REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM   #101
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garage.adrian View Post
I was looking at bringing a car from the states, does anyone know a dealer that will do the whole process for me?

thanks
RS Sponsor LP Auto will handle the whole process for you.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #102
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Hey guys,
can I pick up a temporary operation permit from any vehicle licensing place in Washington. I'll be in Tacoma. I called a DMV there and they had no idea what I was talking about....?
huck-jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:16 AM   #103
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

^^
I found the answer to my question. =)

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistr...ippermits.html

"Any department of licensing (not where you get a drivers permit, but where you get license plates) can issue the permit. You need proof of ownership and insurance."
huck-jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #104
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

So my family was thinking of buying a new car, probably looking at a 2011 m3 coupe

upon checking the MSRPs on bmwusa vs bmw canada, they are $74755USD and $86700CAD respectively for a similarly configured car.

Since the dollar is doing pretty well, will I save any money if I do buy from the USA? or should I just buy from Canada and avoid all this hassle?
DemonsBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:57 PM   #105
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
11K difference? Buy in Canada.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #106
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

so importing a car from the states. I need both an Out Of Province Inspection AND the canadian tire inspection? Can it be done at the same time? (Everything at CND Tire)?
Thanks
fetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 07:16 AM   #107
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

so i have a question if i get the owner of the vehicle to drive up to Canada then sell it to me in Canada do i still have to pay duty? or is it even possible to transfer papers up here?
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #108
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
are they charging HST at the border now or when I insure the car at Autoplan? is aircare required before I can insure it? do they run 1997 cars on the rollers or just scan them trough the OBDII port? also, if i'm buying the car from a private party which Bill of sale should I use? just a generia transfer of ownership paper I can find on google? or is there some specific one they want at the border?

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.

Last edited by xpl0sive; 08-25-2010 at 04:24 PM.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:17 PM   #109
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Hey Guys, I'm looking into importing a car from Portland to Vancouver. Is there any way of avoiding having to spend 72 hours in the US for the paperwork to be processed? Also has anyone used LP auto before? Any idea of how much they would charge to do the import process for me? I've already found a car from a private seller.

Thanks
03 Nissan 350Z- Sold

www.autofxgarage.com
Nippdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:03 PM   #110
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

So in summary,
the only additional costs include

1. 6.1% Duty (if your vehicle has not been produced in North America)
2. RIV Fees of ~$200
3. Out of province inspection fee of ~$75
4. Buying temporary permits
5. Any necessary equipment change such as odometer, daytime running lights

Things like 12% HST, $100 Excise tax for A/C, we would've paid in Canada anyways.

So that's not much additional costs at all, if you can take one day out of work to import the car.
As long as the car was made in North America and you don't have to pay duties, a price difference even low as $2000 would be worthwhile to take the time and effort, in my opinion.
pumpkinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:02 PM   #111
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

WEBSITE UPDATE

Hey guys,
new feature on the website! Now you can build the vehicle you wish to buy locally or import, read reviews, see specifications, all available colors, and then have us provide you with a quote. You can also submit credit applications, or request for us to search US auctions, and our wholesale channels to find you the perfect used car, then handle the entire importation for you.

check it out at http://www.LPauto.ca

www.LPauto.ca
Mr. Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:02 PM   #112
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
Parts Vehicle

I'm hoping to bring in an Aprilia SR50 scooter for spare parts and an engine conversions.
Canada and US only gets the SR50 Factory with a fuel injected engine.
However the Europeans get both the carb'd version and the fuel injected version.

I was looking at the RIV site, but I think those rules only apply to US/Canada imports.
The transport Canada page doesn't seem to mention anything about "use for parts".

1. This will be a less than 15 year old model from the UK, can it still declared under "use for parts".
2. How non-functional does it have to be to be declared as "use for parts"? Can it still be operational somewhat? totally? mostly?

I know it cannot be registered here, but I'm not beating around the bush, it's just for a parts conversion. But I need more than the engine, because part of the electrical system is also different.

And before the obligatory "get a big bike" statements, I just want to say this is my little toy/side project.

thank you!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #113
I am Hook'd on RS

Hey guys, Im trying to import a 2009 Infinity QX56 from California, is it better to fly and get the car or get it transported here.

Who here has dealt with an vehicle transport companies? Its my first time doing this and I'm real nervous about transporting it.
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #114
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I use this guy all the time. Super reliable and friendly. His prices are extremely competitive:
Quote:
Bill Nazar
209-988-9458
billnazar68@gmail.com
He's based out of Turlock, CA and does runs up and down the I-5 all the time. Sometimes, it's cheaper to have it shipped but it depends if you value your time. That in itself is another discussion. Airfares fluctuate all the time and you have to factor in expenses such as gas, food, logding (if applicable) insurance, and other unexpected variables. He's always met me right at the border at one of the gas stations in Blaine.

Edit on Thursday, December 6, 2012: Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that Bill took his own life. I am extremely saddened by this news while being very shocked to learn of this. He was a true gentleman and a stand-up model American citizen. Rest In Peace, Bill.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 12-06-2012 at 02:27 AM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #115
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks for the tip bcrdukes. I'll give him a call. Does he physically drive the vehicle or does he haul it and meet me?
Antwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #116
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
Thanks for the tip bcrdukes. I'll give him a call. Does he physically drive the vehicle or does he haul it and meet me?
He haul's it on a trailer. It's open transport (if that's okay with you) but he takes good care of your car as if it were his own. I've used both open and closed transport. The only real difference I've personally noticed is the jump in cost when using closed transport.

Customer service and satisfaction is his top priority hence why I've used his hauling services twice. He sends you updates via e-mail and/or SMS so you have an idea of where he is. He can only haul it as far as Blaine, as an FYI. He doesn't take it across the border.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 03-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #117
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
^ also remember to call the border 72hours? in advance saying that you will be importing a vehicle
Quote:
fax in a copy of the vehicle title to the U.S. border crossing where you intend to cross. This needs to be done at least 72 hours in advance of when you plan to cross. Note that this does not include weekends. Give them a call to make sure everything is in order and they will be open at your time of crossing.
this is a good site with great info http://www.importcartocanada.info/
Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM   #118
RS Veteran

You can e-mail them the title and bill of sale 72 business hours in advance:

blaine-ofoexport@dhs.gov (that is the correct address - no typos. Address is valid as of Jan. 13, 2011)

On the day of export, make sure you have your bill of sale and title in hand.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #119
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

When one imports a new vehicle from the USA, can it be on a leasing program (48month.etc) or does it need to be a one time cash/full payment transaction
Old 07-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #120
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
you need to have the title in hand when importing. therefore there can't be any liens/leases on the vehicle

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #121
RS Veteran

FYI - Learned this yesterday (the hard way.)

Bring a copy of the ad of your sale (if possible) otherwise, you will have to wait while they verify the sale price.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #122
SiRVs up, dude

random comment, but omg:

1 USA - 2012 Nissan GT-R | Nissan USA Official Site ($89,950)
2 CAN - 2012 Nissan GTR | Nissan Canada ($109,900)

I've never looked into the actual price differences of cars before because I had no idea the difference was so huge! Now I'm tempted to look into this a bit more
Old 03-25-2012, 09:51 AM   #123
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Hey Guys,
I have two questions about importing that I haven't found much of an answer on.
1- If I buy a car in Arizona, do I have to pay the state tax on it? If so, can I apply for a reimbursement later?
2- I'd be driving the car from Phoenix to LA for a Wedding and then to Alberta. It'd be about a one week trip all said and done. What's the best way to register or get a trip permit that will cover me for longer than 3 days?

Thanks much, and great thread!
Free Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #124
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Knight View Post
Hey Guys,
I have two questions about importing that I haven't found much of an answer on.
1- If I buy a car in Arizona, do I have to pay the state tax on it? If so, can I apply for a reimbursement later?
You do not pay state tax because you are buying from out-of-state with the intention of exporting to Canada. I don't know if you can apply for reimbursement later but I can imagine it being a messy process. I may be wrong.

Quote:
2- I'd be driving the car from Phoenix to LA for a Wedding and then to Alberta. It'd be about a one week trip all said and done. What's the best way to register or get a trip permit that will cover me for longer than 3 days?
That's going to be tough. You'll have to buy a freeway permit from each state's DMV in order for you to drive on freeways but it is null and void once you drive on municipal roads. They are meant for one-way trips. You can also buy from ICBC an interim permit but it acts as the same thing. This is a tough one. I highly suggest against this but this is just my opinion. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #125
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Hello everyone, does anyone have recommendations for Subaru dealerships in the states (preferably in Washington)? heard bad things about Walker's but that's about it...
V4NCITYRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote