REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #51
I STILL don't get it

I just came through the blaine border on Thursday with a CLK500 I'm importing and here are the steps I took to get it across...

Bought the car from a private sale. Got the bill of sale, state title from the previous owner.

Drove the car up to the border and left it at a family friends in bellingham since I had to wait 72 hours (3 business days). This was all on the previous friday.

When I got home, i emailed 'CBP.Blaine-EXPORT@dhs.gov' asking for the vehicle export worksheet. 2 DAYS later I got the email which included the export worksheet, status request form, and information on where to go when you arrive to the border. I filled out all the information and emailed it back. I also used the status request form and I confirmed i was able to bring the car back on the Thursday.

Thursday, drove down to pick up my car, arrived at the border. Parked my car in a the half circle shaped lane, walked across to the US Customs building and lined up in the vehicle export line. Gave the US Customs guy my export worksheet and title, he stamped it and told me to head to canada.

At the Canadian border, I told the border guard i'm importing this car, he asked a bunch of questions, gave me a white form with my car information, and told me to go into the office. In the office the customs agent asked proabaly about 20 questions. **I WOULD ADVISE IF YOU ARE BUYING A USED CAR, BRING IN THE AD FOR THE CAR. I found my car on craigslist and the add expired, so we had to use our bank information to verify that I purchased the car for what I stated. I purchased my car for approx $15k less than the redbook that they have there for reference so i had a hard time justifying it. None the less everything was ok.

After that, you head to the cashier table, pay your GST, Duty (if applicable) and then you're on your way.

My car is currently at Mercedes Benz getting its modifications done so I'll update once that process is done.
Advertisement
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:15 AM   #52
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Somebody help me.

I'm looking to buy a shell from the states. no engine, not running, just shell with VIN and stuff.

It's still the same process right?
How long do I have until I have to register it as a running vehicle?
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #53
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

has anybody imported 06 audi a3? anybody had any problems? let me know

Last edited by dt789; 03-19-2008 at 01:25 AM.
dt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:33 PM   #54
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Shell ie not rolling chasis you can import it as parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Somebody help me.

I'm looking to buy a shell from the states. no engine, not running, just shell with VIN and stuff.

It's still the same process right?
How long do I have until I have to register it as a running vehicle?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #55
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
does anybody know of like a "broker" by chance who does this as a buisness?
If you looking for a car in the US (or even Canada), I highly recommend Messiah Motor Cars:
http://www.mmcars.ca/
(604) 786-8999

I never heard of them before until a friend recommended them. They have various import package fees to choose from.

Bruce at MM Cars there helped me pick up a car. Customer service was awesome. First, I told him what I was looking for. They have access to the wholesale market in the U.S. and Canada. I’d get daily no-obligation no-pressure emails with price quotes and car fax reports for cars all over the US and Canada.

We eventually found a car and agreed on a price, and they even took my trade-in. The car was detailed. Then they delivered the car to my work, along with an ICBC agent, who came prepared with a computer and printer. Did all of the insurance paper work at my work! Great service. I would use them again.
Nike One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 PM   #56
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
I just came through the blaine border on Thursday with a CLK500 I'm importing and here are the steps I took to get it across...

Bought the car from a private sale. Got the bill of sale, state title from the previous owner.

Drove the car up to the border and left it at a family friends in bellingham since I had to wait 72 hours (3 business days). This was all on the previous friday.

When I got home, i emailed 'CBP.Blaine-EXPORT@dhs.gov' asking for the vehicle export worksheet. 2 DAYS later I got the email which included the export worksheet, status request form, and information on where to go when you arrive to the border. I filled out all the information and emailed it back. I also used the status request form and I confirmed i was able to bring the car back on the Thursday.

Thursday, drove down to pick up my car, arrived at the border. Parked my car in a the half circle shaped lane, walked across to the US Customs building and lined up in the vehicle export line. Gave the US Customs guy my export worksheet and title, he stamped it and told me to head to canada.

At the Canadian border, I told the border guard i'm importing this car, he asked a bunch of questions, gave me a white form with my car information, and told me to go into the office. In the office the customs agent asked proabaly about 20 questions. **I WOULD ADVISE IF YOU ARE BUYING A USED CAR, BRING IN THE AD FOR THE CAR. I found my car on craigslist and the add expired, so we had to use our bank information to verify that I purchased the car for what I stated. I purchased my car for approx $15k less than the redbook that they have there for reference so i had a hard time justifying it. None the less everything was ok.

After that, you head to the cashier table, pay your GST, Duty (if applicable) and then you're on your way.

My car is currently at Mercedes Benz getting its modifications done so I'll update once that process is done.

any updates?
winks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #57
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by winks View Post
any updates?
My bad... Forgot to update this post.

The car has been registered and plated in BC since mid December, and everything is great with the car. To continue from my last post.....

The modifications were done at Mercedes Boundary, took approx 3 days to do. Originally I was quoted anywhere from $4500-8000 for mods, and it ended up costing $3000 including tax and the BS Mercedes 'Admin Fee' charge of $750. I don't know if the $4500-8000 is a scare tactic but the car was here, so i had to go through with it.

I then received a letter of compliance from MB Canada, and faxed that to RIV, and they sent me my Form 2, and off to crappy tire to get the car inspected. That took about 10mins, and then I headed to my insurance broker...

It's been a few months but off the top of my head here are the costs.

$25,000US for the car, exchanged my money at $1.07, so $23500ish CAD
$300US for Mercedes Portland Certified 155 point Presale Inspection
$1600 for GST
$1700 for Duty
$3000 for Mercedes Mods
$1700 for PST
$120 for Canadian tire inspection
$209ish for RIV fee
$50ish gas money from Portland to Vancouver
$6 Mcdonalds lunch on the drive up. lol.

Approx Total for a 2004 CLK500 w/t AMG Package 3-4 months ago: Say $32,000 CAD give or take.

3 months ago, the car was listing in Canada anywhere from $39,000 as high up as $45,000 CAD. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Most people are scared by the amount of paper that is needed but as long as you have half a brain and are able to keep your papers/outlines in order, it's a breeze. Mercedes and BMW's are one of the hardest cars to import and if a stoner like me is capable of doing it, anyone is. Until the prices of cars are even on both sides of the border, I will not buy a car in Canada.

The ONLY regret I have is not getting a CLK55 convertible instead
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
My bad... Forgot to update this post.

The car has been registered and plated in BC since mid December, and everything is great with the car. To continue from my last post.....

The modifications were done at Mercedes Boundary, took approx 3 days to do. Originally I was quoted anywhere from $4500-8000 for mods, and it ended up costing $3000 including tax and the BS Mercedes 'Admin Fee' charge of $750. I don't know if the $4500-8000 is a scare tactic but the car was here, so i had to go through with it.

I then received a letter of compliance from MB Canada, and faxed that to RIV, and they sent me my Form 2, and off to crappy tire to get the car inspected. That took about 10mins, and then I headed to my insurance broker...

It's been a few months but off the top of my head here are the costs.

$25,000US for the car, exchanged my money at $1.07, so $23500ish CAD
$300US for Mercedes Portland Certified 155 point Presale Inspection
$1600 for GST
$1700 for Duty
$3000 for Mercedes Mods
$1700 for PST
$120 for Canadian tire inspection
$209ish for RIV fee
$50ish gas money from Portland to Vancouver
$6 Mcdonalds lunch on the drive up. lol.

Approx Total for a 2004 CLK500 w/t AMG Package 3-4 months ago: Say $32,000 CAD give or take.

3 months ago, the car was listing in Canada anywhere from $39,000 as high up as $45,000 CAD. Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. Most people are scared by the amount of paper that is needed but as long as you have half a brain and are able to keep your papers/outlines in order, it's a breeze. Mercedes and BMW's are one of the hardest cars to import and if a stoner like me is capable of doing it, anyone is. Until the prices of cars are even on both sides of the border, I will not buy a car in Canada.

The ONLY regret I have is not getting a CLK55 convertible instead

what were the mercedes mods? only mercedes and bmw u have to do these mods to? what bout a honda? i would think just a honda recall letter and daytime running lights?
Old 04-04-2008, 12:31 PM   #59
RS Lurker, I don't post!

is there a recent tax implication change when buying from the states and bringing it back to canada?
s_anails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 AM   #60
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
what were the mercedes mods? only mercedes and bmw u have to do these mods to? what bout a honda? i would think just a honda recall letter and daytime running lights?
I had to get the following changed/programmed

Instrument Cluster - changed to KM's
Front Bumper foam pads - changed to Canadian impact standards or some BS like that
Program daytime running lights to stay on

All cars 'may' need to get mods done, the only thing different with Mercedes/BMW is that the mods you need to do to make it Canadian compliant HAVE to be done at a Mercedes/BMW dealership. Any other brand of car you can do the mods yourself or bring it to a shop of your choice which is a lot cheaper. MB/BMW charge a rediculous amount for the mods and there's actually a class action lawsuit going on about it right now. Regardless I still saved $10k and I'm happy with my purchase.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #61
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Hey guys,
i've imported a car before but it was a private deal.

i haven't had experience dealing with a dealership yet. How does it work ? i assume that if an american walked in and purchased a car he/she would have to pay all the taxes and what not. But since i'm Canadian what is the process for me? do i just not pay taxes? or do i pay them and get rembursed later?

anyone have past experience? please share, thanks!

Last edited by Sp3cial_K; 04-11-2008 at 11:32 AM. Reason: i can't type
Sp3cial_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #62
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
You still pay state tax unless you have an out of state dealer license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp3cial_K View Post
Hey guys,
i've imported a car before but it was a private deal.

i haven't had experience dealing with a dealership yet. How does it work ? i assume that if an american walked in and purchased a car he/she would have to pay all the taxes and what not. But since i'm Canadian what is the process for me? do i just not pay taxes? or do i pay them and get rembursed later?

anyone have past experience? please share, thanks!
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM   #63
My homepage has been set to RS

do you still have to pay GST and duty if somebody with a US drivers lic. drives the car accross the border. DOest not tell them he is taking the car to sell,

give me the car here and i register it by paying only PST? only (do i have to pay GST and duty)

Last edited by tool001; 05-13-2008 at 10:28 PM.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #64
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

does anyone know a good shipping company if you are going to have your car shipped from the US back to Canada??
izzue.hk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #65
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
do you still have to pay GST and duty if somebody with a US drivers lic. drives the car accross the border. DOest not tell them he is taking the car to sell,

give me the car here and i register it by paying only PST? only (do i have to pay GST and duty)
You still have to go through RIV (if it's not older than 15 years).

Good luck getting your insurance without your Form 2.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #66

transport canada have removed bumper restrictions starting today
Old 07-01-2008, 02:05 PM   #67
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Altima Coupe

I imported a 2008 Altima Coupe 3.5 from Bellevue in February. I know the process pretty well and I have a few tricks, so if you guys have any questions, fire away.
hurley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #68
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Quote:
transport canada have removed bumper restrictions starting today
so has anyone figured out if it applied to older cars i.e evo9's, r34 skylines? or is it only cars manufactured from 2009+?
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #69
derfud

The harmonized bumper standard applies to older models in addition to the 2009 models.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 PM   #70
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
ok just to make sure this info is still in place, bmw's are still importable correct? just costs some extra $$?? (been a long time since i checked up)

gonna go down and grab one
StylinRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #71
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

its all on website of whats importable and whats not...riv.ca

i used a broker for my car no hassles no problems...and u arent allowed to bring over a modded car...so i had to use a broker...he did private inspections..no canadian tire BS
Old 09-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #72
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Sooo........

Are EVO's legal to bring up now? I checked riv.ca and on their updated pdf file, it seems to be legal now......

Has anyone done it here/know someone who has imported an EVO?
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #73
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Most of these steps have been adapted from lowside67's post and RIV.ca with a few additions and updates from my personal experience. This is what I went through when purchasing my 1995 Nissan recent as of Sept 2008

SUGGESTIONS WHEN LOOKING FOR A USED CAR IN THE STATES:

1.) Do a CARFAX report or CARPROOF report for your car
2.) Arrange to do a CarChex Inspection or Licensed Mechanic to inspect the car after you have seen the car in person. There’s always hidden things you may miss out when just looking at the car yourself. Always have a mechanic to have a second opinion!

STEP 1 – PURCHASE YOUR CAR
1) Please make sure you obtain a TITLE for the vehicle, fully signed over to you

2) A Bill of Sale for your vehicle, must clearly indicate:
§ VIN#
§ purchase price (and currency)
§ kms
§ the seller’s personal information
§ buyer’s (your) personal information
3) Optional: An ad of the vehicle for sale e.g. the ad from craigslist

4) If available and buying car from dealer: Obtain a Recall Cleareance Letter.

5) Drive the purchased car and park it at a friend’s/relative's place. You will have to leave the car in the states for 72hours minimum.
NOTE: Double check the VIN of the car matches the VIN on the TITLE and Carfax report!

STEP 2 – US EXPORT DOCUMENTATIONS
1) When you get home, EMAIL the US vehicle export office and ask them to email you the proper documents and Vehicle Export Worksheet. CBP.Blaine-EXPORT@dhs.gov. Fill out the information and email them back.

2) Fax the Vehicle Export Worksheet, Title (both sides) and Bill of Sale to the US border @ 360-332-2639

3) After 2-4days, email them the status request form. They will confirm they have received the faxed documents and tell you the earliest date you can export your vehicle.

4) If you haven’t done it in Step 1, call your vehicle manufacture to obtain a Recall Cleareance Letter.
Here is a list of phone numbers you can contact to get a recall clearance letter for the major vehicle manufacturers:

Audi -Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-822-2834 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
BMW -Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-831-1117 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Chrysler - Recall documentation can be obtained on the internet at www .daimlerchrysler .ca or RIV will accept a VIP printout from a dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Ford -Recall documentation can be obtained from www.ford.com; head office by calling 1-800-392-3673 or RIV will accept an OASIS or Ford Confidential printout from a dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
General Motors -Recall documentation can be obtained from GM Vintage Vehicle Services by calling 1-888-467-6853.
Honda, Acura -Recall documentation can be obtained from the internet at www.honda.com. You must register with the ownerlink, and print the recall specification page or printout/letter from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Jaguar -Recall documentation can be obtained from www.ford.com; head office by calling 1-800-452-4827 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Mazda -Recall documentation can be obtained by filling out a Recall Clearance Letter Request Document and Sending it in to Mazda. Click here for more information on Mazda Recall Clearance Letters, or click here to download the Mazda Recall Clearance letter request document.
Mercedes-Benz -Recall documentation must be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-367-6372.
Mitsubishi -Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-222-0037 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Nissan -Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-647-7261 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Toyota- Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-331-4331 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Volkswagen -Recall documentation can be obtained from head office by calling 1-800-822-8987 or RIV will accept an internal system report from a U.S. dealership on letterhead or with dealer stamp.
Volvo -Recall documentation can be obtained from Volvo Cars of North American head office by calling 1-800-458-1552. Volvo Cars being imported will also require a Letter of Admissibility.

STEP 3 –THE DAY OF CROSSING THE BORDER WITH THE VEHICLE

1) In Canada: Purchase insurance from ICBC called “Binder of insurance” (~$35/10 days [maybe more $])

2) Prepare your documents:
a. ORIGINAL title
b. ORIGINAL bill of sale
c. COPY of title
d. COPY of bill of sale
e. Vehicle export worksheet
f. Insurance papers
3) After crossing the US border, go to the nearest Department of Licensing and purchase a US Temporary Permit. ($35 for 3 consecutive days) This permit allows you to drive your car from the States back to Canada.

4) Make sure you have enough $ credit on your credit cards (easiest form of payment) to pay for all the duty and taxes at the border. 6.1% Duty (If your car is not made in North America) +7%GST +$100 A/C fee. Here is a tool to calculate how much you will need approx: http://www.importcartocanada.info/to...ce-calculator/

5) US Customs to EXPORT: Drive the car to the US TRUCK CROSSING BORDER. [NOT PEACE ARCH] Stay on the right lane and before you see the Canadian Customs Border, between both borders there will be a Kiosk or white booth. Park your car there and walk into the office and go to the window where it says Vehicle Export. *ARRIVE BY 3:30PM MON-FRI OR THEY WILL NOT EXPORT YOUR VEHICLE!!!!!!* They will confirm they have received the documents and stamp your Original Title. This process takes only 5 minutes if there is no line up.

6) Canadian Customs to IMPORT: Drive the car to cross the Canadian Border as you would normally when you go back home from the States. They will give you a yellow card at the booth and tell you to park your vehicle and go to the Canadian Customs Office. Once inside the office, grab a ticket and sit down and wait. May take minutes to hours depending on how busy it is.

7) You don’t need to fill out any forms, the Customs agent will do that for you. They will give your FORM 1 and stamp 2 stamps on it. (They will stamp a 3rd stamp on the bottom if your vehicle is older 15yrs). Next, you will have to pay the taxes and duties at the cashier. Make sure you keep the blue card receipt! Before you leave the office, make a final check that you have all your documents:
a. Original Title
b. Original Bill of Sale
c. Form 1 (yellow and white sheets)
d. Receipt of duties and taxes

STEP 4 – AFTER THE BORDER, BACK IN CANADA:

1) COMPLETE: Finish completing the Vehicle and Importer Information portion of Form 1

2) PAY: Go online and pay the $204.75 for the Federal Inspection: https://www.riv.ca/rivpayment/html/enter.cfm
[make sure you submit a email address to them, so they can email you the form 2 so it’s faster]

3) FAX:
a. Title and Form 1 to RIV: 1-888-346-8235
b. Vehicle Recall Letter to RIV: 1-888-642-9899
4) WAIT: An inspection form, FORM 2 will be mailed or emailed back to you in 2 weeks after completion of the above. If after 2 weeks they still haven’t emailed or mailed it to you, give them a email at info@riv.ca with your 6-digit case number at the top left corner of Form 1. [ex. H123456]

5) VEHICLE MODIFICATIONS: While you wait for your Form 2, I suggest you use this time to do the necessary vehicle modifications. For a complete list go here: http://www.riv.ca/english/html/mod_i...uirements.html
But mainly what you need are:
a. Daytime Running Lights - $200 at Canadian Tire [can be cheaper else where]
b. Cheld Restraint tether anchorage hardware kit. (Some cars may already have it, if not it can be purchased at Canadian Tire for $5)
6) FEDERAL INSPECTION: Once your Form 2 has arrived, you can go forward with the Federal Inspection. Go to your nearest Canadian Tire as early as possible, 8am – 6pm Mon-Sat for your Federal Inspection. You cannot book an appointment, it’s First come First Serve. Obtain the passed Federal Inspection Document [Form 2] and they will also put a final stamp on Form 1.

7) PROVINCIAL INSPECTION: I suggest going to shop other than CanTire for your OPP inspection, as CanTire is unneccsary strict!!! They will fail you for minor things such as license plate bulb being out, etc. Cost will be $80 - $150. Obtain the passed OPP inspection document

8) REGISTER YOUR CAR/ICBC INSURANCE: Bring all the forms that you have obtained to your nearest ICBC agent, once again they are:
1) Form 1 [with 3 stamps]
2) Original Title
3) Original Bill of Sale
4) Passed Form 2
5) Passed Provincial Inspection Document
6) Receipt of Duty and Taxes
note: At this point, you will pay the 5%PST when you buy your insurance
2nd note: you won't need aircare on the first year of insurance for your OPP car. The next year you will though.

9) After 3 – 4 weeks, RIV will mail you a sticker saying your car has passed the RIV program. Stick this on the driver’s side door panel. CONGRATS YOU ARE DONE! ENJOY YOUR CAR!!

Last edited by Shogun; 09-05-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:20 PM   #74
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
There's a huge thread about this over on RFD. Shogun's post is probably better because it has step by step instructions but the RFD thread is almost 400 pages long so I'm sure there are questions/answers there if you feel like searching.

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...d.php?t=307601
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:01 PM   #75
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I would like some confirmation on this: Purchasing a new car in Washington state requires state tax to be paid whereas used cars do not? I was told so by a car sales person in WA.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote