REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #126
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Importing Vehicle as parts without a title? Possible?
Advertisement
misterGinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #127
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Sorry for the amateur questions

Anyone who has experience import car from Portland Oregon, Which form is the "Title for your vehicle, fully signed over to you? is it Form 735-226 in link below?

And what does Bill of Sale form or something you just create? Is it Form 735-501?

Link shows the forms
Oregon DMV Titling & Registering Oregon-titled Vehicles

Also, if the car is leased, does the seller need to do the lien release form? I assume he must paid off the lien first, correct?

Are these the only forms I need + the recall letter to bring car up?

Thanks
Vulgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:17 PM   #128
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I'm not too familiar with importing vehicles, but I've been hoping to import an MDX at some point. I've heard that the reputable dealers in Washington will take care of most of the paperwork for you.

Anyone experienced this? Tips would be greatly appreciated!

DK
Daniel_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #129
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,038 Times in 4,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I use this guy all the time. Super reliable and friendly. His prices are extremely competitive:

He's based out of Turlock, CA and does runs up and down the I-5 all the time. Sometimes, it's cheaper to have it shipped but it depends if you value your time. That in itself is another discussion. Airfares fluctuate all the time and you have to factor in expenses such as gas, food, logding (if applicable) insurance, and other unexpected variables. He's always met me right at the border at one of the gas stations in Blaine.

Edit on Thursday, December 6, 2012: Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that Bill took his own life. I am extremely saddened by this news while being very shocked to learn of this. He was a true gentleman and a stand-up model American citizen. Rest In Peace, Bill.
In case anybody is still referring to this thread, I learned that Bill unfortunately took his own life. I tried to contact him for shipping a bicycle not long ago and finally heard from his family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #130
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,842 Times in 3,911 Posts
any updated guides on importing from Japan?

I see this:
http://forums.gtrcanada.com/legalese...xperience.html

and this but from 2009:

http://forums.jdmvip.com/Importing_y...rom_Japan-25-t

I see a few listings on Goo.net exchange and I would like to know what additional costs I should expect onto of their FOB price:

6.1% duty
12% HST
$100 A/C
possible DOT-approved mods
Out-of-Province inspection
day permit

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-29-2013 at 12:38 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM   #131
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
FOB would be car cost so there is also shipping cost from JP > BC, also port fee's about $150. That's pretty much it though.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #132
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,842 Times in 3,911 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
FOB would be car cost so there is also shipping cost from JP > BC, also port fee's about $150. That's pretty much it though.
according to goo-net it's already included

Quote:
FOB price means all costs up to a port, such as cost of vehicle, cost of ground transportation, cost of paperwork for clearing customs and shipping arrangement, so forth.
What are some other reputable exporters? Did you do all the leg work when you imported your supra or did you get a broker?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:18 PM   #133
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Anyone had experience with Maynard Motors in Utah? They have great prices and cars. I called them and they stated they will do the paper work for you and ship the vehicle for $1100 and change equipment to meet Canada standards. I am really interested if the buying process isn't too difficult.

2012 Audi A7 3.0T quattro Prestige, Havanna Black Metallic, AWD, mileage 3,243
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #134
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
most larger dealers in the states are reputable, since they are scared of lawsuits... Audi is going to charge you an arm and a leg if you want them to honour the warranty in Canada, other than that, you just gotta pay 18.1% when you import it, and the RIV fee, and you're all done after you get it inspected

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #135
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
As far as I know Audi honors the factory warranty in Canada
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #136
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
As far as I know Audi honors the factory warranty in Canada
Awesome thanks for the info. Buying an Audi is so much cheaper in the states.
ed99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:09 PM   #137
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Does Audi offer free maintenance in the US? When I imported my BMW, they told me they would honor the MFG warranty here, but not the free maintenance. I'd have to car my car to WA to get maintenance done or just pay for it here... I suspect Audi would do the same.

Also, don't order a recall letter from Audi, I don't know how much they charge, but BMW wanted $500 for an "inspection" and a recall letter. I just got the dealer in the US to provide me with a printout from their system showing the car had no outstanding recalls, and RIV accepted that.

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #138
Mdknight

Does anyone know if there's any hidden sales tax in buying a car from Oregon? I've seen some things which allude to a 7% "leaving state" tax intended to get tax dodgers from other states.

Article.

Does anyone know the specifics on this? I can't find anything else about it. I would imagine since you pay all the taxes coming across the boarder that this wouldn't apply.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:14 AM   #139
RS Veteran

I believe the article is specific to Americans only. Tax rate is based on your zip code.
Quote:
The other option is to find a hot young girlfriend so you're suddenly motivated to get into shape.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #140
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,835 Times in 987 Posts
dukes is correct, canadians shouldn't have to pay any oregon taxes.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #141
Mdknight

The dealers in Washington didn't seem to think I had to pay state sales tax either. It seems like this might be a big win for me.

The tax code is a little complicated, but it seems that if you're just driving out of state then you're golden. No sales tax.

Have any of you paid Washington state sales tax one a car for import?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #142
RS Veteran

If anybody did, they screwed up royally. Should be able to apply for a refund from the state however (but good luck lol!)
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM   #143
Mdknight

I put the deposit it down on the Volt I'm buying. It's about $8K cheaper than up here.

I should be bringing it up to Blaine on Saturday, then moving it across the boarder on Thursday or Friday. Wish me luck.

Also, does anyone know if I need to have the title on hand to buy the insurance binder from ICBC? I'm hoping to get the insurance before I pay the remainder on the car this Saturday. I need insurance before the title because ICBC will be closed when I complete the transaction.

Last edited by Mdknight; 11-05-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:17 PM   #144
RS Veteran

You don't need it in hand. A scanned/e-mailed or faxed copy worked for me three or four times without any problems but make sure your insurance agent is okay with this. If not, time to find a new one.

I take it that you've also taken care of your US CBP export documents prepared in advance?
Quote:
Old 11-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #145
Mdknight

I can't do the US CBP docs until after I pay for it. I'm going to store it in Blaine for a couple days after I pick it up in Seattle, to wait out the 72 hours.

I'll see if I can move the money before the weekend to get the title faster, but for now I think it will have to be a bank draft in USD delivered by hand on Saturday. The lack of weekend hours for the export office and ICBC is killing me here.

I should have the ICBC binder for my trip for Seattle to Blaine, correct? I don't have any other liability insurance as far as I know.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 PM   #146
RS Veteran

Yes, that's correct. The binder ONLY insures the vehicle - nothing else. Double check with your insurance agent in case there have been any changes since.

You are "technically" supposed to buy a permit from the state of Washington. Check with your dealership to see what they say. They should be able to help you with the entire process.
Quote:
Old 09-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #147
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
The rules have recently changed when importing from the US to Canada.

The US seller needs file an EEI (electronic export information) using the AES (automated export system) at least 72 hours in advance of crosssing the border. After filing, the seller will receive an ITN # (internal transaction number) which needs to be provided to the US border agent along with the title. To complete the AES filing, the seller needs a EIN # (federal tax number). Most private sellers won't have this and need to apply for one with the IRS. Not all private sellers will want to do this so if the seller doesn't have an EIN or won't get one then you can't buy the car.

Shopping for a U.S. vehicle? Beware - Winnipeg Free Press

https://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

NEW!
As of April 5,2014 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has begun a 180 days period of "informed compliance" as all exports of used self-propelled vehicles will be required to submit an Electronic Export Information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES).
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #148
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,945 Times in 1,520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyREX View Post
Hey guys..

im planning on buying a car in seattle..Do i need to pay Washington Sales tax?

also..has anyone ever tried to create a 2nd bill of sale with a lowered purchase price ..? there is so much tax!..19.1% in taxes for the car i want to bring in..duty,gst and pst..damn tax

I brought a vehicle up from Washington this spring. The only reason you would pay tax in Washington is if you had the vehicle titled in your name in the state of Washington. Otherwise, have the old title signed over to yourself and register it in Canada after the appropriate inspections.

Tax is Tax. You'd pay ~7% anyhow when you buy a vehicle here. GST and duty are the price you pay to import. There are many horror stories of people getting caught at the border for trying to trick the guard with faulty papers. it's up to you if you want to save a few bucks or not. If you get caught, you will be fined (large) and probably flagged from now on whenever you cross.
Old 01-09-2015, 08:09 PM   #149
RS Lurker, I don't post!

So you have to pay both gst and pst and duty on a japanese car? Where are you getting the 19.1% from? I thought it was just gst and duty?
dfhjyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:23 PM   #150
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
The rules have recently changed when importing from the US to Canada.

The US seller needs file an EEI (electronic export information) using the AES (automated export system) at least 72 hours in advance of crosssing the border. After filing, the seller will receive an ITN # (internal transaction number) which needs to be provided to the US border agent along with the title. To complete the AES filing, the seller needs a EIN # (federal tax number). Most private sellers won't have this and need to apply for one with the IRS. Not all private sellers will want to do this so if the seller doesn't have an EIN or won't get one then you can't buy the car.

Shopping for a U.S. vehicle? Beware - Winnipeg Free Press

https://www.riv.ca/USCustoms.aspx

NEW!
As of April 5,2014 U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has begun a 180 days period of "informed compliance" as all exports of used self-propelled vehicles will be required to submit an Electronic Export Information (EEI) through the Automated Export System (AES).
Actually, you can get the ITN number as the buyer by using a customs broker, fee is about $150.

The process for a US citizen to access the AES system involves studying a book and passing a 30min online test. Good luck finding a seller who is going to go through that just so you can buy their car.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote