REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 AM   #76
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,239 Times in 571 Posts
Very nice write-up Shogun!!

It seems more complicated then this site suggest, or maybe I'm just skipping through a lot of steps on that site! haha

http://www.importcartocanada.info/gu...a-from-the-us/
Advertisement
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 AM   #77
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Hi!

2 main questions:

(1) I have been getting a lot of mixed answers regarding payment at the border...some posters mentioned only can pay $500 per credit card/debit card, and then others that mentions there is no limit on credit card.

Can anyone let me know the latest update whether there is a limit on credit card payments or not? I will be importing my car from the states coming Monday...and so I am really wondering if I need to bring cash with me (I am hoping not...I'd rather pay whole payment through credit card).

(2) Does anyone know where Cost Cutter Licensing is at? Apparently this is the place to purchase trip permit so I can cross my car from USA to CA border (I did a private sale, the car was originally in North Carolina...so I m not sure if North Carolina license plate is ok to drive through the border)? Directions to Cost Cutters will be wonderful...I have been trying hard to find its exact address but no such luck so far....can't google map the location and got this so far...someone please verify thanks!

Blaine Cost Cutter Licensing
Blaine International Ctr
1733 "H" St #100
Blaine, WA

Help will be most appreciated....many thanks in advance!!!!

PM me if you (or if you know of someone) selling IS300

Last edited by Rev's girl; 09-18-2008 at 11:18 AM.
Rev's girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:20 AM   #78
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev's girl View Post
Hi!

2 main questions:

(1) I have been getting a lot of mixed answers regarding payment at the border...some posters mentioned only can pay $500 per credit card/debit card, and then others that mentions there is no limit on credit card.

Can anyone let me know the latest update whether there is a limit on credit card payments or not? I will be importing my car from the states coming Monday...and so I am really wondering if I need to bring cash with me (I am hoping not...I'd rather pay whole payment through credit card).

(2) Does anyone know where Cost Cutter Licensing is at? Apparently this is the place to purchase trip permit so I can cross my car from USA to CA border (I did a private sale, the car was originally in North Carolina...so I m not sure if North Carolina license plate is ok to drive through the border)? Directions to Cost Cutters will be wonderful...I have been trying hard to find its exact address but no such luck so far....can't google map the location and got this so far...someone please verify thanks!

Blaine Cost Cutter Licensing
Blaine International Ctr
1733 "H" St #100
Blaine, WA

Help will be most appreciated....many thanks in advance!!!!
You can pay fully on credit card. When I imported my CLK I had to pay the following at the border and I put it all on my CC.

GST: $1600ish
Duty: $1700ish (my car isn't made in north america, if yours is, then you don't have to pay this)
RIV Fee: $220ish (they take payment online now so you can go home and do it instead of paying at the border)

I can't remember if there was anything else charged to my card, it's been almost a year since I've done it. But to answer your question you can put on more than $500.

googlemaps?

P.S., when you are crossing, make SURE you bring the ad on how much the car was listed for whether it was from craigslist/autotrader.com etc. I had a hell of a time trying to explain to the border guard that I bought my car for what I got it for. I actually had to call the private seller and get him to verify for me.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:25 AM   #79
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeTWorKz View Post
Very nice write-up Shogun!!

It seems more complicated then this site suggest, or maybe I'm just skipping through a lot of steps on that site! haha

http://www.importcartocanada.info/gu...a-from-the-us/
It's accurate.
Study it or else you'll be fukked at the border.

Had an idiot behind me buy his pick up truck except he didn't do any research on it, or send his documents 72 business hours before. He was scrambling to find a place to leave his truck for 3 days.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:08 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
You can pay fully on credit card. When I imported my CLK I had to pay the following at the border and I put it all on my CC.

GST: $1600ish
Duty: $1700ish (my car isn't made in north america, if yours is, then you don't have to pay this)
RIV Fee: $220ish (they take payment online now so you can go home and do it instead of paying at the border)

I can't remember if there was anything else charged to my card, it's been almost a year since I've done it. But to answer your question you can put on more than $500.

googlemaps?

P.S., when you are crossing, make SURE you bring the ad on how much the car was listed for whether it was from craigslist/autotrader.com etc. I had a hell of a time trying to explain to the border guard that I bought my car for what I got it for. I actually had to call the private seller and get him to verify for me.
Thanks for your clarification regarding payment! And yes, I've read some horror stories from other rs posters who did not bring the ad with them...the border reps try to pull out their own book of vehicle estimates lol

Now I m waiting patiently for the day I can import my car (the carrier company is late on schedule transporting my car to Blaine, WA), will be picking up my car from Blaine and then drive over the border....it's either gonna be an easy flowing day, or a day of madness (1st time doing this, after all)...personally I would much rather have choice #1 LOL.

Last edited by Rev's girl; 09-21-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #81

This is probably a really lame question...but has anyone ever WALKED across the Canada-USA Peace Arch border before?

I have never walked over (always have been driving across) the Peace Arch border, so I am wondering if there is a specific office (or is it just the main border office) you have to enter before crossing the border from Canada to the USA side?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM   #82
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev's girl View Post
Thanks for your clarification regarding payment! And yes, I've read some horror stories from other rs posters who did not bring the ad with them...the border reps try to pull out their own book of vehicle estimates lol

Now I m waiting patiently for the day I can import my car (the carrier company is late on schedule transporting my car to Blaine, WA), will be picking up my car from Blaine and then drive over the border....it's either gonna be an easy flowing day, or a day of madness (1st time doing this, after all)...personally I would much rather have choice #1 LOL.
Yeah according to their books my car should have been at least $5,000 more then what I bought it for. Luckily the customs agent i was dealing with was relatively nice, he just had to make sure.

Go early in the morning if you can. The US export office should take no more than 10-15mins if there's say 8 people in front of you. Canada customs side might be longer though. But I got to the US export office at 10am and the entire process including Canada Customs took less than a half hour (including lining up to cross the border). A buddy of mine did his in the afternoon and he told me it took him well over and hour.

Never walked across before..

What are you bringing over if you don't mind me asking?
Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 PM   #83
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

judging from the pricing of certain cars, is it worth it to buy a camry in the states and import it to canada? with the gst and pst, it seems as if the price comes out to be the same. thanks!
yameen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #84
Rs has made me the man i am today!

So I basically need to pay about 18% tax, right?
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 AM   #85
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,430 Times in 977 Posts
^if its made outside north america, yes
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
^if its made outside north america, yes
That's pretty high. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #87
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Anyone know how much Messiah charges to do their "diamond" package which involves looking for a car for you too?

http://www.mmcimportation.ca/page/page/5824610.htm

Last edited by KO7; 10-24-2008 at 09:01 PM.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:18 PM   #88
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

I don't think they have a set price
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #89
Banned By Establishment

question as i'm considering bringing up a lexus ES300 from california

2) ORIGINAL bill of sale
3) COPY of title (front and back)
4) COPY of bill of sale
5) Proof of insurance (may or may not be asked for, but make sure you have it just in case!)
6) Money. You may need a lot, or a little bit - you will need to be able to pay (they accept interac, credit card to a maximum of $500 on each card, and cash):
$100 Excise Tax (if your vehicle has a/c)
6.1% Duty (if your vehicle has not been produced in North America)
7% GST

as for number 4, the car i might bring up here is free (my aunt bought another car, the lexus is sitting the garage collecting dust so she says i'm welcome to come take it when i go down there for vacation). would a piece of paper saying "i, (nicks aunt), give nick this lexus ES300 as a gift" count? also, would the $100 tax still apply even if the A/C doesn't work, and i have proof that it's not working? my aunt didn't want to spend money on a new compressor since she already had a new car. and how would i be taxed on a car that was given to me?
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #90

Has anyone brought in a really modded car in from the US?
If so, was it very hard to do so?
Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #91
I am Hook'd on RS

do bmw's and merecedes take extremley long and are expensive to get here?? B/c you have to change the cluster and watnot??
gdhillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #92
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhillon View Post
do bmw's and merecedes take extremley long and are expensive to get here?? B/c you have to change the cluster and watnot??
I imported a CLK. whole process took approx 2 weeks. Getting the letters from Mercedes, leaving it at the border for 72 hours, and mods at the Mercedes dealership all took the longest.

Cluster, daytime running lights, bumper was what I had to modify but I'm not sure if the bumper has to be replaced or not anymore. This was in December 07 and I got rid of it last week and got a 335i locally instead.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #93
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,430 Times in 977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhillon View Post
i did a z4.. you dont have to change the cluster for that. i just had to do DRL + change the digital odometer to kilos. yes bmw charges $500 for a recall letter which is horse shit. i heard they're now charging an extra fee which is around $250-300. all in all you might pay around $1500-2k for all fees involved (riv, 2 inspections, drl+odo, recall........) and then 18.1% on top of the car price if its made outside NA or just gst/pst if its made in NA

^i didnt leave my car at the border... i called customs 72h ahead of time and told them i'd be importing a car... they started the clock and 3 days later i bought and drove the car over.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #94
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,114 Times in 177 Posts
Has anyone imported from California? I'm having trouble finding an answer to the question if I need to buy a temporary license permit there? I assume that you do, but I can't find anything specific.

EDIT: To answer my own question, I stopped in at the DMV in San Diego and they told me that as long as the car has current tags that I'm free to drive it as much as I like.

Last edited by immorality; 09-27-2009 at 07:16 AM.
immorality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #95
RS Lurker, I don't post!

sooo us money is going to be in parity with cdn
anyone going to buy cars from the states
johnnydang3rous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:41 PM   #96
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Hey all. I'm looking for a person who has imported a car from US before. I found a car that I want in WA and the sale would be private. I need someone to handle all the paper work and what not until the car is in Canada leagaly. There will be a cash reward after everything is done.

PM me please

Thanks

Past:
1st - 1995 Eagle Talon ESi - Auto
2nd - 1997 VW Golf CL - 5spd
3rd - 1995 BMW 318Ti - 5spd
4th - 1998 VW GTI VR6 - 5spd
5th - 1996 Infiniti I30 - Auto
6th - 2006 VW Jetta 2.0T - 6spd
7th - 2013 Kia Rio Hatch SX - Auto
EuroRepresent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #97
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,774 Times in 974 Posts
lowside's guide was AWESOME, and a great help to me when importing my car. I've made some amendments to though, as a few years have passed now.. (changes in green)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
My Guide to Importing a Vehicle from the US to Canada:

PART 1 - BEFORE YOU CROSS YOUR VEHICLE

Step 1 - Check your vehicle can be imported!
This is the RIV eligibility list to determine which models can and cannot be imported:
http://www.riv.ca/english/US_vehicle_admissibility.pdf
* IF YOUR VEHICLE IS 15 YEARS OLD OR OLDER, IT IS AUTOMATICALLY ELIGIBLE

Step 2 - Purchase your car
Regardless of what the seller says, you do NOT pay tax to whatever state it was purchased in since you are not a resident of that state. (I have been advised that some states require you to pay tax. I have bought vehicles from 32 states now and never been required to pay tax, but inquire at the DMV or tax office for the specific state you are buying a vehicle in.) Make sure you have:
1) A title for your vehicle, fully signed over to you
2) A bill of sale for your vehicle, must clearly indicate VIN #, purchase price (and currency), kms, the seller's personal information, and the buyer's (your) personal information.

Step 3 - US Export Documentations
You must obtain a Vehicle Export Worksheet from the Blaine US vehicle export office (assuming this is where you are bringing the vehicle across - Pacific Truck Crossing). You can call them at 360-332-2632, leave a message and they will fax it to you. You can also download one online and print it out. Download here: http://www.ucanimport.com/docs/CBPVe...tWorksheet.pdf

Fill out this form and fax or e-mail it, along with a copy of the title (front and rear) and a copy of the bill of sale to 360-332-2639.
* THIS MUST BE COMPLETED 3 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE VEHICLE CROSSES THE BORDER (NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE!)

If submitting by email, you will receive confirmation of acceptance and allowed crossing date by return e-mail, or you will receive confirmation of deficiency if documents are incomplete. Partial submissions are not allowed.

PART 2 - BEFORE YOU CROSS, THE DAY OF

Step 1 - Insurance
You must have a way of legally driving your vehicle on the US and Canadian sides of the border. You can call your local ICBC agent and have them issue you a temporary permit, call your agent for more information on this step. You will also need a temp permit from the State you will be driving in. Any local DMV in that State will be able to provide you with this.

Step 2 - Prepare Your Documents
For your day at the border you will need:
1) ORIGINAL title
2) ORIGINAL bill of sale
3) COPY of title (front and back)
4) COPY of bill of sale
5) Proof of insurance (may or may not be asked for, but make sure you have it just in case!)
6) Money. You may need a lot, or a little bit - you will need to be able to pay (they accept interac, credit card and cash):
$100 Excise Tax (if your vehicle has a/c)
6.1% Duty (if your vehicle has not been produced in North America)
7% GST

PART 3 - CROSS THE BORDER WITH YOUR VEHICLE

See this Google Map for points of interest for Part 3: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...c3bb03609b3745

Step 1 - US Customs to EXPORT
Drive your vehicle from wherever it is in the US to the Blaine border crossing (make sure to go to the commercial crossing. Park your vehicle at the examination pullout (pretend you are driving across normally, you will see a small unmarked, unlabeled pullout area on the left side right next to the window booths to enter the US). Bring your keys and paperwork inside and find the "VEHICLE EXPORT OFFICE." Give them your title and keys and they will confirm they have received and processed the paperwork you have sent them 72 hours ago. They may or may not inspect your vehicle, but the final result will be a "VEHICLE EXPORTED" stamp that goes right on your original title.
*YOU MUST ARRIVE BY 3:30PM ON MON-FRI OR THEY WILL NOT EXPORT YOUR VEHICLE!

*See the Google Map for exact pullout location

Step 2 - Canadian Customs to IMPORT
Head over to the Canadian border. They will give you a yellow card at the booth and show you where to go inside - make sure you do not lose this!

Step 2A - Form 1
Ask the agent inside at the counter for a FORM 1. Go ahead and fill it out, asking the agent for help if you have any questions. Ensure you check "Credit Card" at the bottom and fill your credit card in to process the RIV payment. Depending on the Agent, they might fill it all out for you.

Step 2B - B3
After filling out your Form 1, head to the two computers marked "B3 Entries" and use one. Follow the on-screen prompts as best as possible, asking for help when you need it.
*IT IS IMPORTANT TO KNOW WHERE YOUR VEHICLE WAS PRODUCED! VIN #S STARTING WITH 1-9 DO NOT HAVE DUTY!

Step 2C - Assemble and Hand In
Make sure to sign and date both copies of the B3 that print and stick the barcode to it. Also fill this barcode in on your Form 1.

The correct order for a complete package from top to bottom:
1) Yellow Card from the Booth
2) B3 copy 1 stapled to COPY of bill of sale and COPY of title
3) B3 copy 2 stapled to ORIGINAL bill of sale and ORIGINAL title
4) Form 1
Wrap this whole package in the yellow jacket that came with your barcode and hand it in.

Step 2D - Wait
It may take 5 minutes, it has taken me as long as 6 hours one day. Luck of the draw and by how many people are there ahead of you. They will call you to the cashier by name when you are finished.

Step 2E - Pay
With whatever combination of Interac, Credit Cards, and Cash - pay your bill. They will give you a gate pass to leave the compound. Make sure you leave with:
1) Original Title
2) Original Bill of Sale
3) 1 copy of B3
4) Form 1 (yellow and white sheets) *MARKED PAID

Step 2F - Register with RIV
Head over to the RIV office to register and pay the $204.75 fee. This needs to be done so they can process the car, enabling you to register it in Canada.
They will give you vague, and probably incorrect instructions on how to get there, so just look at the google map instead.

Step 2G - Leave
Thank god this day is over!

PART 4 - AFTER THE BORDER

Step 1 - OOP Inspection
An "OUT OF PROVINCE" inspection is required. There are many shops in the lower mainland that are licensed to perform this (it should be approximately $75).

Step 2 - Compliance
Before your vehicle is federally inspected, you will need to make sure your vehicle has:
1) Daytime Running Lights
2) Speedometer labels in KMS (doesnt have to be the main display, an analog or digital readout is fine).
3) All lights (airbag, check engine, etc.) function properly and are out.
4) No open recalls (you will need written documenation of this, which can be obtained by the manufacturer of the car)

Step 3 - Federal Inspection
By now you should have received in the mail your FORM 2 from the RIV. If not, give them a call at 1-888-848-8240 and ask them of the status of your case (your case # is printed on your form 1 and is a 6 digit number currently starting with H (H123456). Take this form, along with the white and yellow copies of your FORM 1, and recall documentation to any designated inspection centre (almost any canadian tire is one) and ask them to perform a federal inspection. This inspection is included in the RIV fee ($204.75 after GST as of the latest edit). They should stamp your documents and give you copies of the form 2 and recall letter and your original white and yellow copies of the form 1 back.

Step 4 - Register Your Car
Head over to your ICBC agent and bring with you:
1) WHITE copy of Form 1
2) ORIGINAL title
3) BLUE copy of provincial inspection

With these 3 documents, the agent should be able to register your vehicle into the province and then add insurance and license plates should you chose.

Step 5 - Keep for your records
1) YELLOW form 1 copy
2) B3
3) STAMPED form 2 copy
4) YELLOW provincial inspection copy
5) ORIGINAL bill of sale

Amended Feb 4, 2010
Old 02-10-2010, 10:19 PM   #98
regulator

lol, that RIV office WAS impossible to find with the canada border guy's instructions when I brought up a TT last year (without that pinpointed map). I walked around that massive warehouse for like 20 mins before some friendly old janitor showed me where it was.
jigga250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #99
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Private sale payment

Can anyone recommend a way to make payment other than cash? I was told any type of Canadian cheque will be held and the seller may not give me the car immediately. Wire transfer... well again, they get the money before I get the car. Basically, I would like to take the car when I hand over payment.

Thanks
choooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #100
I am Hook'd on RS

I was looking at bringing a car from the states, does anyone know a dealer that will do the whole process for me?

thanks
garage.adrian is offline   Reply With Quote