REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   The John Norwich Riders Corner (https://www.revscene.net/forums/john-norwich-riders-corner_45/)
-   -   CBR 600RR vs R6 (https://www.revscene.net/forums/301432-cbr-600rr-vs-r6.html)

Irish_R6 06-02-2005 08:07 PM

CBR 600RR vs R6

Im trying to figure out which bike i want to buy.

Yamaha R6 or the Honda CBR 600RR

Both appeal to me i just wanted to get some input on what you all thought about it.

womango 06-02-2005 09:05 PM

get ready to get flamed

MotoMan 06-02-2005 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by womango
get ready to get flamed
I won't flame you dude. First of all, almost all of the modern 600 CC bikes are relatively the same. When it comes down to the statistics due to performance, suspension, torque, acceleration almost all of the 600 CC bikes are equal. What it really comes down to is looks, what feels comfortable for you and little itty bits. For instance, the R6 has 2nd gear problems. It is a known fact and it can be fixed. In the GSX-R the cam chain tensor( I think ) often goes bad and you have to get a manual one. I havn't heard anything about the Honda's but i'm sure their is something. I would suggest that you take out all of them for a test ride, find one that fits you right and one that looks just right for you.

silvia 06-03-2005 04:23 PM

you said youre a student and want to find a cheap riding school....

and then you ask about buying a $8000-11000 bike? go take a real class, buy some real gear, and buy yourself a cheap-student bike like a 91 fzr400.

keepz1 06-03-2005 04:25 PM

r6 all the way look better and are faster
honda has overheating and battery probs

Irish_R6 06-03-2005 05:18 PM

Ya i know about the whole buy a cheap bike thing but ive been working since i was 16 and have saved up enough to get my bike im just trying to figure out what others think about them and any person experience

Thanks for all the input.

G

RRxtar 06-03-2005 06:22 PM

MotoMan - Hondas are notorious for having CCT problems.

One thing to think about is the Honda is abit more uncomfortable. The R6 has a bigger softer seat (relatively).

People saying take em both for a ride and decide good luck. Most dealers wont let a n00b take a brand new bike out on a demo.

Basically pick which one you like the look of more and which one you feel more comfortable sitting on.

neither one is faster or slower, brakes any better or worse, or handles any different, especially for the average person

As for me, Ill take an RR :)

2turboz 06-03-2005 08:59 PM

I think you should go out and buy yourself so GOOD QUALITY gear and then with whatevers left over go and find a bike. Dont go and buy an expensive bike and cheap out on gear, its YOUR life, take care of it!

silvia 06-06-2005 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Irish_R6
Ya i know about the whole buy a cheap bike thing but ive been working since i was 16 and have saved up enough to get my bike im just trying to figure out what others think about them and any person experience

then how come youre looking for a CHEAP riding school if youve saved up money? let me guess... tshirt, shorts, sandals, a $50 canadian tire helmet, and a new $10k bike.

MotoMan 06-06-2005 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by silvia
then how come youre looking for a CHEAP riding school if youve saved up money? let me guess... tshirt, shorts, sandals, a $50 canadian tire helmet, and a new $10k bike.
Every squids dream!

Irish_R6 06-06-2005 06:18 PM

I'm only looking for a cheaper one because i dont want to spend excessivly large amounts of money if i dont have too. I'd rather spend less and get the same instruction then spend alot more and be stuck with little money. That's how you save.

Smitty 06-06-2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

I'm only looking for a cheaper one because i dont want to spend excessivly large amounts of money if i dont have too. I'd rather spend less and get the same instruction then spend alot more and be stuck with little money. That's how you save.
If this is your first bike, don't get a brand new one, you're guaranteed to drop your first bike at least once. Look at F2s or F4s if you're interested in Hondas, they're good bikes.

MotoMan 06-07-2005 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Smitty
If this is your first bike, don't get a brand new one, you're guaranteed to drop your first bike at least once. Look at F2s or F4s if you're interested in Hondas, they're good bikes.
Don't even try to tell him, he won't listen... :(

2turboz 06-07-2005 02:03 PM

Quote:

perhaps you should be reminded of the term "you get what you pay for"

Irish_R6 06-07-2005 03:53 PM

No no no hear me out. Yes i am interested in Honda's and i will continue to consider them as a bike to buy. And i completely understand that you get what you pay for. I was mearly say that i needed some info on a good skool so i could learn to ride. and from what i've read about Action im going there.

Sorry for any confusion.

2turboz 06-07-2005 11:39 PM

i was reffering to the bike school not the bikes themselves

5LiterHoney 06-08-2005 05:28 PM

I have an '04 600 RR the only complaint I have is that Im short and it's a bit high and the seat could be a little more padded.... asides from that I'm in love! 2turboz no comments:P '03s are going fairly cheap as well.

Another one I would recomend though, would be a kawi ZX6R they're pretty newb friendly from what I hear.

86supra 06-08-2005 06:28 PM

there was a recall on my cbr 600RR, it was for the rear brake, something about the line exploding due to corrsion (spelin' is bad, to lazy to look up) but handa sez that's their bad and will fux it. food for thought

Irish_R6 06-08-2005 06:54 PM

ya that is good to hear. Ill keep that in mind...but has any one heard any thing bad about Yamaha?

MotoMan 06-08-2005 08:20 PM

Quote:

ya that is good to hear. Ill keep that in mind...but has any one heard any thing bad about Yamaha?
Read what I posted. The only problem is the funky 2nd gear in the r6's and the other common problems that occur in every sportbike after a couple years of wear and tear. So what are you going to decide to buy?

[azn angel] 06-09-2005 11:06 AM

the biggest point you're missing is that you're spending too much time reading the fine details between the superbikes out there. You as a rider, wont use 50% of the bikes ability to perform, so why you worrying about these little insignificant things?

here's the order in which i think you should spend your budget.

1) schools! lessons! go to 2/3 schools, take as many riding courses as possible. even look at taking advanced road racing courses. some links to help you out, i hope you consider it.
www.nlsbs.com
www.westcoastsuperbikeschool.com

2) GEAR GEAR...buy the nicest/best gear you can afford.

3) bike. it's your first bike, dont spend a lot of money on it. really, how pimp are you gonna look on a 2005 R6 with massive chicken strips...whilst you drop your bike parking infront of starbucks...it's bound to happen, dont deny the facts. save money this season, get a mid 90's honda/yami/kawi/gixxer, whatever you can find and ride the hell out of it. Sell it, then next year, maybe consider getting a newer bike.

honestly, put me on my 1985 fzr250 and i'll cream you on your shiny new 1000rr...point being, the bike is only as fast as the rider.

back to your original question, i'd prefer a RR, thats why i got it.

Irish_R6 06-09-2005 07:07 PM

ya thats a good point. It's just hard to find some old skool bike for cheap. Or even to find period.

2turboz 06-09-2005 11:45 PM

^ www.bcsportbikes.com

there are LOTS of old skool bikes for sale on there right now and at REALLY GOOD PRICES!

sorry man but its bullshit if you say you cant find a good o;ld bike they are everywhere!

R-kOO 06-10-2005 11:20 PM

but the RR and the r6 are top poser bikess.
if he gets a oldskool bike.. how is he gonna get the girls

2turboz 06-11-2005 03:08 PM

i guess he's screwed then

perhaps he should worry about picking up chicks when he can actually ride! No chick is gonna go for a guy that cant ride for shit!