REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 08-05-2007, 10:43 PM   #126
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS

Thanked 6,446 Times in 1,212 Posts
how much you make doesn't mean you know how to use the money wisely

Quote:
Originally posted by 6793026
true. esp. when u work in asia.
yeah. it's great that u're earning 60 K CDN, but if i haev to work from 8-8 PM and work alternate saturdays and then get my face shatted on everyday by my boss.. i rather take a pay cut and leave at a reasonable hour.
salary is lower than Canada, but they don't really need to pay
heavy income tax in asia. FYI, income from stock market is tax free

there's no such thing as 8-8, unless you are a lawyer, doctor, or
financial people, and many companies have 5-working days policy
now.

Quote:
making about $7000 US for 3 months as an research assistant now while being a full time student.

Hopefully I'll get back on track soon!
point and laugh at the exchange rate.
Advertisement
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #127
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,173 Posts
damnit!

i'm 20 and getting 14/hr ....

this thread is really tells me smth
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #128
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by aznboi128
damnit!

i'm 20 and getting 14/hr ....
everyone will kill to make $14/hr man. you BALLER!!!!
Last edited by sexyaccord on 69-69-6969 at 69:69 PM
sexyaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #129
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 2,279 Times in 827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sh0n
I'm not trying to bash the poster here. But a lot of people claim that all the jobs and money are in the trades industry. This is however true at the moment, but a lot of people don't realize the jobs are there because of the real estate and housing boom over the course of the last few years.

I believe that these trades jobs are cyclical relative to the state of the economy. Think about when there is no longer a demand for these workers, or when the construction projects dry out or when there is a state of recession.

My projection is that from here to a time frame of 2-3 years, jobs in the trades industry will be plenty and rewarding. But after that its a guess as good as yours and mine.
I disagree, the demographics of many people in the trades is weighted very severely to the older side. The people getting into trades now are starting the voids being left by all the people on their way out. I've been in construction at least part time since 1992 and although in those 15 years there has been some slower lean years there is always enough work for good skilled workers to stay earning as long as they want. My dad has been in the trades for almost 40 years and has never been out of work. There is always construction whether it's a boom or not.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa

Last edited by quasi; 08-06-2007 at 07:20 PM.
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #130
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally posted by asian_XL

there's no such thing as 8-8, unless you are a lawyer, doctor, or
financial people, and many companies have 5-working days policy
now.
Haha I did my first co-op at a software development company, and they worked us damn hard for little money. Working 9am-10pm was the norm, and working the odd saturday (I managed to dodge this though) was not uncommon. I feel bad for compsci grads. =(

edit: and we were paid by salary so there's no such thing as OT

Last edited by RabidRat; 08-07-2007 at 01:28 PM.
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 AM   #131
My homepage has been set to RS

dam... reading this post IS some what depressing...

shit im 17, an i make 10 + tip an hour... so thats like 20k a year for me if i work full time. i thought that was pretty good.. but looking at .. 19-22age $40-k$60k lol... shit.

Last edited by MelonBoy; 08-22-2007 at 04:42 AM.
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:07 AM   #132
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
I'm not trying to bash the poster here. But a lot of people claim that all the jobs and money are in the trades industry. This is however true at the moment, but a lot of people don't realize the jobs are there because of the real estate and housing boom over the course of the last few years.

I believe that these trades jobs are cyclical relative to the state of the economy. Think about when there is no longer a demand for these workers, or when the construction projects dry out or when there is a state of recession.

My projection is that from here to a time frame of 2-3 years, jobs in the trades industry will be plenty and rewarding. But after that its a guess as good as yours and mine.
Real-estate booms effect people in white collar jobs like they effect trades people.
Generally what contributes to a real-estate boom is low interest rates. In other words easy money. People are buying these huge houses, new vehicles, nice toys; in other words things they would not normally buy.
Of course a real-estate boom effects people that build houses, thats obvious. But when people stop buying houses and money gets tight (higher rates) it's not just these grunts that loose a piece of the pie, it's the real-estate agents, all related factory business (not much cabinets to build anymore is there?) the distributors, etc.

Now you have these realtors, business owners and sales reps not making as much case as they used too. They arn't buying the new vehicles, the expensive toys. Now that industry takes a hit.

It's an endless cycle that effects many people, and all boils down to interest rate prime.
loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:20 AM   #133
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS

Thanked 6,446 Times in 1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MelonBoy
dam... reading this post IS some what depressing...

shit im 17, an i make 10 + tip an hour... so thats like 20k a year for me if i work full time. i thought that was pretty good.. but looking at .. 19-22age $40-k$60k lol... shit.
a lot of them could be BS...

they might make 40-60K a year, but how much do they actually
save? probably less than 10K or something after taxes and
wasted on stupid stuff. The more you make, you will spend more.

if you make 20K...zero spending. Invest your money wisely. Few
years later, you can pay off a downpayment.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:38 AM   #134
Need my Daily Fix of RS

These salary figures are very reasonable in the US. I'm doing better than these numbers.

stay in school, get a good education, and come to the US - good money and opportunities.

I know a lot of people here in US making over 100k USD/year before they hit 28.
veil6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #135

Quote:

I agree completely with the logic, however I think it'll be more like 5-10 years before we see a change. The results of when the economy slows a little, is beyond me though. I know real estate is cyclical, and a lot of trades are relying on how much production has been going on.
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #136

Right now I am only making around $17, 000/ year. When I got to school, and graduate, I will only be making around the same, until I gain some seniority and experience, and then within 5 years Ill be making $25k+(unless I decide on a different career lol)
mc25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #137
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm 22 almost 23 making $42,000.... this thread makes it seem like im not making enuff....about 60,000 in my company means i shud be able 2 project manage the glazing construction of Shangrila downtown.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:20 PM   #138
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 2,279 Times in 827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by FlyNvBaller
I'm 22 almost 23 making $42,000.... this thread makes it seem like im not making enuff....about 60,000 in my company means i shud be able 2 project manage the glazing construction of Shangrila downtown.
In my company you'll make more as a journeyman then you will as a PM then again a PM has some other perks that don't show up on the T4.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #139
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,276 Times in 389 Posts
I made $4.50 an hour at my first job when I was building bicycles. This was quite a while ago.

Now I'm pretty comfortable doing car audio and making enough to pay my mortgage and live quite well. Mind you it does help that I don't drink or do any drugs or smoke.

Formerly from SoundsGood
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:03 PM   #140
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

heres a solution to all ur problems. dun answer to jobs that pay u under 12 bucks an hr. seek the ones that pay u more no matter what it is. when i was outta high school i needed a job to keep my car, my life from suckin, and student loan. also by answerin them they will likely not increase the wage. i work as a cargo uploader now. when we were seekin help for our company there was like no one that was answerin to the job, so we up the wage by 2 bucks an hr and then phone started ringing.
Gpkyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #141
PNF
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally posted by veil6speed
These salary figures are very reasonable in the US. I'm doing better than these numbers.

stay in school, get a good education, and come to the US - good money and opportunities.

I know a lot of people here in US making over 100k USD/year before they hit 28.
bah

I been here quite a few years now and I dont know many people who are making 100k+ per year before 28.

maybe the friends i know from wharton or stern and maybe columbia.

a columbia mba student gets about 85k to start working at a bank here in newark or newport, NJ, the new headquarter or office since 911.

but dont get me wrong, I am sure there are many that are making 100K+ before 28, but there are NOT that many.

I know some, but not a lot (or am I just hanging with the wrong group? i'd doubt that, but its possible)

Where All Lusts began....

08' AW E92 335i a few mods.....

01' SBM IS300 - Stock. Still running strong after 9+ years and 235k+ kms!!!
PNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:59 AM   #142
Need my Daily Fix of RS

That is why i said, "stay in school, get a good education".

If you are willing to work hard to reach your goals, US is the place for you.

Making over 100k/year after a couple of years is pretty standard here in the US for anyone with a good education.

Since you know people in the banking/finance industry, you should know that most will make pass the 100k mark after 5-6 years.

But for me, most of my friends are engineers working in silicon valley and the starting salary with a master's degree is on average 75-80k, not including any perks or bonuses.

The money is there, just have to work to reach it.

Last edited by veil6speed; 08-23-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #143
PNF

Quote:
Originally posted by veil6speed
That is why i said, "stay in school, get a good education".

If you are willing to work hard to reach your goals, US is the place for you.

Making over 100k/year after a couple of years is pretty standard here in the US for anyone with a good education.

Since you know people in the banking/finance industry, you should know that most will make pass the 100k mark after 5-6 years.

But for me, most of my friends are engineers working in silicon valley and the starting salary with a master's degree is on average 75-80k, not including any perks or bonuses.

The money is there, just have to work to reach it.

oooh

Silicon Valley..... that is a completely different area man

I wouldnt be so surprised if u start with 100K if you can work for a major silicon valley company and I am sure there are tons.

I was refering to more of general management, business, finance types of jobs.

working after 5-6 years to get 100K? well, I'd say 50% makes that mark

after 7 years? 80%

and undergrad finance will not make that much (in general)

I had a job as Junior analyst at Bank of America in Portfolio management, and my starting salary back then was like $45K as an undergrad, intern, etc

Now, I am finishing up my MSF and MBA after working for a bit, I be damn lucky to find a job that would start me at 80K+ (I'm 26 now)

More realistically for me, Im happy with 65K, because i know, this is damn temporary~

Then again, maybe I just suk and cant make that mark

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #144
PNF

Oh yea,

I would talk in generality for the purpose of this thread, I mean, there is no point to focus the top 5% of the population who have great experience/tools/school/education/network who can easily make 100K plus.

In general, life is not as easy as it seems. Sure, people can make a decent living from 50K - 80K. but to jump from 80K - 120K, its another hurdle and probably only time will tell.

(I am not speaking for those MDs, Lawyers, ODs, or successful business-owners alike)

I mean general people in buinss/finance, in trades, enginneers, techs, etc etc

Old 08-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #145
HELP ME PLS!!!

the avg wage in canada is only $24k or so ....
johny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #146
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I agree with what you said. But the point of my posts were to let people know that it is possible to reach those numbers the OP posted. A lot of people on this thread were saying how depressing it was to read this so I figured I could share some info. Again I was trying to encourage people, and not to brag about successful stories.

It's never too late to think about your future and to give it another jump start.

Quote:
Originally posted by PNF
Oh yea,

I would talk in generality for the purpose of this thread, I mean, there is no point to focus the top 5% of the population who have great experience/tools/school/education/network who can easily make 100K plus.

In general, life is not as easy as it seems. Sure, people can make a decent living from 50K - 80K. but to jump from 80K - 120K, its another hurdle and probably only time will tell.

(I am not speaking for those MDs, Lawyers, ODs, or successful business-owners alike)

I mean general people in buinss/finance, in trades, enginneers, techs, etc etc
Old 09-21-2007, 06:16 PM   #147
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

For those who are in US working in finance or considering an MBA... the school name / brand definitely matters in terms of MBA.

If you're spending $100k+ on living cost + tuition plus the opportunity costs of 2 years wage (roughly $40k x 2 on avg for typical entrants)... that's $180k down the tube initially.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...rank_brief.php

Starting wages for top 20 schools avg @ $90k US. Too bad the US currency isn't as attractive as it used to be...

PNF if you don't mind me asking which school did you attend? PM me if you dont want to disclose on the forums etc. =) Thx in advance. I'm considering a MBA inthe US now actually.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:29 PM   #148
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally posted by FlyNvBaller
Well.. $60K is not much if you are in Construction.

Working for a development company, I am able to get over $60K easily.
I have seen LOTS of contractors buying fancy cars and $1 million dollar homes.

It's not hard to earn money in Construction nowadays. Just do some side-jobs.. you'll get over $80K easily.
McDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #149
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I make 60k a year, working in IT,

its not WHAT you know, its WHO you know.

Finished college when i was 19, now im 21.

Last edited by Sirien; 11-19-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Sirien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #150
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Re: dont have to deal crack to make +80K

Quote:
Originally posted by Z3guy
Hey 6793026

"26 yrs old 80k-100K? unless you're dealing crack OR if you're in financial banker in investments, u can't get there"

I hate to say it, but you are wrong because when I was 26yrs old I was making 80K+....I was not a investment banker or financial adviser......I was a sales rep for an international tier 1 packaged goods company making $60K base salary + car + $20-25k in annual bonuses....so you can get there legally.....z3guy
LoL!
Gawtti is offline   Reply With Quote