REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #9401
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,476 Times in 999 Posts
bought BAC a month ago, it's only 1 of 2 individual stocks in my portfolio.
Advertisement
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #9402
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Anyone got a good book for me to read up on all the terminology and theory?

Thanks.
Investopedia - Sharper Insight. Smarter Investing.
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2017, 07:07 PM   #9403
HELP ME PLS!!!

Anyone know of a good online broker for East Asian stock exchanges?
Also, a website for their each regions regulation.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:20 PM   #9404

The best exchange available to us Canadian is interactive brokers.

BUTTTTTT they need a minimal of 10g usd or equivalent and require you to be experienced and balling to gain margin and options privilege.

They do offer the lowest commission rate. Excellent advance platform, better execution than other Canadian brokers. They also have TFSA and rrsp accounts. They let you do more things in these account than other brokers

And you can trade in almost any market.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 PM   #9405
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
IB is the best hand down. Great if you have a small account and are interested in doing a few trades a week. If your account is over 100,000 and do like hundreds of trade a month then they have some really nice discount, too.

Although I'm not sure why you would want to trade on Asian exchanges. Those fuckers are batshit crazy. Indices can drop 7% a day like nothing (Nikkei and Hang Sheng). That would be equivalent to US dropping 1-2%.

Avoid Questrade. Total POS.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #9406
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
Planning to start trading and learning while I'm in school for Finance. What's the lowest commission site? Plan to use TFSA but <10k in funds.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #9407
HELP ME PLS!!!

Not trading on margins or shorting. Investing.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #9408
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Use the banks' platforms for investing/ buying a few time a year. Ask them for Asia market. They should have it.

Gerbs - for learning low commission and market data is key. Questrade allows low required minimum but they will rape you on commission and market data. There is really not many options that is better than IB. And Canada doesn't have Robinhood which is a shame.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 06:24 PM   #9409
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Currently using TFSA HSBC Investdirect

Every transaction I made is required to convert back to CDN $. It is a huge loss to me if I am an active trader in EUR / HK / US market.

I've done some research in regards to local currency settle, IB, TD, HSBC all don't offer settlement to local currency.

Anyone has an alternative to this?

My Buyer / Seller Rating
http://www.revscene.net/forums/60152...o-6-0-0-a.html
Y2K_o__o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:16 PM   #9410
I don't get it

I think it's because you have a TFSA account, which requires money to be only deposited/withdrew as Canadian dollars
If it was a Cash account then you're not required to deposit/withdraw into Canadian.

Not 100% sure though.
But also curious what others have to say
xjc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #9411

You can hold both USD and CAD in TFSA at the same time. I am right now lol.

Ask the bank to not convert your shit. There must be a setting that allow the fund to settle in the transaction currency, i.e. if you sell CAD stock, it will settle in CAD. Same thing with US.

There are things you cannot hold in a registered account like private companies' shares or OTC shares. Any securities (commons or options) traded on NYSE, NASDAQ, TSX is a ok.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:56 AM   #9412
Old School RS

Thanked 3,971 Times in 1,209 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2K_o__o View Post
Currently using TFSA HSBC Investdirect

Every transaction I made is required to convert back to CDN $. It is a huge loss to me if I am an active trader in EUR / HK / US market.

I've done some research in regards to local currency settle, IB, TD, HSBC all don't offer settlement to local currency.

Anyone has an alternative to this?
I use BMO InvestorLine for my TFSA and I can settle/hold in either USD or CAD currency, no issue. I don't know about any currencies beyond USD though.

Mark
Old 01-28-2017, 08:16 PM   #9413

I know this doesn't belong here. But if you are not a multinational billionaire that travels the world like every day. HSBC is not for you. They are the most user unfriendly bank ever, they also expect you to just take the fee they shove up your ass with a smile.

Iif you are a multinational billionaire, you use HSBC for other reason and their fees and their snobbery does not matter.

Get your TFSA out of HSBC lol
Old 02-01-2017, 10:50 PM   #9414
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,417 Posts
Made a bit of dough thanks to AMD today.

Is anyone here invested into Alibaba? I'm thinking Amazon potential here, and they had a good earnings report. Only worry is potential Trump shenanigans.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 12:25 PM   #9415

Thanked 2,427 Times in 921 Posts
So questrade seems to be the cheapest transaction at a penny per stock with a minimum of 4.95 to 9.95

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #9416
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,249 Times in 1,417 Posts
Using CIBC, 6.95 CAD for Canadian and 6.95 USD for American.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #9417
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I'm heavily invested in O&G and despite the OPEC deal to curtail production, my portfolio has decreased quite significantly in value since the beginning of this year as we're still speculating if whether or not Canadian exports will be exempt from the border tax. Who else is in this sector and what are your thoughts?
Lurking2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #9418
HELP ME PLS!!!

Oil and Gas, in my opinion, is on it's way out as a energy storage source. The alternatives are being implemented on a country scale by progressive nations. Once battery technology doubles it's energy density, then it's game over for O&G, in terms of using it as fuel. There are plenty of other applications, such as plastics and synthetic chemicals, but the demand will significantly be reduced.

The leading energy companies recognize this and will have other branches in their company and assets to implement production of batteries, their materials, and assembly lines.

I still believe that the gas production in the US due to fracking will be reduced\, and the introduction of DAPL and KXL will be able to support their import needs. Increasing the market price of oil in the short term. But that's my speculation. The OPEC deal to reduce production is news to me, but I would imagine that it would drive the cost up as well. Additionally, Suncor is in hiring mode now, signaling that they will be increasing production due to KXL approval.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #9419

Yea, dying asset class. And it is way too tough to trade, just like gold. Need a ton of experience. Trading these based on news is a guaranteed way to lose.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:57 PM   #9420

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,188 Posts
Second the sentiment on O&G. OPEC totally fucked up the market.

When they were at record high, OPEC should have come out to suppress the price and never let it get to the point it was.

Because it was so high, it made all the investment into O&G possible. Now we have all sort of ways to extract O&G from the ground and not limited by geographical limitations. And to make the problem worse, it made a huge incentive to develop technology to shift AWAY from O&G, and after so many years, the techs are here and they are in so many levels that there's no way for OPEC to buy everything out.

Thus, you have stronger and stronger supply, while less and less demand. We might see a short-term spike here and there... but as a long term position, it's done.
Old 02-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #9421
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
As an O&G insider I will say that it does seem as though we should expect prolonged depressed prices unless some major political instabilities come into effect which limit production.

Said another way, unless the middle east breaks into an all-out war... the price won't be shooting up anytime soon.

There should still be some attractive LNG plays though.

Even though oil is down, the margins on oil are still far better than those found with solar or wind farm power generation... as such, companies will continue with exploration efforts for quite some time.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:51 AM   #9422
I STILL don't get it

I got into cannabis after the initial spike back in November as it was retracting and consolidating. While it was a small position in Canopy I've been doing quite well despite the drop after earnings. Recently I got into OGI as well. I recall some you getting in on this early. What are your thoughts now on this industry?
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #9423
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,759 Times in 545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
first year of doing my own investing, YTD up 22%
Any advice's to those who want to start up?
What did you have to do, to gain that knowledge to feel confident?
ilovebacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 01:58 PM   #9424

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
I got into cannabis after the initial spike back in November as it was retracting and consolidating. While it was a small position in Canopy I've been doing quite well despite the drop after earnings. Recently I got into OGI as well. I recall some you getting in on this early. What are your thoughts now on this industry?
TBH, i think they are going sideways for a while. Too much speculation going on.

I got in really really early on CGC aka WEED but i wouldn't get in on any now until next wave of legalization news
This post thanked by:
Old 02-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #9425
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
Got in a while ago and still holding. I think the hopeful money is built into the prices already. It'll be small ups and downs till official announcements are made. Then the roller coaster ride really begins. I can't wrap my head around WEED. It's like the Tesla of the marijuana industry.
DGN23 is online now   Reply With Quote