous team caring
Old 11-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #2270

For Etem, because we originally placed him on waivers, if we had claimed him back when Anaheim placed him on waivers, we could've sent him to Utica without waivers after 30 days from his original waivers (provided he didn't play 10 or more NHL games before we sent him down).

The guys from other teams would've required waivers to go to Utica.

Last edited by Jmac; 11-02-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #2271
UFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post
so you in on the six pack bet?
I'll bet you that same 6 pack that Horvat wouldn't be picked up IF he were to be waived as well

Quote:
Again, 29 teams passing on a waiver guy doesn't necessarily reflect the quality of the player. That's 29 other teams with 29 dynamic situations and more than 29 factors that play into their rosters. Scouting is an element of it but it doesn't say the whole story.
I look at it the other way. If a waiver player was worth anything tangible (stats, performance) or intangible (leadership, presence), given how watered down the NHL is and how balanced the teams are overall, you would think that any 1 of the 29 vastly dynamic team environments would make it justifiable for a guy worth picking up. I don't believe in picking up a waiver guy just because you can, but doesn't mean that I don't believe the waiver system should be accessed if there is something to be had there.

Coming full circle, if we're relying/hoping for a waiver pickup to kick start our team, things are dire. Likewise, getting rid of WD will do nothing as the team currently just doesn't have the personnel to compete nightly--maybe we'll go from missing the playoffs by 20pts to 10pts
Old 11-02-2016, 12:29 PM   #2272

Lots of players have had successful NHL careers after being waived. Martin St. Louis, Ilya Bryzgalov, Mark Recchi, Chris Kunitz, Rich Peverley, Dale Weise, etc.

Recent(ish) Canucks include Kyle Wellwood and Dale Weise
Old 11-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #2273

Can't believe Stecher, one of the best Canucks players in the last few games is sent down. Of course there is reasoning, Tryamkin can't be sent down and Stecher doesn't have to clear waivers, but this is still so ridiculous.

I want the Canadiens to absolutely thrash the Canucks tonight, maybe that would put WD on the hot seat. 7-0 Habs should do it.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-02-2016, 12:59 PM   #2274
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,583 Times in 4,299 Posts
Smart move for the Canucks to give him playing time rather then riding the pine with the Canucks. Remember they are currently on the east coast and can have him back with the big club in a couple hours if needed.

Also he can't play more then 39 games cause he will be exposed to the expansion draft so I'm more then ok with him being sent down.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 01:00 PM   #2275
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_o2 View Post
Can't believe Stecher, one of the best Canucks players in the last few games is sent down. Of course there is reasoning, Tryamkin can't be sent down and Stecher doesn't have to clear waivers, but this is still so ridiculous.

I want the Canadiens to absolutely thrash the Canucks tonight, maybe that would put WD on the hot seat. 7-0 Habs should do it.

Just cause you said that watch us win tonight lol. Just the way she goes
bossha is offline   Reply With Quote